Jose Mourinho v Ryan Giggs... who do you want? [POLL]

Who would you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
The romantic in me still wants Giggs to come and be Fergie mk2, but the brain part of me has noted what's happened with Neville sort-of wants Mourinho, but mostly out of desperation, not because I actually want him anywhere near this club. If it was me I'd tell Jose he can come at the end of the season and give Giggs a good few weeks in charge.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'm as guilty as any Caf poster of surmising; studying body-language; translating languages I don't speak; taking bonkers conspiracy theories seriously; and playing detective with crappy evidence. But I realise that it's faulty logic, and amateurish thinking. And this is why I think it's often dangerous to connect personal lives with professional ones. I don't believe that Ryan is particularly trustworthy...but I don't know that.
It the discipline side I worry about. If he told someone how to behave all that stuff might get thrown back in his face.

jeff_goldblum

Out of the big names who'd potentially be in the running to become United manager Mourinho is the one I want least, but I'd still rather him over Giggs, who is a legend but an entirely unknown quantity as a manager.

Obviously I know next to nothing about the guy on a personal level, but he's always seemed more like the type who'd go into coaching rather than management. I've never really understood why he became tipped for management as he came to the end of his playing career/started his coaching career.

Devil may care

The personal flaws are important because even the best managers could drive a team to the ground if he cant win/maintain the faith of the players, he is working with. I think they have a point.
Other than the freakish situation at Chelsea this season Mouronho has a great relationship with most he's managed, and this season Hazard even apologized to him as clearly his issues are his own. I would say his throwing of Matic under the bus was a black mark, but he tried to discipline Costa and the nutter just stopped trying, even their fans booed Costa's actions. On a personal level Giggs has no credentials at all and has behaved worse than Mourinho ever has for the ones worried about the saintly image Bobby Charlton thinks we have.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hope more people hear. Our message should be clear. WE DONT WANT GIGGS!

bucky

Seriously?

Tweet I sent to the commentator, which he then mentioned. He was asking opinions, who should be the next manager.

Tweet says: More than 90% want Mourinho. Biggest United forum. Nobody wants experiments following Moyes and van Gaal.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Tweet I sent to the commentator, which he then mentioned. He was asking opinions, who should be the next manager.

Tweet says: More than 90% want Mourinho. Biggest United forum. Nobody wants experiments following Moyes and van Gaal.
We are going to be famous!

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
There's at least 9 opposition fans (from the names I recognize anyway, could be more) that voted for Giggs

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It should be no surprise to anyone that United fans don't want Giggs, being able to run fast and kick a ball bare no relation to managing a football club let alone one this big.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster

BBC as mentioned it now.
You're on a roll! Now tweet MUTV! Quick!

Amir

Well, to be fair, it's a huge forum that presents the opinions of many United fans. It should be mentioned more. :lol:

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Giggs is one of my favorite United players of all time, but he has no coaching credentials and if the reports of him not wanting the United job on a temporary basis are true, then he needs to be humbled and gain experience first. Aside of that, we can't afford any major gambles and while Jose has his baggage, he's one of the best managers in the world with a proven track record in the PL. This wouldn't even be a debate if we didn't have some footballing romantics and some people who hate Jose so much that they'd rather take the risk of us losing that seeing him manage us, here.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Tweet says: More than 90% want Mourinho.
Which is clearly misleading. 90% prefer Maureen to Goggs. Maureen isn't as popular on the Caf as "more than 90%" would seem to suggest.

What's potentially interesting to journos is/should be that Goggs is fairly unpopular on here - which is no surprise to anyone who knows anything about anything, but might not be a well known fact in the mainstream media. But that's a very different angle from "Maureen hugely popular on major United forum!" He isn't hugely popular as such.

bucky

Which is clearly misleading. 90% prefer Maureen to Goggs. Maureen isn't as popular on the Caf as "more than 90%" would seem to suggest.

What's potentially interesting to journos is/should be that Goggs is fairly unpopular on here - which is no surprise to anyone who knows anything about anything, but might not be a well known fact in the mainstream media. But that's a very different angle from "Maureen hugely popular on major United forum!" He isn't hugely popular as such.
The commentator was mostly talking about Mourinho and Giggs, because other people tweeted him those two as van Gaal's successor. He was specifically asking for opinions. That's what tempted me to share this. Later he mentioned fans who would like to see Pochettino, Simeone and Conte.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Giggs is one of my favorite United players of all time, but he has no coaching credentials and if the reports of him not wanting the United job on a temporary basis are true, then he needs to be humbled and gain experience first. Aside of that, we can't afford any major gambles and while Jose has his baggage, he's one of the best managers in the world with a proven track record in the PL. This wouldn't even be a debate if we didn't have some footballing romantics and some people who hate Jose so much that they'd rather take the risk of us losing that seeing him manage us, here.
Its worse than those people who were convinced that making Maradona manager of Argentina was 'the answer'. Just because someone is a legend it doesn't mean they will be a brilliant coach. If that were the case Keano would have been a huge success and Cantona would be manager of France.

