5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

I love the man, unhealthily so perhaps, but it's time to start VDB over him.

KetilOwren88

Mata is close to brilliant when the team is ticking and people are making runs. When the team is pedestrian like today, there is no use for him there. I like Mata, I think everyone does. I just wish he could be one of the players to raise the standars when needed instead of surfing on the wave..

Robaldo

Not his fault we've not addressed right Wing but I swear he is frustrating as feck.

Can't run, can't tackle, awfully weak. It seems the game is just too intense for him.
This, and it's been this way for three years at least.

How we've not addressed the right wing position is one of the mysteries of the universe.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This, and it's been this way for three years at least.

How we've not addressed the right wing position is one of the mysteries of the universe.
Praying this Diallo arriving in January is George Best reincarnated.

El Zoido

VDB straight swap would have been an immediate upgrade, despite it not really being VDB’s position. I got a lot of love for Juan but physically he cannot compete any more. We could get away with it if the opposition randomly decide not to mark players or press them or anything. It happens I guess, but I wouldn’t take the risk. Best in the league cup, for league games we need to be faster and more aggressive imo.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What he did was just 6/10. An alright performance but what we need is minimum 7/10 or 8/10 because he’s supposed to be the creative player especially in this type of game against the bottom team to unlock the defense but he offered nothing in creativity today. Bruno was the only one creative today, in fact, Matic was more creative than Mata today. We really need to upgrade that right side and find creative player to play in there.

stevoc

The armchair critics are out in force today it seems. Keep reading the usual crap about Mata when he is far from being the worst player on the pitch. His involvement lead to our goal, he made a few good runs, and he was solid when in the penalty area as usual. Not a great game by any means, but far from the mare being described in here.
Lets be fair here was there actually one post before yours commentating on yesterdays performance that claimed he was the worst player on the pitch?

he is far from being the worst player on the pitch.
And over the last decade i keep reading this and it must be the most repeated and by far the most useless phrase uttered in these performance threads since they were set up. It's a thread to discuss a particular player's most recent performance so if they happen to play poorly as Mata did last night. Then no one should be surprised when people are criticizing that players performance in their dedicated performance thread, as that is exactly what it is for.

If it was a thread titled ''Mata was by far the worst player on the pitch tonight'' or the majority (or anyone) in this thread were claiming that he was then it might be a valid point.

stevoc

He's the best of a bad list of options. Greenwood's ill so it's either Mata, Lingard or James.
Personally I’d prefer to see VDB starting over Mata. It’s not like Juan is providing any width anyway.

Or give the new South American kid a go even if he’s not 100% ready he’s got to be worth a try.

DRM

He's so weak, like a little teddy bear out there.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Personally I’d prefer to see VDB starting over Mata. It’s not like Juan is providing any width anyway.

Or give the new South American kid a go even if he’s not 100% ready he’s got to be worth a try.
He's looking a bit out of his depth at U23 level. Early days but he really is way far off first team. There are some brighter prospects than him that would be deserved of a place.

Devil77

Lets be fair here was there actually one post before yours commentating on yesterdays performance that claimed he was the worst player on the pitch?

And over the last decade i keep reading this and it must be the most repeated and by far the most useless phrase uttered in these performance threads since they were set up. It's a thread to discuss a particular player's most recent performance so if they happen to play poorly as Mata did last night. Then no one should be surprised when people are criticizing that players performance in their dedicated performance thread, as that is exactly what it is for.

If it was a thread titled ''Mata was by far the worst player on the pitch tonight'' or the majority (or anyone) in this thread were claiming that he was then it might be a valid point.
True, and you make valid points. However, the performance thread for Mata is often full of generalisations such as "He is too slow", "Too weak", "Should get rid of", "We should play X instead". But these statements are seldom backed up by any facts. You could have a bot creating "He is so slow/weak" posts randomly and noone would notice. I am just tired of the lazy criticism.

stevoc

True, and you make valid points. However, the performance thread for Mata is often full of generalisations such as "He is too slow", "Too weak", "Should get rid of", "We should play X instead". But these statements are seldom backed up by any facts. You could have a bot creating "He is so slow/weak" posts randomly and noone would notice. I am just tired of the lazy criticism.
Those two are fair criticisms though aren't they? He's clearly way past his best and for me he was never a right winger to begin with. Why he continues to play there and has done under 4 managers has been a major frustration for me these last 6 years.

