Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He should really have at least an assist or a goal. Great save from the keeper and bad miss from Mkhi. Also, his play in the penalty box is amazing, I think he plays better in the penalty box than outside, always picks the great option.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Another stat in which he doesn't look good is forward passes vs backward passes. Players like Eriksen, Ozil and Silva all pass the ball forwards more often than they pass backwards. With Mata it's the other way round. Interestingly, this is something he's only been doing since Van Gaal took charge. When he was playing under Moyes his forward/backward passing ratio was the exact opposite. I can't find his Chelsea stats but wouldn't be surprised at all if it was similar to what we saw in 203/14. I suspect his conservatism in the first few months of this season is a hangover from the previous manager. Hopefully he's play with a bit more adventure as the season goes on.
Another reason could be that he is playing to an instruction and a system. Its usually preferable to play forward but the problem with these sorts of stats is they dont include the reason why a pass is played sideways, backwards or if the pass was one which enabled a forward pass into a danger area. This season we have been using a particular passing sequence a lot, a sequence we didnt use under LVG at anywhere near the same levels. Forward, return, through with the player receiving the first pass then turning and making a run forward dragging defenders. We have been using this in the middle third to launch attacks, its very noticeable its a tool the team is using. Stats dont account for this sort of thing.

So for me the big question is why are passes sideways or backwards rather than they are to be dismissed as a sign of conservatism. Under LVG we played sideways and backwards because LVG was risk averse and that was clear for everyone to see. This season to my eye anyway we are more attack focussed and I wonder if sideways or backward passes are more related to passing sequences teams use to go forward.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Doesn't half score some important goals for us.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Gets so many important goals/assists. Brilliant player.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Will get double digits in goals and assists for the 3rd season in a row.

m1y2

would be disappointed if he doesnt start next game from the wing, I think he showed he's an important player and the most efficient palyer in the team.. none of the mkh/martial/Lingard or rashford were good so it will be one of them on left wing, mata from the right, carrick back as no6

Walters_19_MuFc

Just continues to contribute, whether it's a goal or an assist, and it always seems to be important goals. Not sure he'll start on Sunday, but if we were to bring him on, I could definitely see him scoring.

Sylar

He gets into great positions and is great with the ball. His link up with Mkhi is really good too.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Another excellent game. He's certainly made a case for himself to start against the scousers though I doubt he will.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Feels like the only goals he scores for us are the important ones. Barely ever scores those "filler" goals, that pad the stats but dont change the game too much.

Easily my favourite player in the squad, how can anyone not like him?

Kassadin

Great player to have in the squad. Doesn't kick up a fuss when he's being rotated and usually comes up with a goal or an assist when called upon.

Phenomenal output for a squad player.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Great player to have. So technically gifted, and such smart movement. No matter how he's playing, he will always score or create.

Status
Not open for further replies.