Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Brilliant player. His touch is just fantastic

Acole9

Outstanding
Easily our best player last night, could've had two goals but it was a strong save from their keeper.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Feels like the only goals he scores for us are the important ones. Barely ever scores those "filler" goals, that pad the stats but dont change the game too much.

Easily my favourite player in the squad, how can anyone not like him?
Well, all his goals this season have been either the first or second goal in the game - and all but his goal vs. Feynoord were either the opening or winning goal.

He was cracking last night, easily the MOTM.

Parma Dewol

Brilliant player. His touch is just fantastic
He really is. Often gets overlooked now that so many other big-name players are the club, but Mata remains one of the very best. Incredible talent and he also seems one of the nicest characters around the club.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's just getting better. Mata's best season for us so far, Jose has done a great job with him. Given the freedom to roam and find space

JeffBoomTetris

He has improved massively due to the shackles coming off. Last season, his statistical output was the same but his general performance was worrying. Under Jose, he dribbles more and takes the initiative when trying to probe a way through defenses. Now, all that's left is for him to take more shots on goal. I am sure we'll score more

Brilliant player. That 'luxurious player' storyline that was being pushed was ridiculous I wanted to reply to it so badly but didn't have the privileges. Creates so many chances and his dribbling is top notch. If we could play with a 10 no doubt who I'd want to play there. I remember against Burnley he should've had at least five assists when Zlatan had his worst game for us arguably. His weight of pass is excellent. Don't mind him starting on the right wing at all if we need it and playing at 10 against weaker teams. Hope he stays for us for a while, most likable player in the league, and seems to love his time here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's just getting better. Mata's best season for us so far, Jose has done a great job with him. Given the freedom to roam and find space
Considering those stats span the Moyes/Van Gaal horror seasons that's an incredible stat. Yet more evidence to support Fergie's cows in the other field theory.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Considering those stats span the Moyes/Van Gaal horror seasons that's an incredible stat. Yet more evidence to support Fergie's cows in the other field theory.
Well he used to be the cow on the other field I admired. About the only good thing Moyes did was to buy him.

BenjaminP

Mourinho certainly thinks mata as a backup/rotational player. But there is no doubt mata is a brilliant player as stats above show. I hope mata is okay with his role at United (meaning hope he is okay with not starting every game), so he can stay longer.

3KDré

Not a starter for me, but certainly one of the most prolific super subs we've had in a while?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I must admit to at various points over the last few years genuinely questioning the fact that he's a midget and he's just not cut out for playing with the big boys and then every time he's come along and scored or assisted a bunch and made me eat far too many of my own words.

I love the little man.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Mourinho certainly thinks mata as a backup/rotational player. But there is no doubt mata is a brilliant player as stats above show. I hope mata is okay with his role at United (meaning hope he is okay with not starting every game), so he can stay longer.
I can't see it being an issue, seeing as everyone else who plays the same positions he does has also had to accept being in and out of the team. Including our former captain and most prolific goal-scorer ever.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I can't see it being an issue, seeing as everyone else who plays the same positions he does has also had to accept being in and out of the team. Including our former captain and most prolific goal-scorer ever.
Agreed. And it's not like he doesn't start a ton of games... he's made 17 starts this season. There's only 6 or 7 players who have made more.

Devil may care

Disappointed with him today, I thought he'd change the game when he came on but he struggled to really get involved.

PepsiCola

Didn't get involved today, disappointed.

I still feel he should be starting the bigger games given his record in them, was also great against Hull midweek.

Should have come on for Carrick at HT over Rooney. Mata at no.10 flanked by mkhi and martial for 20 minutes when Lpool were camped in their box would have been more ideal.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Should have started today, being dragged in towards the hour mark when we've already prepared to commence the big balls in to the box is mismanagement on Joses part.

anant

Never get the logic behind putting him in for the sake of it. He is a fantastic player, but you can't put him on the wing with Rooney playing beside him and Zlatan in front of him.
He needs some sort of pace around him and unfortunately he wasn't having any.

