Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He has no interest in Ndombele/Lo Celso either. But what's else did you expect from a anti football manager? His meltdown will be even faster this time, the club don't have the spending power that he has been used to and his coaching method is terrible as ever.
N'Dombele I expect to be the first name on his team sheet once he gets fit - Lo Celso is new to the league and hardly got a look in under Poch either so not sure whats going on there. I love how the problems that were there before Jose became manager are now all his fault.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
When we appointed him, a lot of PT members here pointed that Mourinho was not even the best portuguese manager atm.
Feels like a lot of Portuguese managers were very flavour of the month, really. Jose was the only proven elite but he’s very much on the decline, AVB is doing rally cars(?), Jardim went from the one everyone wanted to looking quite average with Monaco... The positives still going I guess are Fonseca, who was one coveted by footballing wizkids, he seems to be doing alright enough job for Roma at the moment. Who else? Nuno? Seems solid also, though I’m not 100% convinced he will make the jump up to a big six side here.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Winks is a better option than Dier tbh
I agree but the problem is that Dier right now is our only player in the squad (apart from a crocked Wanyama) who can play defensive midfielder - Jose feels we need that so he is persisting with Dier until presumably we are able to buy a new one in January. I like Winks as a player but he isnt really good enough to be a regular starter, he is a very good squad player. Dier is shockingly bad at the moment though. We need probably 2 new midfielders and full-backs (and its been like this for 2 seasons)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Feels like a lot of Portuguese managers were very flavour of the month, really. Jose was the only proven elite but he’s very much on the decline, AVB is doing rally cars(?), Jardim went from the one everyone wanted to looking quite average with Monaco... The positives still going I guess are Fonseca, who was one coveted by footballing wizkids, he seems to be doing alright enough job for Roma at the moment. Who else? Nuno? Seems solid also, though I’m not 100% convinced he will make the jump up to a big six side here.
It's more that losing all your good players and replacing them with dross or not replacing them at all will make a manager's job difficult. Monaco have been a lot better in the last months.

DWelbz19

It's more that losing all your good players and replacing them with dross or not replacing them at all will make a manager's job difficult. Monaco have been a lot better in the last months.
Conversely — was it not those good players carrying Jardim? Did Jardim not sign said replacements?

Of course I have little knowledge of the French league, but on paper Monaco appeared to spend a lot this summer - £135m per Transfermarkt (we’ll call that a ball park figure), and they’re currently 10 points behind Marseille in second.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What makes me slighty curious is he can't even get his team's to counter properly anymore, OGS has demonstrated that can still be a massive weapon in big clashes if used correctly but now in big games but Jose can't seem to do even that anymore.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I agree but the problem is that Dier right now is our only player in the squad (apart from a crocked Wanyama) who can play defensive midfielder - Jose feels we need that so he is persisting with Dier until presumably we are able to buy a new one in January. I like Winks as a player but he isnt really good enough to be a regular starter, he is a very good squad player. Dier is shockingly bad at the moment though. We need probably 2 new midfielders and full-backs (and its been like this for 2 seasons)
Matic and Young are available. Fellaini could also be an option for Jose.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The main reason for this to happen is a guy named Vítor Frade - http://periodizacaotactica.com/vitor-frade/ - and basically a lot of big clubs think that just because someone has studied under him will automatically become a world class manager. This has a partial truth on it, and Klopp specifically hired Pep Lijnders because he was one of the most brilliant students of Frade methods, and he wanted to have someone who mastered it.

AVB lost a lot because his assistant (Vitor Pereira, who is a very good manager and who knows the game like few people) remained at Porto to become the main manager. And despite Porto selling half team after the Europa League win, Pereira kept wining titles while he had to rebuild the squad.
He eventually left Porto because he wanted more ambition from the board, and that was a terrible mistake by Porto, who only won a title since he left, despite spending lots of money under Lopatego :D

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Conversely — was it not those good players carrying Jardim? Did Jardim not sign said replacements?

