Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I’d still love to have a young player in his mould, feel the team really lacks a technical wizard but ideally has Bernardo Silva’s work rate and ball retention. These types of players like David Silva, Modric and Fabregas we never seem to sign which is sad since we grew up on the likes of Giggs and Scholes. Here’s hoping Sancho can improve…

arthurka

I just hate what we did to him and offered him during his time here. Deserved so much better. Special player

united for life

Juan Mata reveals he has a conversation pending with Erik ten Hag before making a decision on his future: "I will see when we speak how we feel, what his ideas are, after that a decision will be made." @lauriewhitwell

i would surely not mind him staying. In a project including youngsters, you need mature players like Mata to help them adapt, plus he is actually he good player who I think can still contribute tactically. I hate that his game time has reduced over the last couple of years, this made us look stupid on the pitch given we don’t have a lot of good tactical players

L1nk

Juan Mata reveals he has a conversation pending with Erik ten Hag before making a decision on his future: "I will see when we speak how we feel, what his ideas are, after that a decision will be made." @lauriewhitwell

i would surely not mind him staying. In a project including youngsters, you need mature players like Mata to help them adapt, plus he is actually he good player who I think can still contribute tactically. I hate that his game time has reduced over the last couple of years, this made us look stupid on the pitch given we don’t have a lot of good tactical players
I like his attitude and actually think he’s one of the players likely to depart that actually would be decent in a Ten Hag team.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Great quotes from Mata. And to think he actually came into the club when it was run incompetently across all departments and hasn't known any different since.

The U23 role has become available hasn't it? I'm not sure where he's at in terms of coaching badges and whatnot but maybe he could take up a position like that.

DON’T PANIC ™

I think he’s a great guy, but we need to get rid of all the dead wood. He clearly hasn’t been at his best for a good few seasons now. We need to focus on the future, Juan is part of the past.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
His best days came under LVG. I wouldn't be against in giving him another year.

Smores

It's a shame he and Matic weren't more imposing. Their maturity has always shone through but I don't think they ever took control of the dressing room.

He might say the right things but I'm not sure he'd be much use in truth. A bit-part player is limited in their influence.

Hope the club find something for him though.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would be against giving him another year.
I like him and would like him stay around the place but in another capacity.

Seems like every time ,during the close season, we always have numerous comments like 'I wouldn't mind him staying on for another year'.
Like, no. Let go.
Friggin Ground hog day.

Red00012

His best days came under LVG. I wouldn't be against in giving him another year.
This is why you aren’t a manager . Let’s give a good fella around the dressing room another year when it’s clear he’s not up to the pace of the PL anymore.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Great quotes from Mata. And to think he actually came into the club when it was run incompetently across all departments and hasn't known any different since.

The U23 role has become available hasn't it? I'm not sure where he's at in terms of coaching badges and whatnot but maybe he could take up a position like that.
Whilst I agree that it would be a boon for the club to retain his services in an appropriate capacity when he's retired, this type of thinking is completely flawed. You don't jump into what is now a very successful youth setup over the last 2 years, with no coaching experience and/or experience of working with young players.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I like his attitude and actually think he’s one of the players likely to depart that actually would be decent in a Ten Hag team.

What a brilliant interview. Make him Director of Football! I’m sick and tired of players thinking they’re doing us all a favour playing for Manchester United - it’s the other way around. If you don’t want to be here - feck off.

SNes

Another year of Mata doing nothing let's give him more years.

LDUred

Mata has been an excellent player and remains a dependable professional but can't help feeling that his time is up here. While it's great to hear of his determination and love for MUFC, he's clearly no longer up to the rigours of the EPL and the breathless pace this physical style of football demands. True, in his first four seasons he was one of our best forwards, but he no longer has anywhere near the same influence, despite still having that wand of a left foot which curled in many a free kick or swept home some memorable goals.

Both he and Matic would be better served by looking for moves abroad to Italy or even Spain.

It sounds kind of callous to players who have always come across as a model professionals, but we have to face facts and neither he nor Matic should be part of any revamp in the playing sense. Thanks for the memories, but it is time to move on. Of course, the club should be keen to keep him around if he wants to pass on his knowledge in a coaching capacity.

Last edited:

Bwuk

I love Mata but move him on. We’ve got a huge squad as is.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mata has been stealing a living from Man Utd for the past few years.He should shut up and leave.
For once I agree with you. The irony of a man who has not been “up for the task” for the past 3 seasons talking about how the club needs to get rid of those players. :lol:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I think we were all hoping that Mata would eventually move into that role that David Silva used to play. It’s a shame he couldn’t. I think it’s best he moves on and his minutes are given to an academy product.

El Jefe

The Mata fan club at it again. He's been as useful as Phil Jones the last 3yrs but sure let's give hime a 1 year extension because he's a nice guy.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Nice guy but it's time to finally move on, around 5 years too late.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I'd offer him a new deal. One year, pay as you play type deal.

There's about twelve to fifteen players who can leave before him on my opinion.

Like to see him play under Ten Hag to be honest. If Tadic can look like R9 under him, Mata is a better player than him ffs.

Trex

Finally a manager that suit his style of football, may be too little too late.

Tavern in the town

You never really see him mentioned as a flop but he really was. 37m in 2014 was a huge sum of money and he’s never looked like one of the best players in the world for us.

SAF is the GOAT

Some Interesting Bits from the article:

- “From a manager point of view, winning will come closer when you bring the best out of every single player in the squad; the ones who play more, the ones who play less,” says Mata. “And, unfortunately, I don’t think that has happened this season. For me, that is a big problem, rather than the specifics of tactics or whatever."

