Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would Jose's pride allow that? I genuinely think his career as a manager is over after this unless Arteta bombs and Arsenal panic.
He's always wanted to manage Portugal and think next few years will be right time given he will run out of options in the major leagues. Think they remove Santos if they go out early in Euro 2021.

I also still get the feeling England may fancy him if he's available the next time there's a change of manager.

Djemba-Djemba

Would Jose's pride allow that? I genuinely think his career as a manager is over after this unless Arteta bombs and Arsenal panic.
Hmmmm, I think so.

He's not the same Mourinho as he was in the glory years, I think once he's sacked at Spurs and he realises he won't get a top club again he'll settle for just staying in London.

West Ham are stupid enough to hire him and pay him big money too.

CM

The tragic thing is, he can't even use his most lethal attackers correctly as he did in his prime when parking the bus. Son and Kane were barely a threat and that's not good news when you go with the tactics he so desperately clings onto, a complete dinosaur now.
Agreed. The goal aside (which should have been defended much better), their chances in the game were restricted to a couple of efforts by Son and a few set pieces.

The second half was one way traffic, and his low block always gives the feeling that you're about to concede, even if you don't. I don't know how anyone can legitimately be drawn to that, it's horrible for everyone involved.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Was Troy Parrott listed as a sub? Mind you I watched the Norwich cup game and he didn't look ready for senior football, could barely hold onto the ball. Probably should've been loaned out in January but seems the rules didn't allow it.
No he wasn't on the bench. I agree with you in that he isn't ready yet. Hopefully he gets a loan soon.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed. The goal aside (which should have been defended much better), their chances in the game were restricted to a couple of efforts by Son and a few set pieces.

The second half was one way traffic, and his low block always gives the feeling that you're about to concede, even if you don't. I don't know how anyone can legitimately be drawn to that, it's horrible for everyone involved.
He use to be incredible at organizing a defense which i think is part of his problem now in the sense he can't accept controlling a game out of possession doesn't work anymore.

His Chelsea first time defense structure was ridiculous, prime example of how comfortable i felt with him/defense i remember Henry had the ball in a dangerous area against us once and i wasn't remotely worried, any other manager in any other era i shit myself at the sight of Henry never mind in a dangerous area with space to run into.

Irwin99

He use to be incredible at organizing a defense which i think is part of his problem now in the sense he can't accept controlling a game out of possession doesn't work anymore.

His Chelsea first time defense structure was ridiculous, prime example of how comfortable i felt with him/defense i remember Henry had the ball in a dangerous area against us once and i wasn't remotely worried, any other manager in any other era i shit myself at the sight of Henry never mind in a dangerous area with space to run into.
Yeah as a United fan I never felt as hopeless when that Chelsea team scored a goal and it was immediately a reaction of 'right, the game's over'. No one could strangle a game like Jose's team. It was an art. He's definitely lost that though.

I thought he'd do well at Spurs initially because he's got a better base to work from than what he had initially with United (the likes of Son, Kane, Toby) but I don't think this is going to work out for him.

CM

Yeah, that's a fair comment actually. His first Chelsea team was incredible defensively.

Mourinho's resistance to change has been his undoing in his last 3 jobs though, and I do wonder how long it will be before Spurs fans grow tired of these tactics. It's a far cry from the proactive approach they took at their best under Poch.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah as a United fan I never felt as hopeless when that Chelsea team scored a goal and it was immediately a reaction of 'right, the game's over'. No one could strangle a game like Jose's team. It was an art. He's definitely lost that though.

I thought he'd do well at Spurs initially because he's got a better base to work from than what he had initially with United (the likes of Son, Kane, Toby) but I don't think this is going to work out for him.
He needs the right players to do that. He hasn't got them yet, at least not in defence.

Walters_19_MuFc

Still playing the same negative football. Instead of trying to get a second, he sat back, invited pressure and eventually conceded. Used to happen with us so many times.

CM

You think Davies, Aurier and Dier in defence is comparable to what he had an Chelsea?
Those are the players he chose to select. Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Sessegnon were available to him, and Mourinho is the man who has made a point of saying how happy he is with what he has at Spurs.

What I know is it won't make a blind bit of difference to the way he plays even if he signs 3 new defenders.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Those are the players he chose to select. Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Sessegnon were available to him, and Mourinho is the man who has made a point of saying how happy he is with what he has at Spurs.

What I know is it won't make a blind bit of difference to the way he plays even if he signs 3 new defenders.
You didn't answer my question at all. That's because we both know the answer.

CM

You didn't answer my question at all. That's because we both know the answer.
Your point was that he doesn't have the players available to him to be successful. My point is that he will continue to put 10 men behind the ball in these games irrespective of which players he signs.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Your point was that he doesn't have the players available to him to be successful. My point is that he will continue to put 10 men behind the ball in these games irrespective of which players he signs.
My point is that with the right players he will do that and win many more matches if he plays that way. With our current defenders we lose too many sloppy goals to make it effective. As long as we win things i honestly couldn't care how we play at this stage.

CM

My point is that with the right players he will do that and win many more matches if he plays that way. With our current defenders we lose too many sloppy goals to make it effective. As long as we win things i honestly couldn't care how we play at this stage.
Fair enough. Good luck to you if that's what you want to see for the remainder of his tenure.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You've not won for about 8 games, been knocked out of Europe and the FA Cup, by Norwich at home, and have barely scored a goal in that run.

But you're enjoying him?
Yeah i am. I really like him so far. That's just me though and I've always had a soft spot for him.

