Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He is a top class manager no matter how a cnut he is. He has a better squad at Spurs and less expectations and less scrutiny at Spurs than at United. He will get them going for sure.
His expectation is to win trophies, the exact same as it was at United. Also, Jose Mourinho will never receive less scrutiny no matter who he manages.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Spurs winning the next few games is very pridictable. I want to see after January, how he gets the team consistently to win.
Yea, same here. I already notice a change in tactics between Mourinho and Poch. I want to see how Mourinho controls the psychological factor post honeymoon period and when players need continued motivation.

Spurs getting a manager like Mourinho before Poch was unthinkable. Which speaks of the incredible revolution and transformation Poch has done

Darlington Padgett

He has everything spurs were lacking, a winning mentality. They suit each other perfectly, tottenham is a few players away from challenging.

steffyr2

It's not hyperbole to say he pushed this club back a few years. Honestly.
At yet we were 2nd with him (and that wasn't good enough for people here, because at that time they thought all those players were outstanding), and we're less than 2nd now without him.
Spurs are up 2-0. Did Mourinho do anything besides just be not-Pochettino?

BlahRules

Yea, same here. I already notice a change in tactics between Mourinho and Poch. I want to see how Mourinho controls the psychological factor post honeymoon period and when players need continued motivation.

Spurs getting a manager like Mourinho before Poch was unthinkable. Which speaks of the incredible revolution and transformation Poch has done
Agreed. Pochetino is what Wenger is for Arsenal.

Renegade

Course you can blame him. It was his job to put things right!
Imagine being paid millions to manage a club, losing your passion for the profession then getting paid millions to leave that job.
I wonder if he lost his passion before or after the huge contract renewal the season before.

mu4c_20le

At yet we were 2nd with him (and that wasn't good enough for people here, because at that time they thought all those players were outstanding), and we're less than 2nd now without him.
It wasn't good enough because the football was absolutely terrible. 300M spent just to hoof it to Fellaini.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How many years you reckon?
A few.
He'll have to be careful doing too well too fast with Spurs. Otherwise he won't be able to call winning the Carabao Cup with Tottenham in 18 months his greatest achievement of all time.

Stactix

And the following season he was deservedly sacked? His 2nd season he amassed enough points to win leagues in previous seasons but Mourinho does not last long at a club, that was never going to change at Utd and it won't change at Spurs.

If Poch deserved to go this season after taking Spurs to a CL final on a budget that would make Mourinho beg for mercy, then Mourinho certainly deserved to go in his 3rd at Utd.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He'll do well for a couple of years, just like he did at United. Can see 2020 and 2021 him doing really well, squeezing out the last of that squads peak levels, before a bigger rebuild is needed. Pochettino I think wanted to rebuild now, while Mourinho can probably get them challenging for a couple of years.

marktan

I don't doubt hell be successful, he's won everywhere he's been, and unlike Pep, with teams that shouldn't have won what they did.

I think this Spurs team is far ahead of what he had at United, and crucially unlike us it has top attackers that we didn't have. That's where we fall short compared to other big teams - to buy players like Son and Moura nowadays you'd have to spunk £70m each. Son, Kane, Moura and Dele are all a step up from our equivalents. If Jose gets better fullbacks and maybe a midfielder in, they'll have a top team.

buckooo1978

he spent 400m - peaked at Christmas in his second season and 2018 was a disaster for Jose and the club from the signing of Sanchez onwards

disrupted the squad, mainly shit football, falling out with everyone, a terrible Summer tour, going into self-destruct mode when he wasn't backed, making points to Woody at the teams expense (playing McTominay at CB) etc

the mood was toxic - delighted when Jose fecked off - he should have been replaced in the Summer if they weren't prepared to back him - his signings in hindsight were really ineffective as he hasnt a plan of how a team should attack

forget the 2nd - we were about 25 points off first and all around us teams underperformed. 3 key signings and Liverpool were revolutionised

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He is going to do great at Spurs. Clearly has a point to prove and i expect this season to be a very long "pre season" for him and his side in preparation for MAYBE doing a surprize title push next season IF Spurs allow him to invest in the summer.

