Jose Mourinho's Utd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonred

The 10 min or so spell in the second half was quite entertaining. Every time Pogba had the ball after the initial stages was also quite entertaining. There were numerous other instances which can be deemed entertaining. Regardless, we've had this debate (winning vs entertainment) quite a bit in the early stages of LVG's 2nd season. It's abundantly clear to me that people don't necessarily want to sacrifiece one for the other even if it means winning less. For me though, winning comes first. Having both is obviously ideal.

Jose's football will always be pragmatic. we have players who are capable of playing good football and will hopefully show that most times.But when the need arises, we will be negative and boring and we should be fine with that as well.

Ibi Dreams

Ultimately you feel good after getting 3 points, even if it wasn't pretty or easy. Not winning a game after playing well is gutting. Everyone wants to be entertained during the game but it's also important to consider how you feel afterwards. Obviously it's a balance, but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest that I'll be bored by the style we've utilised so far

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The 10 min or so spell in the second half was quite entertaining. Every time Pogba had the ball after the initial stages was also quite entertaining. There were numerous other instances which can be deemed entertaining. Regardless, we've had this debate (winning vs entertainment) quite a bit in the early stages of LVG's 2nd season. It's abundantly clear to me that people don't necessarily want to sacrifiece one for the other even if it means winning less. For me though, winning comes first. Having both is obviously ideal.

Jose's football will always be pragmatic. we have players who are capable of playing good football and will hopefully show that most times.But when the need arises, we will be negative and boring and we should be fine with that as well.
His negative and boring will still be better than LVG's

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Positively surprised so far. He's using squad quite well, substitutions do their job. Very promising game tonight- we won't be able to play counter-attacking football against all teams, so it's very important we're able to break down opposition sitting deep like Hull today. And even if we got only a draw tonight, I'd be writing the same - last 30 minutes were really good from us.

Valencia - Bailly - Blind - Shaw look immense defensively, but also useful going forward. There's a lot space to improve in attack and I don't think Martial and Mata should be starting next games with Rashford, Mkhitaryan and Lingard on current form. Rooney looks garbage centrally but once he moves to the side he has more space and time to operate and he actually is useful at times.

We can, and will get much better than this but 9 points out of 3 games is fantastic so far. Also, today game and result will give the team a huge boost. International breake really comes in a bad moment!

prateik

He keeps saying he has 23 players (+3 keepers).
Do we know who the 23rd is?

Darmian
Valencia
Smalling
Jones
Bailly
Blind
Rojo
Shaw
Schneiderlin
Herrera
Fellaini
Pogba
Carrick
Mata
Lingard
Rooney
Mikhi
Martial
Young
Ibra
Rashford
Depay

Who is the 23rd? TFM?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He keeps saying he has 23 players (+3 keepers).
Do we know who the 23rd is?

Darmian
Valencia
Smalling
Jones
Bailly
Blind
Rojo
Shaw
Schneiderlin
Herrera
Fellaini
Pogba
Carrick
Mata
Lingard
Rooney
Mikhi
Martial
Young
Ibra
Rashford
Depay

Who is the 23rd? TFM?
yes TFM is part of the 23.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's all about winning and not style then?
Winning is the most important thing in any sport. Anybody who follows sport knows this (except LVG).
Very few people remember the losers.
Usain Bolt, Tiger Woods, Lionel Messi, Ronaldo, Novac Djokovic, Serena Williams - these are some of the biggest names in global sport, because they are winners.

Regarding style: we play a balanced system that sometimes sees us attempt to pass the ball into the penalty box and we also play a fast counter attacking style.
These are effective methods of scoring goals and winning games.

Personally, after seeing 2 solid years of possession football, I'm sick and tired of it and find myself completely ignoring the possession stat of our games.
I want us to play an attacking style of football, which is what Jose has introduced.

For those craving some possession football: download some of our games from last season, from somewhere. Just make sure you have a lots of caffeine, because our brand of possession football was known to induce sleep and was some of the most boring football ever witnessed at OT.

Oneunited26

Winning is the most important thing in any sport. Anybody who follows sport knows this (except LVG).
Very few people remember the losers.
Usain Bolt, Tiger Woods, Lionel Messi, Ronaldo, Novac Djokovic, Serena Williams - these are some of the biggest names in global sport, because they are winners.

