6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilRicky

Whatever about the "debate" going on above I do feel Mata will start to get less games for LVG. I mean he is in direct competition with Di Maria. Think we all expect Di Maria to start holding the right side of midfield to himself.

Mata is a huge fan favourite and rightly so, he's a fantastic footballer and model professional and speaks very fondly of the club and its fans.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He's technically superb, reads the game well, scores and assists goals consistently. Yet he's still not got 'it', in my opinion. We surely all know his limitations.

He'd be a sub at every one of last season's Champions League semi-finalists, and if we get to near that level, ultimately he'll be relegated to a sub role here as well. Not a bad sub to have, though.

jem

He's technically superb, reads the game well, scores and assists goals consistently. Yet he's still not got 'it', in my opinion. We surely all know his limitations.

He'd be a sub at every one of last season's Champions League semi-finalists, and if we get to near that level, ultimately he'll be relegated to a sub role here as well. Not a bad sub to have, though.
The problem with that logic (ie. comparing him to players at CL semi-finalists) is that we bought a player who was a star performer for a CL winner (Di Maria,) and yet by the end of the season, he couldn't get a sniff of a starting spot on a team that barely qualified for the CL. For all we know, Mata would really flourish at Bayern or Real. I do hope to see him step it up a level next season, though.

Speak

The problem with that logic (ie. comparing him to players at CL semi-finalists) is that we bought a player who was a star performer for a CL winner (Di Maria,) and yet by the end of the season, he couldn't get a sniff of a starting spot on a team that barely qualified for the CL. For all we know, Mata would really flourish at Bayern or Real. I do hope to see him step it up a level next season, though.
That's fair enough. It was just an example. In my opinion, he wouldn't last long as a first-teamer for a title-winning side that can also do the business in Europe, i.e. a really top side. There will always be more suitable options.

Many will disagree, because he scores goals and has great technique. but, for me, it's the bits in between where he's lacking. However, next season's team may well be the most settled, balanced team he's played in since coming to England (if we get the transfers spot on) so maybe he'll surprise me and really show it next season.

jem

That's fair enough. It was just an example. In my opinion, he wouldn't last long as a first-teamer for a title-winning side that can also do the business in Europe, i.e. a really top side. There will always be more suitable options.

Many will disagree, because he scores goals and has great technique. but, for me, it's the bits in between where he's lacking. However, next season's team may well be the most settled, balanced team he's played in since coming to England (if we get the transfers spot on) so maybe he'll surprise me and really show it next season.
I agree. With the inevitable injuries (from which he rarely seems to suffer - hope I didn't jinx him!), he'll likely play a lot, even if he's not a pencilled-in starter.

LilRicky

Completely agree, the guy is a good footballer but I think consistency wise he isn't good enough. He vanishes for large portions of matches and pops up with a goal to cover over the fact he's played poorly.

Di Maria will start to take over from him more next season, so your original post above will in time ring true I'm sure.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The idea of Di Maria taking over from him is dependent on Di Maria actually playing better than him though, which wasn't the case this season.

Maybe Mata will get marginalised or maybe he'll increase in importance in a more balanced team. Either way though, there's no chance of us selling him given he's currently one of our best players.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Mourinho got rid due to Mata's defensive contribution which Mourinho didn't feel was good enough. Considering the way Chelsea play under Mourinho, and the type of player they used instead of Mata (Willian, Oscar, Schurrle), Mourinho was right to get rid.

As an attacking midfielder, Mata is world class. To compare him to Wes Hoolahan, I mean FFS.

Theonas

Scout

It really never works like that. If we bought Rakitic and Jérémy Mathieu last year, you'd be hearing the same nonsense "yes they're good but are they a Puyol or Xavi?". I don't know why there tends to be talk about players quality totally independent of the circumstances around them ie: league, formation, position, style, ... and so on. Outside of players who have those "obvious talents" like a Messi or Suarez, it is more and more difficult to tell just what would work and how it would in each system and style. Mata might turn out to be our best player next season just as he might turn out a disappointment.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I disagree, I think van Gaal is planning to use Mata next season. LvG came to an English club who played totally different football to what he wants and Mata, Carrick and Blind were the only players who really suited his style of football from the start. He's said Mata was his best performer but that he had to leave him out for the balance of the team, Mata isn't very physical and we don't have alot of defensive options in the squad. We're buying a defensive CM, why not buy one so he could play Mata in midfield again? That would kill 2 birds with one stone and Mata is also a good option out wide.

