Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VJ1762

Twitter is one of the most horrible human inventions. Ever.
The comment sections are horrible in all forms of social media. Although I don't get how anyone has the patience to shift through all those tweets going back to 7 years.

Oldyella

Surely people can now see the extent of the rebuild Jose was having to do at United and how the board badly let him down.

There is also no doubt that many of the players have disgraced the shirt at that time, yes definitely Pogba. Players who thought they were bigger than United and wanted to do it their way. As a lifelong United fan, some of the performances from many players were disgraceful and infuriating. How so many got a free pass beggars belief. The spoilt, selfish, entitled, modern United player.

Spurs is incomparable. The expectations are different. He’s not under pressure to keep at great club at the top or restore a top club to greatness. He doesn’t have to nurse a bunch of inconsistent and sometimes petulant youngsters.

It’s a side maybe just past its peak and needing a rebuild soon but that will be bit by bit with a World Class core.

I wasn’t a fan of Mourinho but his record speaks for itself. United was a mess when he was here.
And a mess after. He didn't fix anything and probably left us in a worse state by spending big bucks on players who had already reached the top of the hill and were about to go over it. Everything was lined up for him at Utd to succeed. Deep pockets, patient fans, good youth coming through, big club reputation yet sensible expectations after a poor few years. He could of proved a lot of people wrong by sticking around for a decent period and bringing through some younger players.

But no, it all went tits up because he got arsey that he couldn't spend massive money on his 3rd cb in 3 years and sulked his way to the sack.

Amerifan

Why does anyone believe Jose can win with the Spurs squad? Its built from the front, the opposite of a Jose squad. Their defense is terrible, which means Jose will keep adding men behind the ball until the goals stop. There goes the service to Kane and Co. He’ll demand defenders in a transfer market where City will be investing, driving up prices.

Not only do I not see him winning a trophy and Spurs, I don’t see them in the CL during his 2 to 3 years there.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why does anyone believe Jose can win with the Spurs squad? Its built from the front, the opposite of a Jose squad. Their defense is terrible, which means Jose will keep adding men behind the ball until the goals stop. There goes the service to Kane and Co. He’ll demand defenders in a transfer market where City will be investing, driving up prices.

Not only do I not see him winning a trophy and Spurs, I don’t see them in the CL during his 2 to 3 years there.
Our defence isn't terrible players wise when you look at it, out midfield is exactly what Jose wants, big physical grafters and we have pace in son and Lucas and of course Kane.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Our defence isn't terrible players wise when you look at it, out midfield is exactly what Jose wants, big physical grafters and we have pace in son and Lucas and of course Kane.
What about if/when Vertonghen and Alderweireld leave? Will Levy give him the money to replace them? Think Phil Jones is available...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Surely people can now see the extent of the rebuild Jose was having to do at United and how the board badly let him down.
I wonder if people can see how badly he let us down. All this stuff about the board but how about

Signed Matic who turned to shit
Signed Sanchez who turned out shit
Signed Lindelof who was shit under him
Signed Fred who turned it shut
Signed Pogba (for a world record fee sanctuoneds by the evil board) and fell out with the 'virus'
Signed Bailly who turned to shit
Signed Mkhitarian who turned to shit
Signed Lukaku who eventually went fat and left the club

This isn't even counting the boring/defensive football, publically throwing tantrums and having us 11 points off 4th in his final season. Jose had lots to do but so do most managers. The ones who do a good job don't leave their team worse off after spending 350 million pounds.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
What about if/when Vertonghen and Alderweireld leave? Will Levy give him the money to replace them? Think Phil Jones is available...
I don't think Jose would have taken the job with out assurances about funds, and Levy wouldn't pay Jose the amount he is if he wasn't going to be true on his word.

We will have to wait and see what happens to the players who want out. I am looking forward to Sataurday, if there is a notable improvement in performance we know Poch had lost it, if its the same old shit it will be worrying.

Shark

@NotShark
I think hiring Jose is a ballsy decision from Levy that'll either go nicely for about two seasons or absolutely disastrous because he's just not the same manager anymore and there's unsettled key players in the squad that he's going to have to get playing. You look at Poch, and yes he didn't win any trophies in his time at Spurs, which Jose may do but in terms of league position, they've fired a manager that has gotten them into consistent CL places over a few seasons, for a manager that still may not be able to do that, while Poch could have eventually turned it around if given some backing. The idea that hiring Jose moves Spurs to the next level or anything close to that is very misguided.

ExecutionerWasp001

Dude, you are the one who replied to my posts and now your posts are pathetic, bringing some irrelevant points. Not sure who how were proven right or how it is even relevant here. And then to call someone as insecure, especially by the guy who read the leaked GOT script as passed it on as his own guess work.
Did he really do this? :lol:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If the guy was on minimum wage I’d understand your sentiment, but the guys a multimillionaire so please stop with the family stuff, they get paid enough to deal with it, and everything else that the job brings.
Don't see what his salary has to do with anything.
Not sure if you have read his book. But if you have you will understand exactly how important his family is to him.

