Jose Mourinho to PSG?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Exactly,it would be ridiculous to get rid of Jose if we finish in the top 3,we have to give Jose another transfer window to go toe to toe with City.I think a lot of folks have probably forgotten how shambolic we were under LVG/Moyes,on the pitch and in the transfer window.We are finally beginning to look like a big club again,we need to give Jose more time to turn us into champions...
This very same place would give moyes 3 years if he finished top 4th, but now 2nd is a sackable offence.

I swear some people here just don't like jose and can't wait to stick the knife at every turn.

Eleven-Eighteen

Mourinho is the 2nd best manager in the world right now. The best is across the town at City. I don't think people realize how misguided it is to hope that he leaves or is asked to leave. We'll be back in LVG territory - playing shittier football, with fewer wins and at a worse place in the table. there is literally nothing good that can come from Mourinho leaving before he completes at least 3 years at the club. i hoped he'd stay for at least 8-10 years, but yes the performances right now dont suggest that he is going to be able to recreate and sustain his erstwhile magic at our club for that long. but 3 years - that's the least he deserves. and another shot at the title is what the fans deserve.

oh and that "ManUtd DNA" that everyone is yearning for while simultaneously moaning about your current manager - it comes from longevity. it comes from having a manager who doesnt treat this club like another job - that's what Sir Alex and Sir Matt brought to the club. shocking, and franky plain stupid, for anyone to expect us to still have our "DNA" while behaving like petulant Real Madrid or Bayern Munich.

Reactions: Penna

PepG

Supports
Ajax
All in all there's currently only one worthwhile upgrade on Jose Mourinho, but he's already working on the other side of town.
Well they can try with Thomas Tuchel who according to this video is basically Pep & Klopp mixed together:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sorry but "according to this video".:lol:

JohnnyKills

This very same place would give moyes 3 years if he finished top 4th, but now 2nd is a sackable offence.

I swear some people here just don't like jose and can't wait to stick the knife at every turn.
That's a fair point, although I think everyone was desperate for moyes not to be a disaster given he was the first man in after Fergie. I always thought people were too generous with him fwiw.

If (God forbid) moyes was appointed now, people would be a lot harsher. He might be hounded out within the first few months of the season.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Sorry but "according to this video".:lol:
Yeah i said it so because i don't agree with that kind of presumption. Thomas Tuchel is Thomas Tuchel. He is may be influenced by other managers ideas but what makes him good or bad coach is his own ideas and how he executes them with the players at his disposal. This clip is very good nonentheless in explaining Tuchel's tactics so i recommend it.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah i said it so because i don't agree with that kind of presumption. Thomas Tuchel is Thomas Tuchel. He is may be influenced by other managers ideas but what makes him good or bad coach is his own ideas and how he executes them with the players at his disposal. This clip is very good nonentheless in explaining Tuchel's tactics so i recommend it.
Yeah, it's the non committal part that made me chuckle.:)

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Hmm, Simon Mullock, has good contacts.
Yeah, although he doesn’t always get it 100% correct, Mullock definitely gets fed info by both clubs.

Even if true, I don’t think this story is that big a revelation. There’s clearly a stand-off of sorts (although it wouldn’t surprise me if the press are exaggerating things as that’s what they do) and the “doubts” could be more to do with his long-term commitment (or lack of) than doubts about his managerial ability. It could also be that Mourinho is prepared to commit to a longer stay but is using the PSG link as leverage.

cyberman

Feck off does he have good contacts at Utd.
Name one story he's broken, just one.
I read this line about every journo that has a story posters find interesting
Remember when Joe Hart was set to replace DDG last summer? Which contact told him that?

