Jose's tactics at United | Acrophobia discussion

Adebesi

Remember him saying that a team with less then 4 tall players would have a mare during set pieces(iirc it was his reason as to why Ivanovic had to start and he couldn't move Azpilicueta to right back to accommodate Felipe Luis)
Reading that reminded me of Van Gaal's left-foot-right-foot defender preoccupation. I guess all managers have their idiosyncrasies.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It is usual to have a combo in CM of a tall and a smallish player: Busquets and Xavi, Casemiro and Modric, Matic and Kante (now Bakayoko and Kante), Fernandinho and Toure, Carrick and Scholes and so on. Most of these tall players are in between 185 and 190 cm. It is very rare to have two players over 190 in CM. I reckon there is no elite professional team with two such players.

Now, Jose and most people on here think that this isn't a problem at all because Pogba and Matic happen to be very good on the ball and are not slow. Thus, Jose sort of combines the best features of two worlds - that of the technical but physically unimpressive players and that of the physical beasts who are a bit clumsy on the ball. My qualm is that combining two very tall players - 191 and 194 cm - in CM may have not only the obvious benefits but also some costs - mostly with regard to dynamism, tempo, quick reactions in midfield, slow and disrupted build-up when intensly pressed by the opposition. I think we kind of witnessed these problems vs Madrid when for a large part of the game United looked poor. Because that was Madrid who have a fantastic team (even without Ronaldo) and because the final result (a minimal loss) flattered to deceive, no one paid much attention to those 40-50 minutes in which Real were toying with United. The problems resurfaced vs Stoke who were quite comfortable in midfield. It is too early to draw conclusions though. The picture will be much clearer after October when we play several strong teams. Maybe Matic + Pogba will be the key for a very successful season.
Yeah I understand that it's usual to have just 1 tall player in centre mid. But like I said do you think we'd be better equipped in the CL if we replaced Pogba with a player like Thiago. Then we would have the standard 1 tall CM without losing quality as Thiago is of a similar standard. I'm not denying that having tall players CAN produce problems, however I think Jose has got around this by the 1 additional tall player in our side being Pogba.

Moonwalker

It is usual to have a combo in CM of a tall and a smallish player: Busquets and Xavi, Casemiro and Modric, Matic and Kante (now Bakayoko and Kante), Fernandinho and Toure, Carrick and Scholes and so on. Most of these tall players are in between 185 and 190 cm. It is very rare to have two players over 190 in CM. I reckon there is no elite professional team with two such players.

Now, Jose and most people on here think that this isn't a problem at all because Pogba and Matic happen to be very good on the ball and are not slow. Thus, Jose sort of combines the best features of two worlds - that of the technical but physically unimpressive players and that of the physical beasts who are a bit clumsy on the ball. My qualm is that combining two very tall players - 191 and 194 cm - in CM may have not only the obvious benefits but also some costs - mostly with regard to dynamism, tempo, quick reactions in midfield, slow and disrupted build-up when intensly pressed by the opposition. I think we kind of witnessed these problems vs Madrid when for a large part of the game United looked poor. Because that was Madrid who have a fantastic team (even without Ronaldo) and because the final result (a minimal loss) flattered to deceive, no one paid much attention to those 40-50 minutes in which Real were toying with United. The problems resurfaced vs Stoke who were quite comfortable in midfield. It is too early to draw conclusions though. The picture will be much clearer after October when we play several strong teams. Maybe Matic + Pogba will be the key for a very successful season.
I thought I understood what you were trying to say as I've summed up here. Correct me if that's not fair abridgement.

You really give hostage to fortune with that line in bold though. Do you really think Matic and Pogba are not good enough to deal with fecking Stoke?

Treble

I thought I understood what you were trying to say as I've summed up here. Correct me if that's not fair abridgement.

You really give hostage to fortune with that line in bold though. Do you really think Matic and Pogba are not good enough to deal with fecking Stoke?
Stoke away is a relatively difficult fixture. Other top teams will lose points there too. Still, I and many other fans expected a more dominant performance. At times they were moving the ball quite well in midfield, Fletcher looked very lively. Our problems in that game may have nothing to do with our midfield though. Generally, I suspect that we may have problems in midfield against top opposition capable of free-flowing football or intense pressing and quick counters, not against Stoke. Matic and Pogba are way better than Stoke's mids.

Last edited:

wolvored

I dont see the point of this thread. Its obvious Jose has bought tall players, whether thats the important attribute to him, or its just another attribute alongside the others that Jose looks for. So far its helped us win us 2 trophies, got us into Europe, and now top of the league scoring 16 goals with only 2 against. Jose hasnt picked the teams we play so we cant say how we will play against 'bigger' teams. It sounds like the op is not a Jose fan, and trying to pick fault where there is no fault, instead of enjoying whats developing.

