Journalist Grant Wahl has passed away in Qatar

Karmapolice

Yup. Also we know the preferred way to murder journalists for these middle east dictators is to call them into the embassy and chop them up. So most likely not an assassination.
which is vastly different from the western way of bullet in head!!

Karmapolice

Yes, he was poisoned. I don’t have proofs but neither doubts.

CIA agents killed much more people with their military interventions in Central America and Chile and for worst reasons and no Murican’ ever dropped a tear for them. But anyways, Glod Bless America!
they have killed countless arabic journalists and kidnapped others and put them in guantanamo! but they'll shout "whataboutism" to deal with their cognitive dissonance because for some f#cked up reason westerners feel like they're entitled to be morally superior

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Overworking perhaps? Covering so many matches? Him being ill and probably the heat doesnt help.

Our last 2019 general elections cost a 894 death due to overexhaustion of having to meet the dealine.
In one month I believe.
That's why I wasn't surprised by migrant workers death toll in Qatar.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
You’d be a shite juror
You’re right bro.

A dead American journalist, very bad!

Financing civil conflicts, coup d’etats, military juntas, supporting dictators like Pinochet in Chile or deposing them for not paying tax like Noriega in Panama (and killing many), arming Contras in Salvador and using Cuba for years as a garbage lot… just to name a few… that’s OK!

Hey, I don’t have anything against the USA, but to think their government is to be trusted…:lol:

phelans shorts

You’re right bro.

Financing civil conflicts, coup d’etats, military juntas, supporting dictators like Pinochet in Chile or deposing them for not paying tax like Noriega in Panama (and killing many), arming Contras in Salvador and using Cuba for years as a garbage lot… just to name a few… that’s OK!

Hey, I don’t have anything against the USA, but to think their government is to be trusted…:lol:
You’re rambling on a subject that only you are talking about.

You declared a not particularly suspicious death as a murder, with zero evidence, and have now gone on a tirade about the US for some reason?

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
You’re rambling on a subject that only you are talking about.

You declared a not particularly suspicious death as a murder, with zero evidence, and have now gone on a tirade about the US for some reason?
Im not rambling, I’m laughing at the irony. Sorry that upsets you.

About your second paragraph, “I don’t have proofs but neither doubts” meant to be ironic also. Which means: “I don’t think he was murdered but bcs he is Murican’ we will think it was”

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
they have killed countless arabic journalists and kidnapped others and put them in guantanamo! but they'll shout "whataboutism" to deal with their cognitive dissonance because for some f#cked up reason westerners feel like they're entitled to be morally superior
Yeah, let’s start spewing hateful, anti West bile in a thread about an empathetic man who just passed away.

Cmon, FFS, have a word with yourself.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I don't think Qatar officials would be that stupid then again I also won't be surprised if someone did kill him and they're covering it up.

Healthy people can die, my cousin was 21 he used to swim regular, no smoking/drugs and he went to the gym and collapsed. It does happen.

mu4c_20le

Think of it as a world balance. Without the western morality, we'd all be under Sharia law right now. You wouldn't want that, wouild you

phelans shorts

Im not rambling, I’m laughing at the irony. Sorry that upsets you.

About your second paragraph, “I don’t have proofs but neither doubts” meant to be ironic also. Which means: “I don’t think he was murdered but bcs he is Murican’ we will think it was”
Why would I get upset? I can’t stand the US government. feck, I can’t even stand my own government.

I suspect there’s been some confusion with the language barrier though so I’m going to back out, your original post didn’t come across as you intended it to (to me at least) hence the confusion.

hobbers

Why could it only be Qatar officials behind it? It's a country not a building. Also has maybe up to a million fans out there.

If there's nothing untoward there will be no issue with an independent post mortem and with checking through his phone etc. If those things can't happen then it probably signals to something else.

Tarrou

RIP, what a terrible tragedy

but the Qatar authorities are not taking out US journalists, obviously

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
And here I was thinking I was on RedCafe, for a moment I thought I'd gotten Fox News with all these conspiracy theories!

I don't think Qatar officials would be that stupid then again I also won't be surprised if someone did kill him and they're covering it up.
They really wouldn't given the huge American military base there, there's enough firepower there to make the whole country q heap of sand, not just part of it

Last edited:

Tarrou

You’re right bro.

What does this have to do with trusting the US government?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
You’re right bro.

What a strange old ramble. Who cares if you trust the US government.

bludsucker

which is vastly different from the western way of bullet in head!!
Obviously different. As you get the head and the bullet back with the body. Besides they also have the method of invading tye offending persons country claiming hidden WMD’s.

SinNombre

Jesus, some folk are well and truly lost down the conspiracy theorist rabbit hole, aren’t they?

And these same folk are also the very ones who tar others with the ‘stupid’ and ‘crazy’ tag.

Incredible.
Yeah, some folks on this thread. This Qatar WC has brought up a lot of subconscious racism to the forefront.

Vapor trail

Jesus, some folk are well and truly lost down the conspiracy theorist rabbit hole, aren’t they?

And these same folk are also the very ones who tar others with the ‘stupid’ and ‘crazy’ tag.

Incredible.
Very true

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sad news, obviously - he seemed like a decent chap.

As for he conspiracy thing - nah.

