Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DoomSlayer

Do our own fans even want to beat Spurs at this point? It feels like a lot would love it if Tottenham are more successful on our expense so Mourinho gets to prove his agenda and make himself look the big man yet again.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Shifting of goal posts? The point was to highlight how getting that points haul matters not. A bunch of seasons there were better 2nd place finishes in terms of points haul, and we don't list those as achievements for those respective sides. The 2nd place points haul argument is just to make it seem like Mourinho did a better job than he really did. It's not an achievement despite him claiming it is and I've no idea why the pro-Mourinho crowd keeps bringing it up. It wasn't good enough. After all that money spent, he couldn't muster a title challenge. That's a fact. Dressing it up doesn't change that fact, making that season a total failure based on expectations set by he, the fans, and his own personal history.
Yes, i agree that that 2nd place wasn't exactly title challenge and it is not that much of a result but that story about 2nd place started when pro Ole people started to talk how this squad is shit and that our reality this season is to finish 6th and if we finish 4th it will be miracle

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I just think summer will be crucial for Spurs. They look likely to have 4/5 senior first team players moving on and they'll need to recruit well just to get back on an even footing.

That said a good point was made that the attack is already in place to a degree. Levy will need to back him heavily though.
He has paid nearly £20m plus £15m a year to get him, I think if Toby and Verts go there will be money, I think we will sign Bruno. Wanyamma is a burst balloon and Aurier could stay.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Jose is a narcissist and egoist, he is absolutely determined to prove a point in the PL after his Chelsea and OT sackings. Don't underestimate the guy's determination.

I'm being a drama queen for supporting my team? I don't think so.
You're being a drama queen for making ridiculous posts making out as though any United fan wants us to get beat by Spurs or for Spurs to do better than United. Nothing about your post was "supporting your team", just whining on about Jose and Spurs and some ludicrous idea you've made up.

Get a fecking grip of yourself man. If some people like Jose and wish him all the best, so be it, they certainly don't want him to beat United for Pete's sake.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Mourinho has absolutely twatted the points haul of any other United manager post SAF. You seem to like mentioning facts but that right there is a simple fact. He's been our best manager post Ferguson by a mile.

That's not pro Mourinho, we were right to sack him and should never have appointed him post LVG, if he was ever going to be appointed United manager then directly after Fergie would've been perfect, the squad, the outlook, everyone would've been much more ideal for him then.
He also spent more than any other manager post SAF.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Think you're playing it down which is understandable but if truth be told you have a number of big players which need replacing and it will cost a great deal. Big transition for Spurs as the heart of the side of the past 5 years is going to be broken up.
Like who though? There are only two 'big' players that might need replacing - Eriksen and Toby - both of whom have been replaced in advance.

Foyth and Sanchez were bought to replace Vertonghen and Sanchez in the longer term, and Tanganga looked good in pre-season.

City need it more than we do right now.

He also spent more than any other manager post SAF.
Well @MackRobinson Moyes had no time to spend, and nor has Ole so far yet he's already giving it a right go. So what you're saying Mack is "he spent more than LVG* and won more, and finished with miles more points".

* The spending difference wasn't even that huge:
LVG yr 1: 195,35 mil. €
LVG yr 2: 156,00 mil. € - 66 points

JM yr 1: 185,00 mil. €
JM yr 2: 198,40 mil. € - 81 points

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Like who though? There are only two 'big' players that might need replacing - Eriksen and Toby - both of whom have been replaced in advance.

Foyth and Sanchez were bought to replace Vertonghen and Sanchez in the longer term, and Tanganga looked good in pre-season.

City need it more than we do right now.
Eriksson, Toby and Verts. Rose is also heading for the exit and isn't happy. Your full back options aren't up to much and to put your faith in Foyth and the hit and miss Sanchez would be crazy.

