Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If we get a proper DM we might even see Mata played centrally. With someone similar to Matic we could allow more freedom for our attackers.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
really happy for mata that he was able to turn his season around... no coincidence it happened right when we started winning, too.

JUPITER

He's scored 10 goals in 26 starts... that's a pretty impressive return for a "wide-man"
He's brilliant.

Quietly consistent, highly skilled and hugely likable.

His tackles/possession regained stats are awesome for a creative player, and his goal and assist stats are always of an elite level.

A ruthless finisher who's proven himself this season to be a stealthy winger - appearing at crucial moments to affect games.

Mata, Fellaini and Young have been the most important outfield players in dragging us over the line this season (particularly since Carrick's been out).

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He's brilliant.

Quietly consistent, highly skilled and hugely likable.

His tackles/possession regained stats are awesome for a creative player, and his goal and assist stats are always of an elite level.

A ruthless finisher who's proven himself this season to be a stealthy winger - appearing at crucial moments to affect games.

Mata, Fellaini and Young have been the most important outfield players in dragging us over the line this season (particularly since Carrick's been out).
His goals for us, he doesntt have more than 10 league assists in more than a year for us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Did anyone else notice him playing as a number 10 for about 10-15 minutes in the lead up to our second goal?

Dunno if it was just him drifting central or a more formal tactical reshuffle but it worked quite well.
Yeah, definitely started having more of an influence. He's tended to drift around the pitch a lot while starting out wide the last few months anyways, acts like a 4th central midfielder at times (which helps, considering 2 of them went missing on the weekend).

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
His goals for us, he doesntt have more than 10 league assists in more than a year for us.
If the strikers could shoot this season, that stat might change. Never judge a player on the amount of assists as it depends on something out of their control.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Considering the fact that he wasn't played much when Rooney was scoring earlier in the season and that the rest of our strikers are playing like they would have problems scoring against an under 10s team, Mata not having 10 league assists this season is normal.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
His goal scoring ability is phenomenal, he even has a Euro final goal and a world cup goal despite coming on as a (very late) sub. I am actually baffled when he is in a half decent position for us and doesn't score whereas with our underperforming strikers nothing baffles me anymore.

He does not have Silva's playmaking ability but he has lots of other attributes. He keeps the ball very well, is adaptable, big game player, doesn't moan when getting dropped, great passer, oh and he wins a lot of fouls (which will only increase in Europe as refs in the CL are going to whistle more).
Oh and did I already mention that apart from a couple of games he seems to be the only player who hasn't caught the United virus of being regularly injured either.

Sammyjunn

Considering the fact that he wasn't played much when Rooney was scoring earlier in the season and that the rest of our strikers are playing like they would have problems scoring against an under 10s team, Mata not having 10 league assists this season is normal.
@Eric'sCollar well di Maria has like 10 in this season, and he's been very poor. Fact is, Mata doesnt create that much for us and is more of a finisher for us, he has brilliant movement and positioning in the final third, that's his biggest asset.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
@Eric'sCollar well di Maria has like 10 in this season, and he's been very poor. Fact is, Mata doesnt create that much for us and is more of a finisher for us, he has brilliant movement and positioning in the final third, that's his biggest asset.
Our strikers were very clinical at the start of the season.

Ash_G

But do you think he's not creating as much because of him as a player or how we're using him/setting up. I personally don't think that if you did a direct swap and took Mata out and replaced him with a silva, ozil, iniesta etc that you would see a huge amount of difference in terms of creativity. Each of them is better than Mata at getting past someone but they'd still all struggle to create in a team that has very limited movement/slow on the ball.

I mean it's not like we're seeing Fellaini, Rooney, Young make runs and Mata not find them and that's not counting the fact that most the time because of where he is positionally the type of pass he and players like him would want to play isn't on, it's down to a long pass/cross, most the time when the opposition have already packed their box with players making the success of the pass down to a mistake/how much the players wants it than a top quality ball. Then there's very little option to play a give and go with the front four as the players around him aren't hugely suited to it.

A player like Di Maria with his pace will do better in such a set up and make the numbers as he has done, although he's also given the ball away a lot and frustrated. That said if we were planning to stick with Fellaini where he is then I'd probably agree that over a season we'd probably have more luck with someone like ADM in the team however as influential as Fellaini has been I can't believe he's going to stay in the number 10 role going forward. I see him more as a Park player in terms of coming in for big games because he can make a difference.