- "What I do know is that being at Manchester United, this club needs first-class individuals for each department. That is how I understand Manchester United. This club should be top of the class in every department, on pitch or off. "

- “That’s what I hope for in the near future, otherwise you cannot compete with clubs who are doing very good things with a certain identity and professionalism in the way they make decisions."

- "I don’t understand this club without having first-class individuals for each department.”

- On What went wrong this season : "Certain standards were not met. Whether that’s attitude, level of training, off the pitch, which doesn’t include players, we haven’t been good enough. "

-“We need a reset in the culture of the club. That’s how I feel. The standards, what it means to represent this club to any player, what entitles you to play for Manchester United, what is expected on the pitch and off the pitch."

- On Ten Hag : "I have heard he is very methodical in the way he approaches games, he is very focused and serious on the matter. He wants to win but in a certain way. I just hope, honestly from inside of me, whether or not I am here with him, he can implement that, can be true to himself, and win trophies with this great club."

- On Cristiano : "Cristiano does a very logical thing over a holiday, he invests his energy, his effort and his time in his well-being. I mean, it makes total sense to try to be the best you can be in your body and mind, not only to play football, but to live a healthier and better life. That’s what he does." "it has been a great experience to get to know him better, to train with him and to see also how he understands football. I have had many conversations with him about football."

- On Bruno : "Bruno is football sick,” Mata laughs. “Sometimes I tell him, ‘You’re too heavy, shut up!’. With Bruno I speak a lot about football, he knows a lot of players, he knows everything, kind of like Ander Herrera was.”

- On Renewing last season for a year : "When we made the signings we made I genuinely felt, ‘We are gonna really compete to win the Premier League now’. That’s why I renewed, I wanted to be part of that. One of the things I always say: winning a massive trophy with Manchester United would be an incredible feeling after being here for so many years"

- He has lifted three trophies — the FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League — and scored 51 goals in 284 appearances, including two in a cherished victory at Anfield.

- He reveals he has “a conversation pending” with Ten Hag and could stay. “I will see when we speak how we feel, what his ideas are, after that a decision will be made.”

- Mata is doing his coaching badges with others such as Fernandes, Harry Maguire and Phil Jones.

- On his time at United : "Am proud of my time here. I didn’t always play good, and had bad times. I was frustrated with myself for that. But I’m proud because disregarding who was in charge, disregarding the style they had, fitting or not for me, I tried to adapt. I am honest and I think I did the best I could under the circumstances."

izec

He can stay on in another role if he wants to stay, not as a footballer. Alternatively, i hope he comes back in a couple of years and starts coaching in our youth setup if he is up for it.

mewnew11

I'd offer him a new deal. One year, pay as you play type deal.

There's about twelve to fifteen players who can leave before him on my opinion.

Like to see him play under Ten Hag to be honest. If Tadic can look like R9 under him, Mata is a better player than him ffs.
Mata and the counter press :lol:

Dannn411

Nice guy but absolutely must not be a player at the club next season if this club is truly serious about changing for the better.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Dont mind if he stays, and obviously I'm biased as I absolutely love the man.

Considering we're planning to sell/release 10-12 odd players, and the serious lack in depth in the forward positions, I dont think it'd be as bad a choice if he does stay for another year.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
For once I agree with you. The irony of a man who has not been “up for the task” for the past 3 seasons talking about how the club needs to get rid of those players. :lol:
And people lap it up. It seems all you have to do nowadays at United is being likeable and playing as little as possible and fans treat you well. Nice guy, club record signing, failed transfer, now please leave, full stop.

Caesar2290

For those who say he's been stealing a living: he already took a pay cut on his last extension.

Every time he played this season he actually looked pretty decent. Quiet a few decent link ups during the matches as well. He seems to be on the same wavelength as Bruno and Matic(the few good passers that we have at the club) He has a very good attitude as which I can't say for most of our players sadly. He also knows how to play in a possesion based football and is our best set piece taker.

I'd keep him.

I imagine ETH will want all the help he can get in implementing his possession based system, and Mata might be more like player coach type thing.

The thing with Mata is you have to use him as a squad player and play him every 7-10 days, otherwise his legs are gone. Even so, he relies more on intelligence than pace, so he can play the Giggs role in our squad(minus the missus shagging).

On a sidenote: this is a pretty damning assessment of RR:

- On What went wrong this season : "Certain standards were not met. Whether that’s attitude, level of training, off the pitch, which doesn’t include players, we haven’t been good enough. "

Based Adnan

Great guy and said the right things in the interview but if he stays another year I give up. He should have been moved on years ago.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Feels like Groundhog Day with some of the replies in here.

Mata seems like a wonderful, honest guy with an admirable work ethic and a good head on his shoulders. His time with us as a player is up though - there's no reason to keep him for yet another year.

acnumber9

Mata has been stealing a living from Man Utd for the past few years.He should shut up and leave.
Not exactly his fault managers haven’t picked him. When he’s played he’s always done his best. There’s plenty of players that deserve ire, he isn’t one of them.

DutchCruijff

We could do with him staying around another season. He can fill in as a #10 too.

Bar Ronaldo and Sancho, the rest of our forwards are now Rashford, Martial and Elanga. On a good day, he is better than all 3 of them.

But would have to be a relatively cheap contract and we would STILL have to purchase another #9 and Winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.