Whatever way you dress it up you are facing a rebuild.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Eriksson, Toby and Verts. Rose is also heading for the exit and isn't happy. Your full back options aren't up to much and to put your faith in Foyth and the hit and miss Sanchez would be crazy.

Whatever way you dress it up you are facing a rebuild.
Just to get it out the way, can the internet please learn to spell Eriksen? He's been around long enough. He's not a swedish manager, or a mobile phone.

Rose literally said last week he's not leaving before his contract ends (2021).
Eriksen has already been replaced, for the 3rd mention (Lo Celso) when we expected him to leave in the summer.
Alderwiereld has already been replaced (Sanchez and Foyth) when we expected him to leave two summers ago.
Vertonghen hasn't left - he's an old player who won't get long term contracts. He's no different to Ashley Young

To reverse it, here's whose contracts are ending for United this Summer:
  • Matic
  • Bailly
  • Fosu-Mensah
  • Young
  • Grant
You also have like 1 senior striker. If Spurs are facing a rebuild due to the reasons above, I dread to think what you call United's task. As mentioned, City are in a similar situation.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Well @MackRobinson Moyes had no time to spend, and nor has Ole so far yet he's already giving it a right go. So what you're saying Mack is "he spent more than LVG* and won more, and finished with miles more points".

For accuracy:
LVG yr 1: net 146,09 mil. €
LVG yr 2: net 59,93 mil. € - 66 points

JM yr 1: net 137,75 mil. €
JM yr 2: net 152,9 mil. € - 81 points

So why are we surprised JM spent more and won more? Before the second-place season did he not say he thought United were equipped to win the title? Is that not failing expectations?

TheReligion

Abusive
Just to get it out the way, can the internet please learn to spell Eriksen? He's been around long enough. He's not a swedish manager, or a mobile phone.

Rose literally said last week he's not leaving before his contract ends (2021).
Eriksen has already been replaced, for the 3rd mention (Lo Celso) when we expected him to leave in the summer.
Alderwiereld has already been replaced (Sanchez and Foyth) when we expected him to leave two summers ago.
Vertonghen hasn't left - he's an old player who won't get long term contracts. He's no different to Ashley Young

To reverse it, here's whose contracts are ending for United this Summer:
  • Matic
  • Bailly
  • Fosu-Mensah
  • Young
  • Grant
You also have like 1 senior striker. If Spurs are facing a rebuild due to the reasons above, I dread to think what you call United's task. As mentioned, City are in a similar situation.
None of those players at United are first team regulars. We are actually trimming down our squad. It's a silly comparison to make.

1) Alderweireld - Your best CB
2) Vertonghen - Your next best CB
3) Erikson - Your best CM

All look like they are gone and will need replacing. Danny Rose basically said he'll stay and run down his contract. Clearly issues with Levy and the club as why say that. The club were pushing to sell him in the summer too. He's probably your best full back.

If you can't see the issue in relying on Foyth, Sanchez and Aurier then you're not thinking straight.

United have already started their rebuild. Trimming the squad, promoting youth and making new solid fit signings. You have far too many first team players who look likely to leave and Jose needs to fix it one way or another. You also have a batch like Sissoko, Aurier, Sanchez who aren't really that good.

Giggsyking

Net spent my friend net spent

cjj

Supports
Spurs
None of those players at United are first team regulars. We are actually trimming down our squad. It's a silly comparison to make.

1) Alderweireld - Your best CB
2) Vertonghen - Your next best CB
3) Erikson - Your best CM
I can instantly tell you don't pay a lot of attention to spurs matches.

Young has played more games for United this season than Vertonghen has for spurs. And for the 4th time, they've already been replaced.

Eriksen has been awful since maybe March now and is no longer a first team regular either. I very much doubt Mourinho will keep him longer than he has to. Lo Celso has been brought in to replace him, and NDombele will get in ahead of him when he's fit too.

All look like they are gone and will need replacing. Danny Rose basically said he'll stay and run down his contract.
That contract ends in 2021. Exactly the same amount of time Pogba, Rojo, Lingaard and Romero have on their contracts.

