6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but doesn't anyone else think van Gaal is doing 'a Herrera' on him? Previously known as 'a Sneijder' for Dutch people.

Before the worldcup, van Gaal said in an interview he was going to CHEER! (he yelled) at the line if Sneijder would capture a ball, and even left him out of the selection a couple of times. At the worldcup Sneijder defended more than ever and ran more kilometers than he's ever done - at age 30! He followed special training in his own time to become stronger, fitter and started to defend much more.

Herrera was also very attack minded and got left out for a while, he's more naturally gifted when it comes to defending but he was in the wrong places. He learned him some defensive ways to play as 8.

In the last matches on the wing (where defending is less important than in midfield) we saw Mata tracking back, making tackles and winning the ball. Van Gaal said he left him out for the balance of the team, this would be the defensive balance. He will never be great at defending, but in our possesion style putting pressure on the opponent is just as important - Mata could easily do this. I think we will see Mata defending more and more as the matches go by.

I have a hunch feeling, that since we're getting a new CM (who will probably be good defensive wise - quote me on this), Mata could even play in midfield next season. He's great on the wing too and van Gaal loves multifunctional players, this way he doesn't need as big of a squad either (which he likes).

He was already doing the defensive work when he was being picked in CM earlier in the season. Its just that when he was playing there, he had minimal effect in creating or scoring.

Now he's on the right he's creating and scoring at a good rate, but he's still defending his fair share

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I would have thought Oscar would have more passes to be honest. Before Chelsea everyone hyped him up to be a proper playmaker who could run the game.

MDFC Manager

Of course mata is better going forward. That is obvious. But I'd like to see the stats for distance covered and defensive contribution as well.
I don't know about a direct comparison, but Mata is very often in the top 3 distance covered in our games.

It's a strange one. If Mata is to be believed, him and Mourinho had no relationship right from the start. He didn't get a chance to turn it right

Shark

@NotShark
Fair enough! Suffice it to say, I think we'll all lose it if he scores a decisive goal against Chelsea.
Indeed, it'd be wonderful. Another performance like the one we seen at Anfield would be immense.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Mata was bought by AvB and made the main man by Benitez, two manages Mourinho has fallen out with, whereas Oscar was a club signing. That probably also played a part in Mourinho's decision to make a point.

Anyway good that he felt the need to make a point, otherwise we would have never bought Mata.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
To be fair to Mourinho, the theory was that he didn't feel Mata did enough without the ball. Would need to compare their defensive stats to see how that panned out.
On Talksport this morning it was rumoured that he was going to get rid of Oscar for exactly the same reason he got rid of Mata.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
From that article;
'Mata is one of seven players to run over 30 kilometres in United’s last three games. However, having been withdrawn late on in the 4-2 win over Man City, he’s actually covered more ground per minute than the other six. More than the hard-running Ander Herrera. More than the fleet-footed Antonio Valencia.'

Not too shabby.

Shark

@NotShark
The only attacking midfielder I'd have over him in the league right now is Hazard. Other than that, he's a cut above in current form.

saivet

On Talksport this morning it was rumoured that he was going to get rid of Oscar for exactly the same reason he got rid of Mata.
For the same reasons? Whenever I have seen Oscar for Chelsea he has worked tirelessly but produced nothing else. I certainly wouldn't be shocked if Mourinho got rid of Oscar to bring in another CM though.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
From that article;
'Mata is one of seven players to run over 30 kilometres in United’s last three games. However, having been withdrawn late on in the 4-2 win over Man City, he’s actually covered more ground per minute than the other six. More than the hard-running Ander Herrera. More than the fleet-footed Antonio Valencia.'

Not too shabby.
He's been playing 360° football. Moving in all directions up and down the pitch. Incredible stuff.

Rob Bowman

The only attacking midfielder I'd have over him in the league right now is Hazard. Other than that, he's a cut above in current form.
Exactly... Hazrd is awesome, but after him... right now... Carzorla or Sanchez would not be terrible picks... and other than that it is Mata for me. But back to the original Chelsea quandary... if you had to pick between Oscar or Mata, who would you pick?

From that article;

Not too shabby.
And this.

Seriously the article from a few pages back shows convincingly that Mata does work at both ends of the pitch...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/mar/23/juan-mata-manchester-united-louis-van-gaal

Here is perhaps the most relavent part quoted...