Regarding style: we play a balanced system that sometimes sees us attempt to pass the ball into the penalty box and we also play a fast counter attacking style.
These are effective methods of scoring goals and winning games.

Personally, after seeing 2 solid years of possession football, I'm sick and tired of it and find myself completely ignoring the possession stat of our games.
I want us to play an attacking style of football, which is what Jose has introduced.

For those craving some possession football: download some of our games from last season, from somewhere. Just make sure you have a lots of caffeine, because our brand of possession football was known to induce sleep and was some of the most boring football ever witnessed at OT.
The style has not been a problem, not only are we overruning teams, we are in-stealing a mentality where everyone's game is going to another level. We are not inept, we defend has a team I have not seen us do it this well since the 2006/09 days, tactically we just brilliantly drilled, the last half hour was classic fergie teams, where we get the ball and we pin teams back, and teams get lucky we not getting that ball over the line and we having that frustrating time, but what did we do? we kept going and going and going until the team collapses which they did, this kind of stuff happened against blackburn 08. One thing has given me more hope, is the introduction of Mkh and rashford, their impact not only made us quicker we looked like we could score goals. So the Mourinho magic has seen us tick every box possible we could ask for, a team looking well drilled, never gives up, 9 points out of 9 in the first 3 games, and going forward we can only be on the up.

Ban

We were a bit nervous in the 1st but it was all United in the 2nd. We look a lot more direct and a lot more like we're gonna score unlike last year.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Love how they've tried to link this incident with José's "career of controversy". :D

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

The United

People talked about how we seemed to have same problem like LVG in term of breaking down the wall etc. Well it is only a game.

If there is a problem, it would be same as LVG imo which is lack of speed in front line. Martial not being in form does not help. The right side is same thing. Playing no 10s who rather cut in than out wide. The targetman who does not attack the last line and the no 10 who caf thinks is a shit footballer now.

So, yeah idk if lack of speed will give us same problem as last season. But, I like pumping numbers into the box when we need a goal whereas last season we still had 3 people in the box at most while subbing FBs at 60 mins mark.

And, Rashford seems to be a part of solution this season like last too. Hopefully Jose realizes it and play him more.

RedStarUnited

People talked about how we seemed to have same problem like LVG in term of breaking down the wall etc. Well it is only a game.

If there is a problem, it would be same as LVG imo which is lack of speed in front line. Martial not being in form does not help. The right side is same thing. Playing no 10s who rather cut in than out wide. The targetman who does not attack the last line and the no 10 who caf thinks is a shit footballer now.

So, yeah idk if lack of speed will give us same problem as last season. But, I like pumping numbers into the box when we need a goal whereas last season we still had 3 people in the box at most while subbing FBs at 60 mins mark.

And, Rashford seems to be a part of solution this season like last too. Hopefully Jose realizes it and play him more.
I always feel when people talk in terms of speed they over emphasize the running and under appreciate the passing needed. We played quicker passes in the second half, its not like Hull pushed up and we had loads of space, we were still operating in the same space but our intensity went up a lot more.

The United

I always feel when people talk in terms of speed they over emphasize the running and under appreciate the passing needed. We played quicker passes in the second half, its not like Hull pushed up and we had loads of space, we were still operating in the same space but our intensity went up a lot more.
Well, I was talking about wingers/fbs whatever going behind their line. Valencia passing/crossing was a bit crap in that game. Once Rooney was able to run behind the line from width area, we got a goal. I felt that we should have been doing it more instead of trying to penetrate the middle with inside forwards especially none of them are the likes of Ronaldo or bale. Hull were putting like 8 men inside the box. Gotta stretch them somehow.

rotherham_red

68% possession against Hull on Saturday, hope the possessophiles were suitably impressed.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
We play like CL away legs under the latter years of Sir Alex, solid, compact, quiet the crowd and capitalise when you can over the 90mins, i'm not going to say it isn't effective, because it would be a lie, but it's not terribly entertaing to me, particuarly with how we set up our wingers under Mourinho.
I guess i've been spoiled badly by SAF's earlier teams but theres not really much i'd call "Fun" over our style when i'm sat there watching honestly.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We play like CL away legs under the latter years of Sir Alex, solid, compact, quiet the crowd and capitalise when you can over the 90mins, i'm not going to say it isn't effective, because it would be a lie, but it's not terribly entertaing to me, particuarly with how we set up our wingers under Mourinho.
I guess i've been spoiled badly by SAF's earlier teams but theres not really much i'd call "Fun" over our style when i'm sat there watching honestly.
As much as our style won't necessarily be brilliant under Mourinho, it's still early in the season. No team tends to produce excellent football on a remarkably consistent basis (even Fergie's best teams had plenty of off days), so I've got some confidence we'll see plenty of excellent performances under Mourinho.

