Juan Mata officially leaves Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

90 + 5min

Did he? Mata played more games and scored more goals.

Both players scored in the F.A Cup Final victory. Mata also started the E.L. final in 2017, Lingard was a sub.
I was going to answer the post but it is no point. Lingard is not even 1/10 of a player Mata is/was. Both on and of the pitch.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Nice guy but should have left years ago, was never good enough. A symbol of our decline.

jesperjaap

As a professional loyal player who hasnt seen a bad word, he will be missed. As a player (and partly not his fault as never really played as a number 10), he isnt really ot be missed, in fact though its hard to say, he was and has been an awful signing. He was a club record signing at the time, that fee then was huge and he has never been more than a bit part player really, good player that never really fitted in on the pitch. In terms of fee and what was produced, one of our weakest signings, that transfer window was awful by Moyes and cused him straight away

Roboc7

Nice guy but forgettable 8 years at the club, with exception of few nice moments, when you consider how good he was at Chelsea. No idea how he’s lasted so long from either his or club’s perspective.

Lots of talk about him being misused but reality is not many managers wouldn’t have stuck him on the wing. That number ten role has been dying off and he’s too limited physically to adapt to another central role. The big difference is at Utd he was kept around unnecessarily whereas at another top club he’d have been sold off years ago.

Iron Stove

A gentleman off the pitch, a very intelligent and kindhearted person. Just never really showed enough quality on the pitch after his high profile transfer. There were glimpses like Juanfield and his understanding with Herrera back in the day, but all in all it wasn't a very impressive United career. He had vision and intelligence but the combination of weak and slow is quite hard to work around as an attacking player in the Premier League.

The Impossible Team

Wishing you all the best for the future, Juan

And thanks for not following quite a few of your team mates who subscribed to the inverse formula of...
Decreasing time/performance on the pitch = Increasing disloyalty & disrespect towards the club.

You remained a decent human being throughout testing times while others failed that test miserably. We know who they were/are:mad:

Shame because there was a very good footballer in there, you just never got managed well. Imagine playing your silky football in front of a proper midfield 2 that could provide a shield of steel(sorry McFred, but you are more steel wool) for the creative ones to go express themselves?

Saying that, as one poster questioned that you more than likely could have got more playing time if you had moved to a league/team more suited to your skill set but you didn't.. why?!
Cynics will say it was "money for nothing" But I genuinely think you were like the rest of us, hoping, every time a new manager joined/backroom staff upgraded, that it would lead to happier times, which you rightly wanted to be a part of...Alas it wasn't meant to be

Adios Amigo

Smudgers

Great fella cultured footballer , must have been sad for him take see the dressing room implode. Should have played a lot more than he did , he was our David Silva but every manager we had for some reason couldn’t see it , Cheers Juan

decorativeed

To be fair he's a player we should have built a team around. It's not his fault we offered him lots of money and then refused to utilize him to the fullest.

Great player with vision, technique and cleverness. Pity we don't have more like him.
Exactly. He was wasted by clueless managers. Which, to be fair, can be said of a lot of our post SAF signings. Just think of the reactions to the majority of the players we've signed in those last 9 years. Almost to a man, they've been hailed as the missing link who will turn this around for us, then they come to OT and within a year they're written off as shite.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't think that he is a player that anyone should build around. Now overally if your opinion is that he was a bad fit and a victim of circumstances then I kind of agree, I'm just a bit baffled by the way people talk about one of our worst signings and contributor especially when you compare it to the vitriol that others receive even though they did way more for us. The same applies to the outrageous Matic thread a few weeks ago.

These are the signings that have ruined United, players that we brought in their prime and barely contributed to anything positive.
Players that we bought in their prime and didn't contribute enough because the managers had no clue or refused to use them in their most effective position. Why we never tried to just build a functional team around a guy like Mata is mystifying to me. Over those eight years it could have been done. He had the quality.

For years now the club simply collected footballers of varying quality and purpose and threw them together expecting miracles to happen. No plan, no strategy. Hard to blame Mata for it not being a productive spell. At least he was professional, respectful and gave his best at every moment.

arthurka

Love Mata as a player and a person, we seriously fecked him. He deserved so much better. Thanks you handsome genius.

phelans shorts

Players that we bought in their prime and didn't contribute enough because the managers had no clue or refused to use them in their most effective position. Why we never tried to just build a functional team around a guy like Mata is mystifying to me. Over those eight years it could have been done. He had the quality.

For years now the club simply collected footballers of varying quality and purpose and threw them together expecting miracles to happen. No plan, no strategy. Hard to blame Mata for it not being a productive spell. At least he was professional, respectful and gave his best at every moment.
Is it mystifying? He was signed and we had Rooney, who at that stage was better than him. Then we brought in LvG who wanted the control of a 4-3-3, which Mata is best suited to on the right so he can cut in (we did actually try him in the middle in the first game, when Swansea battered us in the middle largely because he was missing so much) and he actually does play there a fair amount, and largely does absolutely nothing. Then we get to Mourinho who not wanting him in the first place is the reason we got him. By this point Mata plays like he’s at least a decade older than he actually is too.

Then we get to Ole wanting to play with pace on the break, a skill that nobody could ever accuse Mata of having and, to be Frank, when he has been on the pitch in the last 5/6 years he’s been neither use nor ornament. He’s just been very poor for a long, long time and been allowed because he’s a “nice guy”.

MoskvaRed

Why did he stay 8 years then If he was being wasted? Happy with the big salary and no real pressure? Jose is not everyone’s cup of tea but I think Mata was another he called right while at Chelsea.