Personally I think Mata has shown enough that we need to play to his strengths more and that if we get players like ADM when he's back on form (if he stays) then he can make stuff happen, even if he's not playing a cutting the ball/getting the final assist just his use of the ball in tight areas, retaining possession in the final third etc all help to keep the momentum of the attach going. I think Mata flanked by ADM and Depay/Januzaj has a huge amount going for it with the right midfield behind it.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Creativity in regards to assists is a shit way at looking at things in my opinion. Look at our goal against Newcastle, where Falcao cuts it back for Rooney to tap in. Falcao gets credited with the assist and rightly so but it's a great ball by Mata over the top to Falcao. In so many cases, it's the 2nd last ball, not the final ball that 'creates' the goal.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If you want to go down the full stats route - Juan Mata has our second highest pass completion rate for anyone who's started more than 5 games for us this season (sort of unsurprisingly, Valencia is top - considering how safe he plays plays it and he's a very accurate 5/10 yard passer) and he's joint 2nd for key passes per 90 minutes with Rooney (again, unsurprisingly ADM is top)...

But really, the fact is that the bloke scores a goal for every 2.5 starts... which for a winger, is a great return. Who needs "creativity" when you're actually providing... you know... goals.

Ash_G

Creativity in regards to assists is a shit way at looking at things in my opinion. Look at our goal against Newcastle, where Falcao cuts it back for Rooney to tap in. Falcao gets credited with the assist and rightly so but it's a great ball by Mata over the top to Falcao. In so many cases, it's the 2nd last ball, not the final ball that 'creates' the goal.
Yeah definitely- Scholes is a prime example of that particularly in the latter part of his career and similarly Carrick, they might not often play the final pass but they're the one's who got us in position in the first place.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I've changed my mind during the last few months when he played on the right and I think he can be very effective if we get a good attacking rightback. Herrera is nailed on as a right midfielder too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
. Who needs "creativity" when you're actually providing... you know... goals.
Because nobody else is providing the 'creativity'. Ander alone isn't enough, and Di Maria is always benched. For all the wankfest about how improved Young and Fellaini are they're still nowhere near a level to continuously create chances in matches. The latter especially, it just won't be a part of his game.

Sammyjunn

But do you think he's not creating as much because of him as a player or how we're using him/setting up. I personally don't think that if you did a direct swap and took Mata out and replaced him with a silva, ozil, iniesta etc that you would see a huge amount of difference in terms of creativity. Each of them is better than Mata at getting past someone but they'd still all struggle to create in a team that has very limited movement/slow on the ball.

I mean it's not like we're seeing Fellaini, Rooney, Young make runs and Mata not find them and that's not counting the fact that most the time because of where he is positionally the type of pass he and players like him would want to play isn't on, it's down to a long pass/cross, most the time when the opposition have already packed their box with players making the success of the pass down to a mistake/how much the players wants it than a top quality ball. Then there's very little option to play a give and go with the front four as the players around him aren't hugely suited to it.

A player like Di Maria with his pace will do better in such a set up and make the numbers as he has done, although he's also given the ball away a lot and frustrated. That said if we were planning to stick with Fellaini where he is then I'd probably agree that over a season we'd probably have more luck with someone like ADM in the team however as influential as Fellaini has been I can't believe he's going to stay in the number 10 role going forward. I see him more as a Park player in terms of coming in for big games because he can make a difference.

Personally I think Mata has shown enough that we need to play to his strengths more and that if we get players like ADM when he's back on form (if he stays) then he can make stuff happen, even if he's not playing a cutting the ball/getting the final assist just his use of the ball in tight areas, retaining possession in the final third etc all help to keep the momentum of the attach going. I think Mata flanked by ADM and Depay/Januzaj has a huge amount going for it with the right midfield behind it.
I think it's a combination of both, in the final third he's one of the best, but I hardly see him splitting defensec with a beautiful cross or through ball whixh sets a striker 1 vs 1, his lack of making something happen out of his own, his speed, dribbling skills, physique hold him back to as he can barely pass defensers. If you swap Mata for the Hazard, Silva, Ozil their respective clubs would go backwords in terms of creating chances imo.

Sammyjunn

Wouldt call it shit, it isnt definite thats true. But also in terms of key passes and chances created, Mata is a far distance off from Silva, Hazard, Ozil, de Bruyne.

finneh

He's been our best attacking player this season by quite a distance in my opinion. He should be one of the 5-6 players we build around next season.

