Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fezzerUTD

Given the circumstances can't say he did wrong to see out the game with the subs and tactical changes. At the same time I can't help but relief it's no longer our problem. Spurs fans can get use to it because it's going to be their modus operandi every week for the next two and a half years
Did you watch man utd vs liverpool 2nd half?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Something something the board, something something best accomplishment
Well he did finished second and won 2 trophies with "shit squad which is not better than Wolves or Leicester team and with which 6th place is reality". :nervous:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Well he did finished second and won 2 trophies with "shit squad which is not better than Wolves or Leicester team and with which 6th place is reality". :nervous:
Which he himself called his greatest accomplishment. The truth is, we were miles and miles behind City in terms of quality and had any other top teams bothered to show up that year we might have ended lower because despite getting 2nd we were hardly stellar.

mu4c_20le

Err, that was a different squad, before Ole gutted it. He had Zlatan, Herrera, Fellaini, Mhki, etc

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Which he himself called his greatest accomplishment. The truth is, we were miles and miles behind City in terms of quality and had any other top teams bothered to show up that year we might have ended lower because despite getting 2nd we were hardly stellar.
Still finished ahead of our lot who had a better squad and, according to the relevant thread on here, a better coach (I don't agree with it personally, but meh).

Dante

Average bang
82 points would have won in the title in several seasons. It was a really good points haul, regardless of how consistent those around us were.

TheReligion

Abusive
Going to be very interesting how this pans out. Spurs will likely need a total rebuild in the summer. Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Erickson all look very likely to leave so that's three first choice players to replace. Add Danny Rose to that list and Wanyama and that makes five. Then you have to look at Aurier who I don't think is much good nor do I see Jose putting up with his brain dead defending. Question marks also hang over Lloris and Sanchez who seems very similar to Eric Bailly.

Before investing into building a squad you have to think Jose is going to need to bring in about five new players in the summer just to replace those who are outgoing. Add replacements to those who aren't upto to it and you could be looking at 6/7.

For all those new faces to settle and gel you're looking at a big big ask. Absolutely criminal they have all been allowed to run their contacts down and is going to cost an absolute fortune to get right. Do you trust Jose to get such a rebuild right? Will he be at the club long enough to get it settled? Or could he leave the club a total mess with a bunch of new signings which have cost a fortune and fit his style but won't necessarily have any longevity?

This could really be make or break for Spurs as they don't have the might of a United or Chelsea to put it right with lots of cash.

In Rainbows

82 points would have won in the title in several seasons. It was a really good points haul, regardless of how consistent those around us were.
It wouldn't have won 2nd place trophy last season. It wouldn't have won the 2nd place trophy in 2017. Certainly wouldn't have won the 2014 2nd place trophy. Not even 2012 or 2010

Stop trying to glorify something like that. It's desperate.

ColvaleGoa

Going to be very interesting how this pans out. Spurs will likely need a total rebuild in the summer. Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Erickson all look very likely to leave so that's three first choice players to replace. Add Danny Rose to that list and Wanyama and that makes five. Then you have to look at Aurier who I don't think is much good nor do I see Jose putting up with his brain dead defending. Question marks also hang over Lloris and Sanchez who seems very similar to Eric Bailly.

Before investing into building a squad you have to think Jose is going to need to bring in about five new players in the summer just to replace those who are outgoing. Add replacements to those who aren't upto to it and you could be looking at 6/7.

For all those new faces to settle and gel you're looking at a big big ask. Absolutely criminal they have all been allowed to run their contacts down and is going to cost an absolute fortune to get right. Do you trust Jose to get such a rebuild right? Will he be at the club long enough to get it settled? Or could he leave the club a total mess with a bunch of new signings which have cost a fortune and fit his style but won't necessarily have any longevity?

