Jozy Altidore - worst "striker" in the history of England?

Mezano

Another with brilliant stats in the Eredivisie. Kezman was yet another.
Both Kezman and Alves were one dimensional poachers, useful for teams that create a lot of chances but not suited to the modern prems. Classic examples of poor scouting.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Both Kezman and Alves were one dimensional poachers, useful for teams that create a lot of chances but not suited to the modern prems. Classic examples of poor scouting.
Sounds like our strikers. Nothing without 'service'*.

*service - regular supply of ball, in space, in opponents penalty area.

Flying_Heckfish

Samaras was pretty awful in both his stints I thought.

Don't forget City's other stinkers too - the likes of Jo, Bojinov, Bianchi etc in recent times. Though this was quite a turbulent time for them so some mistakes were inevitable I suppose

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Didn't really play much for us but Dong Fangzhuo was abysmal.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Samaras was pretty awful in both his stints I thought.

Don't forget City's other stinkers too - the likes of Jo, Bojinov, Bianchi etc in recent times. Though this was quite a turbulent time for them so some mistakes were inevitable I suppose
Jo least had a decent first spell at Everton. Who was that other Italian striker City had, Corradi?

Stadjer

Afonso Alves was pretty shite.
I remember him playing for Heerenveen, he just couldnt stop scoring in the Eredivisie. I believe he signed a contract with AZ but decided he wanted to go to England (way more money). He should have gone to AZ though, he wad brilliant in the Eredivisie.

Altidore was a great goalscorer in the Eredivisie too but for the most part because of his strenght. There just arent any strong defender in the Eredivisie so a strong striker with decent heading ability can score 20+ goals. Graziano Pelle was way too strong for Eredivisie defenders too so i expected him to fail at Southampton but he's doing alright so far.

Lay

I remember him playing for Heerenveen, he just couldnt stop scoring in the Eredivisie. I believe he signed a contract with AZ but decided he wanted to go to England (way more money). He should have gone to AZ though, he wad brilliant in the Eredivisie.

Altidore was a great goalscorer in the Eredivisie too but for the most part because of his strenght. There just arent any strong defender in the Eredivisie so a strong striker with decent heading ability can score 20+ goals. Graziano Pelle was way too strong for Eredivisie defenders too so i expected him to fail at Southampton but he's doing alright so far.
Wasn't that Heerenveen side, a side that created countless chances? I remember being good friends with a Twente fan at the time, he was sure Alves would fail because he missed so many chances in the Dutch league, but due to Heereveens style of play, he would easily make up for it.

Patchbeard

Yannick Sagbo goes under the radar because he can't get a game at Hull, but that's a good barometer for how much of a useless lump he is. 2 goals 30 odd games I think.

Stadjer

Wasn't that Heerenveen side, a side that created countless chances? I remember being good friends with a Twente fan at the time, he was sure Alves would fail because he missed so many chances in the Dutch league, but due to Heereveens style of play, he would easily make up for it.
I dont remember Heerenveen creating that many chances. Alves just scored when he got the ball. He had a superb free kick and very powerfull long range shots. He even won the silver boot behind Totti while playing in the Eredivisie. He still holds the record for most goals in a Eredivisie game. (7) A record he took from van Basten and Cruijff.

I had never seen a goalscorer like Alves before but personally i didnt really like him, I am from Groningen (Robben started his carreer here and Groningen discovered Suarez in Uruguay.) and Heerenveen and Groningen are rivals.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It beggars belief that Premiership clubs waste money on strikers who will patently never score in the Premiership.

Happens every transfer window and then they complain when they get relegated or finish in the bottom half.

Redo91

Look up the word sarcasm. It will help you massively in the future :p

Unless you're on a WUM. If so, fair play.
I obviously knew you were being sarcastic by mentioning him in a discussion about the worst strikers to have played in the PL. I was referring to the fact that you mentioned he has 3 goals in 13 appearances which is a stupid stat as it fails to take into account the fact that nearly half of those were substitute appearances.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The utter tragedy was a bunch of analysts here on TV arguing that they would have won the Belgium tie if he played.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Hopefully he is better in MLS than he is in England, for our (TFC) sake.

Lay

I had a look at how he's fared since his time here. Ouch. In his best season he scored 7 in 25 apps in the Chinese 2nd tier.
The team he is playing for now just avoided relegation from the Chinese 2nd tier. That's almost as bad as Kerlon playing in some amatuer Japanese league (5th tier or something) until they released him for being shit.

Winrar

And there's Ali Dia, who only played because he successfully hoodwinked Graeme Souness (?) to think that he was Weah's cousin; resubstituted after 30 minutes in his only appearance I think. Then went straight to non-league and retired.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
The utter tragedy was a bunch of analysts here on TV arguing that they would have won the Belgium tie if he played.
I wish he was able to play that match. As awful as he has been on English soil, he has been a fairly credible performer for our national team. I think he'll have a decent run in MLS but his career is effectively over in terms of relevance.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Sad to think that a few years ago, this man was supposed to take US football to the next level.

AllezLesDiables

He's penniless man's Emile Heskey. Great looking physical specimen which clearly hasn't translated to the PL pitch. Dutch league was his level and my gues is that given high percentage of youth players and the minimal talent showed why he could score in abundance.

Lay

He was the width of a post away from beating England at the 2010 World Cup.

Acole9

Outstanding
Ji Dong-won who played for Sunderland as well you mean?

He scored against City at least :lol:

Ah, you mean Lee-Dong Gook. Haha had to look him up!
That's the one, I'm always surprised when the worst players ever to play in the Premier League lists come out and he's never on them. He was truly awful.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
NO! Not welcome. He'll fit right in with all the other rubbish at least.
What if he does well, eh? I'd rather have him than Bright Dike at the moment. Altidore and Gilberto can be a decent partnership if we play a 4-4-2.

Regardless, I'd rather Altidore is at the bench as a Plan B than as a starter.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I remember going to the U-20 World Cup back in 2007 and seeing Altidore and Freddy Adu (:lol:) absolutely tear Brazil apart. Thought the two of them would go on to have fine careers in Europe after that... not quite unfortunately.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
World Cup winning #9 too.
Yeah, bizarre. Such a great team all around him, such a plank as centre-forward. I know he scored a lot of goals in France but every time I saw him, I was left scratching my head as to how this guy had conned his way to such an exalted position.