Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
"Manchester United have offered to renew us, we are very happy," he told Cadena SER.

"But there are proposals from Champions League teams.

"Spain, maybe, but today is not the day to talk, it is not yet decided."

Those are apparently quotes from last night available in various media outlets (read them first on l'Equipe), love Mata but it's time to part ways. Why would the club offer him a deal ?

Based Adnan

The fact we even offered a renewal is a joke. Should be let go with our well wishes.

Havak

Pokemon master
He's on £140k a week, it's too much for what he offers us and his role in the squad. He is less important than Lingard who is on £100k. He would have to be offered around £100k to stay which is IMO a generous offer. If he can get more elsewhere and more first-team football while still playing in Europe, then fair play to him. I don't think he can stay at United, earn more money and play much more football. If that happens then we are going even further backwards, regardless of how many of us like Mata as a person and a player.

Personally, I think we need to phase out Mata, Sanchez, and Lukaku over the next couple of seasons as combined wages is pushing around £700k a week, unless the latter two suddenly improve.

Edit: The only reason I'd keep Mata for the next season is if Sanchez is the one to go and Herrera also leaves. Keeping him is the right call if we lose, for example, Sanchez, Herrera, Darmian, Valencia, and Rojo. I don't think we'd be able to bring in six players when we're receiving next to no transfer fees in return (three of them would leave on a free and the others wouldn't exactly bring in extraordinary funds).

MadMike

Yeah we should just release all our players so we have nobody next year...
From Mata to everyone, is a bit of leap isn't it? We have 4 players who are out of contract in the summer; Mata, Herrera, Darmian and Valencia.

We arguably need to sign players in their respective positions already. We can do without renewing their services.

Saffron

Yeah we should just release all our players so we have nobody next year...
Pep got rid of 13 players his first season with Barcelona.

I’m sorry but we’re not in less need of a revolution than they were then.

Havak

Pokemon master

Mass exodus rarely works and it's never been the way United does it. Especially in this day and age where it costs far too much money to build a squad - it doesn't happen in a season, ever, anywhere, any more. It's as simple as that.

People don't like Young, Smalling, Jones, Matic, and probably many more of our squad but it is an absolute nailed on guarantee some of them will still be here in 2-3 years. It's a process and we'll have to accept it.

His game time should go to Pereira - we shouldn't be renewing his deal. What is wrong with this club?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One of football's loveliest, impossible to dislike players, but he's never quite fit us.

Ole's early run of games suggested we were going to play high intensity, pace and pressing, which Mata could not possibly fit in with.
If we renew it does sound worrying, as it smacks of protecting assets, and reducing what we need to buy in, rather than doing what's best overall.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
From Mata to everyone, is a bit of leap isn't it? We have 4 players who are out of contract in the summer; Mata, Herrera, Darmian and Valencia.

We arguably need to sign players in their respective positions already. We can do without renewing their services.
Players likely to leave - Valencia, Darmian, Herrera
Players that could well leave - Sanchez, Rojo, Mata, Bailly/Jones(?)

That's 6/7 players... Considering we probably won't buy more then 4 (maybe 5 at a push) we need to keep a few.

And he bought 5 players, and one of those was feckin' Hleb! You can't really compare our squad with that Barca squad either.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Mass exodus rarely works and it's never been the way United does it. Especially in this day and age where it costs far too much money to build a squad - it doesn't happen in a season, ever, anywhere, any more. It's as simple as that.

People don't like Young, Smalling, Jones, Matic, and probably many more of our squad but it is an absolute nailed on guarantee some of them will still be here in 2-3 years. It's a process and we'll have to accept it.
Didn't take Pep long to get it right where ever he has been. We have been treading water since Sir Alex left.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

He got rid of 22 players since becoming boss of citeh.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
As long as he won't block possibility of quality players joining... he's slowly becoming borderline average these days and it's not looking good for team's already f*cked up balance.

EDIT: Being better than Young and Jones is not that proud of an achievement, so Ole better be honest with himself, board and most of all supporters.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Jeffthered

Listen, we have to move players like this on. Fellani had to go.. love the guy, but had to go.. Mata the same. Always be remembered for his 2-1 over the Pool'.. but he lacks what we need to really power on.

He deserves more starts somewhere. But i don't feel sympathy for him... what a lifestyle he has. Good luck to him, genuinely.

passing-wind

Disgrace if true, should be shown the door we do not cater to his strengths, use the wage bill in a more beneficial way

Havak

Pokemon master
He got rid of 22 players since becoming boss of citeh.
I said rarely, but it seems to be what Pep gets where he goes, which is probably what determines where he goes. It's a completely different debate with Pep and the vast majority of other managers IMO.

If we were to let go all of the six currently in question and sign five like is touted, we'll be spending close to £300m and be lucky to get more than £50m in return from player sales. I can see us doing a similar process over three seasons with Ole, sure. But getting rid of almost a squad's worth of players in two years is absolutely not happening, we won't be spending ridiculous sums like £500m in the Summer. All I'm saying is people have to accept that and select squad players are going to be given new deals for this reason.

