Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Mou was never an outstanding tactician, a charismatic general instead. After Madrid, it seems to me he does not trust his own troops any more and just loses patience when things do not go his way, therefore the en masse substitutions and feck ya all. Pretorians never subbed, of course.
Huh :confused::confused:

He is famed worldwide for his in depth tactical acumen and obsessive attention to detail.

Sylar

His subs were weird but only because of where they ended up.
Fellaini moving to DM made no sense, he should have been pushed right behind the striker or the other side of Zlatan to become a two men target for deeper balls to hit.
Lingard should have come on to the right of midfield and Rashford up top to run on to the flicks from Zlatan and Fellaini.

I didnt understand Lingard at LB when hes not two footed like Mkhi. I also think taking off Carrick was a mistake when he should have been moved into a CB position given our extra man advantage (like he did against West Ham away?)

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Well, here in Italy even Inter fans adored him as a Napoleon, not as a football Einstein for sure. He was regularly outsmarted by mid-table managers and his answer was very often to send all strikers in and call long balls from behind. Anyway, my point is the older he gets, the faster he shows frustration towards mediocre players. At Inter, even that some d*ckhead Materazzi was going to war for him week in week out!

TsuWave

really disappointed with him today. poor team selection, unwillingness to take zlatan off, team played worse against 10, the subs, the long balls. Just terrible really.

shaky

really disappointed with him today. poor team selection, unwillingness to take zlatan off, team played worse against 10, the subs, the long balls. Just terrible really.
Honestly, if we'd taken Zlatan off every time he looked like he was having a bad game, we'd probably have far less points than we do now.

MadMike

Fellaini moving to DM made no sense, he should have been pushed right behind the striker or the other side of Zlatan to become a two men target for deeper balls to hit.
Lingard should have come on to the right of midfield and Rashford up top to run on to the flicks from Zlatan and Fellaini.

I didnt understand Lingard at LB when hes not two footed like Mkhi. I also think taking off Carrick was a mistake when he should have been moved into a CB position given our extra man advantage (like he did against West Ham away?)
Exactly. Not only were the subs probably not the right ones, but they were played entirely in the wrong areas. Lingard at LB and Fellaini in DM actually made us worse than better.

He should have taken off Ibra and pushed Martial with Rashford upfront, with Mata behind. Drop the midfield a shade deeper and play the fullbacks as wingers. We were playing against 10 after all. Then in the last 10 mins throw Fellaini on as striker.

Eddy_JukeZ

His subs today and their instructions that came from him would have made LVG proud. Not a good game from Jose.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ups and downs, CL spot still there, race will go down to the wire.
Yeah, our wire will involve trips to Spurs, City, Arsenal and Chelsea at home.

I'd be shocked if we get top 4 this season. The Hull game at Old Trafford was the icing on the cake for me. We had 4th spot in our hands and we couldn't grab it. Today was the same. We just don't have it this season.

I've still no doubts Jose is the man to win is the league again. Infact, I think we'll be in the title rave this time next year.

El Zoido

He moved Fellaini in to DM and pushed Pogba up, which would have worked had Pogba not fluffed three good chances in the last five minutes. I'd rather this than putting Fellaini up top and pinging the high ball to him. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

red_devil83

Yeah, our wire will involve trips to Spurs, City, Arsenal and Chelsea at home.

I'd be shocked if we get top 4 this season. The Hull game at Old Trafford was the icing on the cake for me. We had 4th spot in our hands and we couldn't grab it. Today was the same. We just don't have it this season.

I've still no doubts Jose is the man to win is the league again. Infact, I think we'll be in the title rave this time next year.
Love a good rave. Can't wait to see big Zlat with his glow sticks. Mourinho might even smile after a bit of mandy

Jonno

The way I see it.

Moyes, wrong manager, right players

Van Gaal, wrong manager, wrong players

Mourinho, RIGHT manager, wrong players.

I'm very happy just to see us draw and our manager lay into our finishing. Van Gaal depressed me so much, he used to only want 1 shot on target!

NoPace

He moved Fellaini in to DM and pushed Pogba up, which would have worked had Pogba not fluffed three good chances in the last five minutes. I'd rather this than putting Fellaini up top and pinging the high ball to him. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Fellaini can't come on to play deep against anyone decent and he certainly can't come on to play deep against 10 men when we have the ball. We'd have been better off just playing Mata or Lingard there.

Infuriating work from Mourinho but in a 55 game season this will happen a few times.

Varun

Staff
He cannot put the ball in the back of net for our players. Way too many chances missed, that's not on the manager. His job is to set us up in a way that enables us to create chances and stop the opposition from creating them. Something we've done all season long.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ah, the usual suspects are at it again - takes only one or two bad results for the hyperbole to rear its head. Anyway, no one will hold Mourinho accountable because he's not culpable for the players' profligacy in front of goal - like Varun pointed out:
He cannot put the ball in the back of net for our players. Way too many chances missed, that's not on the manager. His job is to set us up in a way that enables us to create chances and stop the opposition from creating them. Something we've done all season long.
That's spot on. A manager can build a structure to bring said players into positions to score (we should've realistically been 4-0 up by half time, if not more), but the onus is then on the individual(s) and their quality/composure to provide the finishing touches - no amount of cajoling by the manager can rectify that because he can't fundamentally retool the players. That's based on the cumulative evidence over the last 3 seasons - and will take more than just one window to resolve.