Where did this Giggs as manager stuff even come from? Its the kind of thing Liverpool get wrapped up in, with their 'mythical' boot room. Did anyone think Sir Bobby was the man when we appointed the Doc? Its just mad.

montpelier

I think there's some possibility Mourinho could go wrong - 30%

I think Giggsy might be successful - 50%

added together = 80%

Via this deeply flawed reasoning, I done a vote for Giggs, :D

(much rather a Utd Ledge returned us to glory, innit)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Where did this Giggs as manager stuff even come from?
Well, you could trace it back to Fergie's days, at least.

It's not a random idea, put it like that.

Not being random doesn't make it a good idea, obviously, but it probably needs pointing out that it's something which has been suggested and put forth in more or less explicit ways for several years, since well before Giggs retired as a player.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
So the poll actually got mentioned on BBC? good stuff.. congrats to everyone who voted!

Ps. can I have a tagline if Mou gets a job on the back of this.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Who ever put it into anyones head that Ryan Giggs is a good manager? What is his experience in the management side of football? He was sat on the bench against Midgytland looking evry bit as clueless as Van Gaal. If Giggs is made the next manager then be prepared for more mediocrity. Mourinho should get the job regardless of wether SAF or Bobby Charlton like him or not. And that on his previous record alone. No one is as big as the club Mr Charlton and FergiE. Giggs would be a terrible choice as new manager.

Amir

Who ever put it into anyones head that Ryan Giggs is a good manager? What is his experience in the management side of football?
What astounds me is that rather than say 'We want a United old boy as a manager', Giggs is somehow the only one considered. He's just being selected by people because he's a legend and he's around.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Who ever put it into anyones head that Ryan Giggs is a good manager? What is his experience in the management side of football? He was sat on the bench against Midgytland looking evry bit as clueless as Van Gaal. If Giggs is made the next manager then be prepared for more mediocrity. Mourinho should get the job regardless of wether SAF or Bobby Charlton like him or not. And that on his previous record alone. No one is as big as the club Mr Charlton and FergiE. Giggs would be a terrible choice as new manager.
Think Fergie himself was the first to suggest Giggs as manager. To be honest a lot of people in the midi a have been angling for Giggs to be manager as soon as he was announced as interim boss.

Minimalist

Its worse than those people who were convinced that making Maradona manager of Argentina was 'the answer'. Just because someone is a legend it doesn't mean they will be a brilliant coach. If that were the case Keano would have been a huge success and Cantona would be manager of France.

Where did this Giggs as manager stuff even come from? Its the kind of thing Liverpool get wrapped up in, with their 'mythical' boot room. Did anyone think Sir Bobby was the man when we appointed the Doc? Its just mad.
The first I heard of it (I may be wrong - in that it was mentioned before), was prior to the CL final in 2011 (ironically around the time of his infamous affair and press injunction).

The line was something like, "the rumour is United have seen the success of Guardiola and despite the calls for many a big name manager to replace Sir Alex, they've already picked his successor behind the scenes and his name is Ryan Giggs."

I thought it was a piss take when I first heard it. How wrong I was.

That said, I admit it seems highly likely that Giggs must have shown something to Ferguson to suggest he could be a manager. Otherwise this would have never began. I just don't think Ferguson's opinions are worth a hell of a lot quite frankly. Despite how some seem to relate that to his managerial ability and question why his judgement would be off.

Fer

I think the comparison between a successful manager and a legendary football player with no experience as a manager it wont be balanced.

A Mourinho vs Pochettino poll would be more interesting. However, anything can happen so we could end up with Giggs as our next manager, or even Van Gaal could finishes his contract.

RedDevil@84

Other than the freakish situation at Chelsea this season Mouronho has a great relationship with most he's managed, and this season Hazard even apologized to him as clearly his issues are his own. I would say his throwing of Matic under the bus was a black mark, but he tried to discipline Costa and the nutter just stopped trying, even their fans booed Costa's actions. On a personal level Giggs has no credentials at all and has behaved worse than Mourinho ever has for the ones worried about the saintly image Bobby Charlton thinks we have.
I am not advocating Giggs as the next manager anyways. Mou is a lot lot lot better even with whatever antics he does with players, media and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.