6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobbs

You must be kidding you don't see a difference in Griezman and Mata from any forward position?
I don't see a "huge difference" when they're both playing from the right. From that position what would Griezman be so much better at?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Natural evolution versus James Browne's horn section? This is a good squad. Building a team is about more than brilliant individuals - the point about Di Maria is well made. When you talk about evolution I tend to think more of the youth system that the deep pockets of owners - we should appreciate the players that are here, including Mata, is the point. Great if Griezemann comes, though.
But surely you can see we have finished outside the top 4, 3 times now in the last what 4 seasons. We have not challenged in fact we have been miles off and you think this squad is good enough? For what to compete for Arsenal as a top four club? Perhaps but I want us to be top dogs again.
At this level we need brilliant individuals but if you are trying to say we don't need 11 world class players I agree with you.
For instance Blind last year was getting the plaudits for his form (and rightly so) but no one can deny how much of a relatively unknown defender in Bailley is as an upgrade?
We have a lot of improvement to be made before we are top dogs again and some of that will come from within the squad but most I suspect will be from transfers.

Lawman

I don't see a "huge difference" when they're both playing from the right. From that position what would Griezman be so much better at?
Movement, pace, running in behind rather than wanting ball at his feet (something we sorely lack), finishing, heading plus one of the biggest of all a threat on the counter attack.
Mata should stay no doubt he's quality but the upgrade is huge and also he would not be confined to the right in a 4231 as the 3 would interchange. Would be a fantastic signing imo.

finneh

Movement, pace, running in behind rather than wanting ball at his feet (something we sorely lack), finishing, heading plus one of the biggest of all a threat on the counter attack.
Mata should stay no doubt he's quality but the upgrade is huge and also he would not be confined to the right in a 4231 as the 3 would interchange. Would be a fantastic signing imo.
In terms of upgrading the first XI Griezmann would be a far bigger upgrade as a number 10 or as a striker than he would replacing Mata on the right.

Dobbs

I think you're massively overstating the gap between the two as right sided players.

More pace would be the biggest improvement he'd bring to that role but even then I don't think Griezman is that quick.

Litch

Simply superb yesterday. For me it's the relationship between him and Miki that I love and their link play is off the highest quality. The other reason he needs to play is he's the best finisher in the club imo....

Rossa

I think you're massively overstating the gap between the two as right sided players.

More pace would be the biggest improvement he'd bring to that role but even then I don't think Griezman is that quick.
Griezman is much more similar to Micky. Neither are blistering out wide, but once they come in central they move so quickly with the ball that they are pretty much unstoppable with the ball at their feet. When Giggs moved into the middle it was the same thing with him - he carried the ball at such pace, even when he was starting to get a little slow as a winger, that the opposition didn't know how to handle him. It's the combination of pace and the ball stuck to their feet like glue that make them so hard to tackle. Out wide, Griezman isn't that great, from what I've seen.

Martial is, btw, almost Messi-esque at running at full pelt with the ball no more than an inch from his feet.

Dobbs

Griezman is much more similar to Micky. Neither are blistering out wide, but once they come in central they move so quickly with the ball that they are pretty much unstoppable with the ball at their feet. When Giggs moved into the middle it was the same thing with him - he carried the ball at such pace, even when he was starting to get a little slow as a winger, that the opposition didn't know how to handle him. It's the combination of pace and the ball stuck to their feet like glue that make them so hard to tackle. Out wide, Griezman isn't that great, from what I've seen.

Martial is, btw, almost Messi-esque at running at full pelt with the ball no more than an inch from his feet.
Yeah agree, quick for a central player so if he does sign that's where you'd play him. Though that's where Mkhitaryan is seemingly at his best.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He has 6 goals in the premierleague this season, goal every ~205 minutes, which is actually pretty impressive, especially because he hardly stays on when we are leading like other players do which isn't helping him improve his goalscoring record. Far better ration than anyone else in our squad apart from Ibrahimovic, so I would say he is our second best attacking player this season.

Lawman

He has 6 goals in the premierleague this season, goal every ~205 minutes, which is actually pretty impressive, especially because he hardly stays on when we are leading like other players do which isn't helping him improve his goalscoring record. Far better ration than anyone else in our squad apart from Ibrahimovic, so I would say he is our second best attacking player this season.
More to attacking than goals but Mata is a good player but better as a 10 than a 7 but then so is Mykytarin so bit of a dilemma. But looks like Jose has found a formation that is accommodating all our forwards at the moment so all good. Long may our good form continue.

tomaldinho1

Completely agree - I really don't think there is a gulf in difference between Mata & Griezman when talking about the RW. Mata has average pace which is his biggest weakness but Griezman isn't that fast - only reason I see to 'upgrade' right flank is to sign either a no brainer like Hazard/Sanchez (unlikely) or a really fast player who would add a pacey dimension to our RW - basically we should have signed Mane.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Read what Garth Crooks wrote about him after sticking him in his team of the week and try not to laugh.

His Bailly one is pretty ridiculous too. Basically admits he only watched Bailly's performance after United fans on the train told him too. So he doesn't even watch all the games but picks a team of the week.

Jaybomb

We don't need to bother with #3 in ballon dor voting because we have Juan Mata. :houllier:
We all know Griezmann isn't the third best player in the world. So its bollocks anyway,.

He would be a good signing for us but I want Mata to play every week. Thats my preference.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Anyone seen Garth Crook's team of the week? He had Bailly in there because some fans on the train told him to put him in :lol:

Then about Mata he said:

"It has got to the stage where not only has Mata displayed remarkable professionalism, he is now playing as well for United as he did when Mourinho decided to sell him at Chelsea - which rather suggests to me that he has become saleable again and therefore may be the first in Mourinho's cull come the end of the season. Watch this space"

10 on 10 bantz.

