Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Djemba-Djemba

It's mad how bad his big game record now is.

In his prime it felt like he was unbeatable in the big games, he always seemed to have a perfect tactical plan and on the rare occasions he didn't the luck would go his way and he'd win anyway.

Now he just seems clueless in the big matches.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
They are linked with Boubakary Soumare . Big strong DM from Lille. Just typical Mourinho signing.

Chipper

Adulterer.
With the different expectations and circumstances it doesn't really scan for me. Mourinho and others would be facing the sack if in the same position/points per game as Chelsea are now. They absolutely had to perform in the here and now. The transfer ban has lowered expectations, as it should really, but none of the other Chelsea managers in recent history have had that luxury if you can call it one.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lampard getting a bit of a dig in, after Jose's "they used Conte's system" comment.

Brilliant. Also might be his reply for Jose's comment after Chelsea's game at OT this season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's mad how bad his big game record now is.

In his prime it felt like he was unbeatable in the big games, he always seemed to have a perfect tactical plan and on the rare occasions he didn't the luck would go his way and he'd win anyway.

Now he just seems clueless in the big matches.
In the title season back with us he started to lose his way in big games.

We somehow managed to keep avoiding defeat (thanks in no small part to Courtois) aside from the WHL collapse but we were outplayed by PSG twice, United, City and Brendan's Liverpool three times all in the space of five months in the second half of that season.

The 13/14 season seemed to be his last horrah at pulling big game masterclasses regularly.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
With the different expectations and circumstances it doesn't really scan for me. Mourinho and others would be facing the sack if in the same position/points per game as Chelsea are now. They absolutely had to perform in the here and now. The transfer ban has lowered expectations, as it should really, but none of the other Chelsea managers in recent history have had that luxury if you can call it one.
Chelsea are currently fourth, why would Jose be facing a sack? What he would definitely be doing is spending every press conference moaning about the transfer ban preventing him from upgrading his squad and bitching about losing the club's best player in the summer, both of which would suit his 'play the victim' scheme when things aren't going well.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Chelsea are currently fourth, why would Jose be facing a sack? What he would definitely be doing is spending every press conference moaning about the transfer ban preventing him from upgrading his squad and bitching about losing the club's best player in the summer, both of which would suit his 'play the victim' scheme when things aren't going well.
You've literally just ousted someone for finishing 3rd last season. You've fired people for coming 2nd during Abramovich's time at the club. Under normal circumstances the pressure at Chelsea to get results is second to none. It makes using younger players very difficult so some talented ones might miss out and end up moving on. That's changed somewhat this season because of a specific set of circumstances.

It took until the 3rd year of Rooney and Ronaldo playing together at United for them to win their first title. No Chelsea manager has even been alllowed to complete 2 full seasons in charge if he didn't win the title in his first since Abramovich came so you've got to think Fergie would have been out too for doing that. His other option would have been to not play them and try to win the title with older players. There's been no room for developing players at your club at all until this season, and even at our club where there has been we managed to lose players like Pogba and Pique.

Edit: Sorry for the bold, I don't know what I've done but I can't get rid of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You've literally just ousted someone for finishing 4th last season. You've fired people for coming 2nd during Abramovich's time at the club.. Under normal circumstances the pressure at Chelsea to get results is second to none. It makes using younger players very difficult so some talented ones might miss out and end up moving on. That's changed somewhat this season because of a specific set of circumstances.

It took until the 3rd year of Rooney and Ronaldo playing together at United for them to win their first title. No Chelsea manager has even been alllowed to complete 2 full seasons in charge if he didn't win the title in his first since Abramovich came so you've got to think Fergie would have been out too for doing that. His other option would have been to not play them and try to win the title with older players.
I usually put the part I want to address in bold but I'll have to reverse that in this instance given your shouting!

Sarri chose to move yo Juventus, who paid us £5 million for him. He was not "ousted".

Chipper

Adulterer.
I usually put the part I want to address in bold but I'll have to reverse that in this instance given your shouting!

