Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Because personally I'm not a big fan of passengers, the way he drifts out of games can be quite worrying, and yes, obviously if we did bring in a better midfield (which should be a given) it would alleviate a lot of this issue, yet some games, against some teams, be it a tough European tie vs a Barca/Bayern or even a Stoke away, where your team isn't playing well and surrendering possession (everyone has these through the long season), you want your players to dig in and do their job off the ball, and Mata for me wont ever offer enough.

Since his arrival we haven't seen him opperating well between the lines, trying an imaginative pass to try and open a tight defence up, I just dont think thats his game, in the same way a Januzaj or a Di Maria try to slide balls though/over, they don't often come off for those two at present i'll admit, but I bring them up as two in our squad whom try to unlock tight defences, or have it in their locker.
For me Mata would be best served playing as an inside forward, playing off of a stronger targetman, rather than what we want him to be, the imaginative spark able to link the midfield with our attack.
Again thats just my opinion.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Mata was one of our better players at Stoke this season.
http://www.goal.com/en/match/stoke-city-vs-manchester-united/1703889/ratings
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...l-news/stoke-city-1-manchester-united-8370045

I think everyones opinion on a good performance differs, as LVG would say, People see what they want to see, both negative and postivie one could say,
After some games, checking the Mata thread you see as many claiming he did well as those screaming he was virtually anonymous at times.
I dont really think theres anything more for me to add, personally dont dislike him enough to carry on and make it into some faux tirade against the guy, it's just I've just seen as much of his negative points as his positives since his arrival, is all.

ottosec

He is the Spanish midfielder who deserves to start every game, based on his performances... But, to be fair Januzaj has done good since he started playing regularly and he's hard to drop at this time.

Very disappointing to see him dropped for 3 games, anyway. Hopefully he'll be back in the team soon.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I just feel if Mata is playing, we need either 2 pacey wingers with him, or play him with a fast striker. Having RVP, Rooney and Mata is just too static and slow. It worked well in pre season with Welbeck stretching the lines, but clearly we don't have that option right now.

If we went 4-2-3-1 and had Young/Di maria wide I think that could get the best of Mata and Rooney.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Well in regards to your first point, yes he has been creative, maybe not as much as his Chelsea days but we would be far more praising of Mata's creative ability if those in front of him did their job. I don't base creativity purely around assists but for the sake of this argument, he could have 20 assists this season if the strikers finished the job more often.
That's true for Di Maria who seems to put our strikers through on goal every time he plays. Mata's assist stats on the other hand are a pretty good indicative of his overall level of creativity i.e nowhere near the level required of a creative #10.

In fact, Di Maria's creativity and through balls don't reflect too well on Mata and the excuses made for his lack of creativity. Di Maria seems to have no issues picking the runs of Rooney and RVP.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
That's true for Di Maria who seems to put our strikers through on goal every time he plays. Mata's assist stats on the other hand are a pretty good indicative of his overall level of creativity i.e nowhere near the level required of a creative #10.

In fact, Di Maria's creativity and through balls don't reflect too well on Mata and the excuses made for his lack of creativity. Di Maria seems to have no issues picking the runs of Rooney and RVP.
That's part of Di Maria's game, he goes long, whether it be sideways or forwards heaps. He likes hitting those types of balls, Mata doesn't really play those passes over 40-50 yards. I think Mata is a lot more 'creative' than Di Maria in the final 3rd but Di Maria can hurt the opposition more from deeper.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That's part of Di Maria's game, he goes long, whether it be sideways or forwards heaps. He likes hitting those types of balls, Mata doesn't really play those passes over 40-50 yards. I think Mata is a lot more 'creative' than Di Maria in the final 3rd but Di Maria can hurt the opposition more from deeper.
I'd disagree and agree with akash. Mata is more clinical, but Di Maria is more creative in the final third. Di Maria has put van Persie in many times with those cheeky lofted passes outside the box, I haven't seen Mata do that enough.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'd agree with you, on the whole I think this Mata is a second striker that can't create is complete bollocks. Although I think Mata can play a good long ball too, he just doesn't go for it at every opportunity like Di Maria.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Didn't Mata get something like 28 assists for Chelsea in 12/13? Not bad for a non-creative player who doesn't have an eye for a pass....