Mata is a perfect van Gaal player in possesion, he also does defensive work but he isn't tall, strong or quick. If he can compensate for that in the team he's got a player who can perform his instructions perfectly, therefore I can't see Mata leaving.
Mata also appears to be van Gaal's ideal #10. As well as being able to maintain possession through short, crisp passing triangles, he has the vision to spot players in the final third (I wish he could demonstrate this more) as well as having the ability to score goals. van Gaal wants his #10's to be goalscorers, and Mata is one who can easily get 10+ goals per season if he plays regularly as a #10 under van Gaal.

Mata's lack of physicality is a huge issue in the middle, however, and this is a big reason why van Gaal plays Mata out wide. The "false winger" role is the role that brings the best out of Mata as well. If he plays in the middle, he can be easily outmuscled off the ball, and this was demonstrated against Swansea at home. Out wide, he doesn't have to deal with the constant pressure, but he's no winger, so unless we have a right wing back with a great attacking threat, Mata won't be as influential out wide.

It's not easy to put Mata into the current side at the moment. If he's in the middle, he'll struggle to maintain possession/make himself available for the ball. If he plays out wide, he'll need an attacking right back to provide the width down that side as well as a right-sided defensive midfielder to cover the right side (van Gaal hinted at getting such a player during May).

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Think LVG will play him as a 10 behind Rooney next season, once we get a Schneirderlin type behind him.

------------------Valdes----------------
Ramos---Smalling---Otamendi---Shaw
------Herrera------Schneiderlin--
---------------Mata----------------
Di Maria--------Rooney-----------Depay

Would be my guess of how we might line up.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Mata also appears to be van Gaal's ideal #10. As well as being able to maintain possession through short, crisp passing triangles, he has the vision to spot players in the final third (I wish he could demonstrate this more) as well as having the ability to score goals. van Gaal wants his #10's to be goalscorers, and Mata is one who can easily get 10+ goals per season if he plays regularly as a #10 under van Gaal.

Mata's lack of physicality is a huge issue in the middle, however, and this is a big reason why van Gaal plays Mata out wide. The "false winger" role is the role that brings the best out of Mata as well. If he plays in the middle, he can be easily outmuscled off the ball, and this was demonstrated against Swansea at home. Out wide, he doesn't have to deal with the constant pressure, but he's no winger, so unless we have a right wing back with a great attacking threat, Mata won't be as influential out wide.

It's not easy to put Mata into the current side at the moment. If he's in the middle, he'll struggle to maintain possession/make himself available for the ball. If he plays out wide, he'll need an attacking right back to provide the width down that side as well as a right-sided defensive midfielder to cover the right side (van Gaal hinted at getting such a player during May).
I fully agree with everything you wrote. Mata has the goals, passing, assists and vision van Gaal wants from a 10, but needs compensation for his physicality. We don't have the right midfielders at the club to play Mata there, Rooney and Fellaini are our only muscles in midfield and don't work together well with him. Mata is also a good option out wide to have since van Gaal likes multifunctionality, but he still has his limitations there. I just think that because Mata is already at the club and does these important things so well van Gaal could kill 2 birds with one stone because we're already looking to strenghten rightback and cm. The 10 is very important for van Gaal's style of play and I think Mata could be ideal for him in the correct setup. I think a midfield of Schneiderlin-Mata-Herrera with the point forward could work for example.

How big his role will be or his position I'm not sure, but he's a great player to have at the club and I can't see him leaving yet. We're already looking to strenghten so many positions Mata does not need replacing imo.

