Current club:
Manchester United
Contract until: 30.06.2021
Contract option: Option for a further year
Date of last contract extension: Jun 19, 2019
Outfitter: Adidas​

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
This is the best role for him, he was pulling the strings in a central position.

Leading the younger players like Gomes, Greenwood etc. getting them in the game.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Please don't ever refer to Mata being slow again, unless you also mention Matic. He makes Mata look like Usain Bolt.

Anyone see the Mata interview on MUTV about why he wanted to stay at United?

Kostur

海尔的老板
You really have to start this negative shit? How about just praise Mata and let it be.
And what exactly is 'negative' in comparing two players one of which is far superior in a particular role? We've had two 45 minutes to see two different players in the same position and Mata has been far better than the manchild.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And what exactly is 'negative' in comparing two players one of which is far superior in a particular role? We've had two 45 minutes to see two different players in the same position and Mata has been far better than the manchild.
Well, referring to one of those players as "dab assistant" and "manchild" is fairly negative. :lol:

haram

Yeah and Lingard got 20 goals and assists the season he played at number 10. Hurr durr dab assistant hurr durr.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Anyway, Mata looked a composed, technically gifted player who plays better in a central role. Basically what we already know about him. His value to the squad is what it is.

Ace of Spades

Anyone see the Mata interview on MUTV about why he wanted to stay at United?
No, what did he say ??

Also, he was good as a 10 today. Nothing wrong with him as a squad player, and a good presence in the dressing room.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Great little magician when played as a CAM. What a surprise. Should've been played as one since he came to the club as he was also great for Chelsea in that position but he spent most of his time on the right wing here. Playing him as a RW or anything else than as a #10 is a waste for both him & the team.

kiristao

In games where teams will defend very deep, Mata will be more effective than Lingard in the No 10 role. Ole needs to use both of them depending on the situation.

Bwuk

If we are switching to 4231, the #10 will suit Mata. Excellent today.

Roboc7

Even as a number 10 I think he’s pretty average now, both him and Lingard and just stop gaps with different attributes but miles off the level of what is needed.

He’ll be useful at times next season but I’m not expecting him to be any more effective than come to expect.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Even as a number 10 I think he’s pretty average now, both him and Lingard and just stop gaps with different attributes but miles off the level of what is needed.

He’ll be useful at times next season but I’m not expecting him to be any more effective than come to expect.
He has a part to play off the field too. I think that played a big part in his getting a new contract.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He played well yesterday, he's a good player.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mata should be starting games (at #10) against opposition which are likely to defend deep. He and Pogba are the only players who can split such defences and the difference in our performance between the two halves proves that

el3mel

Was good yesterday. These slow paced with no pressure games suit him a lot as he can controls the ball and passes it around without much problem, but he's not going to have these kind of games a lot in PL anymore.

RoLo

I thought he played well yesterday. Linked well with Pogba and opened up their defence.

andeeeeyhart

I thought he was fine in that first half. Struggled with a few counters and wasn't involved hugely, but ultimately composed and passed well a few times in the final third.

He certainly doesn't deserve the scapegoating he received in the match thread.

Last edited:

El Jefe

Pointless and past it player.

You could see he didn't fit with that lineup. We need a dynamic player in that position not a passenger which is what Mata is now.

Roboc7

He’s firmly in the deadwood category and still think it’s odd he was given a new contract. Don’t see how playing him as a number 10 is going to make him play any better, in fact as saw often today he struggles with any kind of pressure and wider position is probably easier for him.

In second half Gomes showed much wider range of abilities but the game time will go to Mata whether he deserves it or not.

el3mel

Was good yesterday. These slow paced with no pressure games suit him a lot as he can controls the ball and passes it around without much problem, but he's not going to have these kind of games a lot in PL anymore.
Well, what I said the previous game.

Born2Lose

Said it last season and still think he's stealing a spot that should be going to a youth player.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In certain games (where the opposition is camped in front of their goal and we have all the ball) his technique, composure and experience are very valuable. In that sort of situation I'd want him on the pitch.

The more likely we are to have to counterattack though the more his physical limitations will tell.

Really though he's been kept so that we have the neccesary extra body and because he's the sort of experienced pro you want young players like Gomes learning from.

Web of Bissaka

Struggle vs a small team... lost the ball in dangerous deep positions 1-3 times when being heavy press.

Thankfully Romero and defensive supports are good this time.. and well, Leeds is Leeds.

No way he should be the starter nor regular. Like Lingard, at this rate, should fell down the pecking order, and give chances to others to stake their claim.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Without Zlatan in the team, Mata seems a perfect role model for players and a great advisor to younger generation, but that's pretty much it.

If Ole wants to play fast football, it's obvious Mata won't play full 90 minutes in a deadly tempo and someone has to emerge in his position, very soon.

Alabaster Codify7

We should never have renewed his contract, for me.

He'll take up valuable game time for younger, hungrier players come the start of the season. Ole will revert to familiarity once the PL starts and Mata will likely be preferred to all of the young lads in his position. I'd be shocked if Ole gambled and started the likes of Gomes, James, Greenwood over Mata in most league games.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He was cooked last season. Not sure why anyone is surprised and why he got a new contract.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We should never have renewed his contract, for me.

He'll take up valuable game time for younger, hungrier players come the start of the season. Ole will revert to familiarity once the PL starts and Mata will likely be preferred to all of the young lads in his position. I'd be shocked if Ole gambled and started the likes of Gomes, James, Greenwood over Mata in most league games.
That's the spirit.

I'd wager whoever impresses most in pre-season will get the nod, hence why he's giving everyone in contention equal game time to prove themselves. Based on what we know of Mata, the longer the pre-season wears on the less likely he'll be to retain his spot in the actual season.

Eddy_JukeZ

How he's still here is beyond me.

He should be nowhere near the team.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Pretty bad performance against Inter. What was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.