We've tried several different combinations in the league over the course of the current season, and the one consistent theme there is that when Zlatan has a poor game, more often than not - the others don't pick up the slack. Our reliance on him is quite staggering - and part of the problem because he's now rescued so many points or lost cause situations for us after 75 minutes, that subbing him off doesn't make statistical sense even when he's having a poor game. Something similar is happening with Mkhitaryan - every time he's not on the field, we miss that extra bit of inventiveness from midfield and attacking midfield areas. Or Herrera - we miss his snapping on the oppositions' heels presence and verve in the center of the park in more evenly contested affairs.

It's an imperfect set of personnel, with the imperfections being highlighted every so often - which shouldn't come as a surprise. Hope we now refocus on the Europa League (were doing so already, but it should now be our primary objective for the current season - because with our fixtures in the league, and the frequency of games - Top 4 will be more than an uphill task in realistic terms), and then use the summer as a springboard for greater consistency come next season.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Carrick had been playing a lot of sloppy throughballs and was on a booking, so his sub was fine. Shaw had done well, but we wanted to bring on more attackers, and since Pogba is undroptable, Martial is our only actual winger and Mata is the only player in our front 6 with any genuine composure, it made some semblance of sense to replace him with Lingard.

Rooney was the weird one, as he was one of the few players with any urgency, and Fellaini did nothing as either a midfielder or target man to improve us.

The team he picked should've been at least 3 up by half time though. We can all play armchair manager, but the only thing I can genuinely fault him for is his reluctance to ever sub Zlatan or Pogba. And even then, I can kinda see his logic.

Ban

Well, here in Italy even Inter fans adored him as a Napoleon, not as a football Einstein for sure. He was regularly outsmarted by mid-table managers and his answer was very often to send all strikers in and call long balls from behind. Anyway, my point is the older he gets, the faster he shows frustration towards mediocre players. At Inter, even that some d*ckhead Materazzi was going to war for him week in week out!
You havent kept track of his career very much?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Can't believe people are blaming Jose for yesterday's result. We had countless chances to win the game but the players fecked up. Not sure what Jose could do other than come onto the pitch himself and finish off those chances.

Born2Lose

Can't believe people are blaming Jose for yesterday's result. We had countless chances to win the game but the players fecked up. Not sure what Jose could do other than come onto the pitch himself and finish off those chances.
He's to blame partly because it's been a pattern all season long and he's done little to change it. He plays it far too cautious for my liking in home games against teams we should be clear favourites against.

Mr.Plow

Are we even working on finishing in training? The amount of chances we're missing is crazy. It can't just be a coincidence.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He's to blame partly because it's been a pattern all season long and he's done little to change it. He plays it far too cautious for my liking in home games against teams we should be clear favourites against.
I don't see how he plays it too cautious. He played with 2 midfielders instead of 3, 2 strikers instead of 1, brought off a fullback for an attacking midfielder (shaw for Lingard), brought off a holding midfielder for a pretend attacker (Fellaini).

Our players have simply been fecking up scoring chances and that has been our downfall this season. You look at our goalscorers and only Zlatan is in double digits. That tells the entire story. If Jose has to be blamed, then maybe he should put these bunch of bottling forwards on shooting practice the entire week.

Gladiator

I don't see how he plays it too cautious. He played with 2 midfielders instead of 3, 2 strikers instead of 1, brought off a fullback for an attacking midfielder (shaw for Lingard), brought off a holding midfielder for a pretend attacker (Fellaini).

Our players have simply been fecking up scoring chances and that has been our downfall this season. You look at our goalscorers and only Zlatan is in double digits. That tells the entire story. If Jose has to be blamed, then maybe he should put these bunch of bottling forwards on shooting practice the entire week.
only thing i would say is it doesn't seem the players work on their finishing and despite the criticisms people have of LVG, i know the players specifically worked on finishing with him. Thus even though United didn't create a lot shots, more likely to score from the ones they did

R'hllor

What position was playing that pretend attacker?

R'hllor

Midfield for a good few minutes before he started moving further forward.
It was more then good few minutes,using Afroman (its not the 1st time either) as someone who will build up play...next time he can pair up Smalling and him in a midfield

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Carrick had been playing a lot of sloppy throughballs and was on a booking, so his sub was fine. Shaw had done well, but we wanted to bring on more attackers, and since Pogba is undroptable, Martial is our only actual winger and Mata is the only player in our front 6 with any genuine composure, it made some semblance of sense to replace him with Lingard.

Rooney was the weird one, as he was one of the few players with any urgency, and Fellaini did nothing as either a midfielder or target man to improve us.

The team he picked should've been at least 3 up by half time though. We can all play armchair manager, but the only thing I can genuinely fault him for is his reluctance to ever sub Zlatan or Pogba. And even then, I can kinda see his logic.
Pre match when you saw the run of results Burnley have been on.. you knew they would be up for a fight today and raise their game. They were hungry for a result and desperate to do so and they're a difficult side in general to face.

