Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Wouldn't put it past him to purposely sabotage his teams tactics against Leicester just to try and make united miss out on champions league football out of spite.
:lol: Yeah he will potentially sabotage Spurs getting into Europa League next season because he hates Utd. You really do think the world revolves around you don't you.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
:lol: Yeah he will potentially sabotage Spurs getting into Europa League next season because he hates Utd. You really do think the world revolves around you don't you.
It's actually thinking the world revolves around Mourinho's ego and pettiness, which suddenly doesn't become all that unrealistic. :p

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Here I supplement with another set of data - points and expected points. As you can see, in the more successful seasons Mourinho had (14/15, 17/18, and arguably this season), his team always got significantly more points than expected. When his tactic didn't work and he got a similar point as expected, it was already bad enough to get him sacked (18/19). His negative playstyle is just simply unfavorable for him in these stats. Refer to the "Tiki Taka vs Counter Attack" section to this thread if you are interested.

Season (League position)PTSxPTSDifference
14/15 (1)​
87​
75.32​
-11.68​
15/16 after 16 games (16)​
15​
22.88​
+7.88​
16/17 (6)​
69​
70.89​
+1.89​
17/18 (2)​
81​
62.33​
-18.67​
18/19 after 17 games (6)​
26​
23.92​
-2.08​
19/20 recent 24 games (4)​
41​
32.37​
-8.63​
I get what you're saying, but a team's performace normalizes against the goals scored and goals conceded, rather than xPts. xPts is more of a derivate of xG and xGA and hence it is more likely to swing against bigger sides. A team gets lucky and unlucky on basis of chances scored and conceded, which in turn drives the result, if you get what I mean.
For example look at us right now - In terms of xG and xGA we are right where we should be, which is a good thing, however in terms of xPts we're 5-6 pts behind the expected number.
Also, interestingly, Mou has gotten himself sacked the year after his side overachieved xG metrics by a daft amount - which further confirms that xG metrics will eventually catch up with you.

hmchan

Using the XG, XGA and XP are a really useful way of looking how well a team is evolving. I predicted us to finish above Arsenal and Spurs solely based on last season's metrics which had us at 10 points better off than them.

That's partly why I'm sure Spurs and Arsenal are stuck where they are for the foreseeable, they're not only down there but are even overperforming their metrics which suggests they are susceptible to dropping even lower.
Yes, it's one way to spot the trend but it doesn't always work that way. City were 7 xPTS better than Liverpool last season when they were crowned champion by a 1 point margin. You would think they should be the favorites this year. It turns out this season they still maintain the 7 xPTS advantage, but Liverpool have already won the title with 7 games in hand. Again these stats are interesting and are worth taking a look, but the more important thing is to interpret together with the context and never jump to conclusion solely based on them.

lysglimt

Scout
Mourinho is correct, sort of - we are lucky he is not our manager anymore

Paul_Scholes18

Yes, it's one way to spot the trend but it doesn't always work that way. City were 7 xPTS better than Liverpool last season when they were crowned champion by a 1 point margin. You would think they should be the favorites this year. It turns out this season they still maintain the 7 xPTS advantage, but Liverpool have already won the title with 7 games in hand. Again these stats are interesting and are worth taking a look, but the more important thing is to interpret together with the context and never jump to conclusion solely based on them.
Always important to look at when teams are getting results. If the league is already over and there is not much left to play for then it does not matter much.
Start and end to a season can be very different. I can certainly see a side like Watford or even West Ham fly out into the next season even though they fighted for relegation in this one.

Mindhunter

We are lucky that Mourinho put down so great foundations. He bought Matic,Bailly, Lindelöf and Pogba. Laid the foundations for getting Maguire by wanting him.
Called Shaw out for being fat and turned him into a world beater. Developed Martial and Rashford by pushing them against each other on the wings.
Made Lingard perform like a world beater that we still see the fruit off. Brought in Mctominay and bought Fred too.
Also paved the way for Greenwood and Williams getting the chance by putting his faith in the youth.
Clearly Ole has lucked his way into a world class squad only needing minor tweaks?
You forgot how he tamed Pogba by bullying him by putting him on the bench. That along with a few threats to sell him off has done wonders for his temperament and attitude. Look how well he is playing now.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Luck :lol:

Only luck we had this season was that he is not our manager anymore.
Luck he says... I just call it being a better offensive team.
Club​
Games​
Total Shots​
Total Shots on Target​
Goals​
Tottenham​
24​
280​
101​
39​
Manchester Utd​
24​
352​
148​
47​

Note: Tottenham have played 24 League games with Jose in charge hence stats above.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You think his ego would let him fail to get into Europe with Spurs then?
Well, my statement was sort of in jest and not to be taken very seriously. :)

However....

