6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz4231

The performance of the team dipped because Mata couldn't influence the game from a central position, that's why in the first half we were most creative. In the second half Herrera sat deeper, Mata stayed wide and Fellaini moved to #10, we lost creativity. Mata should play as #10 its a no brainer even if it means dropping Fellaini. We are far more creative with him there and that link up he has with Herrera will be more effective. He linked wide players, Midfielders and the striker when he cut in a played more centrally, why can't we just play him there, Fellaini even with his strengths at best is no match to Matas creativity and ball retention.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As for the comment above. I like Mata but I'm sorry he does not create anywhere near enough chances as he should. Seems to get a free pass for it though from many...Young gets ripped to shreds for not creating enough and Mata gets praised for playing 1-2's near the middle of the park.
Because for all his "creativity", Young has one assist more than Mata this season. And Mata actually averages 1.5 key passes per game to Young's 1.3. And Young is considered as our most creative player this season by many, especialy in comparision with Mata. They are both lacking creativity, but Mata is involved in midfield dominating the game(see first half today) while Young should be the bloke who is getting praise for his end product and creativity like any other good winger at top club. Which he isn't doing.
Mata also has 9 goals versus Young's 2(on par with someone like Blind).

If we are going to look dangerous in whole game then I would pick Young, but if we are going to win the game then I would definitely pick Mata.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
I hope we sell him, He is not being used to the best of his abilities at all.

He used to play through balls all the time at Chelsea and have a lot of assists, but now he isn't very creative at all.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We're not going to sell him. He's played a lot this season and LVG has said he's one of our best players, something that should be evident to anyone who has watched us this season.

Given that LVG said he was left out of the team due to balance (and Fellaini was introduced for the same reason) I suspect we're likely to see the team change into something that ends up suiting Mata more rather than Mata being sold because he doesn't suit the team as is.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Because for all his "creativity", Young has one assist more than Mata this season. And Mata actually averages 1.5 key passes per game to Young's 1.3. And Young is considered as our most creative player this season by many, especialy in comparision with Mata. They are both lacking creativity, but Mata is involved in midfield dominating the game(see first half today) while Young should be the bloke who is getting praise for his end product and creativity like any other good winger at top club. Which he isn't doing.
Mata also has 9 goals versus Young's 2(on par with someone like Blind).

If we are going to look dangerous in whole game then I would pick Young, but if we are going to win the game then I would definitely pick Mata.
He's certainly more clinical than Young, no arguments from me but imo he doesn't make things happen. He's far too content to play sideways and backwards when he should be more proactive with the ball like Young is. Yes, Young's final ball can improve but a lot of the he creates space and chances purely by running with the ball and dragging player out of position.

Key passes don't mean much and not reflective of creativity. I mean Mata got a key pass for Young having a shot from miles out today. There's also the fact that Young's played a more defensive role for many games this season.

I don't think Mata was bad (he very rarely is). But I'd like to see him being (or at least try to) more decisive and proactive with the ball than what he's been.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
I am delighted he is part of our team. Off the pitch and on the pitch. Hope to see him in the starting line up next season aswell. He should shoot more, he can certainly hit them.

rotherham_red

I hope we sell him, He is not being used to the best of his abilities at all.

He used to play through balls all the time at Chelsea and have a lot of assists, but now he isn't very creative at all.
That has more to do with the lack of movement of the strikers and supporting midfielders than Mata. We bring in a striker with movement and pace and you will see those incisive throughballs from Mata next season IMO.

Trizy

Not really. Rojo has been non existent today and Young has still looked superb. Blaming Valencia is cheap way out given his movement in and around is still excellent even if his final ball is shit.

Young-Fellaini on the left have been far far more effective and productive than Mata-Herrera.
Incorrect. Valencia seems afraid to cross the ball and when he does it never reaches a target, that's the difference between the left and right.

Sylar

In the second half, he had a one two with Herrera, was on the edge of the box. He didnt shoot, then I realised he probably would have got in trouble with LVG for shooting :lol:

I like him, hope he stays. The way we use him on the right side with herrera is beautiful.

izec

In the second half, he had a one two with Herrera, was on the edge of the box. He didnt shoot, then I realised he probably would have got in trouble with LVG for shooting :lol:

I like him, hope he stays. The way we use him on the right side with herrera is beautiful.
Thats just not true. Blind and Herrera shoot very often when they are near the box, like today. Mata surely would have more freedom if we go by some posts in the philosophy thread.

Sylar

Thats just not true. Blind and Herrera shoot very often when they are near the box, like today. Mata surely would have more freedom if we go by some posts in the philosophy thread.
I know, the smiley was meant to indicate it was tongue in cheek. ;)

Ballache

Supports
Martial
We're not going to sell him. He's played a lot this season and LVG has said he's one of our best players, something that should be evident to anyone who has watched us this season.

