Jose Mourinho's press conference - Brighton (FA Cup) - 14:00 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imo, if he really wanted to deflect from the players, he'd have said he got it wrong...the end.
Watched the whole thing. Sounds like a man defending his reputation, as is his right to do.

wolvored

What does City have to do with what happened on Tuesday?

I'm tired of his bringing up Pep and City. We're becoming the noisy whiny neighbours
Exactly! Hes been here a year and a half, he spent half a season plotting before he officially joined, and instead of owning his own shit, he blames it on another team being better, having more money etc At the end of the day he had to beat an inferior team on paper at home, and instead of going for it he was hoping for a 1-0 or going to pens. We were beat before the kiick off and then deservedly beat.

JoaquinJoaquin

So Jose says last summer he only needed 3 players to challenge for all competitions and now he says the squad left wasn't good enough. Straight out of the book of Van Gaal. All excuses unfortunately.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They both came across equally unhinged, self interested and full of shit.

Feel like ignoring anyone who suggested otherwise as they must be biased to think different as it is that painfully obvious. If he wasn't united manager we'd all be in unison.
Fair enough mate. Feel free to ignore me ;)

Owngoalscorer

This bloke is a f***ing has-been coward.. never prepared to shoulder the blame always somebody else's fault. In Business this burnt out wreck would never have been allowed to take the reigns of a top company.. someone who serially falls out with colleagues, co-workers and hierarchy.. get rid quickly! Never wanted this cnut near Man utd now we're beginning to see the fallout

Get In Scholesy

Yes we are on the same page then. Next season, if he is still here, he will be singing the same tune. He is not one to own up. He wanted to keep Fellaini ffs and has the gall to then say we aren't good enough and may never end up being good enough if the teams above us keep investing. It's like playing like a team or making the whole greater than the sum of the individual parts is an alien concept to him now. Is he the same guy who won the CL with fkng Porto!
I think, given his recent comments about the squad and its investments, he did make some sideways criticisms of some players, particularly the ones which have left the club.

I’m not sure he said we will never be good enough. He is building something here, and in a way, it was us as fans’ fault that we thought the previous window would solve all our problems. First we have to get the right players (which I don’t think we have yet) then we have to get the right balance.

gulli_G

Not sure i agree with that, what do you class as deadwood?
The players he has already got rid of, plus Darmian, Blind, Fellaini, I would even sell one of Smalling or Jones, maybe even Herrera and replace these positions with the likes of Tuanzebe, Gomez (players who understand what the club means and please without fear) and some new top class new players.

RedDevil5

How is he taking pressure off the players or blaming himself when he said many Sevilla players would start for United?

SuzieQ

We're doomed, SAF once said to be successful when you're walking down a corridor you have to know which doors to open, by the sounds of it Jose doesn't even know they difference between a door and a fecking wall.

Anybody got LvG's number ? :lol:
My understanding is that he was saying in the past he had players that would run through walls for him. Now he has players looking for doors in the wall. Might be wrong. Haven’t watched it properly.

SuzieQ

So Jose says last summer he only needed 3 players to challenge for all competitions and now he says the squad left wasn't good enough. Straight out of the book of Van Gaal. All excuses unfortunately.
He said he needed 4. As I recall he was quite miffed he didn’t get that 4th player.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The players he has already got rid of, plus Darmian, Blind, Fellaini, I would even sell one of Smalling or Jones, maybe even Herrera and replace these positions with the likes of Tuanzebe, Gomez (players who understand what the club means and please without fear) and some new top class new players.
its not really these guys that are under performing though, seems really werid to blame player like that when our top players like Sanchez and Pogba have been so poor.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
On another note, I've never used the ignore button, but I'm going to use it for every time I see Jose being compared to Trump or some other deluded halfwit.
Come on...Jose also talks about walls; how rubbish previous administrations were; and he's in-deep with Russia. Therefore, Jose=Trumpy. I rest my case.

gulli_G

its not really these guys that are under performing though, seems really werid to blame player like that when our top players like Sanchez and Pogba have been so poor.
Agree with the underperforming players but we should have quality in depth so when they are not performing we can bench them and replacements come in andn still play at a great level, what have most of those listed contributed this season? Not much, except for Smalling and in my opinion he shoild a be squad player and not good enough for the level we need at the back.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Come on...Jose also talks about walls; how rubbish previous administrations were; and he's in-deep with Russia. Therefore, Jose=Trumpy. I rest my case.
You make excellent points :D I also just read that he's hired Cambridge Analytica to collect data points on all the naysayers. Given the size of the fanbase, it's their biggest project yet.

