Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

Canagel

We're a joke. Does this club not know when it's time to release deadwood players?

The UTD Way

There's a reason coaches/clubs have 2nd/3rd choice targets, if the first choice is not available you go for other options .
Secondly, there are no guarantees that our first choice will be available after 12 months , even if he's ,he may sign for another club .

Attitude and professionalism are good but not enough, if they were City would not have released Kompany. Mata is slow and weak ,no top side with ambition would have him ATM.

A second /third choice target does not necessarily mean a drop in quality from the first choice . What makes a target a 2nd/3rd choice may include, age, league, nationality, buyout clause, length of contract etc.
I’m in no way defending Mata, to me we bought a half decent number 10 & very rarely play him there...what I mean is Woodward & co May have been told Sancho or someone will come in 12 months, so there not going to buy 2nd or 3rd choice..mata is then the easy solution to renew.

hobbers

Offering him a contract is terrible business in itself. Even if it's just a 1 year continuation at the same terms...

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Mata has declined no arguing that, but how quick are D. Silva and De Bruyne? Similar types of players to Mata, they're just extremely creative and hold possession superbly. So quickness isn't what's holding him back imo.
Your opinion is wrong. :)

Okey

Still can't get my head round trying to keep Mata. What the hell for??? Adds no value to the squad. Sell and replace. Now.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
What are the options though:

1) let him go for free and have to buy/promote a replacement. None of the kids are good enough yet and we can't afford yet another signing this summer; or
2) sign a short extension and worry about it next season.

End of the day, we still need to pick a team of 11 for 3 games each week. Not saying Mata should be no.1 choice but not reason he can't cover the No.10 spot.

He might not fit into a 4-3-3 but if we are going to play 4-2-3-1, he fits right in and is probably our only technically gifted player and is a positive influence on the squad.
We cant leave everything and worry about it next season. Its very easy to replace him.

Hughie77

Love him as a player always wanted him at OT, his time as come now to move on, if UTD want that kind of player, younger a bit quicker, go for Brooks, from Bournemouth.

Ban

I wanted to ask why the club has even upped an initial offer but what's the purpose.

koop

:lol: We actually offered a renewal, incredible.

HF in Valencia with your 'Champions League Teams'

Fer

What are the options though:

1) let him go for free and have to buy/promote a replacement. None of the kids are good enough yet and we can't afford yet another signing this summer; or
2) sign a short extension and worry about it next season.

End of the day, we still need to pick a team of 11 for 3 games each week. Not saying Mata should be no.1 choice but not reason he can't cover the No.10 spot.

He might not fit into a 4-3-3 but if we are going to play 4-2-3-1, he fits right in and is probably our only technically gifted player and is a positive influence on the squad.
I think we are going to play diamond formation instead of the 4231. We would need at least 2 quality wingers to play 4231.

Mata would be a decent cover for someone like Felix, Dybala, Havertz, Fernandes, etc. But not as our main No.10.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This does seem really bizarre.
A player who wasn't even a regular in a real car crash of a season, and surely won't feature more next year.

People who say we've done this to be able to sell him later confuse me too. Surely we'd only be offering a 1 year deal, meaning there would be zero re-sell anyway.
Not to mention that lashing out 7-8m on in wages him seems zero sense versus the fee we'd hope to achieve anyway.

C'est Moi Cantona

Mata will be fine, a good option form the bench sometimes, a good influence on the dressing room, and saves us having to buy another player to replace him, when we need so much already, could really see him as coach one day further down the line too, what's not to like?

'Deadwood' is Rojo, Darmian, Sanchez, Periera, Jones, etc, lets get rid of a few of them first.

NJM78

Mata will be fine, a good option form the bench sometimes, a good influence on the dressing room, and saves us having to buy another player to replace him, when we need so much already, could really see him as coach one day further down the line too, what's not to like?

'Deadwood' is Rojo, Darmian, Sanchez, Periera, Jones, etc, lets get rid of a few of them first.
I reckon they are only keeping him as not confident in signing better players.

Le Red

Yeah we should just release all our players so we have nobody next year...
Because the opposite, aka renewing all the deadwood contracts, has worked very well so far.

Btw, I like Mata, but he is deadwood. Not good enough for this level anymore.

C'est Moi Cantona

I reckon they are only keeping him as not confident in signing better players.
Don't think so, I just think people's minds are distorting this after the season gone, and with unrealistic expectations for this summer.

5 in 5 out is probably where we'll be this summer, and Mata is no way near the '5', he's a good option from the bench, and unlike many, a good guy for Ole to have in the dressing room.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Who will leave then except for Valencia..
Valencia and Herrera for sure, I would guess Bailly or Rojo, Darmian probably, hopefully Sanchez, maybe Lukaku, maybe Pogba, maybe Andreas Pereira... Still think Mata will ultimately leave. We need more out of course, and it's definitely annoying we arent going for a bigger clear out. I keep saying it but by the end of summer 2020, if we are serious, we should have 10-15 of the current squad gone.

Ban

Valencia and Herrera for sure, I would guess Bailly or Rojo, Darmian probably, hopefully Sanchez, maybe Lukaku, maybe Pogba, maybe Andreas Pereira... Still think Mata will ultimately leave. We need more out of course, and it's definitely annoying we arent going for a bigger clear out.
Hopefully Darmian, Rojo (although theres some strange talk about him as a DM) and Alexis at least. Pereira too is not gonna make it.

passing-wind

Well this is why I in particular didn't want Solskjaer, he seems to be reinforcing the old guard and thus far all the talk about us being in the market for XYZ seems like alot of media rubbish.

