Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Another reason why I think the thought of selling Mata is crazy. If and I believe we will qualify for the Champions League, Mata is one of the first players I will be looking to for that competition.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
That same guy in that thread also states that Mata is comfortably better than Silva...

Anyway... Yeah, the only reason to sell him would be for the money, which, frankly, the club shouldn't need. Great impact sub, even if he's not a first team player week in-week out, which I don't think he should be, especially in a 433.

He's just not got 'it' in my opinion, and there's no escaping his limitations (I don't believe signing pace will actually solve anything), but still he has some valuable assets.

His stats. at Chelsea are good, and Chelsea were quite crap. but I still think that's partly why he got the goals and assists he did. You'd think - well if he can manage that at a poor Chelsea, imagine what he'd do at a much better Man City (say 2011-12.) But swap him for Silva and City are quite a bit weaker as a whole unit, in my opinion. That control they have (or had) over games and that ability to keep the ball deep in the opponent's half is reduced significantly.

I guess it comes down to whether you think his added goals would make up for it.

Last edited:

ScarleyUtd

Did anyone think Mata looked a lot fitter and leaner against Spurs? Been put through his paces perhaps?

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Can't complain about that, to be honest. Just needs to force his way back into our first eleven, and he'll be back.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Did anyone think Mata looked a lot fitter and leaner against Spurs? Been put through his paces perhaps?
I think it was the determination to keep his place. He knew he'd have to give everything, in terms of both attack and defense, to keep his place in the side for today's game.

Hit It

That same guy in that thread also states that Mata is comfortably better than Silva...

Anyway... Yeah, the only reason to sell him would be for the money, which, frankly, the club shouldn't need. Great impact sub, even if he's not a first team player week in-week out, which I don't think he should be, especially in a 433.

He's just not got 'it' in my opinion, and there's no escaping his limitations (I don't believe signing pace will actually solve anything), but still he has some valuable assets.

His stats. at Chelsea are good, and Chelsea were quite crap. but I still think that's partly why he got the goals and assists he did. You'd think - well if he can manage that at a poor Chelsea, imagine what he'd do at a much better Man City (say 2011-12.) But swap him for Silva and City are quite a bit weaker as a whole unit, in my opinion. That control they have (or had) over games and that ability to keep the ball deep in the opponent's half is reduced significantly.

I guess it comes down to whether you think his added goals would make up for it.
For Mata, its keeping the ball that's his main problem. I also think other teams know to put pressure on him and he he will either loose the ball or pass it to the player that's most nearest to him which effectively stops him from influencing the game. He needs to be in the vicinity where he has players around him so he can bounce of them which isn't always the case in the way we play.

I think the forward players can make more use of Fellani upfront with the space that is freed up, if your in close quarters of him, 95% of the time in that situation where defenders are tugging at him, he will try to get the ball to who he can see visibly and that's where people like Mata, Januzaj can exploit making those inside runs into the box. I know it sounds like an old fashion tactic but with the intensity that teams play at today, then you need to be looking for the space that become available, especially in the final third.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I'm not sure it was wise to start him. Hope to be proved wrong, but I've had a thing about Mata playing away games, he usually seems to play to about half the level he can.

Hope he proves me wrong and scores.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Chuffed to bits for him and it's great man management by Van Gaal after that long length on the side lines. He put in the performance against Spurs and he's putting faith in him for arguably the biggest game of the season.

Not only is that a big message to Juan but a big message to the rest of the squad.

kps88

Not expecting anything big. Just keep it tidy and help us keep possession and he'd have done his job.

Devil may care

Surprising selection, it makes Herrera and Valencia's game more difficult, they'll have to be very disciplined.

saivet

Surprising selection, it makes Herrera and Valencia's game more difficult, they'll have to be very disciplined.
Defensively he did fine against Rose (who is quick like Moreno) and their other winger. While di Maria is obviously quicker, he seems lazier defensively.

Devil may care

Defensively he did fine against Rose (who is quick like Moreno) and their other winger. While di Maria is obviously quicker, he seems lazier defensively.
We dominated possession in that game and if we'd played Di Maria Moreno would be less inclined to push on and leave space in behind, now he'll feel free to bomb forward and link with Coutinho or Sterling.

saivet

We dominated possession in that game and if we'd played Di Maria Moreno would be less inclined to push on and leave space in behind, now he'll feel free to bomb forward and link with Coutinho or Sterling.
Potentially. Fingers crossed it won't be an issue

DevilRed

Who says he can't play on the wing? Been absolutely amazing this match. I was in the camp of starting ADM ahead of him.

How wrong I was. He and Herrera seem to have telepathic abilities the way they combine.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm in love and this time...it's the real thing.

What a beautiful, sexy and fantastic man.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Our team needs to be based around him.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Can't wait for his post-Liverpool blog now.

Hugs. :D

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Brilliant for him to get the two goals today, really hitting some form now. Hopefully he can sustain it.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Best 2 performances in recent times coincide with him and Herrera both on the field. They play so well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.