Sentient Meat

Jose signed Mkhitaryan, he tried to sign Griezmann and Neymar, he plays Mata all the time... I'm sure he'd take Messi, or Marcelo if they were available.
I'm sure he likes the ability to overpower teams on set pieces, but I truly think he's targeting the best available players.

Infra-red

Yet to buy any big areial monsters for the back 4 though, strangely, which potentially leaves us a little vulnerable to high balls into the box.

We also don't really have a reliable set piece taker/crosser to make use of our height in attacking areas.

We're a big side in terms of average height, but I'm not sure it offers us much of an advantage over opponents at the moment.

Mike09

Perfect to counter the bus. When against a team who park the bus you will be forced to play slower tempo and rely on set pieces.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Yet to buy any big areial monsters for the back 4 though, strangely, which potentially leaves us a little vulnerable to high balls into the box.

We also don't really have a reliable set piece taker/crosser to make use of our height in attacking areas.

We're a big side in terms of average height, but I'm not sure it offers us much of an advantage over opponents at the moment.
All of our CBs are easily over 6 foot

Moby

Dick
So how do we set up v City
Play both Rash and Martial, inject pace and dribbling against their defenders who struggle against that, especially Otamendi. Salah gave him a right roasting before the red card.

Matic needs to be 10/10 and not let the likes of Silva and De Bruyne exploit the spaces between the lines.

AdNani

It's not a problem as long as they're capable footballers as well, which they are, no one can say that all that Matic, Pogba, Bailly, Zlatan, Lukaku and Lindelof offer is just height, and that's all the players Mourinho has signed over 6 foot.

AshRK

He should have gone with 3-5-2. Playing young as a right winger was a disgrace

Stactix

Appalling performance..
On the plus side, only 11 more games in the league to suffer the exact same tactics.

I think a league 2 side would of caused their defence more problems than Utd today.
A side that has struggled to score recently yet has conceded willynilly.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think most of us will get tired of the way he approaches games like today after a while.

kps88

Everyone's forgotten what we were like at Anfield under SAF.

OneUnited24

Today we missed Bailey, Fellaini and Pogba. Without Bailey he had to pick Young, without Fellaini/Pogba we had to play a 2 midfield with Matic&Herrera.

Had we had a bit more quality at the back and in the middle of the park it would have been bad (Jose would never let the horses run freely in a game like this) but not as bad as we saw

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Cowardly approach today.
It was absolutely pathetic.

At least we now know how he’ll set up against City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs away. :(

Today would have been the perfect opportunity to really have a go at Liverpool. They were missing a key player and they’ve looked as fragile as feck at the back in every game leading up to this.

ZAGREB RED

That was dire today from the "attacking" point of view. Non existent. United will need to play a lot better than that to get points from the City, Spurs and Chelsea games.

Treble

Poor performance, hardly surprising though.

Jose is a fantastic manager for big clubs but not for the biggest clubs. A truly big team cannot afford to play like this.

Reynoldo

"You can win titles, but you'll never get to see a dominating display against a top team again"?

No thanks.
I'll take the first title under Jose at ANY cost. After that we can worry about the performances.

Hoof the ball

Whenever United get a result playing poorly, individually and collectively, yet win, it will always please those who are prone to confirmation bias.

Some points, though.

- We had one clear chance, so did they. I'd argue that their chance was more of a certain goal-scoring one though.
- They had a number of half-chances. We didn't. It wasn't the shut out being purported here. Just a lack of final third composure on their end. Any one of a number of half chances could have resulted in a goal. A shut out is when you limit even the half chances.
- Although set to defend deep and compressed we still seemed to have large gaps between the lines
- Lukaku doesn't run channels enough. When Rasford/Martial, etc, drop to defend Lukaku needs to be running more to make up for width lost. Clearing it centrally where the play is already packed only leads to frustrated losses of the ball.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't play like this against all the big teams, that's giving away too many points. City, Chelsea should be the games we keep it tight. Against this Liverpool...ridiculous.
I would have to agree with this. City are looking really good so far and they've beaten the two big teams they faced with ease. I wouldn't mind this set-up against City away, but we should be doing more against Liverpool.

We won't know until the end of the season though, this approach could work out. Too soon to call

Camilo

I'll take the first title under Jose at ANY cost. After that we can worry about the performances.
Why worry at all? Just play balls-out football with the players that only a team of our size can attract. We will win titles, but in the meantime I'd rather not watch spineless, boring football.

prtk0811

Is Jose mourinho going to bench Mata in every big game where we need to control the ball and circulate it better.?

And keep trusting mkh who's absolutely dross ?

RedCurry

These are the types of performances which make me not want to fully get behind him as a manager.