JohnnyKills

Great post mate. Exactly my thoughts when I read his original post, pure t**red in full tilt.
Mourinho has done a solid job so far, but somewhat unspectacular. I like him, I want him to succeed, but if he downs tools and leaves I wont be THAT bothered if I'm honest. I'd just be worried about who the board target to replace him. I definitely think he likes the idea of PSG, though. We'll see.
The problem is that all the top leagues are so one-sided now that it's virtually impossible for anyone to 'do a Fergie' and win major trophies with a small club. Psg have the French league sown up, same with Juve in Italy, Bayern in Germany and RM/Barca in Spain.

So anyone we appoint after Mourinho will either be unproven, as they've won trophies with a dominant club, or a massive gamble a la Moyes.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think those who want Jose out, mainly fall into the following 3 categories
1, They just don't like the guy. He can win the quadruple and they'd still want him out. This personal and not about his managerial abilities, playing style or commitment.
2, They are neutrals. They want to see attacking football. They don't care about results at all. They want to watch 2 teams battling it out, with passion and attack. And whoever wins is irrelevant to them. What would really make these people angry is if we played defensive football, but won the quadruple. These people would be so incensed that they'd want Jose fired.
3, They want a new toy. We've had 18 months of a World class manager and that's enough of that. Let's try something new. Something fresh. These people usually quote Poch as the ideal replacement. The guy who hasn't won a trophy in his managerial career. 2 years into his appointment, they'll want that toy to be replaced with something new. Nothing personal.

IMO, we need to sign Jose up on a long term contract, before he decides to move to a club which has more ambition.
If he leaves, I can see us competing for top 4 (again) and not for the title.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So anyone we appoint after Mourinho will either be unproven, as they've won trophies with a dominant club, or a massive gamble a la Moyes.
This is an even better reason for us to hang on to Jose.

Needham

1, They just don't like the guy. He can win the quadruple and they'd still want him out. This personal and not about his managerial abilities, playing style or commitment.
2, They are neutrals. They want to see attacking football. They don't care about results at all. They want to watch 2 teams battling it out, with passion and attack. And whoever wins is irrelevant to them. What would really make these people angry is if we played defensive football, but won the quadruple. These people would be so incensed that they'd want Jose fired.
3, They want a new toy. We've had 18 months of a World class manager and that's enough of that. Let's try something new. Something fresh. These people usually quote Poch as the ideal replacement. The guy who hasn't won a trophy in his managerial career. 2 years into his appointment, they'll want that toy to be replaced with something new. Nothing personal.

IMO, we need to sign Jose up on a long term contract, before he decides to move to a club which has more ambition.
4. Mourinho is an agitator, what foreign policy analysts refer to when talking about troublesome nations as a non status quo power. There is always some turbulent existential drama or hint of drama going on. I hate that and I think many others do. Because you know he could be off at the drop of a hat. The only reason it's at all bearable is because the average manager's reign is so short now anyway

aditya826

Well they can try with Thomas Tuchel who according to this video is basically Pep & Klopp mixed together:
I think Tuchel is the ideal replacement of Mourinho.

People find tuchel's cv pretty blank and not worthy of being given the position to manage a club like ours, but I think what Tuchel always needed was a bit of stability and financial help from the board which he was deprived of under Watzke.

Footballing wise, Tuchel was heralded as Tactic T-Rex by BVB fans, meaning he is a tactical genius and knows to use multiple formations and systems against different teams. He is much less of a pragmatic unlike Mourinho and has more like Pep's 'We will try to impose our football home or away, try to stop us if you can' mentality. But what I think will help Tuchel the most is the battery of our defence and DDG, which will allow us to take more risks throughout the pitch which is inhibited by Mou's current negative tactics. I think under Tuchel we'd be closer to replicate Pep's style at City, although not as good result wise. This is why Pep considers Tuchel to be his closest competitor. Youth development wise, Tuchel gets a tick, because he is known to develop young talents in both his mainz and BVB tenure. He also was a youth football manager for around 5-6 years and started his coaching career from under 11s (iirc).

The only negative I find is that Tuchel is known to be a strict disciplinarian and too detailed in tactics that players complain of over-training etc. It'd be interesting to see how he copes in a more physically draining Premier League without a winter break and with 4 competitions.