ash_86

This thread has got to be the most replies for a press conf thread in the history of forums.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
My understanding is that he was saying in the past he had players that would run through walls for him. Now he has players looking for doors in the wall. Might be wrong. Haven’t watched it properly.
"I could be in another country with the league in the pocket, the kind of league that you win before the league starts but I'm not, I am here and I am going to be here and no way am I going to change my mentality. For me, I don't know if you know the expression but there is a code that I like, which is something like: Every wall is a door. I am not going to run away, I am not going to disappear, I am not going cry because I heard a few boos, I'm not going to disappear from the tunnel, running immediately, the next match I will be the first to go out. I respect the fans, I am not afraid of anything, I am not afraid of my responsibilities.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ootball-news/man-utd-team-news-squad-14424191

Lee Lamont

The man is ignorant, not taking into account Man Utd’S past and basically calling them a second rate team. He had been found out that his negative tactics don’t work, hell the system Van Gaal created the tiki taka was more entertaining and he never spend half as much money as mourinho did. If he doesn’t appreciate the club and fans then leave it’s that simple

SuzieQ

"I could be in another country with the league in the pocket, the kind of league that you win before the league starts but I'm not, I am here and I am going to be here and no way am I going to change my mentality. For me, I don't know if you know the expression but there is a code that I like, which is something like: Every wall is a door. I am not going to run away, I am not going to disappear, I am not going cry because I heard a few boos, I'm not going to disappear from the tunnel, running immediately, the next match I will be the first to go out. I respect the fans, I am not afraid of anything, I am not afraid of my responsibilities.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ootball-news/man-utd-team-news-squad-14424191
I was half right then.

Fully Fledged

Isn't that exactly what he did.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I also just read that he's hired Cambridge Analytica to collect data points on all the naysayers. Given the size of the fanbase, it's their biggest project yet.
:lol:

SuzieQ

Yes, that one player is the reason why our football is disjointed and we are 18 points behind the leaders and went out to Sevilla.
Might have been. If his plan required that players skill set, it could be the linchpin that stopped it fallimg apart. Remember how people would say the very same thing about carrick? Without him we had no real attack, with him we lost once in 17 games or something if I recall. You never know what the difference can be between winning and losing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
At least if LVG had a fit Shaw, and another year with Rash and Martial, we would have seen big improvements from them. We'd have been better off technically as well. LVG was pedantic and I still believe he was on the right track in some respects. The mistake we made is that we didn't have a Jupp Heynckes (bad spelling) to take over and add the dynamism needed plus of course getting in the right players. We jumped from one philosophy to another.
Mate, I reaslise taht you are an LVG fan, but don't even try to make out that LVG was doing a great job.
The improvements that Jose has brought in, compared to to LVG is night and day.
LVG was a 4th/5th place manager and if we gave him 10 years, he wouldn't have been able to win the title.
Jose has taken us to 2nd place in the league, in his 2nd year and hopefully, he'll win the title next season. Should this happen, there will be a major meltdown in here and I can't wait.

And regarding the press conference. It was passionate and I hope Jose can get our players to play with just as much passion.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This bloke is a f***ing has-been coward.. never prepared to shoulder the blame always somebody else's fault. In Business this burnt out wreck would never have been allowed to take the reigns of a top company.. someone who serially falls out with colleagues, co-workers and hierarchy.. get rid quickly! Never wanted this cnut near Man utd now we're beginning to see the fallout
Get a grip everything he says is true, not his problem the club was seriously mismanaged before he got here through LVG Moyes and Fergie as much of a legendary figure and marvel he was/is also left an aging first 11. This Cnut has won us two trophies with a shite squad and got us back into the champions league stages. He has got us second in the league. The comparisons with Pep are mental as Pep as Jose stated started with different levels of players. Check out Peps first 11 compared to ours we have two old wingers playing full back as Shaw got a bad break but since then he is a fat we fecker and his attitude is clearly not right.
Herrera who looks so poor and now injured.
Fellaini, Blind, Darmain, Rojo, Carrick, Zlatan, Shaw as stated, Herrera that’s 8 players that have contributed next to nothing this season. The first season Jose got rid of Bastion, Morgan, Depay and Rooney etc and as he said have a look at their levels now as Jose has told you.
We also have Smalling and Jones who can’t play a full season between them.
Mata playing in a position that doesn’t suit the team or him.
Jose signings have been on the whole good with Lukaku Bailley and Pogba looking potentially being here for a long time.
Lingard not my favourite but has improved as has Rashford and Martial has shown a bit of form and maturity.
Matic has been solid and definitely an upgrade.
Pogba imo has had a mixed season (injury and form) but look at his stats they are up there with anyone’s and he’s been playing in a formation that doesn’t entirely suit his game and Jose will know this now that Herrera has disappointed Fellaini never a long term option for midfield (although a useful player) and the Brazilian kid who went to Valencia against Jose wishes. Jose even had to resort to playing a youth team player (this is a manager who had been thrown at him that he’s hopeless at promoting youth). In his time here he has debunked that theory so far.
Jose has done better than I imagined would so far with this squad. He’s doing fine but crazy comparisons with across the city don’t help with a manager who has spent unprecedented amounts of money and his backroom staff that came the year before he did. Do you think Pep wasn’t planning this project and players before coming and speaking to his back room guys? Of course he was and rightly so but it’s just a daft comparison for me at this stage.
I agree style has been dreadful but then so is the balance of the squad so I say reserve judgment as no team is going to catch City right now but Jose has got us closer than Conte Klopp and Pochettino and whilst Conte and Pochettino will struggle to get a better 11 ours is full of holes Jose is papering over just now.
Ps (sorry for the long rant I’m on chemotherapy cycle and flying on meds)

