Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He lost his place at Chelsea because Mourinho preferred Oscar, whose subsequent career has hardly been an endorsement of that preference.

The issue with him here wasn't that he was past it at 25, or not good enough, or suddenly unsuited for the PL despite having already done well in the PL at that point. He was just one of many square pegs in round holes our permanently identity-less team signed. Certain types of teams he would have suited, others he wouldn't have, but we were never firmly one or the other. Good but not great player in the wrong club at the wrong time.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Every time this thread gets bumped, I open it half expecting to read about a contract extension.
I like him but it’s time to move on for everyone involved

However, given the high amount of players we’d likely miss this summer I am afraid that we might extend his contract by 1 year to spend less on acquiring an additional squad player. Especially given the fact that we’d still want him to be a club ambassador when he retires
Totally hypothetical question (that won't happen) - but say ETH ordered the club to extend him because he wants him around for whatever reason - how would you feel about that?

Revaulx

Agree, the issue with Mata it was another classic Woodward/ MUFC signing. Why did Chelsea wnat to sell, was he really suited to Premier league? Did we have the right team around him to make it work for him (same question for Pogba). How did he fit into our football style and philosophy. We can no more answer these questions now any more than when we signed him

It was a panicked signing to paper over the cracks of the moyes era that were already massively apparent. Remember Moyes the same idiot who passed on Thiago to sign Fellani.
The bigger idiocy was Moyes seemingly having forgotten how effective Fellaini had been at Everton in that "attacking destroyer" role, and trying to play him as some sort of DM at United.

Gordon Godot

He was great at Chelsea but as with Matic we bought him when he was in decline and they wanted to get rid.
HE was 25 when we bought him so he was not in decline. They sold as his lack of pace didnt suit how Mourinho wanted to play. Same we didnt have any idea why we were signing him or how he fitted in.

Idxomer

We should've moved on from signing a #10 after he had failed but for some reason, we never stopped.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was already on his way down when we signed him, he wasn't even a first choice regular at Chelsea in that final season. We paid £37.5m for him in 2014 (a club record), he played under 5 separate managers as @Samid stated, and has about a handful of memorable performances altogether.

Why is it our fault he failed and no accountability to the player himself? He could have also have left plenty of times over, but he chose to sat on his arse and do hug blogs for a bit.

Really weird rewriting of history with Juan Mata recently. I guess nostalgia bait is crazy.
Wasn’t he dropped by Chelsea because Jose didn’t think he was physical enough? It wasn’t down to form as people questioned what the feck was going on.

Still though, he’s been at the club for 7 years and there’s barely any memories of his time here. Whether it’s the club or his fault, it’s a shockingly bad time here for such a talented footballer.

I never thought he was a proper United player due to his lack of pace. I wasn’t that excited when we signed him, but he should have offered way more than he has

Onerealunited

Totally hypothetical question (that won't happen) - but say ETH ordered the club to extend him because he wants him around for whatever reason - how would you feel about that?
i wouldn’t like the situation as I would prefer we spent his spot to play one of the youngsters. There might be something he is offering outside of the games which no other players offers but that I wouldn’t know. Again, I like him but I think his time with us should stop now for everyone’s best

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He didn't *fail* anymore than others did during the duration of his stay.
Just what the state of the club has been, no one succeeds.

Jericho

I don't mind if he stays, it's not going to have much impact either way. He's basically the modern day David May.

diarm

Depends when that decision was made. If he kept him on through the summer, worked with him in preseason and then offered him a new deal once he'd spent time with him then fine.

If he was asking us to keep him now, as some people seem to be suggesting he is with De Gea, then I'd question how he's making an informed decision?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Depends when that decision was made. If he kept him on through the summer, worked with him in preseason and then offered him a new deal once he'd spent time with him then fine.

If he was asking us to keep him now, as some people seem to be suggesting he is with De Gea, then I'd question how he's making an informed decision?
Probably through just watching us and through Rangnicks reports (which would make sense for De Gea I guess?)

Whilst I'm not sure thats actually how things are happening - I do think ETH will put a lot of weight into what Rangnick has to say about players/the team.

diarm

Probably through just watching us and through Rangnicks reports (which would make sense for De Gea I guess?)

Whilst I'm not sure thats actually how things are happening - I do think ETH will put a lot of weight into what Rangnick has to say about players/the team.
That is the whole reason for Rangnick coming in as interim and staying on as consultant to give a big picture view over the manager I guess.