Ash_G

Wouldt call it shit, it isnt definite thats true. But also in terms of key passes and chances created, Mata is a far distance off from Silva, Hazard, Ozil, de Bruyne.
But those players are playing in teams set up for them. Our team couldn't really be further away from how those players want to play in the final third. Our central strikers and Fellaini aren't particularly mobile and often play with their back to goal and Young isn't the sort who's going to run in often from his flank. If ADM/Januzaj were playing and in form and linking with Mata then I think his numbers for key passes etc would be higher but you can't make the passes if they're not there unless your're a ADM who's got the pace to make his own openings and crossing the ball not looking to play people in.

As I said I agree that Mata doens't have the speed/dribbling as some players of his ilk but the far bigger issue for me is the type of players in our attack.

Man Utd 1:1 Arsenal

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Mata has had an excellent season, IMO.

He had a slight dodgy patch at an important part of the season which has led to him not getting the credit that he deserves. Overall he has been brilliant.

Jev

Mata has had an excellent season, IMO.

He had a slight dodgy patch at an important part of the season which has led to him not getting the credit that he deserves. Overall he has been brilliant.
Certainly a good season, pretty consistent. He's having a good game again today.

DWelbz19

Impressive half today. If only he was a bit quicker, though.

DevilRed

Him and Herrera just running the game right now. Can't even get near those two when they get the "passing carousel" going.

Varun

Staff
Him and Herrera are just superb. Get a proper intelligent RB next to them and it'd be superb.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Him and Herrera just running the game right now. Can't even get near those two when they get the "passing carousel" going.
Hilarious over exaggeration. This Herrera-Mata combination is largely myth.

Almost everything has come down our left as has been the case in most of our games this season.

Varun

Staff

Almost everything has come down our left as has been the case in most of our games this season.
Biggest difference between the 2 sides is Young. After all the interplay between young, blind/LB and Fellaini, it's young that puts the ball in. On the right, both Herrera and mata are more involved in the interplay than putting the ball in and unfortunately Valencia isn't upto it. The right side will be superb with a proper RB.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Biggest difference between the 2 sides is Young. After all the interplay between young, blind/LB and Fellaini, it's young that puts the ball in. On the right, both Herrera and mata are more involved in the interplay than putting the ball in and unfortunately Valencia isn't upto it. The right side will be superb with a proper RB.
Not really. Rojo has been non existent today and Young has still looked superb. Blaming Valencia is cheap way out given his movement in and around is still excellent even if his final ball is shit.

Young-Fellaini on the left have been far far more effective and productive than Mata-Herrera.

Varun

Staff
Not really. Rojo has been non existent today and Young has still looked superb. Blaming Valencia is cheap way out given his movement in and around is still excellent even if his final ball is shit.

Young-Fellaini on the left have been far far more effective and productive than Mata-Herrera.
I'm saying the difference between the 2 sides is a player willing to put the final ball in, that's young. Both the spaniards are more about the interplay than the final ball. Hence the better productivity from the left.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

How many times did Mata and Herrera outnumber their players with quick passing and played the ball left to Young leaving him with lot of space? Probably at least 4 or 5 times in just one half.

How many times did that happen from left side to right? None.

Now, I am not saying that Young should do that too, but our good play and winning the space on the right side definitely helps our left side and it's really not difficult to notice it. But then you hardly ever notice anything good about Mata.

DWelbz19

Fizzled out of the game after a very impressive first half.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Love Juan. Hope he improves again next season. And hopefully we get the right players in that can allow him to play the way he can.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
How many times did Mata and Herrera outnumber their players with quick passing and played the ball left to Young leaving him with lot of space? Probably at least 4 or 5 times in just one half.
Probably although a lot of the 'quick passing' is run of the mill exchange of passes and is not even all that quick. And if the sum total of their quick passing is putting Young into space then it's not doing anything that a long diagonal into Young wouldn't. In fact the latter would be better as it often takes the opposing winger out of contention.

How many times did that happen from left side to right? None.
That's because doing that is pointless as Mata has no pace and is not going to beat his man. And Mata drifts in a lot more meaning often a pass out wide in not an option. This has nothing to do with either Fellaini or Young. I'm sure they are more than good enough to make a 10 yard to pass to the right should they so desire.

But then you hardly ever notice anything good about Mata.
A lot of the Herrera-Mata-Valencia triangle is exaggerated and is mostly Herrera dictating things with his movement and passing. He did that very well even with Rafael at the start of the season. It was quite obvious how much impact Herrera has when he wasn't playing there for a couple of games.

As for the comment above. I like Mata but I'm sorry he does not create anywhere near enough chances as he should. Seems to get a free pass for it though from many...Young gets ripped to shreds for not creating enough and Mata gets praised for playing 1-2's near the middle of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.