Reactions: Cheesy

Nikelesh Reddy

I agree,maybe it's because of Jose's reputation of always winning the league in his 2nd season,but we just have to accept the fact that City have been freakishly good so far.I"ll be very satisfied if we finish the season with 80 plus points,that's excellent progress by any yardstick....

AshRK

And funnily all the three reasons doesn't make whole lot sense. Jose will stay here for 3 years min and it is the job for the club to find the next suitable replacement and to be frank they should already start preparing.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Mourinho is the 2nd best manager in the world right now. The best is across the town at City. I don't think people realize how misguided it is to hope that he leaves or is asked to leave. We'll be back in LVG territory - playing shittier football, with fewer wins and at a worse place in the table. there is literally nothing good that can come from Mourinho leaving before he completes at least 3 years at the club. i hoped he'd stay for at least 8-10 years, but yes the performances right now dont suggest that he is going to be able to recreate and sustain his erstwhile magic at our club for that long. but 3 years - that's the least he deserves. and another shot at the title is what the fans deserve.

oh and that "ManUtd DNA" that everyone is yearning for while simultaneously moaning about your current manager - it comes from longevity. it comes from having a manager who doesnt treat this club like another job - that's what Sir Alex and Sir Matt brought to the club. shocking, and franky plain stupid, for anyone to expect us to still have our "DNA" while behaving like petulant Real Madrid or Bayern Munich.
Good post.

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
I'm not convinced mourinho is still a great manager. Obviously he was. What he did at inter Chelsea (first time) and Porto was special. However the media persona he created and played up to he seems to have become. Fell out with people at real and Chelsea (second time) not sure the results at them 2 clubs were anything great either. He's doing a good job with yourselves but it is on the back on massive investment.

He just seems like trouble these days. Has a problem with everyone and everything.

JPRouve

Scout
Good post.
Not really. While I understand the sentiment and believe that Mourinho is far from doing a bad job, in fact despite my issues with his approach to me he is doing what he did with Chelsea during his second spell, so any discussion of sacking him is at this point foolish.
But first, the longevity is a consequence of the good work not the other way around, SAF and Sir Matt Busby had goals and they achieved them year after year. Secondly, like almost all managers Mourinho will decline people really need to stop with the CV nonsense and the 10 years lunacy, managers like players are judged on what they do in the present, the past is only good when they are retired, no one will argue that Lippi or Trappatoni should manage a big club.

And to make it perfectly clear, at the moment we have no reason to shorten Mourinho's contract, we also have no reason to extend him or make weird 10 years plans with him, the club should look at all the possibilities and discuss with Mourinho in 12 months if they feel that he is the best option.

Moonred

Don’t see him leaving this summer unless he is planning to implode. He will definitely get another year and we will spend billions and let him have a crack. What happens after that depends on where we are and what state Jose himself is in.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Don’t see him leaving this summer unless he is planning to implode. He will definitely get another year and we will spend billions and let him have a crack. What happens after that depends on where we are and what state Jose himself is in.
Jose spends what every other top team spend.

200m is the new 50m these days.

Chelsea/city arent actually skint

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

This.

Smithy_123

I'd be very surprised if Mourinho isn't gone within two years, either from his own accord or not.

There's already glimpses of his behaviour that you see in the third season before it all inevitably gets too much and goes wrong. Nothing suggests that this time will be any different. If anything it's more likely.

shaky

I'd be very surprised if Mourinho isn't gone within two years, either from his own accord or not.

There's already glimpses of his behaviour that you see in the third season before it all inevitably gets too much and goes wrong. Nothing suggests that this time will be any different. If anything it's more likely.
Nothing suggests this time will be the same as the few occasions where he's had a problematic 3rd season, other than hypothesising based on a very small sample size.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I don't see any such glimpses. Its just normal Jose being Jose irrespective of whether he's winning or losing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Other than his second stint at Chelsea, the only times he's had problems in his previous teams (1st time at Chelsea and his time at Real) were when the clubs owners/presidents messed him around and also players had more power than the manager. Hell, even his second time at Chelsea was largely player power, but there also seemed to be other issues there as well. Can you imagine how Fergie would have reacted in either of those Chelsea or Real teams in that situation where he was struggling to do his job because of everybody around him getting in his way? He would have exploded.