Owngoalscorer

Cnut destroys player's confidence - just look what happened at Chelsea after Hazard (probably the 3rd best player in the world currently) got chucked under the bus...

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He signed eight players, plus the undisputed DDG. That´s already nine players he hand-picked with nearly unlimited resources. That´s not enough to form an above average eleven? You´d think he inherited Huddersfield the way he talks about Rashford, Martial and company.
He has bought 7 players, but within reason you do have a point.
I want to see how he does next season. 7th place. Now 2nd. Surely winning the league is now the only way to go?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Might have been. If his plan required that players skill set, it could be the linchpin that stopped it fallimg apart. Remember how people would say the very same thing about carrick? Without him we had no real attack, with him we lost once in 17 games or something if I recall. You never know what the difference can be between winning and losing.
Well, it could be. But do you really believe so?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yes, credit to Mourinho for coming prepared to vehemently defend himself, criticise everyone else, and take no blame. It's aways a conspiracy against Mourinho, nothing is ever his fault. He used to operate under Us vs. Them; now it's just Me vs.Them, feck everyone else.
That’s not what he said though is it, although it is a good a straw man. Delving into the Sevilla match isn’t too handy for this wider discourse around United, because ultimately it is one game of football in a knockout competition. We lost and I’m not sure anyone, including Mourinho, has said that we did well on the night.

Mourinho is spot on when he says that expectations are out of sync given recent performance post-Ferguson. I posted a number of points on the doublethink around United and City the other day and not going to rewrite it, but anyone who thinks that United should have been aiming for a minimum 90 point league season and being one of the top couple of favourites for the CL post group stage is crazy. City are having an incredible season, but it is incredible for a reason. No one expected that and United were starting further back than that.

Mou has won us two major trophies, hopefully we can make it a third in May with a good league finish and keep progressing.

Kag

That’s not what he said though is it, although it is a good a straw man. Delving into the Sevilla match isn’t too handy for this wider discourse around United, because ultimately it is one game of football in a knockout competition. We lost and I’m not sure anyone, including Mourinho, has said that we did well on the night.

Mourinho is spot on when he says that expectations are out of sync given recent performance post-Ferguson. I posted a number of points on the doublethink around United and City the other day and not going to rewrite it, but anyone who thinks that United should have been aiming for a minimum 90 point league season and being one of the top couple of favourites for the CL post group stage is crazy. City are having an incredible season, but it is incredible for a reason. No one expected that and United were starting further back than that.

Mou has won us two major trophies, hopefully we can make it a third in May with a good league finish and keep progressing.
Mourinho is talking out of his arse re. expectations. The outrage this week has not been because we were knocked out against Sevilla. It was the manner we were knocked out against Sevilla.

Given the quality of our squad and the money spent, the performance (s)over the two legs (and in most big matches, to be frank) was absolutely pathetic. It was nowhere near expectations.

What is so difficult to understand about this? I'm sorry, but people are switching around the argument in defence of Mourinho and it's disingenuous.

redIndianDevil

Still laughing at this notion that he's taking heat off the players.
When Moyes did something similar with his aspiring to be City comments he was mauled but when the "special" one does it, it is to "protect" the players. Not so long he was throwing the same players under the bus every time some shit hit the fan. All these Mourinho fanboys will bend over backwards to find reasons for his moronic rants instead of facing the issues.

Seveneric

No excuses.

Mourinho on Alex Ferguson after Porto beat Man Utd in 2004: "He has some top players in the world and they should be doing a lot better than that. You would be really sad if your team gets as clearly dominated as that by an opponent who has been built on maybe 10% of the budget"
Makes everything even more laughable :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.