Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matst1

Honestly kinda happy for him. He s back in the city he clearly loves...along with his family. That alone can make a huge difference. He seemed sorta miserable some of the time he was here - which I felt to some degree had more to do with the toll on his personal life. Spurs might also let him rant and rave a bit more. A happy Mou is a crazier Mou - and as long as most of that is in the direction of Pep and Klopp im all for it.
If the guy was on minimum wage I’d understand your sentiment, but the guys a multimillionaire so please stop with the family stuff, they get paid enough to deal with it, and everything else that the job brings.

wr8_utd

:'(
I wish him luck, but not against us. He will win some trophy and I wouldn't be suprised if he won Champions League or som domestic cup this year. He loves underdog mentality and he will get it now.
Based on what exactly? He's not won the trophy in ages and couldn't get past Sevilla with United.

Gavinb33

I'm not a Spurs fan but that sounds more of sour grapes tbh. The meltdown on Cafe on the Jose to Spurs story has been hilarious. Jose is a great manager and I still don't agree with his sacking by United, that was a dumb decision. There is no doubt if United had kept Jose and got rid of Pogba who was the real poison in the dressing room, they would be up and away now. And if Spurs win any silverware that will be much better than anything Poch achieved at the club.
Yep it was Pogba's fault he played both Mctominay and Herrera in a back 3 whilst his 30+ million defender was on the bench.

It was Pogba's fault we kept playing Matic despite him being slower than an oil tanker with a full load

It was Pogba's fault........

You get the point none of this was Pogba's fault

Reactions: SteveJ

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah also not understanding the Jose is going to do well argument. He had an exciting team at United especially when he was second and it still went sideways... The bus parking wasnt as bad when he finished 2nd, infact they played some good football at time but gradually it is as if his defensive mentality of Jose eventually came to the surface. Not sure Spurs just like United fans will want to put up with defensive football long term. Sissoko will be happy though.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If the guy was on minimum wage I’d understand your sentiment, but the guys a multimillionaire so please stop with the family stuff, they get paid enough to deal with it, and everything else that the job brings.
He gets paid enough to not miss his family? Weird post.

always_hoping

I feel that many on here (and at Utd) are gonna get a real wake up call with how Mourinho does at Spuds...

He is a serial winner who is absolutely hell bent on -

A - winning trophies

B - proving after Utd that he isn't 'past it'

I would bet good money that he will end Spurs trophy drought, and also pile massive pressure on Utd / Woodward via his success at Spurs.

Ironically - it could actually be the catalyst for Utd to sort themselves out...
I'll be very surprised if he doesn't win a trophy or two with Spurs. Poch winning none in 5 years with that panel of players was underachieving in my view.

Next sacking United do has to be Woodward. Someone in that chief executive role that has a clue is more likely to be a catalyst to sort themselves out.

hobbers

It's likely to go well at first, I expect a massive improvement in their performances and results for the second half of the season, but the question is how quickly will the wheels start coming off.

What's going to happen in the summer with Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertonghen all likely leaving? Is Levy finally going to open the cheque book to replace them?

If they start next season badly then obviously it'll snowball like it did at Chelsea and with us and he'll end up sacked before the end of the season.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It's likely to go well at first, I expect a massive improvement in their performances and results for the second half of the season, but the question is how quickly will the wheels start coming off.

What's going to happen in the summer with Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertonghen all likely leaving? Is Levy finally going to open the cheque book to replace them?

If they start next season badly then obviously it'll snowball like it did at Chelsea and with us and he'll end up sacked before the end of the season.
See this opinion I do not understand. These players did not have an issue with Poch, these players have an issue with Levvy and not paying them what they are worth. You could put Sir Alex in charge of this lot and unless they're fighting for the league title, its not going to change their attitudes.

This has everything to do with piss poor back end management not the manager.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
His interview was interesting because he made a point about how much he liked the squad and how he didn't necessarily think he immediately needs to sign players. Levy's got him towing the line for now until the first bit of turbulence hits. I honestly can't wait for the Mou show to start in earnest.
Until he gets twatted by a side like Wolves and starts throwing players under the bus.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Thats over the top considering he was BY FAR the best manager United have had post Fergie and thats not even up for debate.

It was not one of his best spells considering his superbly high standards but he was not "awful".
He was poor and not good enough. You're clearly dressing it up in a manner to make to make it seem more impressive than it was.

And him being the best by far is very debateable. He won one trophy of any note - the Europa League while finishing 6th. And the league cup that just makes up the numbers. LVG won the the FA cup, also finished top 4 once and spent much lesser. Both werent good enough but people banging Mourinho's drum in this choice between the lesser evils makes little sense. What next? Ole is the best manager we've had out of him and Moyes. Whoah!!

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Mourinho biggest challenge post Porto if Levy doesn’t open his wallet. However, I am sure levy will start spending. Mourinho can not succeed unless he does. If Levy restricts Mourinho same way, he restricted Poch, he will not win a trophy. However, if Spurs is near the top of the spending chart, he will win a domestic trophy.

I feel he will do well with Spurs as they have an aging team. It will suits Mourinho philosophy. However, like Mourinho previous club, this will most likely be a short term project.
The team is far better than 14th, I just feel it's got nothing much to do with the manager and everything to do with players wanting out and not getting that move. Changing Pochettino, who the players supposedly invited out for dinner because they had no issue with him. To Jose doesnt change the fact a lot of the players want to leave, do they still want to leave? Most likely, they want pay rises or a last big contract, or to win a trophy or two. Jose could get a Christmas clear out however, move on the players that want to go, bring in a Jose signing or two. This would help a lot, but it also would have helped Pochettino.

