Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I think van Gaal considers Mata as our best number 10 and the feeling I get from his interviews is that we will drop RVP or Rooney if we switch to a 4-3-3 variant.

Oneunited26

I sort of agree with you, at times with Mata it's like playing with an additional striker which makes him redundant in a 2 striker system I think he will be able to find more space and create more chances in a 4 3 3.

Although I don't agree with him not creating enough chances. He created 3 times as many clear cut chances as goals.
I have always said this, signing mata defeats the point in the need of playing 2 strikers, he is your classic number 10 that thrives in a 4231 system, 2 wingers who can stretch the play, and a striker he can feed the ball to. He is a pretty impressive goalscorer, and if you have speed on the wings either side of him, his passing ability can advanced the wingers, and the wingers gives him the space to work his magic. So if VG tries a 4231 with di maria and janazaj either side of him, with rooney or RVP up top, the juan mata signing is like a new signing

The thought of mata on the top of a 4231, playing off the striker gives me the excitement this guy will be fantastic for us

herrera carrick
di maria mata janazaj
rooney/RVP

We will truly see the best of mata, who could easily bag us 20 goals, and his free kick ability is a huge weapon we could have. The di maria signing will see the very best of mata

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I agree, mate, but there's been too much anti-Mata talk from respected United men in recent months for there not to be more to it.

We all know the lack of pace in our attacking triumvirate of van Persie, Rooney and Mata is a hindrance and if push comes to shove, there's one man who's more expendable than the other two under the current regime.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Amazing player but I can see why José got rid. His touch and finishing is excellent as well as his passing but he is too slow to be striker and too lightweight for midfield.

Hopefully he can adapt to this new system or else we will have another Kagawa on our hands.

izec

I agree, mate, but there's been too much anti-Mata talk from respected United men in recent months for there not to be more to it.

We all know the lack of pace in our attacking triumvirate of van Persie, Rooney and Mata is a hindrance and if push comes to shove, there's one man who's more expendable than the other two under the current regime.
he played every game so far, cant see him leaving. Why should he, Kagawa is as good as gone.

ZDwyr

he played every game so far, cant see him leaving. Why should he, Kagawa is as good as gone.
Agree. He won't leave because he's clearly ahead of Kagawa in the pecking order. If anything it'll be Shinji that goes.

tippex

I don't get the negativity to mata he's still a very new player and having a stat of 17 games with 7 goals is a top return when you consider exactly how shit we have been.

TheReligion

Abusive
I have seen a few people saying that Mata will be dropped to accommodate Di Maria?

Anyone want to have a guess at what LVG will do with his forwards now when it comes to a starting 11?

dar10nian

Fletchers biggest fan
Amazing player but I can see why José got rid. His touch and finishing is excellent as well as his passing but he is too slow to be striker and too lightweight for midfield.

I agree 100%. I can also see why Jose got rid but I can't understand why Moyes paid 37million for yet another no10 who wants to play in the hole. The team lacks power and pace, and lots of money being spent on players who seem to have everything except pace eg Mata, Fellaini and even Herrara for that matter.

fallengt

Jose got rid of him because he cannot defend and didn't fit in his system. Just re watch Ki seung' goal and you'll see why Jose got a point, I ain't sure he can adapt to LvG's system either.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He needs players making runs and the ball to feet. Our defence have hoofed it over 30 times in this match. How are playmakers meant to get into the game with that sort of service?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He needs players making runs and the ball to feet. Our defence have hoofed it over 30 times in this match. How are playmakers meant to get into the game with that sort of service?
Di Maria hasn't done bad...

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Don't expect too many to understand this, they will all be blaming him. Anyway still, Mata, Rooney and RvP don't work, only two out of those three can play at once!!

Orton

Di Maria hasn't done bad...
I know he's been our best player, but Mata needs the ball to feet, and he rarely gets it because the team don't play to his strengths. Infact I don't think they play to any of our attacking players strengths anymore. We create nothing and the attackers just suffer.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I know he's been our best player, but Mata needs the ball to feet, and he rarely gets it because the team don't play to his strengths. Infact I don't think they play to any of our attacking players strengths anymore. We create nothing and the attackers just suffer.
I think he has had the ball a few times and played poor balls into the box, you are right in some cases but he has also been a bit poor when he has got the ball

Orton

I think he has had the ball a few times and played poor balls into the box, you are right in some cases but he has also been a bit poor when he has got the ball
Well yeah, he could have done better but Rooney and RVP are suffering too, so I think it's more a problem with getting the ball to any of our attacking players rather than just Mata. They are all suffering.

izec

Mata got the ball to his feet, slips. Sums his season up so far.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Don't expect too many to understand this, they will all be blaming him. Anyway still, Mata, Rooney and RvP don't work, only two out of those three can play at once!!
Don't be a twat.

Everytime he has had the ball he has done nothing with it.

Got in the way in the box on one chance, dawdled and miss hit a pass to Di Maria in the middle on another. Hit an aimless pump to the box on a decent paced break.

He may not be getting much ball, but when he has he has been poor.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We'd be so much more flexible without him in the side, and to be honest, he isn't proving why he should be in it. A mobile midfield three of di Maria, Herrera and Blind would work so much better.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
We'd be so much more flexible without him in the side, and to be honest, he isn't proving why he should be in it. A mobile midfield three of di Maria, Herrera and Blind would work so much better.
Blind is as slow as Mata is.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Mata is slow, but Rooney and RVP are also slow, it's obviously a problem fitting them all in. I'd take Januzaj over one of the forwards.
All the front 3 are slow as feck. One of them needs to be dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.