DanBorja

Simply superb yesterday. For me it's the relationship between him and Miki that I love and their link play is off the highest quality. The other reason he needs to play is he's the best finisher in the club imo....
Stated this last week in the Mikhi thread & got a reply saying United looked terrible when this two played together.

Seriously I don't comprehend how people can't see how much more fluid is the attack when these two play together. Their chemistry and passing is top notch, and yes, Mata doesn't have much pace but he is far from being lazy, his workrate has improved dramatically and his finishing is arguably the best of the squad.

Reactions: Penna

Robertd0803

Stated this last week in the Mikhi thread & got a reply saying United looked terrible when this two played together.

Seriously I don't comprehend how people can't see how much more fluid is the attack when these two play together. Their chemistry and passing is top notch, and yes, Mata doesn't have much pace but he is far from being lazy, his workrate has improved dramatically and his finishing is arguably the best of the squad.
Reminds me a little of Mata and Kagawas performance against Newcastle away under Moyes where they linked up beautifully and tore Newcastle to shreds. Mata must be delighted there is another 'intelligent' player playing with him as their play is fantastic at times.

prarek

Mata just uploaded two videos to his channel that were immediately flagged for copyrights. :lol:

Charlie Foley

Is Mata hugely underrated by the United support? I just realized my average for him this season so far is 6.2 which surprises me. The Caf average is 6.4 and it feels like it should be higher.
Mine is 7.6 :lol:

Having said that, I often don't come on here as much after a defeat!

Charlie Foley

Anyone seen Garth Crook's team of the week? He had Bailly in there because some fans on the train told him to put him in :lol:

Then about Mata he said:

"It has got to the stage where not only has Mata displayed remarkable professionalism, he is now playing as well for United as he did when Mourinho decided to sell him at Chelsea - which rather suggests to me that he has become saleable again and therefore may be the first in Mourinho's cull come the end of the season. Watch this space"

10 on 10 bantz.
He wasn't playing when Mourinho sold him?!

Charlie Foley

Reminds me a little of Mata and Kagawas performance against Newcastle away under Moyes where they linked up beautifully and tore Newcastle to shreds. Mata must be delighted there is another 'intelligent' player playing with him as their play is fantastic at times.
That was Mata Kagawa Januzaj in behind Hernandez wasn't it? :) Think we were resting players for the Champions League or something.

shield

Fantastic performance. Noticed that he ran a lot. Was constantly closing down players in the opposition half. And when we had the ball he was making excellent runs. He always does something to influence the attack when he gets the ball so having him there (along with Mikhi) made it so difficult for the Watford players.

His touch is very good. Like when he is closing down a player near the out line and the opposition player hits the ball on him, the ball does not ricochet out of play. It some how sticks to him and more often ends up in us winning back possession.

Slightly worried that he may not be able to keep up this work rate due to fatigue and the high number of matches we are about to play. He should be rotated and used for the really important matches.

Reactions: Penna

redflair

I think the Watford game was his best game for United.

I've always found him to be a highly talented but curiously underwhelming footballer.

As a player, he's like a delicatessen in the middle of a sea of 'super market' players who have a wider range to offer in terms of 'numbers' and multi-functional skills.

It's probably the reason his 'shop' closes early and he's always substituted.

But he shouldn't be. The three Ms, behind Zlatan, look to be our best option and should be our go-to men for the rest of the season.

Eddy_JukeZ

He should have buried that chance at 1-0. Thought he had time to take a touch instead of taking that 1st time.

Infuriating miss really. Seems we have 1 awful miss every game.

Devil may care

He made some great runs and had some lovely touches in the first half, missed his Armenian buddy to link with though, Fellaini was like an obstacle for him.

Rockets Redglare

He should have buried that chance at 1-0. Thought he had time to take a touch instead of taking that 1st time.

I'd hardly call it an awful miss, most players wouldn't have even connected with it.
His movement at times tonight was absolutely world class.

Sylar

His movement is so good. I do like him in 4231 more than 433 though.

Fracture90

He is nowhere near as effective without Miki in number 10 to interchange with.

He had that nice tho hard to score from opportunity and he did make a run or two.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
He made some great runs and had some lovely touches in the first half, missed his Armenian buddy to link with though, Fellaini was like an obstacle for him.
He is nowhere near as effective without Miki in number 10 to interchange with. He had that nice tho hard to score from opportunity and he did make a run or two.
Was immense again tonight and these posts are right on the money wrt Mkhi vs Felly

criticalanalysis

I missed the first 30mins, so only saw the last 15 and 2nd half but I thought he was poor.

Gets bullied on and off the ball far too easily. He doesn't really attempt to actually control and isolate any opposition with his touch/hold up play; it's always trying to find the first pass or give it another team mate. That can work when you're not getting pressed and there's team mates in his vicinity for one-twos but his lack of ability to lay it off/pass it forward under pressure is mind boggling bad at times. It's not physique but positioning of the body and mentality. If you want to control a ball and not get bullied you will stand your ground, ready to anticipate contact (not even tackles ffs, just shoulder pressure) and/or use your first touch/step to get away from the 'press'.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He is nowhere near as effective without Miki in number 10 to interchange with.

He had that nice tho hard to score from opportunity and he did make a run or two.
He clicks well with both Zlatan and Valencia. I don't think it's about him being less effective without Miki as it was Fellaini who took his place. Martial can always just put his head down and run at players but Mata offers different things with his runs and quick one-twos.

Whoa there Nelly. Many professional footballers can't even hit that ball. Coming from behind you and with a backspin. You thought he had time? Well, he had a split second to decide if he wanted to risk taking a touch when he could shoot uninterupted. Not shoot and he could have the keeper immediately down on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.