NK86

@Ringo 07 is obviously exaggerating, but I wouldnt be surprised if he were sold either - if a good offer came in. I dont feel that LVG trusts Mata as a #10/advanced midfielder due to his lack of defensive contribution, and I dont think he is particularly productive playing out wide. With the introduction of Depay, I find it hard to see where exactly Mata fits in to the starting XI.

I would sooner see Depay, Di Maria, Nani or Young as a winger.
Depay has just come in and we have not even seen how he finds in a new country/league/team. Young is downright average. He had a few good moments last season but Mata still had better stats and looked good most of the time. Nani is going to be sold and the jury is still out on whether Di Maria will be able to step it up at United. With those being our other options, why would anyone want a player like Mata sold? Would you sell Rooney because he has been far worse than Mata last season?

Not to mention, LVG categorically said Mata is one of his best players.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I fully agree with everything you wrote. Mata has the goals, passing, assists and vision van Gaal wants from a 10, but needs compensation for his physicality. We don't have the right midfielders at the club to play Mata there, Rooney and Fellaini are our only muscles in midfield and don't work together well with him. Mata is also a good option out wide to have since van Gaal likes multifunctionality, but he still has his limitations there. I just think that because Mata is already at the club and does these important things so well van Gaal could kill 2 birds with one stone because we're already looking to strenghten rightback and cm. The 10 is very important for van Gaal's style of play and I think Mata could be ideal for him in the correct setup. I think a midfield of Schneiderlin-Mata-Herrera with the point forward could work for example.

How big his role will be or his position I'm not sure, but he's a great player to have at the club and I can't see him leaving yet. We're already looking to strenghten so many positions Mata does not need replacing imo.
I agree as well. There's no point in van Gaal moving Mata on as he'll be looking to strengthen the RB position and add depth to the CM roles. However, that midfield 3 is seriously lacking in a midfielder with a good passing range. Herrera can improve his passing range, and I hope he does, but assuming he doesn't, then that midfield won't be strong unless Herrera is given more license to go forward, but I doubt Schneiderlin can do the defensive work all by himself.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
Mata is better at #10. He has done enough to deserve a chance to play there. He did fairly well on the right, when he was paired with a full back who could not create a chance to save his life and he was not an option a lot of times. If Mata was with a Rafael sort of a full back, that combination would have been a lot more lethal.
His presence behind a front three as the #10 in a midfield three is a bit risky, but if we have solid two man midfield, we have to try that. Rooney can be a good #9 if he is played with two natural wide players and in front of Mata.

Depay------Rooney-----Di Maria
-------------Mata---------------
------herrera---schneiderlin-----
Shaw----Smalling---Ramos----RB(who has attacking abilities at par with Rafael)
-----------valdes-----------------

Is the most balanced team we could have.
As Carrick is aging, we should buy two CMs, Schneiderlin and Schein/Gungogan.
Blind can be assigned the role of the second LB and 5 CM. Next season he can be the fourth CM when carrick leaves.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think hes a system player, or one of those players that play well when the team is firing on all cylinders and keeping possession. He's also a player that needs a lot of movement around him to fully express himself. Having said that, if our run of 6 win mid season reflects the way LVG wants us to play, then im sure with the right signings improving our team this summer, Juan will have a much better season.

Hugs.

Speak

It really never works like that. If we bought Rakitic and Jérémy Mathieu last year, you'd be hearing the same nonsense "yes they're good but are they a Puyol or Xavi?". I don't know why there tends to be talk about players quality totally independent of the circumstances around them ie: league, formation, position, style, ... and so on. Outside of players who have those "obvious talents" like a Messi or Suarez, it is more and more difficult to tell just what would work and how it would in each system and style. Mata might turn out to be our best player next season just as he might turn out a disappointment.
To be fair, Mathieu and Rakitic are examples of what I'm talking about.
Mathieu isn't a first team starter, and the interest in Pogba suggests that Rakitic will soon be replaced in the first team (I can't think of who else would be displaced). I'll be surprised if Rakitic is in their best XI two seasons from now, as well as he's done.