I think his diminished abilities to get performances out of players could be all it takes, but I can't see him not making it.

hmchan

I get what you're saying, but a team's performace normalizes against the goals scored and goals conceded, rather than xPts. xPts is more of a derivate of xG and xGA and hence it is more likely to swing against bigger sides. A team gets lucky and unlucky on basis of chances scored and conceded, which in turn drives the result, if you get what I mean.
For example look at us right now - In terms of xG and xGA we are right where we should be, which is a good thing, however in terms of xPts we're 5-6 pts behind the expected number.
Also, interestingly, Mou has gotten himself sacked the year after his side overachieved xG metrics by a daft amount - which further confirms that xG metrics will eventually catch up with you.
I get what you mean but I think it's a bold statement. There are plenty of reasons a team overachieving the xG metrics, and it's dangerous to jump to conclusion without considering the reasons behind. Tottenham have kept overachieving since 14/15 (-15.06, -0.59, -10.63, -0.98, -9.56, -7.34 xPTS) and this doesn't mean they have just been lucky for 6 years or Pochettino deserves to be sacked. Liverpool overachieved by -13.55 xPTS last season, did you think xG metrics would catch up with them? It turns out they have overachieved even by a greater margin this season and won the league title.

Paul_Scholes18

I get what you mean but I think it's a bold statement. There are plenty of reasons a team overachieving the xG metrics, and it's dangerous to jump to conclusion without considering the reasons behind. Tottenham have kept overachieving since 14/15 (-15.06, -0.59, -10.63, -0.98, -9.56, -7.34 xPTS) and this doesn't mean they have just been lucky for 6 years or Pochettino deserves to be sacked. Liverpool overachieved by -13.55 xPTS last season, did you think xG metrics would catch up with them? It turns out they have overachieved even by a greater margin this season and won the league title.
Being efficient to win close games is key. If xG is 3-2 and you win those close games most of the time you will gain more points than xG says.
Waste chances when you are 2-0 up doesn't matter as much.

R'hllor

Luck :lol:

Only luck we had this season was that he is not our manager anymore.
Your supreme leader everyone, then someone wonder why there is a deslike for him. When it comes to brainwashing and his acolyte cult following, he is Trump among managers.

R'hllor

You think his ego would let him fail to get into Europe with Spurs then?
This is the guy who put McT as CB vs West Ham away, just so could moan after defeat about him being right that we needed to sign a CB, mf bombed his own team for his own interest.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Luck he says... I just call it being a better offensive team.
Club​
Games​
Total Shots​
Total Shots on Target​
Goals​
Tottenham​
24​
280​
101​
39​
Manchester Utd​
24​
352​
148​
47​

Note: Tottenham have played 24 League games with Jose in charge hence stats above.
Yeah. It's just a tactic to put pressure on refs.

hmchan

Always important to look at when teams are getting results. If the league is already over and there is not much left to play for then it does not matter much.
Start and end to a season can be very different. I can certainly see a side like Watford or even West Ham fly out into the next season even though they fighted for relegation in this one.
Not sure about West Ham though. Their board wants possession football so bad that they don't like Moyes at all. They kept recruiting technical players (e.g. Wilshere) who just didn't fit into a midtable side. He was not given a new contract when he saved them from relegation last time and I doubt whether he will be given the support he needs this time. I know very little about Watford and I have no opinion about them.

Paul_Scholes18

Not sure about West Ham though. Their board wants possession football so bad that they don't like Moyes at all. They kept recruiting technical players (e.g. Wilshere) who just didn't fit into a midtable side. He was not given a new contract when he saved them from relegation last time and I doubt whether he will be given the support he needs this time. I know very little about Watford and I have no opinion about them.
Yeah they need investments. Watching them now. Can't trust Danny Welbeck and the likes of Antonio too much.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah. It's just a tactic to put pressure on refs.
Aye. To put it into even more perspective, since Jose has been boss at Tottenham:

Club​
Home​
Result​
Away​
Shots on Target​
Tottenham​
Bournemouth​
0:0​
Tottenham​
0​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
0:2​
Chelsea​
1​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
1:0​
Everton​
2​
Tottenham​
Sheffield Utd​
3:1​
Tottenham​
2​
Tottenham​
Burnley​
1:1​
Tottenham​
2​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Manchester Utd​
3​
Tottenham​
Chelsea​
2:1​
Tottenham​
3​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
2:0​
Manchester City​
3​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Norwich​
3​
Manchester Utd​
Chelsea​
Manchester Utd​
3​

We've recorded only one game against Chelsea where we only managed 3 shots on target, Tottenham on the other hand have had 9 games with 3 shots on target or less. NINE. Poor Tottenham fans, been there got the tshirt with Jose.

hmchan

Aye. To put it into even more perspective, since Jose has been boss at Tottenham:

Club​
Home​
Result​
Away​
Shots on Target​
Tottenham​
Bournemouth​
Tottenham​
0​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Chelsea​
1​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Everton​
2​
Tottenham​
Sheffield Utd​
Tottenham​
2​
Tottenham​
Burnley​
Tottenham​
2​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Manchester Utd​
3​
Tottenham​
Chelsea​
Tottenham​
3​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Manchester City​
3​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Norwich​
3​
Manchester Utd​
Chelsea​
Manchester Utd​
3​

We've recorded only one game against Chelsea where we only managed 3 shots on target, Tottenham on the other hand have had 9 games with 3 shots on target or less. NINE. Poor Tottenham fans, been there got the tshirt with Jose.
Still better than those days when we had multiple games with 0 shot on target with van Gaal though......

