Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

FerociousCorgis

Players likely to leave - Valencia, Darmian, Herrera
Players that could well leave - Sanchez, Rojo, Mata, Bailly/Jones(?)
I mean valencia and darmian have rarely even played this year. Rojo has played his usual 5 games or whatever. Herrera wouldve been nice on a 1 more year deal, but is only one who really played decent minutes that is prob leaving this summer. I guess mata should as well, but we needed to bring in an actual RW anyways. Doubt sanchez gets moved with his stupid wages anyways.

The funny thing is if you took that whole list, who has been any good this season? Herrera for a little chunk? Jones for a game or two? What is the purpose of keeping trash just to have it? Bring in 3-4 players, and promote some of the youth and literally all but herrera could be moved on from on that list without missing a single beat.

SATA

He will be good when he plays at number 10, not shunted out to the right wing. The club is using him very wrong, or simply we do not play in a formation/set up that suits him

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Obviously this is a reference to the amount of players we'll probably be letting go this summer - didn't really think that had to spelled out.
We can let a squad player go. You're getting unecesarily bent out of shape. We can let go of 10 players but we can get rid of 3-5.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Happy if he leaves. Love the guy but he barely offers more than a body on the pitch most of the time, or rather, a body on the bench.
I'd be happy enough if he stayed too, but it feels like all too often a player staying is seen as reason not to bother improving an area.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I definitely wouldn't want him renewed. Exactly the type of player we should be getting rid of. The renewals seen are a worry for the summer as a whole.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We can let a squad player go. You're getting unecesarily bent out of shape. We can let go of 10 players but we can get rid of 3-5.
We will be letting 5 or so go hopefully.

I'm fine to let Mata go if say Herrera sticks around, but the idea its some crazy decision by the club or that it's a joke is a bit silly.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You know what Mr Mata Snr, if your boy pulled his finger out and put a shift in every now and then, he would already be playing for a champions league team.

There are youth team players and journeymen from across europe who can give what Mata offers us for a third of the wages.

Smores

Hopefully bollocks to drum up interest and competition. He doesn't fit our team and never did. Lovely bloke though not too many of those in the team

mattunited1978

doommonger
Hopefully his dads just making noise to get better offers from elsewhere, cant see why we'd renew, but we renewed Young so anythings possible.

flappyjay

Yeah we should just release all our players so we have nobody next year...
If indeed we are getting a right winger someone between him and Sanchez are gonna have to leave and looks like it would be easier to get him off the books than sanchez.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If indeed we are getting a right winger someone between him and Sanchez are gonna have to leave and looks like it would be easier to get him off the books than sanchez.
yeah I agree, and if we are keeping Sanchez we need to let Mata go.

MadMike

Not sure where 28 is from - I assume a few youngsters? Our squad is 25 (22 in terms of outfield players) - and this includes Rojo, Valencia and Darmian. So that's 19 actual first teamers. That's not a huge squad by any means. If Herrera and 2 others (Say, Sanchez and Bailly leave) thats down to 16 outfield players....

And lets be fair, if we bought 5 players in(and i doubt the club will spend that much to be honest) what are the chances they're all going to work out instantly?
Because it includes those loaned out. TFS, Joel and Axel.
https://www.manutd.com/en/players-and-staff/first-team

If only half of those 4 new signings worked out we'd still be better off than 6 players that never play and can't be relied upon.

You could buy Alderweireld, and re-integrate Tuanzebe to replace Rojo and Bailly. A new RB to replace Valencia and Darmian, keep TFS just for depth. A MF to replace Herrera. And a new RW to replace Mata and Sanchez... and really no depth would be missing. You'd be up to 22 outfield players before we even dip into the youngsters.

Easy.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
yeah I agree, and if we are keeping Sanchez we need to let Mata go.
If, by some miracle, both are off the books, it would be £450k a week in wages freed up for other players to come in on a 1:1 basis or even a few for a couple.