Djemba-Djemba

Clearly not the football. Can't see how anyone can enjoy that.
The character, persona and antics can only take you so far though. Eventually it will become wearisome.
I'm just thinking his results have been shit and the football even worse, it's baffling to me that any Spurs fan could be really enjoying things at the moment. I suppose it's just different expectation levels.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm just thinking his results have been shit and the football even worse, it's baffling to me that any Spurs fan could be really enjoying things at the moment. I suppose it's just different expectation levels.
He hasn't had a chance to do much with the squad yet due to injuries and no preseason. The squad was a mess when he came in. Im happy to give him time to sort it out. I want him to succeed which obviously few on here do so we are always going to differ on opinions.

SirAnderson

He hasn't had a chance to do much with the squad yet due to injuries and no preseason. The squad was a mess when he came in. Im happy to give him time to sort it out. I want him to succeed which obviously few on here do so we are always going to differ on opinions.
But surely you have to see facts for what they are as well? That he is not the manager he once was. And if he couldn't do it with the budget United had, what's the odds he will with Spurs'?
I'm with you with the wanting him to succeed feeling, when he signed for us, that's exactly what I hoped, and most others, but at some point we had to face facts. I suppose your point is still coming, and right now there are alot of things to excuse his results, but if you look at the factual trajectory of his career, it doesn't read like manager who will turn things around, let alone bring silverware, added to the fact that he could do it before, but when he had the money to spend. Makes it just all the more stacked against him.

In the end 61% of folk here still think he has what it takes to win silverware fit you guys, even I'm in the yes vote (granted it was before a ball was kicked under him and I would change it if the poll was still opened), so of course a Spurs fan will have even more of a reason to think so.

For me, because of what he did to our club during his time here, I wish he messes up and embarrasses himself and further sullies his record as a manager and eventually admits to the he ain't special anymore (Fat chance of that last part happening but a man can hope).

For you, I hope you don't get to experience the pain and ultimate apathy he made us feel when the honesty and cheekiness don't add up to what he does to a club you love with all your heart.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
But surely you have to see facts for what they are as well? That he is not the manager he once was. And if he couldn't do it with the budget United had, what's the odds he will with Spurs'?
I'm with you with the wanting him to succeed feeling, when he signed for us, that's exactly what I hoped, and most others, but at some point we had to face facts. I suppose your point is still coming, and right now there are alot of things to excuse his results, but if you look at the factual trajectory of his career, it doesn't read like manager who will turn things around, let alone bring silverware, added to the fact that he could do it before, but when he had the money to spend. Makes it just all the more stacked against him.

In the end 61% of folk here still think he has what it takes to win silverware fit you guys, even I'm in the yes vote (granted it was before a ball was kicked under him and I would change it if the poll was still opened), so of course a Spurs fan will have even more of a reason to think so.

For me, because of what he did to our club during his time here, I wish he messes up and embarrasses himself and further sullies his record as a manager and eventually admits to the he ain't special anymore (Fat chance of that last part happening but a man can hope).

For you, I hope you don't get to experience the pain and ultimate apathy he made us feel when the honesty and cheekiness don't add up to what he does to a club you love with all your heart.
Thanks mate. Lets see how next season goes.

Mr Smith

I love him. I love that he winds you lot up so much. Its tremendous.
Is that really what's happening here though? I don't think any of us are that wound up. It was annoying that he parked the bus sure, but at the end of the day, joke is on you. You lot are still going to finish below us and Jose will moan his way to the sack in the next 6-12 months.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I remember spouting this exact line almost word for word.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
United was never suit for Jose. We aren't parking the bus team & we always expect the manager to develop players rather than spend big on players especially the old ones. The principle Sir Alex implemented on the team for 20 years doesn't match Jose's principle, I'm pretty sure he's still the manager he was once before. Just because he did bad for one club, doesn't mean he is finished. He's always been managing team who can afford to give him players or have power to give him players.

I've said this before, Spurs is in worse position than us right now in term of rebuilding the squad. Average CM/DM & ageing defense + not good enough back four. If he's in City or Real with Kane, Son and the same attacking mid option as what he got right now, I see it as threat since he'll have money to spend on midfield & defense. However, he's at Spurs, a club who is financially so much worse.

I'm on 50:50 about Jose, there is still a chance he will do good for Spurs. Jose doesn't need 5 top class attacking players, he can actually make Spurs win something or even challenging the league with Son, Kane & creative player with defensive mind of players behind them. He did it with Inter (Milito, Eto'o & Sneijder). Whether Spurs can give Jose a back four as caliber as Inter 09/10 back four & midfield as caliber as Stankovic, Motta & Cambiasso, it remains big question mark. Levy probably and likely won't be able to give him the players.

MalcolmTucker

I love him. I love that he winds you lot up so much. Its tremendous.
Are United fans wound up? I feel like we're all just relieved he's not at our club any more.

Did you not find your second half performance to be cowardly? Midway through the second half your players were literally hoofing the ball away as if it was they were defending an injury time lead and we weren't exactly playing great ourselves.

Untd55

They weren't even bad yesterday. If they had someone better at final balls/decision making than Lamela, they could have had three one on ones. They may very well have won.

I think people are overrating our performance. We did not put in a clear winner performance, not even close.

At first they had difficulty with Pogba but reacted quite well. They were near our box quite a few, so I am not sure what people are talking about.

They were also cheated of three corners yesterday, which could have had a big impact on the match. They may have had it up our end a lot longer if those were given.

Untd55

When Jose finished second in the league. I think it was more down to everyone else being shit that season.
Alright, then what about in terms of Solskjaer. His opposition have been crap and he still has not managed to get in to the top four.

I will always find the double standards stupid.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was relieved when he brought off Bergwijn tbh. That side was the one capable of causing us troubles as Shaw isn't particularly fast and if they hit a counter attack from that side, we would've been in deep trouble.
He's crying about the subs, but he made a terrible decision to sub Bergwijn who was the most likely to score a winner from their side as Son and Kane were below par