I have been a big advocate for that big picture thinking, so I guess it would be hypocritical of me to complain now just because I don't want to see guys like De Gea and Mata get new contracts.

If Rangnick and Ten Hag area already in contact, are discussing plans for the style of play and squad Ten Hag wants for next season and are making contract decisions based on that, then I'm perfectly happy to trust the process.

If it's just more helter-skelter, throwing mud at a wall and hoping it sticks decision making, made by various individuals within the club, without any clear plan or internal communication - then I'll be pissed off.

The problem is that only time will tell us which of the two it is. Half the fans have no faith that the sensible, progressive direction is finally being taken behind the scenes and the other half, who delight in telling everybody else to be patient and have faith, have been saying the exact same things for a decade while the walls were burning down around them.

Zoo

Shows more fight then teammates double his size.

Oranges038

It's a sad day when it takes an aging legless Mata to get a bit of urgency into the game.

Tells you how far off it the rest of them are.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
My current enjoyment of Man Utd comes from a) Ronaldo goals and b) 10 minute Juan Mata cameos

I really hope he starts vs Brentford.

Zlatan Ibrahomovic

Should start the next game to be fair. Smart, intelligent. Can move the ball around. Makes himself available.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Had a great game for by our standards.
I think everyone loves him here, what a shame how his career turned out for us.

AdNani

He's one of the few players in the squad with the Technical ability to play at the top top level, just a shame he hasn't got the legs anymore.

probably should of been sold a few years ago but he's a likeable guy as well

El Jefe

I've probably been one of his most vocal critics but what does it say when he's been one of our better performers recently when he's come on.

Kudos to him for not giving up and trying.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good lad is Juan. Hopefully he plays a lot wherever he goes to in the summer.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Between managers not playing him, playing him in the wrong position and the misfortune of playing with this shower of shit he's wasted what should of been a lot better career.

Red Rash

He's one of the few players in the squad with the Technical ability to play at the top top level, just a shame he hasn't got the legs anymore.

probably should of been sold a few years ago but he's a likeable guy as well
Yea on the ball, Mata is one of the only players we have that can keep hold of it in tight spaces and under pressure alongside Sancho, Matic and Pogba when he is in the mood. Shame he isn't 10 years younger and quicker

DevTheRed

One of the only players in the squad I actually feel sorry for. Class player, class bloke.. his prime years deserved so much more.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
No one can tell me he shouldn't have been playing more this season - he's not quick, so what, his brain is. He makes a bloody sight more effort than most of them. It's not like we can pick many out of the squad who actually gives more than Mata ever has - sick of watching them standing around waiting for the ball to arrive rather than going to it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Should be starting the next match. Did more in 5 minutes than Fernandes or Rashford managed in 90.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I’ve a lot of love for Mata, top guy and a silky smooth player. He’s been badly treated this last 2 years. Really could have used him more as an impact sub.
Highlights how poor we are when he is the one putting in the challenges and getting about the park a bit

Bwuk

Never understood why he wasn’t given a chance in a midfield 3.

AdNani

Between managers not playing him, playing him in the wrong position and the misfortune of playing with this shower of shit he's wasted what should of been a lot better career.
will never understand why we bought one of the most productive 10's in the league and played him wide right.

Jezpeza

Dont think his perceived lack of pace or physicality needed to be a problem but we tried to play him wide. It made sense to sell him at the time for chelsea because they had Oscar and Hazard playing there at that time. It was a good fee for a decent player that they didnt need.

we just never used him properly. He's definitely a brilliant football brain. But time for him to move on

acnumber9

When our more physically gifted players aren’t actually using their physicality I don’t understand why we can’t play Mata who at least is a footballer. The game has taken a sad turn with the obsession with physicality and pressing.

Reactions: Livvie

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
will never understand why we bought one of the most productive 10's in the league and played him wide right.
Especially as he's a left footed player

led_scholes

He definitely deserved more minutes the last 2 years. Should have been our first sub at the 70 minute almost every game.

Rossa

When our more physically gifted players aren’t actually using their physicality I don’t understand why we can’t play Mata who at least is a footballer. The game has taken a sad turn with the obsession with physicality and pressing.
who are these physical players? Rangnick didn’t complain about technical ability, but physicality. We are slow all over thenputch and we lose every duel out there, against any team.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Deserves more minutes. Puts in a good effort whenever he's come on, and is still our most intelligent player

Reactions: Livvie
Status
Not open for further replies.