Both of them are dire in terms of return on their wage, and they are hindrances in us progressing as a team as fresh, vibrant talent should be getting their playing time.

We've got a hell of a lot of work to do to fix this squad, cutting players like Mata should be a point of order as he's a costly sub who has little impact when he does actually play.

deadrevelz

Apparently the club want him to be an ambassador when he retires. Maybe they are worried if they don't give him a contract he will take his ambassadorial niceness elsewhere.

FerociousCorgis

If only half of those 4 new signings worked out we'd still be better off than 6 players that never play and can't be relied upon.

You could buy Alderweireld, and re-integrate Tuanzebe to replace Rojo and Bailly. A new RB to replace Valencia and Darmian, keep TFS just for depth. A MF to replace Herrera. And a new RW to replace Mata and Sanchez... and really no depth would be missing. You'd be up to 22 outfield players before we even dip into the youngsters.

Easy.
exactly. People throw out oh we cant replace 6 players in one window...but how many of those are we actually playing and relying on? How many have been any good this year? like 1-2 max. Literally all but herrera could be replaced and provide better output easily imo. Buying 3-4 players should be pretty easy, and then integrate tuanz and greenwood to add in there and pretty easy transition.

ErranMorad

So just to be clear, we have offered Mata & Herrera new deals and Young and Jones have already signed. Are we even looking to rebuild? Seems like the plan is to be in the periphery of a top 4 spot. The actions aren't of a management intending to make us title challengers.

Ace of Spades

Why is this news ?? We know that there is an offer to renew, but Mata is not signing. That is the way things have been for a while now, nothing has changed.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So just to be clear, we have offered Mata & Herrera new deals and Young and Jones have already signed. Are we even looking to rebuild? Seems like the plan is to be in the periphery of a top 4 spot. The actions aren't of a management intending to make us title challengers.
It appears we offered Herrera a contract, but too late after leaving him hanging for months, so he thought we didn't want him and took another offer, fair play to him. Young and Jones we wouldn't be able to give away, so they would sign anything.

redshaw

Maybe stats will say otherwise but this year seems to be least impactul he's had outside of a freekick. Perhaps he's also good in the dressing room for moral and maybe they have De Gea in mind if he stays too?

Adcuth

We shouldn't be offering a renewal unless at his stage of career he's like pirlo. I love Mata, but he's not gonna help us move forward. Let him leave and replace that right side with a proper proven talent. We have a back up in Lingard, even though he'll never be a worldie

Zlatattack

Pep got rid of 13 players his first season with Barcelona.

I’m sorry but we’re not in less need of a revolution than they were then.
Look what he did at City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Manchester_City_F.C._season#Transfers_out 4 first team players out (8 in)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Manchester_City_F.C._season#Transfers_out 12 first team players out (6 in, including 4 defenders and a GK)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Manchester_City_F.C._season#Transfers_out 7 first team players out (2 in)

All that upheaval - did him no harm.

Saffron

Look what he did at City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Manchester_City_F.C._season#Transfers_out 4 first team players out (8 in)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Manchester_City_F.C._season#Transfers_out 12 first team players out (6 in, including 4 defenders and a GK)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Manchester_City_F.C._season#Transfers_out 7 first team players out (2 in)

All that upheaval - did him no harm.
Thank you, I forgot to mention what he did at City. And just look at Klopp’s first eleven only a few years ago:

Absolutely unrecognizable. And he had a worse starting point than us.

The two best managers in the world are happy to do exactly what we are afraid of doing. Probably a big reason why they are the best.

MoskvaRed

Apparently the club want him to be an ambassador when he retires. Maybe they are worried if they don't give him a contract he will take his ambassadorial niceness elsewhere.
I know he’s a nice guy and seems more intelligent than the average footballer but it seems inappropriate appointing as ambassador someone who’s best footballing days were spent with Chelsea. He hasn’t really left much imprint at United.

LoneStar

Let him go. He's barely starting these days and his wages don't justify those rare starts or his performances.

