Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not as good as he once was and he won't do it every game... But that really was top banana.

Looked so comfortable in everything he was doing

edgecutter

Great performance. He is the definition of a squad player i.e. a guy that comes in and does a job unlike some of the other dross.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s actually had a relatively good season, fair play to him. The cross for Rashford’s first goal was outstanding.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
If he could somehow reinvent himself to use even less of his physical abilities, he could still be very useful. My only concern is in the bigger games it feels he has lost a bit of his reaction time.

Still he is one of the most creative players we've had. Brilliant technique and vision. It's a shame his peak years are forgotten by what has recently happened. Lovely today.

Machine Elements

Legs are temporary class is permanent. Even though his legs are gone he still has the brilliant passing ability, creativity and vision and technical quality. It's a shame he doesn't have the required physical qualities any more.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Excellent today.

The talent, technique, intelligence and attitude are still there, they're just in a constant struggle with his ever-increasing physical limitations. Every now and again they win out though and he suddenly looks a class above our other options.

Games like are exactly what I was hoping for from him when he signed the new contract. Irregular appearances in the right games and and against the right teams, where he can make a difference.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
When afforded time and space he still has the class to kill teams. The problem is that not every team gives that kind of luxury like Norwich did today. I'd still try to see if he could play the role Cazorla played at Arsenal before he broke his leg.

Roboc7

Been a waste of space all season but good game today, he’s better on RW as sometimes gets bit of space. For both assists he had time and space,he can’t play under pressure.

flappyjay

If he could play like he did in the first half against all the bottom half teams we would be in the top 4

RedIan

Great game, he is one player who has the ability to pick a killer pass. Lingard and Pierra would never make such pinpoint passes/crosses.
Mata is under rated and unfairly slated on this super critical forum. Yes he is slow but on his day he is a class technical player. MOTM for me, without him we wouldn’t have opened Norwich Up so often.

He'sRaldo

I said earlier in the season that we should play Mata to unlock deep-lying teams. Now I'm even considering adding Matic to that analysis, as he offers more than Scott on the ball.

Last edited:

KrasHammerhand

Still class, just doesn’t have the legs to play against the big boys. Really enjoyed his performance today

JMack1234

He's still a wonderfully intelligent and technically gifted footballer. We all know he hasn't got the legs but when he has a good game he's a joy.

Walters_19_MuFc

His best performances under Mourinho and Van Gaal came when he played as a right winger but has the freedom to cut inside. Feel it gives him more space than being at the 10 position, where it's normally congested. Today, he was able to more or less play a free role and dictate play. Great performance topped off with two gorgeous assists.

Nickelodeon

What has Lingard done to warrant a starting place over him? Not that Mata is performing any miracles but he’s seriously much better than Lingard.

Paul_Scholes18

What has Lingard done to warrant a starting place over him? Not that Mata is performing any miracles but he’s seriously much better than Lingard.
Against better teams Lingard can run and press more. That is how we won a few big games.

Nickelodeon

Against better teams Lingard can run and press more. That is how we won a few big games.
Seriously?! That is how we have won? It’s like a propaganda fed into people’s heads that Lingard runs around and presses. What are his ball recovery or successful tackle stats? And what about the numerous times we lose the ball because he can’t take a touch or control the ball? And that’s without going into the zero goals + assists stats.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Abundance talent. Unfortunately, he has no energy and strength needed to play against top opposition. Norwich were very open and gave too much time to Mata.

Paul_Scholes18

Seriously?! That is how we have won? It’s like a propaganda fed into people’s heads that Lingard runs around and presses. What are his ball recovery or successful tackle stats? And what about the numerous times we lose the ball because he can’t take a touch or control the ball? And that’s without going into the zero goals + assists stats.
Yes that is how we have won a few big games. Spurs, City and Chelsea. Lingard has also done well on the counter in those games. Particular against City. He has been poor after City for sure, but people go way over the top attacking him.
In teams that we dominate though he is pretty useless.

Nickelodeon

Yes that is how we have won a few big games. Spurs, City and Chelsea. Lingard has also done well on the counter in those games. Particular against City. He has been poor after City for sure, but people go way over the top attacking him.
In teams that we dominate though he is pretty useless.
I would love to believe you. Just show me any example of Lingard doing anything well in any of these games and I’ll believe you. Literally anything.

Amir

He's been horrific for so long, against good teams and bad, plays well for one match - against the worst side in the league, who can't defend at all - and people wonder why he doesn't play more.

Short memories.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's been horrific for so long, against good teams and bad, plays well for one match - against the worst side in the league, who can't defend at all - and people wonder why he doesn't play more.

Short memories.
He also played fairly well in the match before this, and in a couple of other games.

Against poorer teams at home he is definitely a viable starter.

jem

Short memories.
Or maybe people resist the temptation to give in to hyperbolic nonsense like describing Mata's play as horrific.

Mike Smalling

Great performance today and an excellent player to have, when we have to all the possession and have to break down the defense.

meninred

Mata has usually few games per season where he stands out. Mostly it is at home to smaller teams.

kundalini

Superb cross for the first goal and a decent cross for the 2nd. Our best player in the first half.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
There was plenty of space for Mata to thrive in yesterday, Norwich really didn't have much of the ball, but against teams like this, we can use Mata and Matic, Burnley, Watford, Palace, Bournemouth etc, probably no good against Pool, City, Chelsea, where we would be using more pace on the counter.

A-man

I think he is perfect for matches like this, where the opponent is dominated and creativity is needed to score goals.

Amir

He also played fairly well in the match before this, and in a couple of other games.

Against poorer teams at home he is definitely a viable starter.
He's actually not, unless they are also crap defensively and are stupid enough to give you space like Norwich are.

I don't think we'll face another PL side like this all season.

Icemav

I said earlier in the season that we should play Mata to unlock deep-lying teams. Now I'm even considering adding Matic to that analysis, as he offers more than Scott on the ball.
Thats my thinking too. We seem to have some personnel who better suit fast counters and others for controlling the play against defensive teams.

Ace of Spades

I have always been a fan of Mata, but he is not consistent enough to be relied on. As an experienced player, he should be having games like this more regularly, but usually he is very passive and safe with his passing.

flappyjay

I have always been a fan of Mata, but he is not consistent enough to be relied on. As an experienced player, he should be having games like this more regularly, but usually he is very passive and safe with his passing.
Thats my least favorite things about him. He suppose to be a creator but he is afraid of risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.