Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If we're going to throw him in at a time like that, it makes you think why he's got so little game time before.

If you think he's good enough to impact a game of this magnitude, play him more. It's not like the alternatives are doing anything even if Mata stinks the place up.

PoTMS

He is everything wrong with United personified. Nice enough guy but he should not be on the bench, let alone playing games for United on the big stage. Today's appearance was about as strange as Powell against Wolfsburg.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Absolutely shouldn't be playing for us any more but, simultaneously, was as good an option as we had to bring on at that point. Which says a lot.

Also fact that he has featured so little has meant he hasn't had a chance to actively aggravate me this season. So bonus points there.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He is everything wrong with United personified. Nice enough guy but he should not be on the bench, let alone playing games for United on the big stage. Today's appearance was about as strange as Powell against Wolfsburg.
When you can say that after that sub appearance by Rashford then I can't really take it seriously.

He was our 2nd best sub tonight... Which says more about the rest then him, but still.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Always had a lot of time for Mata, but his tenure at OT has been up for a while. I can see why Rangnick brought him on, but we didn't have a midfield to back him up, and get him into the areas where he can create something.
Hannibal should get his spot on the bench I feel, will do him more good than Mata.

Castia

Barely kicked a ball in 12 months (whilst pocketing 100k+ a week) yet gets thrown in to turn a huge European tie? embarrassing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Better than Rashford. We should have play him more as super sub than Rashford. Mata knows how to pass the ball at least.

Cro

In a well run club he would have been gone two years ago due to his even more declining athleticism, but I still had more faith in him finding a pass through that Atlético defense, than from any other sub.

Also he was one of the only players, who was interested in taking a quick free kick and playing football near the end. Tells a lot about the state we are in, but also that he has the right mentality and probably is one of the few players in this team who is real professional and a classy person.

Bwuk

Let’s be honest, he’s a better option off the bench than Rashford atm

flameinthesun

I started laughing when I saw him subbed on
As a hail mary surely subbing on a youngster like Mejbri who has energy, fight and would try to attack the game would make more sense than subbing on Mata at that stage. Its one area I am critical of Ralf, imagine Fergie instead fo subbing on Macheda he put on his version of Mata.

Oranges038

It was like a pub team throwing on the lad who used to be good because he might just do something.

Josh 76

It was like a pub team throwing on the lad who used to be good because he might just do something.
It was more like a pub team who just saw one their old players walking the dog, and asked him to help out!

united for life

it’s a shame how he was treated over the last 2 years. Sidelined with almost no game time. He is not 50,. Had he had more play time, I am sure he would have kept match fitness and contributed to the team. Not as a regular starter, but at least as a rotation player to rest bruno. We renewed his contract and gave him front row seats to games, no game time. That is stupid

VanDeBank

Ma’am
it’s a shame how he was treated over the last 2 years.
No other club on the planet would pay him what we have these last 2 years.
Maybe he shouldve gotten a bit more game time and maybe that's what Ole promised him, but he's been fairly compensated.

Sylar

its come full circle.

Remember that time he was playing well in a must win CL game and LVG took him off for Nick freakin Powell, who had like ten minutes of game time?

Well now, a must win game in the CL, and Mata comes on in a situation everybody knew would make no difference.

united for life

No other club on the planet would pay him what we have these last 2 years.
Maybe he shouldve gotten a bit more game time and maybe that's what Ole promised him, but he's been fairly compensated.
you are taking this out of context. I said he could’ve been used as a rotation player and it was stupid to give him a contract and not play him. I literally said that..

VanDeBank

Ma’am
you are taking this out of context. I said he could’ve been used as a rotation player and it was stupid to give him a contract and not play him. I literally said that..
Yeah I agree with most of what you said. He's been misused, not mistreated.

James Peril

Yesterday someone at work started to talk ablut dial-up modems and I laughed to myself, those were the days. When I saw him come on, I got that strange feeling, some kind of deja vu. Seriously, Juan Mata is 45 years old now and really shouldn’t be playing for Manchester United in the CL when we need a goal.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
it’s a shame how he was treated over the last 2 years. Sidelined with almost no game time. He is not 50,. Had he had more play time, I am sure he would have kept match fitness and contributed to the team. Not as a regular starter, but at least as a rotation player to rest bruno. We renewed his contract and gave him front row seats to games, no game time. That is stupid
Yes I agree, he is a quality player who we should have been using more, not less. The lack of opportunities has accelerated his decline in a major way.

GuyfromAustria

Just checked, the last time he played over 2000 minutes in the Premier League (which isn't even 60% of a full season) was in 2015/16.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just checked, the last time he played over 2000 minutes in the Premier League (which isn't even 60% of a full season) was in 2015/16.
It's actually mental. He's had the cosiest job in the PL for years on end.

Sylar

Unlikely....:lol:
Guess gotta cover your bases in case we are silly enough to give him one thinking its a cheaper option than actually going into the market (not that hes actually a key figure or anything)

Yesterday someone at work started to talk ablut dial-up modems and I laughed to myself, those were the days. When I saw him come on, I got that strange feeling, some kind of deja vu. Seriously, Juan Mata is 45 years old now and really shouldn’t be playing for Manchester United in the CL when we need a goal.
Its kinda crazy, hes only 33. He certainly should have either been moved on or given more minutes. One of the two. Instead we did neither.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Seven years ago! Time flies when you're having very little fun.

Xanther

Weird to think that the 3 Chelsea boys, Lukaku, Mata and Matic each played more for Utd than Chelsea. I still think of them as Chelsea guys

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Weird to think that the 3 Chelsea boys, Lukaku, Mata and Matic each played more for Utd than Chelsea. I still think of them as Chelsea guys
Yep, I've always felt like that with Mata. He's now been here over triple the amount of time he was at Chelsea (8 and a half seasons compared to 2 and a half), but I still think of him more as a Chelsea player. Actually maybe that's finally starting to fade now, but it was certainly true for me 2 or so seasons ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.