Ixion

Can't just keep throwing him on with 30 minutes to go expecting him to work miracles.

JeffBoomTetris

In hindsight, he should have started. Even though he is not a prolific dribbler or passer, his constant 'pass & move' combo relieves the team from opponents' pressing and advances the team into higher positions.

Bringing him on as an impact sub won't work much.

Walters_19_MuFc

Didn't really do anything of note. Always hard to come on in a game with such a high tempo, though. That said, I felt our other two subs; Fellaini and Rooney did more.

In hindsight, Mourinho should have probably brought Rashford on instead.

Aint gota Kalou

I can understand why he doesn't start in some games but he has to be the first choice off the bench at the very least. How Rooney got on before him I will never know.

Sylar

How many "big games" has he started? It seems like we dont pick him cos he lacks pace, but he more than makes up for that in everything else. He has the best understanding with Valencia on the right side.

I do think we should have brought him on instead of rooney for Carrick though. Mata swapping and floating with Martial and Mkhi would have been better than whatever Rooney was trying to do.

Jaybomb

The only reason Rooney came on was so he could get the headlines if he scored against them. No other reason.

But he played a part in the cross to Fellaini which lead to the equaliser so I can't go on too much. I'm not Mourinho but I think Lingard or Rashford might have been a better option out wide. Lingard has a good understanding with Zlatan it seems.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Couldn't get into the game when he came on, which isn't all that surprising considering how disjointed and scrappy the game was. You'd have hoped he'd have sured up our passing/put his foot on the ball and control things, but he didn't do either of those things and so was pretty poor.

Even Countiho for them - who for some reason we afforded bags of time and space to - didn't really do much when he came on either (bar the one pass for the Firminho chance... but considering how much of the ball he saw, you'd think he'd have done more)

It would make sense that the scrappy and untidy footballer that is Fellaini would have the biggest impact on the game.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
I love Mata!
On another thread I suggested that Mata should start every game. It's important for him to have Tonv V behind him for support (as well as on the overlap), but he'd also be up front alongside & supporting Ibra & scoring goals.
We have seen Martial or Rashford, or Lingard be very effective on the left from time to time but they don't have a Valencia behind them. They have Darmian or Blind.
So where's Mhiki you say? Well, the only way we start Mata every game, (& given the reluctance to have Luke Shaw play), we have play Mhiki at LB from the outset. Not just because we are desperate for goal like we did on Sunday but with that line up, Carrick, Herrera & Pog get to run the show in the middle as usual AND we have our best 11 on the pitch at kick-off.
Can Mhiki defend well enough when needed? Valencia wasn't an instant hit.
If we score more maybe he doesn't have to be as good defensively?

drdoityourself

I love him but I don't think his crossing is particularly good. Crossing from the right he tends to cross it high and slow, perfect for a goalkeeper o come and claim.
For me we should stick with the front 3 that played against Liverpool for a few games. But Mata should be getting on before Rooney, Mata's performing much better.

Stoke 1:1 Man Utd

Mike09

Very poor. Everything what he did today were wrong. I can't believe Martial was dropped and didn't even make the bench either. Bring Rashford in for Mata, we need someone who can make a run with pace at the moment.

anant

Very poor. Everything what he did today were wrong. I can't believe Martial was dropped and didn't even make the bench either. Bring Rashford in for Mata, we need someone who can make a run with pace at the moment.
Not his best game, but his passing has been good. Apart from that miss, can't blame him a lot

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Playing Mata away at teams like Stoke isn't the best idea. Even if we ignore his own goal and his awful miss, he's been dominated physically and is barely doing anything useful with the ball.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I like Mata a lot, but I am getting a bit annoyed with him being such a delicate flower.

AXVnee7

He's been very good this season but had a stinker today. It's annoying how every week someone new has to find a way to feck it up.

His fault for the goal, then missed a simple simple tap in which could've at least redeemed his mistake.

Art

Art the artist
He knows hes fecked up. Don't think he'll complain when he's on the bench for the next few.

Status
Not open for further replies.