Sarri chose to move yo Juventus, who paid us £5 million for him. He was not "ousted".
Sorry mate, I don't know what the feck I've done with the bolding there. :lol:

I got the impression that the feeling was kind of mutual with Sarri, that he wasn't really wanted by anyone there so he decided to leave for somewhere he might be? If that's not true then that's my misunderstanding.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Sorry mate, I don't know what the feck I've done with the bolding there. :lol:

I got the impression that the feeling was kind of mutual with Sarri, that he wasn't really wanted by anyone there so he decided to leave for somewhere he might be? If that's not true then that's my misunderstanding.
Sarri himself said he wanted to go back to Italy because of his elderly parents and I'm sure that the lure of Juventus (and the guaranteed trophies) was pretty huge, especially given his own age.

Would we have sacked him anyway? Maybe but I doubt it, not with the transfer ban and the costs of sacking yet another manager.

I agree certainly that Lampard has less expectations to win (or compete) than any Chelsea manager since about 2003 but think that's only fair. He's had to deal with losing the clubs best player and has not been able to sign anyone.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Sarri himself said he wanted to go back to Italy because of his elderly parents and I'm sure that the lure of Juventus (and the guaranteed trophies) was pretty huge, especially given his own age.

Would we have sacked him anyway? Maybe but I doubt it, not with the transfer ban and the costs of sacking yet another manager.

I agree certainly that Lampard has less expectations to win (or compete) than any Chelsea manager since about 2003 but think that's only fair. He's had to deal with losing the clubs best player and has not been able to sign anyone.
Absolutely agree about it being fair that expectations on Lampard are lower considering what's happened. If they weren't then Abramovich would be an even harder owner to please and he's already the hardest in my book, at least in this country. Was just pointing out that those circumstances do exist so that Lampard has more opportunity to play young players than perhaps some of your previous managers have. It's less risky for him when it comes down to it.

Cheers for the clarification on Sarri.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Mou was clearly seething interanlly but obviously couldn't openly admit that his team were completely bamboozled by Lamps switching up our formation, tactics, and personnel. It was clear from the opening kick.

He fully expected us to play our usual 4-3-3 with Pulisic and Jorginho in the side and with a back 4. For that reason, it actually kinda made sense that he selected his strongest (physically) double pivot. Jorginho struggles sometimes against those highly athletic midfielders.

But Spurs looked totally unprepared for us. They surely trained all week to play against a certain Chelsea team and then played a different version at the weekend.

JustAGuest

People seem to be getting a bit too excited about two losses.

He has only been in charge for four or so weeks.

They have scored a lot of goals so far under him, but continue to have defensive issues.

They still have major issues in regard to losing three players for free in the summer. Ndombele has fitness issues and Lo Celso barely plays, even under Pochettino. There is likely a reason for that.

To be honest, the goals they conceded were sloppy against Chelsea. Son got himself sent off. I wouldn't say he was outdone tactically; just that the defensive issues they have had for a long while now showed themselves again.

There is also something strange about people's attitudes on here. He was criticised for not defending players at Manutd but is now criticised for defending Son. You can't win with some people.

I think people are jumping the gun here.
They were completely shut down in the game vs Chelsea. If that's not being outdone tactically, I don't know what is.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
They are linked with Boubakary Soumare . Big strong DM from Lille. Just typical Mourinho signing.
Thought Spurs had a slew of midfield options now? Dier(DM), Wanyama(DM), Winks(regista), NDombele(b2b), Sissoko(b2b), why would Jose be bringing in more? Alli and Lo Celso can also drop deeper into that midfield role I thought? Signing of players in a position they are already well stacked I doubt will be condoned by Levy. Unless Jose sanctions sales firstly to make space, he would have to move on two of that midfield before Levy would probably agree to a purchase.

MDFC Manager

Mou was clearly seething interanlly but obviously couldn't openly admit that his team were completely bamboozled by Lamps switching up our formation, tactics, and personnel. It was clear from the opening kick.

He fully expected us to play our usual 4-3-3 with Pulisic and Jorginho in the side and with a back 4. For that reason, it actually kinda made sense that he selected his strongest (physically) double pivot. Jorginho struggles sometimes against those highly athletic midfielders.