GJNJ

Well, I was talking about wingers/fbs whatever going behind their line. Valencia passing/crossing was a bit crap in that game. Once Rooney was able to run behind the line from width area, we got a goal. I felt that we should have been doing it more instead of trying to penetrate the middle with inside forwards especially none of them are the likes of Ronaldo or bale. Hull were putting like 8 men inside the box. Gotta stretch them somehow.
I do prefer pace out wide but Hull defended from deep so there would not have been space in behind for pacey wingers. It was only once they tired that pace was unlocking them. I think Mkhitaryan will be the key in future against packed defences as he has the passing to go unside and unlock defences and the pace to go outside.

The United

I do prefer pace out wide but Hull defended from deep so there would not have been space in behind for pacey wingers. It was only once they tired that pace was unlocking them. I think Mkhitaryan will be the key in future against packed defences as he has the passing to go unside and unlock defences and the pace to go outside.
Exactly why you put wide forwards at later in the games to stretch them coz they would be tired. Classic tactic from SAF. He always kept players attacking from wide areas even if he put more strikers.

Ainu

Remember where we come from. We finished 5th last season and played some of the dullest football available. What we need now more than ever is to get back to becoming serial winners. Along the way, we'll play plenty of good football, as we've already showed in patches in our 4 competitive games so far. There's plenty of fun to be had watching that and regularly picking up the points. Only the very best sides can consistently play entertaining and successful football. That has to be our ambition but we aren't there yet.

carlosp

'FERGIE TIME'
Jose Mourinho was delighted to win in classic Manchester United fashion - with a goal "in Fergie time" - as the Reds claimed a dramatic and deserved victory over Hull City. Here are the main points from the manager's post-match interviews...

Happy to call it Fergie time
"[Sir Alex Ferguson is] such a legend in the club and I’m more than happy to say that we won in 'Fergie time'. I’m more than happy with that."

I always believed the goal would arrive
"I know when we score late people will speak about a bit of luck but the reality is we deserved it, especially in the second half. We were so dominant, so intense in our rhythm and our attacking wave and I always believed the goal would arrive."

Great credit for our opponents
"I have to say that Hull City did an amazing job and defended with everything. They couldn’t counterattack because I think we played very well defensively and every time we lost the ball we were really strong. But I think they did fantastically well, congratulations to them and if I was the chairman I would give the job immediately to Mike Phelan. In the eyes of everyone, the players are giving everything and for him. They couldn’t do more than what they did and congratulations to Mike and the Hull boys."

Rashford's special contribution
"A big smile and a big hug is enough! Marcus [Rashford] is working extremely well and both times when the team was in trouble and needed one goal. The Community Shield with the score at 1-1 and today when the score was 0-0 he came on and gave a special contribution. Everybody is speaking about him and Ibra [Zlatan Ibrahimovic] – they can play together as they showed today. I think with more work he can play coming from one of the sides but I think the kid is a striker and when we play with him and Ibra together we give different problems to the opposition. Sometimes Ibra drops back because he already likes to play with the ball at his feet and Marcus is fast and has appetite to attack the last line. We tried everything."

Fellaini had to stay on
"I was thinking about a last change with Marouane [Fellaini] coming off but I was a bit afraid with them at set-pieces. It can happen when you dominate, dominate and dominate and there can be a set-piece in the last minute and you can lose the game. Marouane is a special guy for us in our defensive work and I think everyone played well and gave everything."

The fans had that feeling
"The spirit is amazing. You only win these matches if you want to win a lot. If you are in a comfortable situation and you think a point is not bad or you think let’s see what’s going to happen, you don’t win, but the boys until the last minute believed. Of course I feel sorry for Hull but my guys deserved it and the way the fans supported them, especially in the second half, the fans had that feeling too and knew we were doing everything."