Given that LVG said he was left out of the team due to balance (and Fellaini was introduced for the same reason) I suspect we're likely to see the team change into something that ends up suiting Mata more rather than Mata being sold because he doesn't suit the team as is.
You'd think so, but try reading some of the shit on this place after a bad game.

izec

I know, the smiley was meant to indicate it was tongue in cheek. ;)
:lol: He should definately shoot more often, i was disappointed when he passed it out wide again. It was a perfect position and he has it in him to score from there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This place is amazing. It's the right back's fault that our left winger produced more then the right winger. In a game where our left back was probably the worst player in a United shirt and offered precisely zero going forwards. Flawless logic.

Mata played quite well but lacked cutting edge. Which has been a problem in recent weeks. All our penetration has come from Young taking on and beating his man, one on one. We lack that on the opposite flank and it makes us a bit one dimensional. A better striker might help, mind you.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Thought he played well considering the way the game played out around him. Thought he could have had a few shots from outside the box at times.

prarek

My thoughts on his game. He wasn't great (as in Young great, like dribbling past players to create chances) but he was great (as in great for LVG's system). This has been the theme lately. His passing was spot on even under pressure and never lost possession. In the opposition half it was very clear how hard he was working, he was pressing till the end. Looked in great shape. Often got into great shooting positions as always inside the box but the ball never made it to him on those occasions. Linked well with everyone, came in and regularly swapped positions on the left with Fellaini. Its clear he's not limited to the right hand side, i've noticed this for a while now. Overall he did well. 7/10.

AtlMuppet

Had a perfect 75% of the game. We lost our shape once Falcao went off, and Mata lost his influence.

He should definitely shoot more. I counted at least three occasions when a shot was on and the entire stadium went "Shooooot!" (love it when Old Trafford does that!) but he chose to switch play instead.

Some of the through balls to Falcao were delicious.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
This place is amazing. It's the right back's fault that our left winger produced more then the right winger. In a game where our left back was probably the worst player in a United shirt and offered precisely zero going forwards. Flawless logic.

Mata played quite well but lacked cutting edge. Which has been a problem in recent weeks. All our penetration has come from Young taking on and beating his man, one on one. We lack that on the opposite flank and it makes us a bit one dimensional. A better striker might help, mind you.
I agree, its a stark contrast reading this thread compared to that of Young or Fellaini in terms of the attitude towards the players.

DarkXaero

Thought he had a really good game today, was great in possession and his combination play with Herrera was great. He obviously doesn't play like a conventional winger at all, and today, he spent a lot of time in the center of the pitch (which is good).

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Had a perfect 75% of the game. We lost our shape once Falcao went off, and Mata lost his influence.

He should definitely shoot more. I counted at least three occasions when a shot was on and the entire stadium went "Shooooot!" (love it when Old Trafford does that!) but he chose to switch play instead.

Some of the through balls to Falcao were delicious.
It's weird tbh. He's such a clinical striker of the ball but virtually never shoots from outside the box. Dunno if it's the 'philosophy' or what, but he's the kind of guy you would accept taking a few potshots.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I agree, its a stark contrast reading this thread compared to that of Young or Fellaini in terms of the attitude towards the players.
Mata is actually a better player than either Fellaini or Young though, so there's a natural tendency to read into their performances with that in mind.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He has to shoot more instead of passing it out wide all the time.
Yep. I've lost count the amount of times i've shouted at the TV in recent months because of this. He takes a brilliant free kick so i can't understand why he's so reluctant.

ThaReaper01

His form has dropped of since the salvo a few weeks back. Same for the team. I didn't think he was up to much today. Most of the joy came against Bellerin on the other side. He had a chance that I can't quite recall but I do remember shouting for him to shoot instead of passing.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I understand why he is played on the right and I am a fan of it (most of the time) but you can't help and get excited when he moves inside, he just looks so much more dangerous.

Would love to see him off the striker next season, especially in Europe.

Varun

Staff
His form has dropped of since the salvo a few weeks back. Same for the team. I didn't think he was up to much today. Most of the joy came against Bellerin on the other side. He had a chance that I can't quite recall but I do remember shouting for him to shoot instead of passing.
Happened 3 times I think. It's ridiculous how easily he creates a yard of space for a cross or a shot but then prefers to pass it infield and move rather than go for the decisive ball/finish. He creates that space for a cross with half the effort it takes Young but he just doesn't seem to want to go for the jugular.

Maroo

He is very good at keeping the ball but just not creative enough. He has been playing well but lacking the jazz which we expect from one of the premier playmakers in the league.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
:lol:

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems to be cutting a lot more inside when Rooney is not playing and I think he's more suited to the role he played yesterday.

Rob Bowman

Just watch what he did on Herrera's goal. It is his run that creates the space for Herrera. He starts wide and drags the arsenal player across the goal. The cross comes and all the Arsenal players are now focused on Fellaini and that now empty space Mata created is where Herrera ghost to. But this is a perfect example of how Young and Herrera get the stats, and everyone fawns over Fellaini occupying Arsenal's focus, but just as important is what Mata did without any attention or notice.

Honestly so much of what this guy does can not be quantified.

Status
Not open for further replies.