Think their midfield was a combination of Ramires, Mikel, and Lampard that season too, wasn't it? Hardly what I'd call all-conquering.....

So yeah.

Eric'sCollar

I'd disagree and agree with akash. Mata is more clinical, but Di Maria is more creative in the final third. Di Maria has put van Persie in many times with those cheeky lofted passes outside the box, I haven't seen Mata do that enough.
And Mata has sent through Faclao, RVP and Di Maria at times. I know I have talked about it a little but I really don't have much time for the term 'creative'. It's so subjective.

Both a top players that we should be playing every week but in positions that they will hurt the opposition most.

buckooo1978

lets not kid ourselves....Mata has been poor to average in a disappointing United team this year - I can't think of one performance this season where I thought he was excellent - I'm shocked to read how highly some rate him on here - lets be honest - he's like Kagawa with slightly better stats

he's a 'nice' player but I'm very underwhelmed by his impact - similar players like Cazorla/Coutinho/Silva have been much much more impressive

a lot of this is down to his lack of selection and playing in a really disjointed United team....he lacks the presence to grab games for us based on his 13 months at the club

where he has played well he's done it in front of two strong midfield players and with two wide attacking players....maybe we would see the best of him as a #10 in a 4-3-3

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn't Mata get something like 28 assists for Chelsea in 12/13? Not bad for a non-creative player who doesn't have an eye for a pass....

Think their midfield was a combination of Ramires, Mikel, and Lampard that season too, wasn't it? Hardly what I'd call all-conquering.....

So yeah.
12 assists in 34 league matches. Rooney has had better amounts than that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
12 assists in 34 league matches. Rooney has had better amounts than that.
I never said Rooney didn't have an eye for a pass though, or that he wasn't particularly good at creating chances. Rooney has been an excellent player, the fact that Mata was able to contribute in a comparable way at 24 only highlights how good he is really.

lets not kid ourselves....Mata has been poor to average in a disappointing United team this year - I can't think of one performance this season where I thought he was excellent - I'm shocked to read how highly some rate him on here - lets be honest - he's like Kagawa with slightly better stats

he's a 'nice' player but I'm very underwhelmed by his impact - similar players like Cazorla/Coutinho/Silva have been much much more impressive

a lot of this is down to his lack of selection and playing in a really disjointed United team....he lacks the presence to grab games for us based on his 13 months at the club

where he has played well he's done it in front of two strong midfield players and with two wide attacking players....maybe we would see the best of him as a #10 in a 4-3-3
Not going to bother looking up the stats for Cazorla or Silva but if I remember right Mata has contributed half again as many goals/assists as Coutinho in the last year and a half. Stats aren't everything but end product is still end product. If that's Mata in poor form and Coutinho at his best....

Eric'sCollar

It's all opinions but he has been good. However, if someone isn't playing out of their skin and having a great game, they get labelled as having a poor one. For some reason, especially among United fans, people can't accept a player having an okay game, it has to either be a 9/10 or one worthy of placing them on the transfer list.

He isn't having the direct impact as he was at Chelsea, not all his fault but I will accept that however, he makes us a better team and is our best number 10 and surely there is room for our best number 10 in our squad.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
No one is saying Mata cannot spot a pass but I'd argue his creativity is overrated. He's no more creative than many of our attacking players. Both Herrera and Rooney are a lot less refined and nowhere near as elegant as Mata is. They're also likely to misplace more passes but they're also hell of a lot more likely to make things happen and very rarely do games pass them by.