roonster09

Scout

Club​
Home​
Result​
Away​
Shots on Target​
Tottenham​
Bournemouth​
Tottenham​
0​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Chelsea​
1​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Everton​
2​
Tottenham​
Sheffield Utd​
Tottenham​
2​
Tottenham​
Burnley​
Tottenham​
2​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Manchester Utd​
3​
Tottenham​
Chelsea​
Tottenham​
3​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Manchester City​
3​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Norwich​
3​
Manchester Utd​
Chelsea​
Manchester Utd​
3​

Also some of the expected goals since he took over
Bournemouth - 0.48
Everton - 0.51
Sheffield United - 1.02
ManUtd - 0.53
Chelsea - 0.27
City - 0.42
Southampton - 1.08
Brighton - 1.03
CHelsea - 0.28
Wolves - 0.99
ManUtd - 0.54

That shows how poor their attack is, or at least how poor Jose is at setting up attacks.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Club​
Home​
Result​
Away​
Shots on Target​
Tottenham​
Bournemouth​
Tottenham​
0​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Chelsea​
1​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Everton​
2​
Tottenham​
Sheffield Utd​
Tottenham​
2​
Tottenham​
Burnley​
Tottenham​
2​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Manchester Utd​
3​
Tottenham​
Chelsea​
Tottenham​
3​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Manchester City​
3​
Tottenham​
Tottenham​
Norwich​
3​
Manchester Utd​
Chelsea​
Manchester Utd​
3​

How many of those games were we without Kane and/or Son?

Champagne Football

Jose was slaughtering City over the FFP thing the other day. This coming from a man that used to offer double or triple the true going rate of a weekly salary to a player, to ensure he beat his rivals to their signature.

This is a man who would spend hundreds of millions more than his rivals in a summer window, then dance up and down in their faces every time his team scored to goad them.

This is a man who wanted to sell Martial, Pogba and Rashfotd for peanuts, while demanding an extra 200 or 300 million to replace them with William, Peresic, Nainggolan and Jerome Boateng.

A man who has never cared about or respected the financial health of any of the clubs he has been at, yet has suddenly become the voice of the anti-FFP campaign now that he's at a club with vastly smaller spending power than his rivals.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You mean like Porto and Inter?
Both considerably more successful than Tottenham.

Mourinho managed some B-tier teams – Porto, Inter, Chelsea.

A-tier teams – Real Madrid, Man Utd.

And now he manages the 2008 League Cup winners.

Sorry if this seems cruel, but I’d say it’s a fair illustration of how far Mou’s stock has fallen.

There’s not a bat in hell’s chance he goes to a club like Spurs in his pomp.

I think you play dire football, like United did under him, but if you’re cool with that then I’m happy for you.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
United have had as many injuries to contend with as anyone. Actually, they have started to clear up of late, while they are piling up at Spurs. What’s the common denominator?

roonster09

Scout
You mean like Porto and Inter?
Inter is historically huge club, won CL 3 times and league around 18-19 times. Don't even compare Spurs with Inter. There is no comparison at all.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Jose was slaughtering City over the FFP thing the other day. This coming from a man that used to offer double or triple the true going rate of a weekly salary to a player, to ensure he beat his rivals to their signature.

This is a man who would spend hundreds of millions more than his rivals in a summer window, then dance up and down in their faces every time his team scored to goad them.

This is a man who wanted to sell Martial, Pogba and Rashfotd for peanuts, while demanding an extra 200 or 300 million to replace them with William, Peresic, Nainggolan and Jerome Boateng.

A man who has never cared about or respected the financial health of any of the clubs he has been at, yet has suddenly become the voice of the anti-FFP campaign now that he's at a club with vastly smaller spending power than his rivals.
He isn’t to be taken seriously. He says things for effect and doesn’t have the cover of being a winner anymore either.

RedDevilUnited369

Spurs not being in the Europa league next season makes all the sense in the world to me when I look at Jose.

Not having to do the extra games whilst everyone he wants to compete against in the league do. Just for one season to rebuild I could see Jose doing that.

roonster09

Scout
Not many
Burnley - Both didnt play
Chelsea - Both didnt play
City - Son played, Kane didnt
Norwich - Son played, Kane didnt

roonster09

Scout
But but but. Bale scored a hat trick against Inter in a CL game once. In a 4-3 defeat. Levels.
Yeah, few of Spurs fans should get a grip. Their honor list is as good as ManUtd's and had some of the football greats in their team.

League 18 times,
Cup 7 times,
CL/European cup - 3 times
UEFA cup - 3 times

Won CL in 2010.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Yeah, few of Spurs fans should get a grip. Their honor list is as good as ManUtd's and had some of the football greats in their team.

League 18 times,
Cup 7 times,
CL/European cup - 3 times
UEFA cup - 3 times

Won CL in 2010.
I knew Inter were a proper club, but I must admit to not realising they had won so many major trophies.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

He must be the only manager in club football who negotiates player salaries if that's true.