That's Smalling, Jones, Mata, Young all offered new deals that's 44% of the starting 11.

Ban

Well this is why I in particular didn't want Solskjaer, he seems to be reinforcing the old guard and thus far all the talk about us being in the market for XYZ seems like alot of media rubbish.

That's Smalling, Jones, Mata, Young all offered new deals that's 44% of the starting 11.
You're aware when Smalling, Jones and Young were offered new deals, especially Smalling?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hopefully Darmian, Rojo (although theres some strange talk about him as a DM) and Alexis at least. Pereira too is not gonna make it.
Yeah I basically just make my big list and if they're all gone before 20/21 I'll be happy enough.
  1. Grant
  2. Darmian
  3. Rojo
  4. Jones
  5. Bailly
  6. Young
  7. Matic
  8. Herrera
  9. Pereira
  10. Mata
  11. Sanchez
  12. Lukaku
  13. ***de gea/pogba/martial (no guarantees about these, obvious preferences in things turning out well with them but all could be gone in the next 2 seasons)
Obviously can understand very few of these staying on as squad players in the right situation, but if we were fully serious, committed to getting back to the top and ruthless, then they'd all be gone by the end of next summer. Realistically though only 10 will probably be gone, so about 5 per summer. Can't expect it all at once, though that wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing if they all did go...

Based Adnan

Smalling, Young, Jones, and Mata all renewed :lol::lol::lol:

Rewarding mediocrity with shiny new contracts

Fletchageddon

Smalling, Young, Jones, and Mata all renewed :lol::lol::lol:

Rewarding mediocrity with shiny new contracts
They are not the mediocre players in the team

The mediocre players are Martial, Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez and De Gea.

It’s better to get 100% out of a 7/10 player than 50% of a 9/10.

Smalling, Young, Jones and Mata could all look you in the eye and say they tried after a game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's easy to say Mata should be replaced. It's harder to say he should be replaced before the likes of Sanchez, Herrera, Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, Lukaku etc. It's harder again to actually replace all those players, especially if you also end up having to replace players you'd ideally keep like Pogba and De Gea too.

Given there's a limit to the amount of business we can/will do in one summer, we have to have priorities in terms of which dross we sell. This is part of what makes being a manager tough, deciding which poor players will give you more than the other poor players in your side.

It might be that of all the should-be-sold players filling our squad, Mata falls into the pragmatically-keep-for-now camp more than most, at which point extending his stay so we can focus on other areas makes sense. The only way we can really judge is when we see what other transfers are made this summer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Bruno we're not guaranteed to sign, and there's rumours Ole has issues with Lingard - guess he doesn't want to create a scenario in which he has no competition for his place.
They will back the manager financially they say
Rebuild they say

:lol:

We are currently in front of getting him with City isn’t interested, yet the board still can’t back the manager financially to get him. That doesn’t make sense.

slir32

It seems we are a retirement home. Why can't we clear out players when they first start showing signs of declining so we can at least get something for them instead we give them high paying new contracts.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I dont see the point of giving him another contract, he is a nothing player.

Reiver

He wouldn't top the list of players we need out. But to offer him anything more than a year's extension doesn't seem worth it. I'd rather he just left.

foolsgold

It's a long season, could be a lot of games in league cup, europa league etc, doesn't hurt to give him a year as a rotation option.

skillful player, can score a goal too

Patrick08

We're a joke. Does this club not know when it's time to release deadwood players?
They will let go Herrera and de gea, fan favourites but not let deadwood leave and replace them which is a result of terrible D grade management on football side.

finneh

He's about 12th in the list of players we should get rid of, so given that we aren't going to sell and replace 12 players this Summer a 12 month extension makes sense.

He's also the kind of character that you'd want around some of the youngsters. He works hard, is humble, technically gifted etc.

Brophs

The One and Only
If most other things are being done right and there are good players at the club in good form, he can still be an asset as a squad player. He's so far down the list of problems I can't find even the slightest bit of will to be bothered about him staying.

NJM78

He's about 12th in the list of players we should get rid of, so given that we aren't going to sell and replace 12 players this Summer a 12 month extension makes sense.

He's also the kind of character that you'd want around some of the youngsters. He works hard, is humble, technically gifted etc.
Do we know if it is 12 months because apparently the reason he hadn't signed was he wanted a longer contract than that. He is reportedly on quite a high wage also (150k?) I just do not see the need to keep him when he has been largely ineffective these past 12 months, is getting slower and assisting and scoring at his lowest rate in years. Why not let a youth player take his squad place, it's not as if we will challenge for any major honours anytime soon.

robinrooney

Really hope he doesn't sign. Was a good player but he is done now. Crazy that we're even thinking of offering him a deal. Says to me that they don't really want to splash the cash on too many new players so are trying to tie down the ones near end of contract.

finneh

Do we know if it is 12 months because apparently the reason he hadn't signed was he wanted a longer contract than that. He is reportedly on quite a high wage also (150k?) I just do not see the need to keep him when he has been largely ineffective these past 12 months, is getting slower and assisting and scoring at his lowest rate in years. Why not let a youth player take his squad place, it's not as if we will challenge for any major honours anytime soon.
The chances are the likes of Lukaku and Sanchez will already leave, whilst being replaced by a ready made attacker and another young player (James).

Greenwood, Chong and Gomes are also at least 12-18 months away from having a meaningful impact on the first team. We're almost certainly going to be short of attackers next season so keeping one of our lowest earning attackers rather than losing him on a free is a no brainer I'd say.

At the same time we want to finish in the top 4 next year. Likewise I highly doubt wece offered a 2 year deal on the same terms he signed when he was one of the best players in the league.