I've said this from the beginning. Mata's productivity in itself would never be enough to keep him in the team. He needed to stand out in a creative sense to beat off the competition and unfortunately he hasn't done that.

I wouldn't sell him though. He's still a very very good player and given the injury issues, he's still likely to start many games. I'd also like for him to given a shot out wide, preferably from the right.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I wouldn't sell him though. He's still a very very good player and given the injury issues, he's still likely to start many games. I'd also like for him to given a shot out wide, preferably from the right.
He's wasted out wide imo. If he's going to play, it has to be as a no.10, otherwise don't bother.

Eric'sCollar

He's wasted out wide imo. If he's going to play, it has to be as a no.10, otherwise don't bother.
At home (not the same debate as his home v away performances) against lesser teams he can be very productive from wide. I think it was Palace he came off the bench on the right and scored the winner. In a game where we dominate possession in the attacking 3rd, he is fine out wide. In tighter games, not so much.

Jev

No one is saying Mata cannot spot a pass but I'd argue his creativity is overrated. He's no more creative than many of our attacking players. Both Herrera and Rooney are a lot less refined and nowhere near as elegant as Mata is. They're also likely to misplace more passes but they're also hell of a lot more likely to make things happen and very rarely do games pass them by.

I've said this from the beginning. Mata's productivity in itself would never be enough to keep him in the team. He needed to stand out in a creative sense to beat off the competition and unfortunately he hasn't done that.

Surely you'd still admit that he has done more to deserve a spot than Falcao and RvP.

He was by far our best non-DDG-player for a month not long ago. His reward was getting benched.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Surely you'd still admit that he has done more to deserve a spot than Falcao and RvP.

He was by far our best non-DDG-player for a month not long ago. His reward was getting benched.
Falcao has been shit, so Mata was a bit unlucky there and I said as much in the thread. Not so much RVP who gets a lot of undeserved flack on this forum.

Don't agree with the last line either. He was the best player against Spurs in the first half but aside from that I'm struggling to remember what else he did that stood out. Did nothing at Stoke or Villa (where people were baffled he wasn't taken off). Taken off at half time against QPR and missed a few chances against Southampton. Was good against Newcastle before that but Rooney was our best player in that game. All in all nothing special overall and I wasn't overly surprised he was dropped.

buckooo1978

It's all opinions but he has been good. However, if someone isn't playing out of their skin and having a great game, they get labelled as having a poor one. For some reason, especially among United fans, people can't accept a player having an okay game, it has to either be a 9/10 or one worthy of placing them on the transfer list.

He isn't having the direct impact as he was at Chelsea, not all his fault but I will accept that however, he makes us a better team and is our best number 10 and surely there is room for our best number 10 in our squad.
I agree with the idea that some fans are either great or poor and there is no middle ground but I'm not in that group and I think it's a very small group

at the same time his performances have been very meh and whilst he is undoubtedly a nice passer there's genuinely only 1 game where I felt he made a major impact - when he came on as a sub vrs Palace and linked up well scoring the winner - he played well in the first half away to Spurs too - can you think of many more?

in terms of our midfielders I'd rate our performers as

1. Blind (solid throughout)
2. Herrera (has played pretty good in most games)
3. Fellaini (some effective performances but he has his limitations in terms of passing)
3. Carrick (good start then faded a bit)
4. Di Maria (see Carrick)
5. Mata/Rooney/Januzaj (Mata has had much more opportunities but both have been largely ineffectual when playing)

he has to play at 10 or nothing and he hasn't had great movement around him - we shouldn't have bought him as none of our managers have been able to use him

Moyes tried him on the left and it didn't work, Van Gaal has tried the same on the left side of a diamond and he is too lightweight

in our best 11 - a 4-3-3 in my opinion we'd perhaps see the best of him - doubt Van Gaal will go for it though - he sees Fellaini as more effective as a second striker

--------------------------------DDG--------------------------------
Valencia----------Smalling------------Rojo-----------------Shaw
----------------------Herrera---------Blind/Carrick----------------
Di Maria------------------------Mata------------------------Young
------------------------------Rooney-------------------------------

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I think my problem is that as a #10, we have quite a few people who can play there. Mata, Herrera, Rooney and Januzaj.