Renegade

I wonder if people can see how badly he let us down. All this stuff about the board but how about

Signed Pogba (for a world record fee sanctuoneds by the evil board) and fell out with the 'virus'

This isn't even counting the boring/defensive football, publically throwing tantrums and having us 11 points off 4th in his final season. Jose had lots to do but so do most managers. The ones who do a good job don't leave their team worse off after spending 350 million pounds.
Quality post.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Don't see what his salary has to do with anything.
Not sure if you have read his book. But if you have you will understand exactly how important his family is to him.
Yeah, I loved the guy, he has a different take on the game than most. His wages take a massive back seat when it comes to his working environment and the happiness of his family. He is a really nice guy and again I will miss him.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's left a mess at every job he left since Chelsea. Inter won the CL but ended up in the dumps after he left them, the Madrid squad survived thanks to spending heavi

Also managed to depress Martial's value, almost pushed Pogba out of the club, sought to purchase Boateng, Mina, Maguire or practically anyone with a pulse after failing twice in center back purchases in consecutive seasons. The man has left bigger misses with each successive job.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Presser at 2pm.
Should be interesting.

“Do you feel you have something to prove after Man Utd?”
No, I zink I did amazing

Red4Life_#7

Sometimes things don't work out, it didn't overall for Jose at United (his most wanted job alongside Madrid). He did incredible to finish 2nd with the team he had here as he said his greatest achievement.
Jose cries too much when things don't go his way and isn't adaptable enough and plus his attitude can create friction that is his problem.

He could do really well at Spurs as it's less pressure with a better first team than he had at United, but it depends on the transfer market if Levy allows him to spend.
People forget how he revolutionized our scouting network, that is something like stowing seeds, it takes years for the fruits to bear.

Jose is one of the most connected managers in world football, he could take Spurs to another level or there could be fireworks... guess we have to wait and see.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
just realised our home game with spurs is on bloody amazon (as is newcastle game over xmas). bugger that

marktan

Quality post.

Whilst true it is still harsh, given that the first year started off very well. Even Rojo was playing great. Then he and ibra got injured towards the end of the season and the wheels fell apart, both from Jose and us.

Matic was very good in the first season
So was Bailly
Mikhi was good
Ibra was good
Pogba obviously was good

That first season felt like we had the opportunity to really push on, but Ibra got injured and we had to sign Lukaku who was never really a good fit, and things carcrashed pretty quickly after (a lot of it down to Jose).

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Mourinho starts by paying tribute to Mauricio Pochettino:

"This club will be always his home. He can come when he wants. When he miss the players, when he miss the people he work with. The door is always open for him. He will find happiness again. He will find a great club again. He will have a great future."

Greck

Mourinho starts by paying tribute to Mauricio Pochettino:

"This club will be always his home. He can come when he wants. When he miss the players, when he miss the people he work with. The door is always open for him. He will find happiness again. He will find a great club again. He will have a great future."
What are the expectations from Spurs fans as far as playing philosophy? Noticed a few are optimistic Jose will adapt and play attacking football

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Mourinho on choosing Tottenham:

“Happiness-wise I am convinced my choice was a great one. [scale of 1-10] Ten. The job? Sometimes results make these decisions. I wouldn’t say it’s a job (to turn things around). The club is huge. I know that I have potentially a great job in my hands.”

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Mourinho on being parachuted into the campaign:

“I had a feeling I was going to get a club mid-season. I knew I would be in a situation where I would get only one or two days before my first game. I cannot come here and think it is about myself. It is about the players and going from a base of stability.”

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
on whether he is a changed man:

"During my career, I made mistakes. I'm not going to make the same mistakes. I'll make new mistakes."

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
More on past mistakes:

“I am humble. I am humble enough to try to analyse my career. Not just the last year but the problems and the solutions. The principle of my analysis was not to blame anyone else.”

Mourinho on taking some time off:

“I’m nobody to advise people but to have a break was very positive for me. Having the first summer where I didn’t work was not good for me. I was a bit lost. But it was good for me. I even learned how to be a pundit.”

Mourinho asked if he's got his mojo back:

"I have to go to Google translate to know what 'mojo' is."

Renegade

Whilst true it is still harsh, given that the first year started off very well. Even Rojo was playing great. Then he and ibra got injured towards the end of the season and the wheels fell apart, both from Jose and us.

Matic was very good in the first season
So was Bailly
Mikhi was good
Ibra was good
Pogba obviously was good

That first season felt like we had the opportunity to really push on, but Ibra got injured and we had to sign Lukaku who was never really a good fit, and things carcrashed pretty quickly after (a lot of it down to Jose).
who forced us to do that?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Mourinho on... pyjamas?

"I think I am Mr. Porto and Mr. Real Madrid and other clubs as well, I am whatever club I am at. I wear the pyjamas of the club and sleep in them. I am a club man, but I am a many club man."

He is being quite clever here

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Mourinho is asked again about this new 'humble' self-depiction:

"I was always humble. The problem was that you didn’t understand that. I was always humble but it was in my way."

Sanchez7

Good post. Mou has always been great at spinning the media narrative through his public appearances and media friends. Woodward may have not backed him for Maguire but for the amount he spent, Jose failed miserably during his time here. Even his Europa league win came as a result of Celta Vigo missing an open goal in the last minute that would have knocked us out and left him with two Mickey Mouse trophies.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Jose Mourinho on the Tottenham squad:

"The best gift are the players who are here. I don’t need new players. I just need to get to know these ones better."

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Jose Mourinho on his first team-talk:

"I told the players I came here because of them. I tried to buy some for different clubs and some I didn’t even try because you know how difficult it was."

Interesting this one, is this Kane?