Yeah obviously it would be great if every post was full of thoughtful insights and astute tactical analysis breaking down and explaining players bad performances but you don't get much of that in these threads lets be honest. These threads are often just a place for fans to vent their frustrations about players performances when they play badly.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
33 touches, the smallest number for the team bar De Gea, for comparison Matic 94, Fred 61, Fernandes 82.
0 shots, 0 dribbles, 0 aerials, 0 tackles (the only other player with 0 tackles was Martial), dispossessed 3 times (highest of all United players).
link

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
33 touches, the smallest number for the team bar De Gea, for comparison Matic 94, Fred 61, Fernandes 82.
0 shots, 0 dribbles, 0 aerials, 0 tackles (the only other player with 0 tackles was Martial), dispossessed 3 times (highest of all United players).
link
40 touches... 5 more then Martial had by the time he came off, and 5 less then Rashford... so pretty much in line with the other attackers. I don't think he was good or anything, but the thing he had over both of those two was he was actually showing decent movement at times, plus he was the reason we won the penalty... which was a pretty big deal come the end of the game. So yeah, not good but not the worst... problem with Mata is he always looks at his best when everyone else is playing well (and at that time we generally look great)... when everyone's shit though he generally struggles along with them.

Toni Roncoroni

Good post! I think Juan is lost when we are playing so static without any movement around him. He was never the quickest player but is a quick thinker and he is good on the ball in tight areas. As we are playing without any movement he is lost on the right as he isn‘t quick enough or strong enough to beat an opponent in a duel. Our team is moving like a big tank with no positional changes, runs , surprises or whatever when we are attacking. That‘s why he looks lost as he can‘t show his qualtities. The problem is not Juan, the problem is our style of play which is just so annoying.

SAFMUTD

Last year of contract, It wouldn't surprise me if we give him an extension. Thats just how we roll, keep giving contracts to average players and then complain about having deadwood.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Last year of contract, It wouldn't surprise him if we give him an extension. Thats just how we roll, keep giving contracts to average players and then complain about having deadwood.
Of course we'll give him an extension. He's been our first choice right winger for years. He'll grow old with us and will be transformed to right back.

el3mel

Put on a great performance when he's called on. Unreal pass for the 3rd goal.

acnumber9

Played well even forgetting the assist. Gets the ball and gets it moving.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
One of those pieces of art that is just timeless. Might not be as trendy or cool like some modern pieces but in its light, it will always be quality.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Has been contributing exactly what a squad player should be contributing this season and continued it today.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The weight on that 3rd pass was incredible. Just right.

Even without that, he adds a lot of composure to the side when we're all over the place

T_Model101

Came on, played a magnificent pass to assist for a goal....
Redcafe average rating 6.8....
Totally underappreciated player on here

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The weight on that 3rd pass was incredible. Just right.

Even without that, he adds a lot of composure to the side when we're all over the place
Something else... He absolutely smashed that pass, but the way it held up...

SAFMUTD

He's doing his job as a squad player. I'd get rid of a few others before I get rid of him.
He's on 160K per week, out 6th best paid player just after De Gea, Pogba, Martial, Rashford and Maguire. You don't pay someone that much to be a squad player. For reference Bruno is on 100K per week.

I dont take anything from him, he has done his job when called. But he's on a clear decline and it would be a mistake to give him a new contract.

Chicharito_

Did he hit that pass into the floor for the assist?

Ridiculous talent if so..

Rossa

He's on 160K per week, out 6th best paid player just after De Gea, Pogba, Martial, Rashford and Maguire. You don't pay someone that much to be a squad player. For reference Bruno is on 100K per week.

I dont take anything from him, he has done his job when called. But he's on a clear decline and it would be a mistake to give him a new contract.
It might, just might, be possible to offer him less money.

lex talionis

Classy footballer. Brilliant contribution today. Whether to extend his contract is an interesting question we can’t answer yet.

Robaldo

I've been the first to criticise, and don't think he's good enough for this level, but outstanding pass for the Rashford goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.