Who did he bring in for staff?
This is actually a very interesting question, wonder if he will look to bring in someone close to the club. What is Scott Parker up to these days?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yes and he did well in his first season or two with us. Then got bored living in a hotel after a year and decided it was time to start causing trouble, to provoke the board into eventually sacking him with a monster pay-off.
I mean 6th in the league playing shit on stick football isn't something i would call 'done well'. Yes he won two cups but the football on show was pathetic for most times.

Second season until December we played well and then it was the race for second. Overall decent season but i think with that squad (majority were his players) that was fair result

amolbhatia50k

I'm not a Spurs fan but that sounds more of sour grapes tbh. The meltdown on Cafe on the Jose to Spurs story has been hilarious. Jose is a great manager and I still don't agree with his sacking by United, that was a dumb decision. There is no doubt if United had kept Jose and got rid of Pogba who was the real poison in the dressing room, they would be up and away now. And if Spurs win any silverware that will be much better than anything Poch achieved at the club.
Oh yeah it's all Pogba's fault that Mourinho managed the team miles worse than Klopp and Pep did their respective clubs. Or that he signed Fred , Lindelof etc while spending 300 plus million and got no tune out of them. Or that he publically lashed out at our other players. Or that he signed Pogba himself. Yep, all Pogba's doing that.

Needham

Hopefully be as successful as Clough at Leeds...

Go in there, chew the squad out. Lose the dressing room, sacked before the end of the season...
...then takes a generation for the club to recover. In the meantime Liverpool rule England and Europe for a generation....?
Is that what you want? Have you even thought about it?
You will rue the fecking day you wrote that post.

Rob Bowman

Is it just me or does this seem like a bad fit?

Jose's style does not seem similar to the style Spurs have played under Pooch. In addition Jose is use to building teams thru new players that fit his image, not molding what he has to greater heights.

Anyone want to share what i am missing... ?

amolbhatia50k

...then takes a generation for the club to recover. In the meantime Liverpool rule England and Europe for a generation....?
Is that what you want? Have you even thought about it?
You will rue the fecking day you wrote that post.
Don't see Spurs challenging Liverpool and City. It's possible given the great work Pochettino did but I doubt it. I fancy our chances with the right manager more. So no, he will not the the fecking day FFS.

Sadly were going to see a lot of United fans cheering on Spurs now.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Is it just me or does this seem like a bad fit?

Jose's style does not seem similar to the style Spurs have played under Pooch. In addition Jose is use to building teams thru new players that fit his image, not molding what he has to greater heights.

Anyone want to share what i am missing... ?
Not sure it is about style at the moment. It is about winning mentality. Levy wants Spurs to win something. Then it will be down to Levy to sign the players for Spurs to progress even further. We got second with him and should have pushed on from there but decided to be happy with that. If they can win something that will be a big weight off their shoulders.

Judas

Open to offers
Not sure it is about style at the moment. It is about winning mentality. Levy wants Spurs to win something. Then it will be down to Levy to sign the players for Spurs to progress even further. We got second with him and should have pushed on from there but decided to be happy with that. If they can win something that will be a big weight off their shoulders.
We had no choice but to sack him though did we? Seems a bit of a rewriting of history to say it like that. He had to go, or there was no telling just how low he was going to have us finish. He wanted out. For me it almost like he got 2nd and decided he was happy to go, if only he had done.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

feck, that music:lol:

It should be played as a coffin enters the crematorium. Who at Spurs thought that was apt?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
So monies the answer to everything.

SirAF

Ageist
And I thought I was a cynical cnut :lol:

fps

Who will now finish higher in the table, Spurs or Utd?

midnightmare

The Jose love-in on a United forum makes me throw up a bit in my mouth. Man left us in a well of crap so deep it'd take even Fergie 2 seasons to crawl out of - and this after being thankfully refused Boateng, Perisic, Willian and Fonte (and sale of Martial blocked). Yet, some of our "fans" seem to think he was great for us and seem to actively be hoping he succeeds at Spurs. There truly is no accounting for idiots.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Who will now finish higher in the table, Spurs or Utd?
They still have the unhappier players. It comes down to if he can motivate that squad which is all Poch's, to play for him. The style will either suit them or not.

I still feel we're the more progressive team right now

Womp

idiot
Don't think he'll do well. Not sure if he is still has it in him, but if he does, it's certainly not going to be the case without proper spending. Spending Tottenham aren't known for.

Suedesi

Ok so who was a better manager post Fergie?

Moyes? LVG? Ole? all 3 combined don't give you what Jose did. Moyes was horrible, LVG was a failure and Ole is even worse than Moyes.

A very respectable 2nd place finish and 3 trophies and that was a poor stint for his standards.
LVG was better imo. Never feared a top 6 match with him in charge, we pissed on City, Liverpool and Arsenal whereas Mourinho's record was dreadful. LVG was let down by recruitment which reflected in not being able to beat lower/midtable teams, but he was a great tactician.

And FFS Charity shield is not a trophy.

Needham

Don't see Spurs challenging Liverpool and City. It's possible given the great work Pochettino did but I doubt it. I fancy our chances with the right manager more. So no, he will not the the fecking day FFS.

Sadly were going to see a lot of United fans cheering on Spurs now.
Post was kind of tongue in cheek.
Disagree with your last point. Utd fans were already cheering for Spurs under Poch. That's all over now. Far more interested in picking the meat off the carcass he creates in alienating Son etc