Dr. Dwayne

Is it mystifying? He was signed and we had Rooney, who at that stage was better than him. Then we brought in LvG who wanted the control of a 4-3-3, which Mata is best suited to on the right so he can cut in (we did actually try him in the middle in the first game, when Swansea battered us in the middle largely because he was missing so much) and he actually does play there a fair amount, and largely does absolutely nothing. Then we get to Mourinho who not wanting him in the first place is the reason we got him. By this point Mata plays like he’s at least a decade older than he actually is too.

Then we get to Ole wanting to play with pace on the break, a skill that nobody could ever accuse Mata of having and, to be Frank, when he has been on the pitch in the last 5/6 years he’s been neither use nor ornament. He’s just been very poor for a long, long time and been allowed because he’s a “nice guy”.
Rooney was on a steep decline. I'd definitely put the blame on the lack of strategy from the top. When you spend the kind of funds we did on Mata to not look to use him effectively seems idiotic. And if the succesive managers don't want him why not try to sell?

Why did he stay 8 years then If he was being wasted? Happy with the big salary and no real pressure? Jose is not everyone’s cup of tea but I think Mata was another he called right while at Chelsea.
Why did Mourinho not sell him then? What about Ole? This is a question that can be asked both ways. What we know is that Mata loved and respected the club and its fans and did what the managers asked of him. Professionalism goes a long way.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If I was Mourinho I'm not sure the fact that I thought Oscar was a better pick than Mata is something I'd be advertising.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The rarest of items, a United player no rival fan could hate.

El Jefe

Do you remember who else scored a goal in one of those finals? Clue: He was a 5'7" Spaniard.
Doesn't change the fact that Lingard won us that game and his contribution in winning it was more than Mata's. I believe Pogba was player of the tournament in the EL too.

Mata has been hiding behind his image, he should be receiving just as much criticism as the other two if not more.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Goals against Pool, City (including the one in LC which we went on to win), Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester, FA Cup final along with assists in quite a lot of big games.

I'm fine if people say that he wasn't as good as his Chelsea days, but I dont think one can call him a flop. If anything, I'd say he was among top 10 signings in the post SAF era despite him being misused by nearly every manager.

NewYorkRed

A case of what could have been. We wasted him. He was a top, top player but we never played to his strengths. Will never forget Juanfield.

MoskvaRed

If I was Mourinho I'm not sure the fact that I thought Oscar was a better pick than Mata is something I'd be advertising.
That’s the Mourinho paradox - he can identify the players who are not good enough but is incapable of bringing in better replacements. To be fair, he did win the title in his second stint, something Mata has never done.

MoskvaRed

Rooney was on a steep decline. I'd definitely put the blame on the lack of strategy from the top. When you spend the kind of funds we did on Mata to not look to use him effectively seems idiotic. And if the succesive managers don't want him why not try to sell?

Why did Mourinho not sell him then? What about Ole? This is a question that can be asked both ways. What we know is that Mata loved and respected the club and its fans and did what the managers asked of him. Professionalism goes a long way.
It’’s because the manager does not have the last say. Why he is he “loved and respected”? I grew up on Robson, Wilkins, Eric, Keane etc. Mata has been largely a virtue signaling mascot apart from a brace against a soon to be sacked Bendan’s Liverpool team. I’d rank him along side the likes of Birtles in terms of value for money.

Dr. Dwayne

It’’s because the manager does not have the last say. Why he is he “loved and respected”? I grew up on Robson, Wilkins, Eric, Keane etc. Mata has been largely a virtue signaling mascot apart from a brace against a soon to be sacked Bendan’s Liverpool team. I’d rank him along side the likes of Birtles in terms of value for money.
You read it wrong, Mata loved and respected the club and the fans, at least that what it looks like from my perspective.

With what we've seen re: Judge today, I agree that it may not have been the manager's call when selling players they did not want to use.

Last edited:

decorativeed

Doesn't change the fact that Lingard won us that game and his contribution in winning it was more than Mata's. I believe Pogba was player of the tournament in the EL too.

Mata has been hiding behind his image, he should be receiving just as much criticism as the other two if not more.
I don't really have any hard feelings towards any of the players who have left, so I'm not playing favourites here. But can you explain to me how Lingard would have been in a position to score that extra-time winner if Mata hadn't scored his goal? Cause I'm all ears here.

Tavern in the town

Absolute bollocks we just wanted a tiny slow left footed player to play wide right!
we ignored all his strengths and set him up to fail
Proving my point. Tiny slow attackers don’t excel in the modern game unless they’re exceptional technically. Mata isn’t exceptional technically. He’s just pretty good.

AndyMUFC

Think we completely wasted him by playing him out on the right wing to be honest, as there's no way he couldn't have played more centrally against teams lower in the league when we were struggling to break them down, but it's definitely the right time to go.

mctrials23

Contributed substantially more to the Club than Mata having played an approximately similar amount of games across both of their careers.
I know, I just really like Mata and really dislike Rashfords recent attitude. Mata has never been anything other than a perfect servant to the club. Never caused issues, seems like a lovely bloke and does loads of charity work in the background.

fps

Honestly I feel like Mata has been paid millions, for years, for fetching the half-time oranges, making cups of tea for people, and smiling.

jackal&hyde

Nice guy but should have left years ago, was never good enough. A symbol of our decline.
More like a symbol of our incapability to make use of good footballers.

A superb technician and playmaker, used by dinosaurs like Mourinho and counter attacking play like Ole. We've made the worst of a fantastic talent and yet, he never rocked the ship or complained.

The only player we've signed over the last 10 or so years that I feel deserved better.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
When all's said and done he was a bit useless for us.

Oldyella

Wasted. A cracking player but wasn't a good fit for any managers we appointed. Maybe LVG at a push. Would liked to see a younger Mata playing for Ten Hag but not to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.