Of course I have little knowledge of the French league, but on paper Monaco appeared to spend a lot this summer - £135m per Transfermarkt (we’ll call that a ball park figure), and they’re currently 10 points behind Marseille in second.
It's part of Monaco biz model: sign a lot of potential youngsters who are not that cheap, but not that expensive either, and expect to hit the jackpot.

slored1

Please explain how that is Mourinho's fault? The midfield we have has been under resourced for several transfer windows - thats on the club not Jose. When the one consistent player you have available in midfield is Sissoko you are in trouble.
Just don't start Dier and Sissoko as a two-man midfield pairing. Could have gone with at least one more playmaker or at least someone that can pass the ball. I'm not the biggest fan of Winks, but he's about million times better than Dier as a midfielder, maybe play 4-3-3 and drop Moura, there are many options. Why is Lo Celso not playing, he was the best midfielder in La Liga last season so why couldn't he start a game ahead of anyone in midfield at Spurs.

JPRouve

Scout

No because he developed these players and also no he didn't sign said replacements, that's not how it works around here, he is just the head coach. And of course Monaco spent, they didn't had players which is baffling, they went with very young or lesser players last season and logically most aren't with the first team or at the club.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He's basically a manager version of Torres at this point.

An ex great who's completely lost his way but has a score of people convinced it's more a case of prolonged bad form and his long gone prime self is still alive ready to explode again at any moment.

Jose will always be historically one of footballs great manager's but in terms of being an active manager in 2019 I'm not even convinced he's a top 10 in the PL alone.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

An ex great who's completely lost his way but has a score of people convinced it's more a case of prolonged bad form and his long gone prime self is still alive ready to explode again at any moment.

Jose will always be historically one of footballs great manager's but in terms of being an active manager in 2019 I'm not even convinced he's a top 10 in the PL alone.
His stubbornness to reinvent himself will cost him. A lot of managers do that after some poor events. As an example, Vítor Pereira said that his time at Munich 1860 made him a better manager because he thought he had all the answers and realized that there's more than one way (by the way, he tried to put a relegation candidate of 2.Bundesliga plauying possession & technical football and failed spectacularly :D )

DWelbz19

Interesting RE: Victor Frade @André Dominguez. I had never heard of him before, but it definitely makes sense. Word of mouth definitely spreads in football circles.

We’ll leave it there though (and the Jardim debate). I’ve derailed Jose’s thread enough already.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I predicted early on that his chosen victim at Spurs was gonna be either Son or Eriksen. Looks like I wasn’t far off:lol:
Thought he would love Son. Good player that runs his socks off.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
His stubbornness to reinvent himself will cost him. A lot of managers do that after some poor events. As an example, Vítor Pereira said that his time at Munich 1860 made him a better manager because he thought he had all the answers and realized that there's more than one way (by the way, he tried to put a relegation candidate of 2.Bundesliga plauying possession & technical football and failed spectacularly :D )
The thing is, I think he's actually tried and still trying (refreshing his backroom staff his latest attempt) but this modern way of playing and planning just isn't him, he can't keep up and it shows everytime he faces a modern manager, even one's early into management like Lamps.

Take when he returned to us for example, first couple of months he was talking about long term planning and how his approach is changing, so much so after a loss to Everton he came out and said that a defeat while playing well is better for his process than an ugly win. However fast forward a few months De Bruyne was gone and it was back to pragmatism, his subconscious default is always to revert to what's best for the immediate term.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Interesting RE: Victor Frade @André Dominguez. I had never heard of him before, but it definitely makes sense. Word of mouth definitely spreads in football circles.

We’ll leave it there though (and the Jardim debate). I’ve derailed Jose’s thread enough already.
Vitor Frade is highly considered even outside the football circle. Americans already started using training periodization and consider him to be one of the most brilliant academical minds of high intensity sports training, because his framework theory can be applied to any sport, either teamor individual - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/...ctions-and-soccers-most-magnificent-mind.html

Every thread eventually derails. Jose is at Spurs for a few weeks and this thread has 50 pages. It's close to impossible to have on-topic info on such a few time :D

Cloud7

Thought he would love Son. Good player that runs his socks off.
I don’t think he really has a criteria for the players he falls out with, it just has to be a good player. I mean he came to conflict with C Ronaldo of all people.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is there any manager who changed their behavior or playing style after so many years at top level? I mean very drastic changes, not minor adjustments.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The thing is, I think he's actually tried and still trying (refreshing his backroom staff his latest attempt) but this modern way of playing and planning just isn't him, he can't keep up and it shows everytime he faces a modern manager, even one's early into management like Lamps.
Yeah and even though Chelsea played well, they didn't do anything really special or play the game of their lives. It's just the way he sets up his teams and the personnel he goes for (Sissoko and Dier in midfield is just so, so limited) that is particularly jarring in today's football.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We are seriously lacking in midfield and it is killing us. N'Dombele needs to get fit and play every single match.
He dosen't have to start Eric Dier every game, there were other alternatives fit and on the bench.

roonster09

Scout
Probably not. Unless they learn the art of delegating tasks.
Yeah, didn't Jose also start to delegate tasks? I remember some interview was posted 2-3 years ago, where he said he isn't involved as much in training now.