Mental side can make a difference
"We started to think about what this game could be even before the game started. We knew the way they defended. We knew that [Tom] Huddlestone would play in a line of three and we knew they would be very organised. Tactically you can change things, bring situations to the game, try to create problems for your opponent, but it’s the mental side of it that can make a difference. We speak about this all the time."

Our objective is to be champions
"Our objective is only one – to be champions. If at the end of the season we finish second, third or fourth it’s because someone is better than us, if you finish fifth or sixth it’s because we were not good enough. You have to play to win every game. If we don’t win, we don’t win, but the mentality is there and the boys are giving everything . It’s amazing when I look to my side and I see the people on the bench suffering with us and then jumping for the goal. It’s a privilege for me to work with these guys."

Jose Mourinho was talking to BT Sport andMUTV.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...ester-uniteds-last-gasp-win-at-hull-city.aspx

Distracted Steward

I'm really looking forward to fixture congestion. It's going to be interesting seeing how Mourinho uses the squad and what starting XI he settles on.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I'm really looking forward to fixture congestion. It's going to be interesting seeing how Mourinho uses the squad and what starting XI he settles on.
I would say the starting XI is almost completely settled by now. The surprises are Blind for Smalling, but it won't change unless some injury or drastic drop of form from one of the center-backs; and Fellaini as defensive midfielder, which might be for grabs since he's injured, but even so I'm seeing Mourinho picking Fellaini again, even if his substitute (maybe Herrera) does well. The only exception for a settled XI is the right-winger position, where I see too players fully able to supplante Mata on the short run: Mkhitaryan and Lingard.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It's a long season ahead and Jose needs more time, obviously. We still can improve our play in the last 3rd and, in general, our passing. Quicker, sharper, creative.

Natener

SAF's earlier teams would not be as effective today because teams are much less aggressive as they used to be. The games are much less open and even the likes of Hull would be less forgiving if we allow them space. We have to be realistic with how the opposition set up nowadays and I see a different kind of 'fun'. The swashbuckling football of the 90s is gone but the Hull game showed we were keen to apply relentless pressure to get the win and I find that very enjoyable under Mourinho. The spirit as Mourinho said is there now, we want the win every game and it's showing on the pitch. That in itself is enjoyable for me.

SambaBoy

Still think we were crossing the ball from deep too often. It's easy to do when we have Ibra who's so good in the air, but Davies was a monster for them and we were not getting much luck with our crossing.

Sometimes it would be better to try intricate 1-2's on the edge of the box as we have the players for it or try isolate the full-back and take him on like we seen Mata do in the first half. With the pace and trickery we have from our wingers, we should be able to easily beat the full-backs 1 on 1 and get to the byline.

Shinehead Dred

We didn't play the greatest football against Hull (not sure what more we could have done against a team who's sole purpose was not to concede) , but we played like team that was determined to play to the bitter end to get the win. Not sure how many attempts at goal we had, but I'm sure it was a lot. Also for the first time in a long while I felt confident that they wouldn't score. Our back 5 look awesome at the mo. Interested to see how Chris will fit into the mix.

The football we have witnessed so far this season is a million times better than the shite served up under vangle in terms of the hunger shown by the players to do well.

I'm confident that "style" of football will evolve with the team, and once everyone works out each other's intricacies we'll be playing some lovely stuff. However I can truly say that I have been thoroughly entertained so far and haven't felt the need to nod off or slit my wrists. That's gotta mean improvement surely?

snk123

Spent hours and hours debating with mates on why Mourinho was the best choice and that "his brand of football" is miles better than LVG's. So far so good.

pacifictheme

Ultimately you feel good after getting 3 points, even if it wasn't pretty or easy. Not winning a game after playing well is gutting. Everyone wants to be entertained during the game but it's also important to consider how you feel afterwards. Obviously it's a balance, but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest that I'll be bored by the style we've utilised so far
This really.

Chris M

Happy with the points and performance, so refreshing to see the manager getting involved from the touchline with substitutions that made sense to the supporters. Last year it would have been time to bring on a right or left back to inflate the manager ego of being a football genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.