This could really be make or break for Spurs as they don't have the might of a United or Chelsea to put it right with lots of cash.
He might come for some of our deadwood like Jones ,Bailly...win win

Dante

Average bang
It wouldn't have won 2nd place trophy last season. It wouldn't have won the 2nd place trophy in 2017. Certainly wouldn't have won the 2014 2nd place trophy. Not even 2012 or 2010

Stop trying to glorify something like that. It's desperate.
You're shifting the goalposts. I never said we'd have won the title in those seasons.

82 points is objectively a really good points haul. Better than SAF got when he won the title with in 2011, for instance.

There's no such thing as a 2nd place trophy.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

The defence needs a lot of work but outside of that I think we are fine - attack is clearly very good and I think we have decent options in midfield also. Eriksen has been so bad this season that it has been no detriment to the team to not play him, we are already preparing for life without him.

The Tottenham squad suits him right from the off, just as SAF's final United team would've done. Going from LVG to Mourinho was a fecking terrible business and football decision, Mourinho needed to rip up the entire side, he won't need to do that at Spurs.

In Rainbows

You're shifting the goalposts. I never said we'd have won the title in those seasons.

82 points is objectively a really good points haul. Better than SAF got when he won the title with in 2011, for instance.

There's no such thing as a 2nd place trophy.
Shifting of goal posts? The point was to highlight how getting that points haul matters not. A bunch of seasons there were better 2nd place finishes in terms of points haul, and we don't list those as achievements for those respective sides. The 2nd place points haul argument is just to make it seem like Mourinho did a better job than he really did. It's not an achievement despite him claiming it is and I've no idea why the pro-Mourinho crowd keeps bringing it up. It wasn't good enough. After all that money spent, he couldn't muster a title challenge. That's a fact. Dressing it up doesn't change that fact, making that season a total failure based on expectations set by he, the fans, and his own personal history.

Dante

Average bang
Shifting of goal posts? The point was to highlight how getting that points haul matters not. A bunch of seasons there were better 2nd place finishes in terms of points haul, and we don't list those as achievements for those respective sides. The 2nd place points haul argument is just to make it seem like Mourinho did a better job than he really did. It's not an achievement despite him claiming it is and I've no idea why the pro-Mourinho crowd keeps bringing it up. It wasn't good enough. After all that money spent, he couldn't muster a title challenge. That's a fact. Dressing it up doesn't change that fact, making that season a total failure based on expectations set by he, the fans, and his own personal history.
I'm in the pro-Mourinho crowd?

Jesus Christ. You're so blinded by your own agenda, that you assume everyone has the same affliction.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Absolutely criminal they have all been allowed to run their contacts down and is going to cost an absolute fortune to get right.
Vertonghen will be 33 when his contract expires at the end of the season, so nothing odd or unusual there. Very few european level teams will offer extensions to players of that age until a lot closer to the end of their contract.

Alderweireld has been known and expected for a few years and he wouldn't extend (apparently) due to Poch, and he's now suggesting he might extend.

Eriksen is now so incredibly cack that he's neither a first choice player, nor an issue to replace. Lo Celso was bought to replace him ahead of time, so not really an issue at all.

Wanyama and Rose both have until the end of next season, with the former being all but gone already anyway as he's a permacrock. Skipp has replaced him for all intents, so not really a drama there either. We need to look at full-backs for sure, maybe bin off Lloris finally, but that's no different than City or Liverpool have done in recent seasons to great success.

Mourinho has absolutely twatted the points haul of any other United manager post SAF. You seem to like mentioning facts but that right there is a simple fact. He's been our best manager post Ferguson by a mile.