R'hllor

If JM enters the office and asks for Matic, Levy should sack him on the spot.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yeah, didn't Jose also start to delegate tasks? I remember some interview was posted 2-3 years ago, where he said he isn't involved as much in training now.
I really much doubt it, because he is known to be a control freak. Which means that even if he's not there, it's going to be his way or no way.

JPRouve

Scout
Probably not. Unless they learn the art of delegating tasks.
That makes me think about SAF's setup, he used to have an assistant manager and first team coach. These were the two roles that he would update if he needed to change things up.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That makes me think about SAF's setup, he used to have an assistant manager and first team coach. These were the two roles that he would update if he needed to change things up.
Sir Alex was probably the best example of delegating tasks, as Bobby Robson once said that he regretted not to handle on how to delegate tasks and said SAF's evolved and learned how to do it properly.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Now you're exaggerating. Mourinho is left behind Klopp and Guardiola, sure thing, but the others are also putting on the trousers one leg at a time. Mourinho lost two big games, but against the minnows he got the wins. He's still one of the best managers in the league and will continue to win something in the next years, but his invincibility image seems to be gone, no one really fears the man anymore.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Take when he returned to us for example, first couple of months he was talking about long term planning and how his approach is changing, so much so after a loss to Everton he came out and said that a defeat while playing well is better for his process than an ugly win. However fast forward a few months De Bruyne was gone and it was back to pragmatism, his subconscious default is always to revert to what's best for the immediate term.
Was same with us. People saying how happy he looked in his first press conferences compared to the end of his time at Chelsea like he was unburdened - exact same thing happened in his first Spurs presser. His backroom staff changed during his time with us as well, though not to the extent it has at Spurs. After a summer transfer window, things will likely get better, but he won't change his spots and it'll be a matter f time before things fall apart again.
Didn't he say that he had McKenna and Carrick in charge of either training or certain sessions?

roonster09

Scout
Didn't he say that he had McKenna and Carrick in charge of either training or certain sessions?
I remember him saying something like this and also some interview from Portuguese was translated on reddit, where Jose said he changed the level of detail in 2015 or something like that, where he implied he is more of a manager than coach now.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50897486
Tottenham have appealed against the red card shown to Son Heung-min in the loss to Chelsea on Sunday, manager Jose Mourinho has confirmed.

The South Korean was sent off in the second half of the 2-0 defeat after VAR ruled he had kicked out at Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger.

Spurs are waiting to find out if Son will be available for the Boxing Day game with Brighton.

"I hope Son is not punished five times," Mourinho said.

"One time was the foul that Rudiger did on him. The second is to be sent off. The third would be not to play against Brighton. The fourth not to play against Norwich and the fifth not to play against Southampton.

"So I hope to be punished twice is enough, he doesn't deserve for the third the fourth or the fifth."

Jose was never good at being gracious or knowing when to keep his mouth shut or at least pretend to keep his bias in check. Now that he isn't at his managerial best anymore he sounds more and more like a broken record of an overly dramatic housewife bitching about the injustices of the cruel world. When he was at the top, people would let him get away with almost anything because he was a winner, now he's just a sad old whinebag.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
They just gonna appeal every Son red card now because he is "just not that kind of player".

Untd55

People seem to be getting a bit too excited about two losses.

He has only been in charge for four or so weeks.

They have scored a lot of goals so far under him, but continue to have defensive issues.

They still have major issues in regard to losing three players for free in the summer. Ndombele has fitness issues and Lo Celso barely plays, even under Pochettino. There is likely a reason for that.

To be honest, the goals they conceded were sloppy against Chelsea. Son got himself sent off. I wouldn't say he was outdone tactically; just that the defensive issues they have had for a long while now showed themselves again.

There is also something strange about people's attitudes on here. He was criticised for not defending players at Manutd but is now criticised for defending Son. You can't win with some people.

I think people are jumping the gun here.