I've already said that next season's team is potentially the most balanced and settled team Mata will have played in, so maybe he'll really show it next season. I'm not ruling Mata out, but I'm not even convinced he's in the United best XI right now, let alone if/when more quality is added.

Personally, I'd have Herrera ahead of him in the AM role with, for example, Gundogan (would have loved Strootman too) and Schneiderlin behind him. Whereas obviously many would rather Mata as the AM, and Herrera + 1 behind him.
I don't want him sold though. At worst, he's a brilliant replacement/impact sub. to have.

Oneunited26

Mata is better at #10. He has done enough to deserve a chance to play there. He did fairly well on the right, when he was paired with a full back who could not create a chance to save his life and he was not an option a lot of times. If Mata was with a Rafael sort of a full back, that combination would have been a lot more lethal.
His presence behind a front three as the #10 in a midfield three is a bit risky, but if we have solid two man midfield, we have to try that. Rooney can be a good #9 if he is played with two natural wide players and in front of Mata.

Depay------Rooney-----Di Maria
-------------Mata---------------
------herrera---schneiderlin-----
Shaw----Smalling---Ramos----RB(who has attacking abilities at par with Rafael)
-----------valdes-----------------

Is the most balanced team we could have.
As Carrick is aging, we should buy two CMs, Schneiderlin and Schein/Gungogan.
Blind can be assigned the role of the second LB and 5 CM. Next season he can be the fourth CM when carrick leaves.
I do not think the club can go into the season without a DDG replacement, that backline would be a time bomb with or without ramos waiting to go off, Valdes is nothing but a backup keeper. So while people say get a RB, we lose DDG he must be replaced. Plus herrera can easily do mata's role would rather see him further forward, so I think 2 CM players, a RB, a GK if DDG is gone must be the priority.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Depay has just come in and we have not even seen how he finds in a new country/league/team. Young is downright average. He had a few good moments last season but Mata still had better stats and looked good most of the time. Nani is going to be sold and the jury is still out on whether Di Maria will be able to step it up at United. With those being our other options, why would anyone want a player like Mata sold? Would you sell Rooney because he has been far worse than Mata last season?

Not to mention, LVG categorically said Mata is one of his best players.
I havent said I "wanted him sold", and yes, I would sell Rooney as well because I dont think he is of the calibre to be a #1 striker at an elite club any more, but that is for a different thread.

As I said, I think our best football this season came when we played 4-3-3 with a backward facing triangle (ie a DM and 2 CMs). Herrera and Fellaini worked very well as the CMs in that system, with license to get forwards frequently and join the attack, whilst Carrick did his thing behind them. I cant see Mata fitting into a central position unless we significantly change our system therefore.
Out wide, I just dont rate him as a wide player that highly. In the system described above, in my opinion you want a pair of inside-forward style wingers. The likes of Robben, Bale, Ronaldo, Depay and Nani. Especially if we are using a forward like Rooney who has a tendency to drop a little deeper anyway, you want the wide men to be direct players who can pick up the ball and run with it outside or inside, and that is clearly not Mata's game.

There has been talk from some (including @NL Max) that we will likely be playing more of a 4-2-3-1 next season, as LVGs preferred system is using a forward facing triangle in midfield. I am not convinced that that will suit us better than what we did this season. I dont think Herrera's best role is as a deep lying midfielder (which he would be in the proposed system), and I also think that going into next season with potential changes to an already inexperienced back 5, we need to have a figure like Carrick who can screen the defence - which you do not typically get in the proposed system.

I realise that LVG has previously used that version of a 4-3-3, but he has also stated that he is not so stubborn that he is above changing and adapting it when required - we saw that with the 3-5-2 (although it didnt work out).

So, my stance is unchanged. Mata is a good footballer and one of the most likeable players in the game. For these reasons it is understandable that he is a fan favourite, however he is not indispensable to the club. And if (and yes, it is an if) Di Maria gets back to form and/or Nani/Young remain and play well, then I dont see a place for Mata in the starting XI. I agree with @Cina that there are plenty of players in the team who are more important than Mata.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@Walrus I agree with all you said about Mata, I myself think that he might be one of the players surprisingly sold mainly due his lack of physicality, I can see LVG make the same assessment than Mourinho and opt for a player who is maybe slightly less technical but a lot better physically, and that's where I disagree with you, this player might be Herrera, you counted him as a potential deep lying midfielder but in my opinion he is ideal at the tip of the triangle his only problem with Athletic was his lack of goals and he showed this season that he was a decent contributor in that department.