That lineup by Jose must have given them motivation, Jones, Shaw, Rooney all coming in from the cold in the same game and Carrick, Mata, Rooney, Zlatan in the same side? Where is the pace in that attack.

Once you survive the initial onslaught and keep Martial in check, it was inevitable we would be easier to deal with as the match went on.

Mourinho has been awful in terms of subs and changing things up in these home games.

For a start I'd like to see Rash and Martial flanking Zlatan and Mata in the 10 every home game whenever Mkhi is out. That will stretch their defence.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
I am with Bepi on this one. Mourinho was never a master tactician, i mean not in his Porto, Chelsea1, Inter, Real Madrid, Chelsea2 and now United days. His tactical approach is pretty much basic. Just read what Hazard said recently when asked about the diffrences between Mou and Conte.
What makes Jose great is his man management. One could argue that this skill is nowdays more important than tactical one. And Mourinho is one of the best motivators ever. But i think after that Madrid spell he somehow lost a bit of faith in his own methods lol

The_Order

Mou is tactically adept, to say otherwise is idiotic, that's like saying Carrick isn't a good footballer just because he isn't as good as Busquets.

He got his team selection wrong, Mata, Zlatan, Carrick and Rooney...too many players without pace to get in behind Bournemouth.

Overall, against 10 men, with all those first half chances and a penalty, it's a game we should be winning

Furthermore, his blindspot for Ibra and Pogba is becoming a problem.

MadMike

He didn't play two strikers. He played one, Ibra. Rooney was playing deeper. Martial does not play a striker's position, he's a winger/inside-forward. His job is primarily to create for Ibra which I think he did twice yesterday. Rashford was on the RW when he came on too.

He took off Shaw to bring on Lingard and played him at LWB/LM (yes, he did). Even though Lingard is right-footed and not a good dribbler thus he couldn't provide width. As we can see he was a wasted sub.

He brought Fellaini, the pretend striker on, and played him in CM in place of Carrick. Again, yes, that's where he was on the pitch. The year before we bought Fellaini, he had 12 goals (1 in 3) from playing as a 2nd striker. For reasons unknown when we bought him we thought we could use him as a CM, even thought he wasn't even the best CM at Everton.

I'm not here screaming "Sack Jose", I'm just saying we have to acknowledge some fault with his subs and his persistence on Ibra when he's having the worst game. Ibra is the focus of our attack and he's on double digits. But he's also on double digits on big chances missed and no other striker is anywhere near him (see below). Zlatan is great, but we need a plan B when he's playing that badly and we don't have one. This is also a Mourinho fault.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

People on here will ALWAYS say the manager made the wrong substitutions in a game where we drop points. Because there's always reasons to claim different decisions would have turned out better. Basically, hindsight will always win. If Lingard or Fellaini scored then we'd all be applauding his genius, seeing as they both have a track record of scoring late and important goals. They didn't, so now they shouldn't have been on the pitch. All of which means you're probably wasting your time trying to reason with anyone.

I agree with your summary fwiw. Including the point about how the Pog/Zlat immunity to being hooked is simultaneously frustrating and understandable.

togg

Thank you for a sensible level headed post...

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I must say I thought Jose was a very good manager but now I think he's absolutely awful. However I'll change my mind next week

MadMike

People on here will ALWAYS say the manager made the wrong substitutions in a game where we drop points. Because there's always reasons to claim different decisions would have turned out better. Basically, hindsight will always win. If Lingard or Fellaini scored then we'd all be applauding his genius, seeing as they both have a track record of scoring late and important goals. They didn't, so now they shouldn't have been on the pitch. All of which means you're probably wasting your time trying to reason with anyone.

I agree with your summary fwiw. Including the point about how the Pog/Zlat immunity to being hooked is simultaneously frustrating and understandable.
Do they? They haven't managed a single EPL goal between them this season. They have 5 goals between them in other competitions and I think only one of them was a late goal.

And it's not just about the subs themselves, it's where he put them in to play. Fellaini as a 2nd striker in the box during the last 10 mins I can totally understand. Fellaini as a CM for 25 mins, I don't.

Lingard can score goals from a free role, like in the EFL final or Community shield. Substituting Shaw and being told to play as LM, he's not gonna get you goals from there or help you by providing width. He's right footed, when he plays on the left he has to cut inside.

Rash was also not really good when he came on, but I'm not criticising that change because he put him on the area of the pitch from which he can be a danger. The fact he wasn't good, I can't blame the manager for that.

Last edited:

legball

Find it funny when people say he's just a motivator & not adept tactically, he's very adept tactically, however, he is not a purist like Guardiola, and he's not someone who'll stick to his one way of doing things, he is a pragmatic manager. Having said that, it's clear that he doesn't do a lot of attacking drills, almost every of his former players have also said this. We've had the same problems all season, poor final ball & poor finishing but there has been no solution in sight. I can predict our attacking moves & it's very easy to neutralize actually, this has been my major criticism of his management, he has to evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.