The hope is that these deals are economical for the club, because the likes of Phil Jones who signed a new deal and Mata who has an offer should not be improving the deals they have based on what they have done for us.

Saffron

No, the exact opposite, I'm saying Barca's was miles better - thus it was easier for him to let go of a ton of players (because they already had the quality in the squad)

Our squad is not that deep, and we're not going to sign more then 5 players in one window.
Fair enough, I can see where you’re coming from then.

I just wish you’d make your case for why we should keep a declining 31 year old who’s comfortably in the bottom half of our squad in terms of current ability. Instead of just dropping a sarcastic oneliner.

Raw

It wouldn't really harm our squad too much if he left, not like he's playing a lot under Ole anyway. Especially if we're bringing in another attacking player this summer, plus we can give some minutes to youth players.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It wouldn't really harm our squad too much if he left, not like he's playing a lot under Ole anyway. Especially if we're bringing in another attacking player this summer, plus we can give some minutes to youth players.
And Mata would play more elsewhere. Win-win for everyone.

dove

Obviously this is a reference to the amount of players we'll probably be letting go this summer - didn't really think that had to spelled out.
Most of the players rumoured to leave barely play any part in the team. Valencia, Darmian and Rojo have not featured pretty much at all this season, they don't need replacing. Mata hardly featured as well. Only Herrera will need a direct replacement, others won't be missed really.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Fair enough, I can see where you’re coming from then.

I just wish you’d make your case for why we should keep a declining 31 year old who’s comfortably in the bottom half of our squad in terms of current ability. Instead of just dropping a sarcastic oneliner.
Well i was replying to a comment in which United trying to keep an asset (that we could actually sell for money) is a "joke" ... as if that's some sort of crazy business practice.

The club realises we need players, and if Herrera is going along with (hopefully) Sanchez, then it makes sense to keep Mata on the books ahead of other players that we could sell for a fee.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Makes absolutely no sense to keep him. We need to revamp the squad and get fresh blood in.

Time to cut down the squad size and get rid of the passengers,which Mata has become over the year.
Hopefully the club finally gets its act together in the off season.

Makes absolutely no sense to keep him. We need to revamp the squad and get fresh blood in.
Emphasis on this point^

Aloysius's Back 3

If herrera is going then keeping mata is not a bad option.

We need to a buy a new AM anyway so having another as back up for another year isnt bad. Howver if he goes; we wont miss him at all.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Most of the players rumoured to leave barely play any part in the team. Valencia, Darmian and Rojo have not featured pretty much at all this season, they don't need replacing. Mata hardly featured as well. Only Herrera will need a direct replacement, others won't be missed really.
Exactly, thats why we're getting rid of them.

The idea is that we should sell the players that don't play, and bring in 4 or 5 players that are better then we already have, thus moving 4 or 5 players out of the first team and improving the squad.

Mata is a relatively cheap option to keep as a squad option. Plus he's barely ever injured, so from the clubs POV, you can see why keeping him around makes sense.

MadMike

Players likely to leave - Valencia, Darmian, Herrera
Players that could well leave - Sanchez, Rojo, Mata, Bailly/Jones(?)

That's 6/7 players... Considering we probably won't buy more then 4 (maybe 5 at a push) we need to keep a few.
That's still not everyone.

You think we need to keep a few of those 6? No we don't. Our current first team squad is 28 players and needs trimming by a couple anyway. And we can promote youth players like Greenwood in emergencies when needed. Moving 6-7 players on and bringing 4-5 quality players in, is exactly what we need to do.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Obviously this is a reference to the amount of players we'll probably be letting go this summer - didn't really think that had to spelled out.
My point is we can afford to lose players like Mata, Young etc. even if we don't sign anyone. They're deadwood. Absolutely useless for us at the moment.

But realistically, they'd get replaced. So shift now and worry later.

Judas

Open to offers
Things like this is why I approach the upcoming window with huge caution. I don’t trust the club, because we make quite frankly bizarre decisions.

Jezpeza

No. Keep Young and Jones.
Yeah exactly. Does Jones offer anything more than recalling Tuanzabe would? Why keep Young when we have Dalot and probably another RB coming in? They just sit on huge wages and arent really even good enough to be squad players.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
That's still not everyone.

You think we need to keep a few of those 6? No we don't. Our current first team squad is 28 players and needs trimming by a couple anyway. And we can promote youth players like Greenwood in emergencies when needed. Moving 6-7 players on and bringing 4-5 quality players in, is exactly what we need to do.
Not sure where 28 is from - I assume a few youngsters? Our squad is 25 (22 in terms of outfield players) - and this includes Rojo, Valencia and Darmian. So that's 19 actual first teamers. That's not a huge squad by any means. If Herrera and 2 others (Say, Sanchez and Bailly leave) thats down to 16 outfield players....

And lets be fair, if we bought 5 players in(and i doubt the club will spend that much to be honest) what are the chances they're all going to work out instantly?