Perhaps it is simply time the wheel turned once again for Mata. Certainly during the past three months it has been possible to question the Mourinho-ish vogue for insisting the one quality attacking midfielders must have above all others is defensive discipline. For one thing Mata’s defensive frailties are perhaps overplayed. He will never be a tackler but under Van Gaal he has made more interceptions per game than Cesc Fàbregas, Oscar, David Silva and Mesut Özil. Willian has made marginally more tackles (by 0.2 per game) and been dribbled past 0.3 times fewer. Against that, Mata’s passing accuracy is better and despite playing less than Willian he has been directly involved in twice as many goals. At which point you start to wonder exactly which of these two attacking midfielders is failing to do some vital part of his job.
Seriously goals in big games... most distance covered.... assists all the time...

All I can say is... HUGS :devil::devil::devil::devil:!!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If I recall, Joe-Say's excuse for selling him was that Mata didn't track back as Oscar does. Not sure how valid that is, but the stats clearly don't back up the idea that the transfer was good for Chelsea.

HabeasC

His form now reminds me of why I was so excited the day I saw that helicopter land at Carrington. On his day, truly world class.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If I recall, Joe-Say's excuse for selling him was that Mata didn't track back as Oscar does. Not sure how valid that is, but the stats clearly don't back up the idea that the transfer was good for Chelsea.
It was awful for them IMO. More of a knee jerk decision then anything, though they got a fair price. Ignoring the price though, Mourinho would have been far better off if he stuck with Mata and got him to work in his system, instead of going with Oscar who is half the player for me...
They might've won the title last season even, with his extra ability on the ball, creativity and the goals he brings which could have been key in those smaller games where they dropped points in constantly. Same with De Bruyne actually. People kept going on about how they got so much money for De Bruyne and Mata (and a few others), but are they actually better off without these players? Not at all IMO.

Rob Bowman

tombombadil

Exactly... Hazrd is awesome, but after him... right now... Carzorla or Sanchez would not be terrible picks... and other than that it is Mata for me. But back to the original Chelsea quandary... if you had to pick between Oscar or Mata, who would you pick?

And this.

Seriously the article from a few pages back shows convincingly that Mata does work at both ends of the pitch...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/mar/23/juan-mata-manchester-united-louis-van-gaal

Here is perhaps the most relavent part quoted...

Seriously goals in big games... most distance covered.... assists all the time...

All I can say is... HUGS :devil::devil::devil::devil:!!
Wow. I never imagined Mata as a defensive juggernaut. :D Really good to see he is performing defensively. Does anyone have any defensive stats of Mata now vs Mata under Mourinho/Chelsea?

Would be great comparison to see if Mourinho's criticism of Mata is justified. Could it be man management issues or could there be more to this than just stats?

Gasolin

Wow. I never imagined Mata as a defensive juggernaut. :D Really good to see he is performing defensively. Does anyone have any defensive stats of Mata now vs Mata under Mourinho/Chelsea?

Would be great comparison to see if Mourinho's criticism of Mata is justified. Could it be man management issues or could there be more to this than just stats?
There is always more than stats... these are just facts to consider but depending of the angle, it could mean anything and the contrary. Mata is an excellent player for United right now, he also seems to understand better what to do without the ball in the attacking and defensive phases as well, which is important.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Interesting about Van Gaal's admission that he fields players if they are returning to their old club. I've always thought it's a great motivational technique. Mata plays :D

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think Mata changed as a player and used his previous experience at Chelsea and how he was benched by Mourinho to improve himself and regain a starting position at Utd.

RedRevongge

I get where you are coming from but purely "running around a lot" doesn't make someone good defensively. I would still say Mata is relatively weak defensively however he is without doubt exceptional going forward which is exactly what we need from him.

Not suggesting he is terrible defensively just maybe not what Jose would look for in his team. I agree it was stupid for Chelsea to let him go though

prarek

He's been OK. Obviously has license to come inside and even to the left. Passing has been spot on. Set pieces haven't been great.

Devil may care

He definitely missed the link-up play with Herrera as that is vital to him getting into space and affecting the game, in that type of game we really needed a wide attacker that could run at a defense.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Maybe the occasion got to him today. Was a bit quiet.

And I've resigned myself to the idea that he's more of a goalscoring AM. Any creativity he might have had at Chelsea has been all but snuffed out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.