Clearly issues with Levy and the club as why say that. The club were pushing to sell him in the summer too. He's probably your best full back.
Rose is a player who thinks the world is against him, and he's been injured and terrible for several seasons - he's pretty much our worst full back, a liability.

If you can't see the issue in relying on Foyth, Sanchez and Aurier then you're not thinking straight.

United have already started their rebuild. Trimming the squad, promoting youth and making new solid fit signings. You have far too many first team players who look likely to leave and Jose needs to fix it one way or another. You also have a batch like Sissoko, Aurier, Sanchez who aren't really that good.
Sanchez is barely older than Tuanzebe and you think he's "really (not) that good".

I'm stepping back from this now, as it's turned from a credible debate into Talksport levels of nonsense.

TheReligion

Abusive
I can instantly tell you don't pay a lot of attention to spurs matches.

Young has played more games for United this season than Vertonghen has for spurs. And for the 4th time, they've already been replaced.

Eriksen has been awful since maybe March now and is no longer a first team regular either. I very much doubt Mourinho will keep him longer than he has to. Lo Celso has been brought in to replace him, and NDombele will get in ahead of him when he's fit too.

That contract ends in 2021. Exactly the same amount of time Pogba, Rojo, Lingaard and Romero have on their contracts.

Rose is a player who thinks the world is against him, and he's been injured and terrible for several seasons - he's pretty much our worst full back, a liability.

Sanchez is barely older than Tuanzebe and you think he's "really (not) that good".

I'm stepping back from this now, as it's turned from a credible debate into Talksport levels of nonsense.
What you on about? Vertonghen has been injured so that skews the strawman you're making. If you're trying to suggest Young is first choice for United when we have AWB and Shaw then Williams and Dalot you clearly don't know much. The contrast is if you were picking your best XI all these wantaway players would be in it. That's worrying and shows how much of a rebuild you have to do when they all leave.

Not sure what the ages of Sanchez and Tuanzebe have to do with anything. The point is you can't rely on Sanchez as he's as erratic as Bailly. He might come good but he can't be your main man right now and you know it. He's not a patch on Alderweireld or Verts.

Like it or not Rose is better than Walker Peters, Sessignon and Aurier. Erikson hasn't been great as he wants to leave and you were too greedy to move him on. He's openly said he wants a new challenge. He's a better player than Lo Celso and NDombele - not sure how you can argue against that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I expect him to do well with a better squad than what he had here. Just as I didn't expect Solskjaer to do better than Mourinho with what we have.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He will have more control over what's happening on the pitch, that's for sure.

He plays ugly football to win matches whenever required. Here He get boos and complains from all the pundits for playing like that. At Spurs I think there will be less pressure to play good football, They have a good number 9, fast as feck wingers and overall the squad is just better than when He first came to United. Jose's dream.

Our "United way" got in the way of managers who didn't want to fit in, doesn't matter if They won lots of trophies. Van Gaal, Jose failed. It's annoying to say but most clubs just have a better pool of managers to pick from, simply because They don't have <<Insert name of the club here>>'s way. Spurs' way is literally bottling in big matches and that is one thing Jose will improve on (by playing 7 defenders).

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Do you think any other manager in the world would have got us closer to City that year with the squad we had?
I dont know, hes certainly one of the best of pushing his squad to the absolute limits and he does win a lot of trophies, but on the other hand, his style of management does not seem to be sustainable for longer periods (hence he falling out with his players at RM, Chelsea and here) and hes not one who builds for the future exactly.

With us it was wrong squad at the wrong time. Had he gotten here instead of Moyes or even LvG i am pretty sure he would have won a league or two.

SteveW

Well he did finished second and won 2 trophies with "shit squad which is not better than Wolves or Leicester team and with which 6th place is reality". :nervous:
That 2nd was a bit of a gimme to be fair. Most of the usual top 4 were atrocious that season. We were awful for most of it ourselves and city won the league by a million points. Winning the EL covered his arse for finishing 6th.