But Spurs looked totally unprepared for us. They surely trained all week to play against a certain Chelsea team and then played a different version at the weekend.
This is exactly the reason why Mourinho is a spent force at the highest level. He sets up his team to counter the opposition. There's no style it strength of his own

dove

Will this be his shortest stint as manager since his very first job?
Possibly, that Spurs team was very overrated, the individual player quality is not that great and considering their best players either want to run down their contracts or demand new massively improved contracts, I can already see a meltdown pretty soon. Transfer budget of 50p will not make things better too.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pochettino got that squad playing at its absolute maximum for a good four years.
Mourinho is going tonhave to start all over.

Canagel

N'Dombele I expect to be the first name on his team sheet once he gets fit - Lo Celso is new to the league and hardly got a look in under Poch either so not sure whats going on there. I love how the problems that were there before Jose became manager are now all his fault.
Not in the squad today and not injured. Mourinho got your hopes up but you will realise very soon that he's not the manager you thought he was.

Possibly, that Spurs team was very overrated, the individual player quality is not that great and considering their best players either want to run down their contracts or demand new massively improved contracts, I can already see a meltdown pretty soon. Transfer budget of 50p will not make things better too.
wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone at the end of the season. Jose banks another £20m from being sacked!

Kane and Son are outstanding players, the rest of the squad are very average, and they need a big clear out, but don’t see that the club has the money to invest in getting the quality in required.

which is also at odds with how Jose works - he wants to buy proven operators, which will only exacerbate the issues they have with a team that’s too old and stale.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone at the end of the season. Jose banks another £20m from being sacked!

Kane and Son are outstanding players, the rest of the squad are very average, and they need a big clear out, but don’t see that the club has the money to invest in getting the quality in required.

which is also at odds with how Jose works - he wants to buy proven operators, which will only exacerbate the issues they have with a team that’s too old and stale.
Eriksen is still class. Keeps making the difference when he's subbed on.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Some hilarious posts here. Coincidently talking about him getting sacked when he has 45 mins to turn a game around. Not that today's match would matter in the grand scheme of things.

InfiniteBoredom

I voted no on the poll above, mostly because I think Mourinho has lost his touch regarding player management, but people vastly, vastly overestimated the quality of this Spurs side as well as how well they would fit Mourinho’s philosophy.

This can only end in tears, but we knew that.

marktan

He has a class squad to work with. Kane alone is leagues ahead any of our attackers.

I think tactics have left him behind a bit though, he keeps playing 2 in midfield and his teams get overrun by the modern high pressing, low blocking tactics most pl sides employ. He'd do better packing the midfield with a 3 and having the fullbacks push up. He tries to employ Dele Alli as a hybrid midfielder but he's a forward and will always be, he offers next to nothing in midfield.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So he wants Issa Diop. The player who can‘t even get into West Ham starting XI.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This tired old claim has been repeated over and over - every year for the last 5 years and more. And every year it proves to be wrong.

As for the transfer budget claim, Spurs spent £71m net last summer … which shows we have plenty of spare cash if we choose to spend it.

This tired old claim has been repeated over and over - every year for the last 5 years and more. And every year it proves to be wrong.

As for the transfer budget claim, Spurs spent £71m net last summer … which shows we have plenty of spare cash if we choose to spend it.
no it doesn’t. It shows you have spent £71m net last summer, and nothing for 18 months before that. It doesn’t in any way show that spurs have the money Jose needs.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Thought Spurs had a slew of midfield options now? Dier(DM) (seriously out of form), Wanyama(DM) (finished at the top level due to injuries), Winks(regista) (decent young player, squad player at best), NDombele(b2b)(talented but has not been fully fit since we signed him), Sissoko(b2b) (good squad player but not good enough to be a regular starter), why would Jose be bringing in more? Alli and Lo Celso can also drop deeper into that midfield role I thought? Signing of players in a position they are already well stacked I doubt will be condoned by Levy. Unless Jose sanctions sales firstly to make space, he would have to move on two of that midfield before Levy would probably agree to a purchase.
We need a defensive midfielder badly as Dier isnt up to it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

What makes you think he would get sacked at the end of the season? - he has already managed to turn the team around pretty well without the benefit of a transfer window. He is doing a great job so far.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ferguson.
Drastic changes, not minor adjustments. SAF was always attacking manager and in few games he changed to pragmatic style. His man management was consistent, he treated everyone differently right from Cantona days to Ronaldo days.