I like Mata. I think he has a lovely touch, and his passing vision is very good. I think the reason he isn't settling into this team is because of the way we are playing. It's slow, it doesn't really progress. When we pass it forward, our strikers come meet the ball, rather than make a run.
His defensive duties are obviously a let down at times, but his attacking play is very good. I do think his lack of pace doesn't help him be dynamic either.

Herrera interests me, and I would like to see him have a few games at #10 though. From what I have seen of him, its been a very mixed bag of reviews.
He likes a forward pass, and he likes to pass into space. I like his aggressive passing. My problem with Herrera is, with aggressive passing, sometimes they get intercepted, and while he players as a 2 man midfield or whatever, losing the ball in the areas he does, can be a big problem as teams will counter it. I think this is the reason he has seen limited game time. Defensively, I don't think Herrera has been great, so I think watching him as a #10 would be interesting. I think he has better agility and movement that Mata, and his work rate, may suit him more than Mata

MoneyMay

Mata should be a nailed on starter in my opinion. He's arguably our most technically gifted player IMO which is needed when he occupies the tight spaces as a number 10. If we had a foward line of lets just say. Di Maria---Rooney---Winger with Mata in behind with 2 Mobile midfielders in support. Lets say a create player and a box to box I think we would achieve this "balance" LVG is looking for. He's too good to be benched 3 games in a row.
Don't agree with this at all. We can say that he's our most technically gifted player, but that shouldn't matter. Part of the reason he struggled under Mourinho - and is struggling under Van Gaal - is because he's below average when it comes to playing between the lines. He struggles to shield the ball and can't operate well when he's pressed. Add that to the fact that he struggles in tight spaces, and you have yourself a player who causes us problems. I have no problem with him being a squad player though.

He is the Spanish midfielder who deserves to start every game, based on his performances... But, to be fair Januzaj has done good since he started playing regularly and he's hard to drop at this time.

Very disappointing to see him dropped for 3 games, anyway. Hopefully he'll be back in the team soon.
Herrera has shown that he can adapt, take a look at his last two performances for instance. Mata is a very good player, but he's not the amazing player people think he is. This idea that he should be an automatic starter doesn't make sense at all. He should be benched when he doesn't produce and he should fight for his place like every other player at the club.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He should be benched when he doesn't produce and he should fight for his place like every other player at the club.
I don't think anyone argues with that. The confusion is the likes of Falcao, RVP and Wayne Rooney have been favoured, even after some extremely poor games. The timing of his dropping has coincided with our worst footballing performances of the season (although I don't think it's solely down to Mata not playing), so it makes people think.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I would have started him with ADM and Herrera, they play well together. Mata has always stated how well he and Herrera play together, the fact they came up the Spanish youth teams together, so know how each other tick. What was the point of Fellaini out there today?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Needs to get starts again. He's a class player, on a completely different level to Van Persie or Falcao, feck knows why he's been on the bench when he was one of our best players in the last few months.

Drop the strikers permanently and use him behind Rooney for good. We'll be a much better team for it.

Raw

Need to get back to starting him again. Ideally in a 4231 with Mata behind Rooney but that'll never happen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Needs to get starts again. He's a class player, on a completely different level to Van Persie or Falcao, feck knows why he's been on the bench when he was one of our best players in the last few months.

Drop the strikers permanently and use him behind Rooney for good. We'll be a much better team for it.
Need to get back to starting him again. Ideally in a 4231 with Mata behind Rooney but that'll never happen.
So much this.