Neither of those things will be an issue here. That's not to say there definitely won't be issues, but many people talk as if the issues he has faced in his third seasons have been all on him. The two teams where the clubs gave him all the power - Porto and Inter, there were never any hint of problems and he only left because of a bigger job becoming available.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Isn't there an official Jose Mourinho thread for this debate to continue? This was started on a silly rumor that no one can confirm and it's close to 20 pages already. It's not happening. Mourinho is doing great compared to where the club was before, say what you will about his approach, but he's getting things done. What people are most upset about is that he's not doing what Pep is doing, which no other coach right now could compete with. This City team is ridiculous, and playing at an unsustainable level. I can't think of any other coach that would change that.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

And pep. Doesnt?

People say this about jose, but pep never stays beyond 4 as well. And that's with his boyhood club.

Kapardin

And pep. Doesnt?

People say this about jose, but pep never stays beyond 4 as well. And that's with his boyhood club.
Pep will leave before Jose. He already mentioned he wants to manage Juve someday when he was at Bayern. The guy is a stereotypical football nerd who wants different experiences.

Jose, for all the fracas currently going on, will stay if he is provided the financial backing, which I think he will get.

Water Melon

Pep will leave before Jose. He already mentioned he wants to manage Juve someday when he was at Bayern. The guy is a stereotypical football nerd who wants different experiences.

Jose, for all the fracas currently going on, will stay if he is provided the financial backing, which I think he will get.
Ready to bet? I am sure Pep will stay with City more than Jose with United.

Water Melon

We'll see.:)
No problems mate. I am all for seeing Jose doing one over Pep. I am just fecking disappointed that Pep is winning easily because the fecker will continue to be backed financially and buy basically whoever he wants. We are all thinking that if there's a manager who can stop the baldie it is Jose,however, it does not seem to be the case for now. Being the best implies beating the best. It is not about beating Wenger or Poch it is about being Pep managing City.

Speedicut75

No problems mate. I am all for seeing Jose doing one over Pep. I am just fecking disappointed that Pep is winning easily because the fecker will continue to be backed financially and buy basically whoever he wants. We are all thinking that if there's a manager who can stop the baldie it is Jose,however, it does not seem to be the case for now. Being the best implies beating the best. It is not about beating Wenger or Poch it is about being Pep managing City.
That's the issue I keep coming back to. They have the sovereign wealth of a petro rich, middle-eastern state, behind them, coupled with the services of a cutting edge, and apparently motivated, 1st tier manager; it's going to be hard for the rest of us mortals to compete.

Water Melon

That's the issue I keep coming back to. They have the sovereign wealth of a petro rich, middle-eastern state, behind them, coupled with the services of a cutting edge, and apparently motivated, 1st tier manager; it's going to be hard for the rest of us mortals to compete.
If it is not us, then someone else will defeat Pep in Europe. I would love to see Utd knocking City out of CL. Would be grand.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Feck off does he have good contacts at Utd.
Name one story he's broken, just one.
I read this line about every journo that has a story posters find interesting
Remember when Joe Hart was set to replace DDG last summer? Which contact told him that?
You need to read that article again mate. He never said that - what he did say is that City would be open to selling Hart to United if you bid for him and met the asking price. Nothing about him definitely being on his way to Old Trafford to replace to De Gea.

redIndianDevil

We aren't exactly paupers either. Yes they are backed by a country but so far they haven't done anything crazy like PSG did this summer. They have just spent a little more than us. Those Sheikhs really know how to run a business, our owners on the other hand looks like complete bell-ends with no clear plan or organization.