Speak

@Walrus I agree with all you said about Mata, I myself think that he might be one of the players surprisingly sold mainly due his lack of physicality, I can see LVG make the same assessment than Mourinho and opt for a player who is maybe slightly less technical but a lot better physically, and that's where I disagree with you, this player might be Herrera, you counted him as a potential deep lying midfielder but in my opinion he is ideal at the tip of the triangle his only problem with Athletic was his lack of goals and he showed this season that he was a decent contributor in that department.
Agreed with this too.
Schneiderlin, Strootman, Herrera would have been my aim for this summer. But with Strootman's injuries, I'd be happy with a midfield like:

Schneiderlin --- Gundogan
----------Herrera--------

I didn't see much of Herrera at Bilbao, but he looked so bright in that AM role. He can turn and drive towards goal so well. He plays passes that most others don't dare to try. He can shield the ball and ride a challenge. He can pick those final passes. He can add pace to attacks really well.
And then defend from the front.

Despite being less precise, I think he trumps Mata in everyone of these departments bar playing the final pass (and I think there's very little in this too - In fact, I'd actually argue that Herrera can spot passes that Mata can't, though many will disagree).

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I would certainly prefer Herrera in that "tip of the triangle" position rather than playing deeper. My ideal setup though is basically what we had this season - a backward facing triangle with Carrick screening the defence, and then Herrera and Fellaini in front of him, both of whom were free to get forward and attack, but also contributed defensively. You can potentially upgrade any of these players sure, however that system looked really promising I felt.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would certainly prefer Herrera in that "tip of the triangle" position rather than playing deeper. My ideal setup though is basically what we had this season - a backward facing triangle with Carrick screening the defence, and then Herrera and Fellaini in front of him, both of whom were free to get forward and attack, but also contributed defensively. You can potentially upgrade any of these players sure, however that system looked really promising I felt.
You are right, but in reality both systems work together Barcelona for example, switch from one to the other within the same game. That's why I think Fellaini isn't the right player for it, we need a more specialized box to box, and Herrera will be free to play both roles depending on the situational needs.

Edit: And to be on topic, I don't see Mata giving us that flexibility.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
You are right, but in reality both systems work together Barcelona for example, switch from one to the other within the same game. That's why I think Fellaini isn't the right player for it, we need a more specialized box to box, and Herrera will be free to play both roles depending on the situational needs.

Edit: And to be on topic, I don't see Mata giving us that flexibility.
Well, we can agree on the Mata part at least then ;)

NK86

I havent said I "wanted him sold", and yes, I would sell Rooney as well because I dont think he is of the calibre to be a #1 striker at an elite club any more, but that is for a different thread.

As I said, I think our best football this season came when we played 4-3-3 with a backward facing triangle (ie a DM and 2 CMs). Herrera and Fellaini worked very well as the CMs in that system, with license to get forwards frequently and join the attack, whilst Carrick did his thing behind them. I cant see Mata fitting into a central position unless we significantly change our system therefore.
Out wide, I just dont rate him as a wide player that highly. In the system described above, in my opinion you want a pair of inside-forward style wingers. The likes of Robben, Bale, Ronaldo, Depay and Nani. Especially if we are using a forward like Rooney who has a tendency to drop a little deeper anyway, you want the wide men to be direct players who can pick up the ball and run with it outside or inside, and that is clearly not Mata's game.

There has been talk from some (including @NL Max) that we will likely be playing more of a 4-2-3-1 next season, as LVGs preferred system is using a forward facing triangle in midfield. I am not convinced that that will suit us better than what we did this season. I dont think Herrera's best role is as a deep lying midfielder (which he would be in the proposed system), and I also think that going into next season with potential changes to an already inexperienced back 5, we need to have a figure like Carrick who can screen the defence - which you do not typically get in the proposed system.