Regardless of how good a person he is outside football, we need to start being ruthless and stop giving contract extensions to nice and 'loyal' players.

Even if we are letting Herrera and Sanchez and a few more go, we should still not renew him. He can easily be replaced by Periera and other academy players.

Roboc7

Easy.
It won’t happen but this is exactly what we should be doing, quality for quantity with some younger players bulking up the squad.

Letting 4 first team players like Valencia, Darmian, Rojo and Sanchez leave sounds like a lot but what do they actually contribute, virtually nothing. Even if let those four go and bought no one you don’t significantly weaken the squad they are the definition of deadwood.

Mata’s time is up, a New RW to replace him and Sanchez is an upgrade, can’t be scared to let these players who have been consistently shown to be not good enough leave.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I love Mata but if we sign an upgrade then fine, let him go.

My worry stems from the fact that we have struggled and ultimately failed to sign four players in each of the last two summer windows, which suggests to me that a major overhaul would be very difficult to achieve. Despite that, I've seen arguments/suggestions for each of De Gea, Young, Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Valencia, Herrera, Fred, Pogba, Mata, Sanchez and Lukaku being sold over the last few weeks. We can't sell/upgrade everyone so some of the lesser lights will have to remain (especially if better players like Pogba or De Gea end up leaving) and I'd worry about putting ourselves in a position where we've let players go and are struggling to replace them in time for the new season.

Last edited:

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It won’t happen but this is exactly what we should be doing, quality for quantity with some younger players bulking up the squad.

Letting 4 first team players like Valencia, Darmian, Rojo and Sanchez leave sounds like a lot but what do they actually contribute, virtually nothing. Even if let those four go and bought no one you don’t significantly weaken the squad they are the definition of deadwood.

Mata’s time is up, a New RW to replace him and Sanchez is an upgrade, can’t be scared to let these players who have been consistently shown to be not good enough leave.
Exactly, if the only reason they are there is to be bodies in the squad, then feck them off and bring in youth players or bang average journeymen who are consistent rather than over priced shite who we KNOW do not deliver.

deadrevelz

Thank you, I forgot to mention what he did at City. And just look at Klopp’s first eleven only a few years ago:

Absolutely unrecognizable. And he had a worse starting point than us.

The two best managers in the world are happy to do exactly what we are afraid of doing. Probably a big reason why they are the best.
Happy that there are others who think this way... the idea that getting rid of underperforming overpaid players who have barely won anything at United is somehow going to hurt team morale etc is bollocks. Quite the opposite, it should help us rid the stench of failure from the dressing room.

Sadly there is no way the club will see it that way.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Not sure where 28 is from - I assume a few youngsters? Our squad is 25 (22 in terms of outfield players) - and this includes Rojo, Valencia and Darmian. So that's 19 actual first teamers. That's not a huge squad by any means. If Herrera and 2 others (Say, Sanchez and Bailly leave) thats down to 16 outfield players....

And lets be fair, if we bought 5 players in(and i doubt the club will spend that much to be honest) what are the chances they're all going to work out instantly?
Taking a calculated gamble that new players might not work out is surely preferable over keeping players who we know won't improve us? I like Mata just as much as the next guy but he lost his legs a couple of years ago and he will not get any better in the coming years either, his (potentially quite big) salary is best spent elsewhere imo.

MrSingh2002

We've been shit for years now. We can't keep re-signing players who haven't been good enough to compete at the top level.

You will not change anything by keeping the same old players like Jones, Smalling, Young, Mata.

We have to call a spade a spade and make space for new players who can have a crack at having their own success at United.

Jose was clearly intent on making more changes at centre back and I'm sure alot of people here would agree that it's still needed. Ole has to make some tough decisions and get them right. Comes with the territory now he's our permanent manager.

PeteManic

I love Juan but he has to go. Time has moved on.

In fact, quite frankly, all the Moyes-Van Gaal era players should be out this year and next.