That's not pro Mourinho, we were right to sack him and should never have appointed him post LVG, if he was ever going to be appointed United manager then directly after Fergie would've been perfect, the squad, the outlook, everyone would've been much more ideal for him then.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Do you think any other manager in the world would have got us closer to City that year with the squad we had?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Ohhhhhh Jose at the wheel, great first half, haven’t seen us press like that in soo long. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

mu4c_20le

Ohhhhhh Jose at the wheel, great first half, haven’t seen us press like that in soo long. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
That's either a bounce, or the players downed tools for poch.. either way though, his team selection today was spot on, and that alone justifies the change from poch, who was playing Lucas all over the place except RW.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That's either a bounce, or the players downed tools for poch.. either way though, his team selection today was spot on, and that alone justifies the change from poch, who was playing Lucas all over the place except RW.
It’s he first time in nearly a year I could see what we were trying to do, and in the first half at least we did it very well. I do think the players had grown tired under Poch, the players looked a lot more up for it, West Ham always up there game playing us so to be honest I wasn’t that sure before the game.

RedorDead21

Win win for me. I miss Jose at the top of his game more than pretty much any other realistic scenario right now in the PL. that’s all I wanted for him with us. The charismatic smirk and the wind ups really missing from the sterile football lansdscape of today. And if it means denying Klopp any trophies, even better.

United58

Really? That's strange to hear considering how little we pressed under Mourinho (the main reason we had so many muscle injuries and ran out of steam at the tail end of last season was Olé implementing a pressing system in a team that wasn't physically trained to press) and how much I've heard about Poch's pressing system.

Did Poch shift from pressing, or were the players downing tools?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Regarding the poll: yes, but no top tier trophies like league, CL, FA cup (ok, maybe the last one, since a lot can happen in cup competitions).

TheReligion

Abusive
The Tottenham squad suits him right from the off, just as SAF's final United team would've done. Going from LVG to Mourinho was a fecking terrible business and football decision, Mourinho needed to rip up the entire side, he won't need to do that at Spurs.
He won't have a choice to rip up the team. That's the point!

TheReligion

Abusive
Vertonghen will be 33 when his contract expires at the end of the season, so nothing odd or unusual there. Very few european level teams will offer extensions to players of that age until a lot closer to the end of their contract.

Alderweireld has been known and expected for a few years and he wouldn't extend (apparently) due to Poch, and he's now suggesting he might extend.

Eriksen is now so incredibly cack that he's neither a first choice player, nor an issue to replace. Lo Celso was bought to replace him ahead of time, so not really an issue at all.

Wanyama and Rose both have until the end of next season, with the former being all but gone already anyway as he's a permacrock. Skipp has replaced him for all intents, so not really a drama there either. We need to look at full-backs for sure, maybe bin off Lloris finally, but that's no different than City or Liverpool have done in recent seasons to great success.
Think you're playing it down which is understandable but if truth be told you have a number of big players which need replacing and it will cost a great deal. Big transition for Spurs as the heart of the side of the past 5 years is going to be broken up.

GlasgowCeltic

The fact the attack is already in place is important for him. It’s the defence that needs rebuilding and that’s the and that’s more or less what you hire Mourinho for

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Really? That's strange to hear considering how little we pressed under Mourinho (the main reason we had so many muscle injuries and ran out of steam at the tail end of last season was Olé implementing a pressing system in a team that wasn't physically trained to press) and how much I've heard about Poch's pressing system.

Did Poch shift from pressing, or were the players downing tools?
Posh’s press has been nonexistent for months, I don’t think the players hated Poch I just think the atmosphere got stale and his authority had dwindled.

United58

Posh’s press has been nonexistent for months, I don’t think the players hated Poch I just think the atmosphere got stale and his authority had dwindled.
Jose showed with us that not pressing is putting yourself at a severe disadvantage in this league, it'll be interesting to see how he continues with ye.

TheReligion

Abusive
What point?

Ahhh, I see your post above. But I disagree, the LVG side was so far from a Mourinho side it'll needed sending to the scrap heap. This Spurs side will still have plenty over the next couple of years to help Mourinho mould rather than tear up and start again.
I just think summer will be crucial for Spurs. They look likely to have 4/5 senior first team players moving on and they'll need to recruit well just to get back on an even footing.

That said a good point was made that the attack is already in place to a degree. Levy will need to back him heavily though.