steffyr2

he spent 400m - peaked at Christmas in his second season and 2018 was a disaster for Jose and the club from the signing of Sanchez onwards

disrupted the squad, mainly shit football, falling out with everyone, a terrible Summer tour, going into self-destruct mode when he wasn't backed, making points to Woody at the teams expense (playing McTominay at CB) etc

the mood was toxic - delighted when Jose fecked off - he should have been replaced in the Summer if they weren't prepared to back him - his signings in hindsight were really ineffective as he hasnt a plan of how a team should attack

forget the 2nd - we were about 25 points off first and all around us teams underperformed. 3 key signings and Liverpool were revolutionised
Wonder if we'll get more info about this period of time, because it was definitely weird. Especially now that we see that Jose is welcoming a DOF....maybe he sees that as a big problem with his time at Utd?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Not looking forward to when we play Spurs now. Mourinho will be more motivated than ever to defeat us.

it would be funny if by the end of the season, Mourinho finishes above Ole.
Would . not be surprising IMO.

RORY65

It's one game against a terrible team. I still don't think he'll do anything there, his methods are outdated and he won't be able to help himself making things toxic when he can't get near City and Liverpool. People talk about he has a better squad than he had here but he will need to strengthen that whole back 5 and with a much smaller budget than he had here (which he spent disastrously and then bitched and moaned about).

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This match has been a carbon copy of his first game for us at Bournemouth.

Good start for him anyway. I think he'll do alright for 2 years there, before the inevitable collapse. I could see him winning them a League Cup. He cares a lot about that comp.

Not looking forward to when we play Spurs now. Mourinho will be more motivated than ever to defeat us.

it would be funny if by the end of the season, Mourinho finishes above Ole.
He probably will finish above us. He's outdated and stubborn, with a tendency to self destruct, but he's a considerably better manager than Ole. People forget that he finished 2nd with us just 18 months ago.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
It's one game against a terrible team. I still don't think he'll do anything there, his methods are outdated and he won't be able to help himself making things toxic when he can't get near City and Liverpool. People talk about he has a better squad than he had here but he will need to strengthen that whole back 5 and with a much smaller budget than he had here (which he spent disastrously and then bitched and moaned about).
This! I've no idea how Pellegrini is still in a job. I'd rather wait and see how Mourinho fares against somewhat competent defences and decent attacks. By the time Spurs play Chelsea we should have a decent idea of what they're really capable of under him. I've had people say to me that they'd have won the CL final with him. Maybe, but they wouldn't have reached the final under him to begin with...

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Just turned BT and they mentioned something about him admitting he was unhappy with us, whats that about?
First time he admitted it. 2 weeks ago there was an article on The Athletic about it. Small part...

Mourinho had been fluttering his eyelashes in United’s direction for years and even went through a bizarre routine at one of Madrid’s press conferences whereby he talked about staying in every Friday night to watch Paddy Crerand’s subscription-only MUTV show. Then he took the job and it became a standing joke behind the scenes that he seemed to think everything about the club, from the training ground to the food, was “shit”.

One of the chefs heard about it at one point and, rather gloriously, bit back. “This food won 13 league titles.”

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A
Spurs winning the next few games is very pridictable. I want to see after January, how he gets the team consistently to win.
I'm sure he can do it. Question is can he do better than Pochettino and match City and Liverpool. I'm doubtful but he used to be a top manager so you never know. One things for sure, Pochettino has created brilliant foundations there. Whether they spent or not he's created a proper football team. And Mourinho would be hoping to reap the rewards of that, and of course the things that he brings to the table in terms of results and mentality.

Matst1

Isn't at United so now the press and the plastic impatient rabble who wanted him out every week all love him again. Football is full of cnuts basically.
This is so annoying, I remember all the doom and gloom from the press saying it was going to be so toxic, we’re taking a huge gamble etc. of course now it’s not us, everything is rosy and all that doesn’t apply to Spurs. All those decades of winning really pissed a lot of journos off