MoneyMay

I don't think anyone argues with that. The confusion is the likes of Falcao, RVP and Wayne Rooney have been favoured, even after some extremely poor games. The timing of his dropping has coincided with our worst footballing performances of the season (although I don't think it's solely down to Mata not playing), so it makes people think.
Agree with that, though there are some who think that he should be an automatic starter which doesn't make sense. Anyway, Mata should be back in the team, and I do think he should have been utilised more in recent weeks. He was anonymous against QPR - though he did create a great chance for Falcao - and he hasn't featured much since. And it's not like he's put in some great performances either, but at the same time our strikers have been awful. I really hope he can adapt and play like the #10 we need him to be.

NoPace

We do seem to need the movement that pairing would bring. I'm hoping this summer we'll let Falcao go, sign a wide attacker and play:

-------Rooney------
--DiMaria-Mata--RW
--------Herrera----
-------Blind---------

with the option of replacing Mata with a CM (or Di Maria, with an LW coming in) in tougher games, or dropping Mata for a striker and letting Rooney be the 10 to give us another goalscorer in easier games.

jem

We do seem to need the movement that pairing would bring. I'm hoping this summer we'll let Falcao go, sign a wide attacker and play:

-------Rooney------
--DiMaria-Mata--RW
--------Herrera----
-------Blind---------

with the option of replacing Mata with a CM (or Di Maria, with an LW coming in) in tougher games, or dropping Mata for a striker and letting Rooney be the 10 to give us another goalscorer in easier games.
I'd love the lineup. I'd even stick one of Januzaj or Nani on the right wing and go with that. If anything, I'd perhaps like a new striker to challenge Rooney, as I think Rooney's best days are behind him.

Anyway, that lineup with a revamped defence would be great to see (which of course means that we'll never see it..)

Boycott

Start Mata. Build the team around him. Throughout his time he's had to consolidate whilst we try and shoe horn our other big names but he is the one who at his best gets others playing well. Guys like Di Maria, Herrera, Januzaj will bounce off from his excellent movement and creativity if we make him our playmaker. That Spurs game was an outstanding performance and no surprise everything came through him.

For a more easy retort, it's not exactly worked trying to get the three strikers in tandem, so at least give it a go. Mata is a wonderful footballer and it'll be a damn shame if he is let go without given the opportunity to showcase himself as our main man. Even Fellaini has been given that chance.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Start Mata. Build the team around him. Throughout his time he's had to consolidate whilst we try and shoe horn our other big names but he is the one who at his best gets others playing well. Guys like Di Maria, Herrera, Januzaj will bounce off from his excellent movement and creativity if we make him our playmaker. That Spurs game was an outstanding performance and no surprise everything came through him.

For a more easy retort, it's not exactly worked trying to get the three strikers in tandem, so at least give it a go. Mata is a wonderful footballer and it'll be a damn shame if he is let go without given the opportunity to showcase himself as our main man. Even Fellaini has been given that chance.
Agree with this, play with one striker and stick Mata behind that striker and build the midfield around him and watch how we will flourish.

IwatUwat

Agree with this, play with one striker and stick Mata behind that striker and build the midfield around him and watch how we will flourish.
He does slow our play tho, just cos he's not the quickest. Needs to therefore play somewhere with people running past him, formation wise and others players I think he could play left side of a forward 3, it'd ask a bit but Shaw could potentially overlap and provide width allowing him to drop slightly more centre.

Be interested to see though given a full season at no10 how many goals he'd score.

Sam

The sudden freezing out of Mata recently is baffling to say the least. :confused:

RedorDead21

He does slow our play tho, just cos he's not the quickest. Needs to therefore play somewhere with people running past him, formation wise and others players I think he could play left side of a forward 3, it'd ask a bit but Shaw could potentially overlap and provide width allowing him to drop slightly more centre.

Be interested to see though given a full season at no10 how many goals he'd score.
I think you will find he receives the ball. see's no obvious options even for his mastery to pick a pass and hence has to hold onto it for another second, and another second then a final second before he decides he has to release it to whomever and repeat!

Status
Not open for further replies.