I realise that LVG has previously used that version of a 4-3-3, but he has also stated that he is not so stubborn that he is above changing and adapting it when required - we saw that with the 3-5-2 (although it didnt work out).

So, my stance is unchanged. Mata is a good footballer and one of the most likeable players in the game. For these reasons it is understandable that he is a fan favourite, however he is not indispensable to the club. And if (and yes, it is an if) Di Maria gets back to form and/or Nani/Young remain and play well, then I dont see a place for Mata in the starting XI. I agree with @Cina that there are plenty of players in the team who are more important than Mata.
If Di Maria regains his form, he can take Mata's place on the wings with Mata moving centrally as the #10. He is miles better than Rooney there. Also, with so many changes required to our set up, I don't see a point in letting go of one of our better attacking threats. No one is indispensable and surely Carrick and DDG are more important to us, but as one of our attacking outfielders, he is most important of the lot.

Speak

He's an incredible player. People talk about how Di Maria is wasteful in possession because he's creative and takes risks. Well, Mata has managed to produce even more end product over his career, whilst at the same time maintaining 90% passing. I'd love to see him given more playmaking responsibility. Even when he's off-form, he's capable of keeping the team's passing going. With Carrick and Rooney's future roles in the team uncertain, I want to see Mata as the man that everyone in the team looks for.
The thing about this is:
To be the man that everyone looks for, your shielding has to be brilliant. You also have to be able to hold the ball under pressure and ride multiple challenges, and generally withstand bullying and man-marking. You need to be comfortable receiving the ball everywhere.

Mata has yet to show he can do this, in my opinion. Having tidy technique and a good brain isn't enough when the team is built around you as a midfielder or number 10.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
If Di Maria regains his form, he can take Mata's place on the wings with Mata moving centrally as the #10. He is miles better than Rooney there. Also, with so many changes required to our set up, I don't see a point in letting go of one of our better attacking threats. No one is indispensable and surely Carrick and DDG are more important to us, but as one of our attacking outfielders, he is most important of the lot.
What makes you think that LVG will want to use Mata as a #10, or that we will use a #10 at all? We didnt use a #10 this season during our best periods of form, and if we do, then I would prefer it to be Herrera. None of our attackers are particularly important or indispensable at the moment, including Mata.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The thing about this is:
To be the man that everyone looks for, your shielding has to be brilliant. You also have to be able to hold the ball under pressure and ride multiple challenges, and generally withstand bullying and man-marking. You need to be comfortable receiving the ball everywhere.

Mata has yet to show he can do this, in my opinion. Having tidy technique and a good brain isn't enough when the team is built around you as a midfielder or number 10.
Who has LVG used as a #10 before? Comparing them to Mata would seem like the obvious way of judging how capable Mata is of functioning in that role the way LVG would want. The only one I can remember is Litmanen?

He certainly suits in terms of his attacking output but maybe not in other ways...

Dante

Average bang
The thing about this is:

He's very difficult to dispossess because he's so beautifully balanced.. His lack of heft only affects the defensive, pressing side of his game, imo.

Speak

He's very difficult to dispossess because he's so beautifully balanced.. His lack of heft only affects the defensive, pressing side of his game, imo.
I wouldn't say that's why he's difficult to dispossess. I'd say it's as much down to the fact he usually distances himself from challengers (often dropping very deep, or just releasing the ball before he can be closed down). And I think this is a negative.
The team's default pass option should be a player who's comfortable holding the ball under pressure, receiving the ball with men on his shoulder, and riding challenges.

Being difficult to dispossess is only a special special trait when you're doing it in pressured areas of the pitch. That's not the case for Mata, so the praise can only go so far, in my opinion.

if you're playing a passing game, and the majority of the passing is sideways and in front of two lines of four, your go-to passing option needs to be the guy who can hold the ball that bit longer, shield the ball, and turn when the challenges come in.
If he can't do that, then the team is just forced to pass in front of the lines of four even more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.