My problem with Jose was his signings. He wasted half a million and we ended up worse when he was sacked than when he joined. That's incredibly wasteful and we are still paying for it.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Jose is a narcissist and egoist, he is absolutely determined to prove a point in the PL after his Chelsea and OT sackings. Don't underestimate the guy's determination.
you think after his Chelsea sacking he didn’t want to prove something at United? A leopard can’t change its spots. It amazes me how when people get asked about something they have clear idea. Give them little bit of pr and most fall for it and change their views

a week ago if someone said how would Mourinho and Levy relationship work. Most would say it would end in tears. Spurs just built a new stadium and are financially strained. Mourinho in every big job has used the media to pressure the board for more money. You guys think Mourinho will be happy watching Liverpool and Man City spend twice as much as him and just continue be level below them? He will go to war for more money and it will get ugly

For accuracy:

So why are we surprised JM spent more and won more? Before the second-place season did he not say he thought United were equipped to win the title? Is that not failing expectations?
Ahhhhhhh we're using net spend, lolz. We've gone all Liverpool.

Of course Mourinho failed ultimately at United, is anyone disputing that?

Net spent my friend net spent
Net spend, sure, get all Liverpool about it. Still doesn't change the point I was making, Ole and Moyes didn't/haven't had time to spend and maybe won't get time. Mourinho earned his time, made the club money with the EL win in year 1 and outspent LVG but also got a shit load more points than him.

Your point?

Untd55

For accuracy:

Net spend is a load of rubbish as it is heavily dependant on who the manager inherited to sell.

Mourinho inherited nobody of high value. Solskjaer inherited Lukaku, who he sold for £70m. Who gets the credit for that?

He has also inherited Pogba, who could go for £100m. It is easy to get a lower net spend when you have such valuable players to sell.

I know this is not about Solskjaer, but don't you see the issue with using net spend. Gross should always be used

Mourinho should get the credit as he has invested in these players who we are able to get our money back on. That is the truth.

Oldyella

Think he will do well, maybe not league winning but having a go, maybe a cup or two. The spurs squad just feels more 'him' than ours ever did. Great attackers he can almost leave to it, aggressive team and a lot of older heads.

Stuck between wanting him to do well as always liked the bloke, and wanting him to crash and burn given what a prick he sometimes was with us.

DoomSlayer

You're being a drama queen for making ridiculous posts making out as though any United fan wants us to get beat by Spurs or for Spurs to do better than United. Nothing about your post was "supporting your team", just whining on about Jose and Spurs and some ludicrous idea you've made up.

Get a fecking grip of yourself man. If some people like Jose and wish him all the best, so be it, they certainly don't want him to beat United for Pete's sake.
Not sure why you think you get to say what I should be doing. I've seen people say they want us to lose so Ole gets sacked, our fanbase is pathetic right now and the fawning over Mourinho is just another part of the reason why the situation is as it is.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Exactly way more important things in life than picking up on one word in a post. The love he gets is sickening, annoying, delusional, etc etc. The point remains!
Stupid word though. But if it makes you happy then well done.

Net spend is a load of rubbish as it is heavily dependant on who the manager inherited to sell.

Mourinho inherited nobody of high value. Solskjaer inherited Lukaku, who he sold for £70m. Who gets the credit for that?

He has also inherited Pogba, who could go for £100m. It is easy to get a lower net spend when you have such valuable players to sell.

I know this is not about Solskjaer, but don't you see the issue with using net spend. Gross should always be used

Mourinho should get the credit as he has invested in these players who we are able to get our money back on. That is the truth.
Exactly, the only thing I'd say is that yes, maybe take the ADM sale off the figures because well, obvious reasons. The other thing the likes of @MackRobinson and @Giggsyking fail to mention when trying to talk NET is that for example Mourinho earned £40,000,000 from winning the Europa League, so should we not then take the off his 2nd Summer window spend?