If it was his heart, this happens all too often: otherwise healthy person being genetically predisposed, etc.

A co-worker of mine died a few years ago of a heart attack. Early 40s. He wasn't overweight, had no issues with smoking or alcohol, was - in fact - extremely fit compared to yer average person his age...and so forth. But after the fact they discovered a family history - something that he, himself, had never been aware of.

He had never been on the radar, because there just wasn't any reason for it - but...there you go.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Incredible.
Agreed - sometimes people get themselves so wrapped up in an agenda they struggle to separate fact from fiction.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Tbh I would blame his company more, if he’s that ill why wouldn’t you send someone else out to cover for him ? Working night and day with bronchitis is mental.

As said above it’s actually quite ironic given what he was covering
Grant was an independent journalist after being fired by Sports Illustrated for publicly criticizing the CEO for gutting employee salaries during the pandemic and left Fox because of their whitewashing of the Qatar World Cup.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Grant was an independent journalist after being fired by Sports Illustrated for publicly criticizing the CEO for gutting employee salaries during the pandemic and left Fox because of their whitewashing of the Qatar World Cup.
Just got home and turned the game on. Did Fox cover his death at all today?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Just got home and turned the game on. Did Fox cover his death at all today?
I saw a few seconds this morning when I first switched over to Fox and they were wrapping up a segment on him, dunno what was said or how long the segment lasted by the main analyst was very emotional in his closing words.

ROFLUTION

Well, Qatar will be transparent and helpful about an autopsy if they have clean hands. It’s that simple.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I saw a few seconds this morning when I first switched over to Fox and they were wrapping up a segment on him, dunno what was said or how long the segment lasted by the main analyst was very emotional in his closing words.
Yep. What I heard on XM Radio had Rob Stone almost unable to finish his monologue.
I had no doubt that the crew would be emotional and want to eulogize him, it was more if Fox would let them.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I had no doubt that the crew would be emotional and want to eulogize him, it was more if Fox would let them.
Was listening to TalkSport early this AM & an English journo was discussing how difficult it was to try to concentrate on the match while emergency services were performing CPR on Wahl who was sat a mere thirty feet away. He was quite emotional too.

Abizzz

Healthy people can die, my cousin was 21 he used to swim regular, no smoking/drugs and he went to the gym and collapsed. It does happen.
It does happen all the time. But when it does the remaining family members deserve an explanation (i.e autopsy) they can trust, in my opinion it helps with coming to accept it knowing what actually happened (as in what illnes killed him).

Given how Qatari officials have behaved around the other death recently (part of life, berating the reporter for simply asking about it) I have doubts they take it very serious.

ryansgirl

As my memory goes he wasn’t arrested, merely refused entry. I’m sure if there were any blows it would have been reported at the time.

Those kinds of deaths are very unlikely this long after the fact, most with very obvious symptoms in the hours immediately following the injury (including death, which is significantly more likely to come in the 24 hours after). The symptoms he’s been suffering seemingly for a few days now also don’t match what you’d expect from a traumatic brain injury, much less weeks after the fact.
Thanks for that - I saw report on online when I was hurriedly looking at some news that implied Grant was tenporarily detained so a scuffle was possible if that was the case. I understand his brother saying what he did in his grief, people aren`t thinking too well when a loved one passes especially suddenly.

ryansgirl

Did you seriously think this through prior to posting? Would he have stayed silent had he been manhandled?
When I was quickly looking at some news online there was a new item that implied Grant had been temporarily detained by the authorities - I now know he wasn`t. Blows to the head occur in scuffles in countries all around the world including with authorities. I remember a few years ago seeing one of a man in the UK who fell to the ground and hit his head after a scuffle with police although the police didn`t deliberately shove him down.

Ted Lasso

Really sad news. RIP Grant.

The circus and conspiracy theories around this are an unfortunate distraction from paying tribute and respects to the man and his grieving wife. Real shame that some of that stems from his brother, who seems to have made this about himself in calling foul play when there was plenty to suggest that like many an American , a very likely heart related fatality is tragic but no longer much of a surprise.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's sad but also predicable how so many wanted this to be a result of some sort of foul play.

RIP very unfortunate to see soemone pass away so young.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
According to his podcast, he'd been seen for suspected bronchitis at a hospital earlier this week. Numerous teams have reported respiratory illnesses over the course of the World Cup. Grant was a healthy guy who ran a ton and worked out on a rower regularly (posted about it on IG). Whether his death was a result of foul play or incompetence (something like Legionnaire's Disease from shitty air conditioning), it needs to be determined by an independent investigation led by the FBI and State Department. He embarrassed both Qatar and FIFA in the last decade, and his death warrants serious scrutiny. Grant's wife (a renowned epidemiologist who served in the presidential transition) should have more than enough connections with the Biden Administration to ensure that this is investigated.

On a personal note, I met Grant in 2015 when he visited my university's campus. He was talking about the growth of women's soccer in the US and was incredibly kind and engaging. This is unbelievable.

If it turns out he died of an MI this could be pretty damning. Acute onset of chest pressure/discomfort in a stressed out man in his late 40s would make you want to exclude a cardiac cause. I wonder if he even got an ECG?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's commendable that he posted this. Hopefully they will find some peace, it must be awful to experience the relatively sudden death of a relative while they are supposed to be momentarily away.