And sadly, as you say the players LVG bought and left; Depay, Schweinsteiger, Blind, Schneiderlin, Darmien, Herrera... LVG hardly left us with a treasure chest of sell players to sell for top money whereas Mourinho at least his successor with Lukaku & Pogba.

As you say, Gross is all that matters, you spent on players and United are never forced to sell in order to buy so NET makes zero sense here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The Mourinho cult is sickening on this site.
They're very strange. And it's existence funnily enough has nothing to do with anything he did with us. He just has a very strange fan base among United fans who yearned for him managing our club and then proceeded to spin everything regarding his time here in his favour.

On the other hand I do think Mourinho has a great platform here given the good work Pochettino did in laying foundations, which is something we wanted from Mourinho but he couldn't pull off. This for me is a better fit of a job for Jose where he has to complete the job as opposed to actually creating a strong base.

fps

I just think summer will be crucial for Spurs. They look likely to have 4/5 senior first team players moving on and they'll need to recruit well just to get back on an even footing.

That said a good point was made that the attack is already in place to a degree. Levy will need to back him heavily though.
He will but unlike United the squad is well setup for Mourinho as key players will be at their peaks in terms of maturity and performance.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It does seem like if someone says "maybe, possibly, Mourinho wasn't actually the worst thing in the history of football" then they're deemed a cult member.

I see it in the Messi & Ronaldo threads as well. Say one thing that's not negative and you get called a fanboy.

And for the record, I hope Jose loses every game he manages at Spurs.

Ban

W
I'm in the pro-Mourinho crowd?

Jesus Christ. You're so blinded by your own agenda, that you assume everyone has the same affliction.
Watch it, if you say anything positive, even the smallest thing you're a fanboy and an apologist.

Ban

Do our own fans even want to beat Spurs at this point? It feels like a lot would love it if Tottenham are more successful on our expense so Mourinho gets to prove his agenda and make himself look the big man yet again.
Yeah no.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Because of amount of people obsessed with him?
No, when Chelsea fans said what to expect, everyone thought he was a changed man and painted every move with very positive brush.

In this case few ManUtd fans are playing Chelsea fans role, few ManUtd fans + Spurs fans are playing 2016 ManUtd fans role.

Eric's Seagull

Think Jose has good chance got of winning a big trophy, providing Levy gives him the cash he wants. Think he will go all out for the Champions League this year.

Think that it will will all turn sour if Levy doesn't get him the players that he wants. So maybe Jose and Levy made a deal, he started getting toxic when he wasn't given the players he wants here. Wonder what he will be like if Levy turns down a player he wants as Levy is particularly frugal in the market.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No, when Chelsea fans said what to expect, everyone thought he was a changed man and painted every move with very positive brush.

In this case few ManUtd fans are playing Chelsea fans role, few ManUtd fans + Spurs fans are playing 2016 ManUtd fans role.
It was one thing Chelsea fans falling for it when he returned, best ever managing returning saying he wants to settle down of course our hearts would rule our heads at that point.

Even with you guys, maybe a bit naive at points but he's always been complimentary of United and I could see why you would hope he learned harsh lessons from 15/16 and adapted to prevent it happening again (well it didn't happen that badly with United but you know what I mean).

Can't for the life for me work out why Spurs fans have fell for it though, he didn't change for the club he truly made his name at or the biggest club in the country that was allegedly a job he's dreamed about for donkeys years, what an earth makes them think he ultimately will for them?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It does seem like if someone says "maybe, possibly, Mourinho wasn't actually the worst thing in the history of football" then they're deemed a cult member.

I see it in the Messi & Ronaldo threads as well. Say one thing that's not negative and you get called a fanboy.

And for the record, I hope Jose loses every game he manages at Spurs.
Watch it, you wrote his name. He is "the one who must not be named".