Jude Bellingham | Borussia Dortmund player...

Shai-Hulud

In the past 2 years we've signed Varane, Ronaldo, Casemiro, Sancho, and Antony. How in god's name do you take from that that our star shine is almost gone?! Has any big club signed as many flashy names as us in recent times? Also we are well in the conversation for finishing top 4 ffs.
Hah. Varane is hugely overpaid. That's why he came here. Same with Casemiro, who had already been replaced at RM. Sancho and Atony vastly overpaid too. And no one else was in for them. Ronaldo!? Please. We got desperate when he had agreed terms with City. We pay him 10m more per year than they would have. And putting him on a 2 year contract was guaranteed to backfire. He's pretty much just a liability now.

redcucumber

Hah. Varane is hugely overpaid. That's why he came here. Same with Casemiro, who had already been replaced at RM. Sancho and Atony vastly overpaid too. And no one else was in for them. Ronaldo!? Please. We got desperate when he had agreed terms with City. We pay him 10m more per year than they would have. And putting him on a 2 year contract was guaranteed to backfire. He's pretty much just a liability now.
What about Haaland on 900k a week? Welcome to football, where footballers get paid too much. Varane joined aged 28 from Real Madrid as one of the best CBs in the world - obviously he's going to get paid a lot. Likewise Casemiro is a Ballon D'or nominee and widely regarded as one of the best DMs of recent years. Paying big money is how you get big, established players. Do you think wherever Bellingham goes he'll be getting underpaid? Besides, our squad took a 25% wage hit after missing out on CL football. If they were only here for the money, I'm sure they'd have been off in the summer.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I think he may do another season at Dortmund after this one. After that he'll either come to Utd or go to Madrid. I don't see the Dippers/FSG paying the money for him and Chelsea will get Rice at some point imo.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What about Haaland on 900k a week? Welcome to football, where footballers get paid too much. Varane joined aged 28 from Real Madrid as one of the best CBs in the world - obviously he's going to get paid a lot. Likewise Casemiro is a Ballon D'or nominee and widely regarded as one of the best DMs of recent years. Paying big money is how you get big, established players. Do you think wherever Bellingham goes he'll be getting underpaid? Besides, our squad took a 25% wage hit after missing out on CL football. If they were only here for the money, I'm sure they'd have been off in the summer.
Not if that 25% less is still more than other clubs pay

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Is our wage bill astronomically higher than other big clubs? I'd be interested to know. I doubt it somehow.
Sportrac has your wage bill for this year highest in the EPL by a fairly wide margin.

It has yours at 212m. The next 3, starting with Liverpool, range from 153 to 144. Pretty wide gap

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I think he may do another season at Dortmund after this one. After that he'll either come to Utd or go to Madrid. I don't see the Dippers/FSG paying the money for him and Chelsea will get Rice at some point imo.
City is the team that makes the most sense unfortunately.

Gundogan is out of contract next summer, Bernardo will almost surely try to leave again for Spain, and KDB will stick around but who knows how long he has left as a top player. At least one box-to-box midfielder and maybe two will be a priority next summer for sure. And they also have shown a real willingness to pay big for top English talent in their pursuits of Grealish and Kane.

redcucumber

Sportrac has your wage bill for this year highest in the EPL by a fairly wide margin.

It has yours at 212m. The next 3, starting with Liverpool, range from 153 to 144. Pretty wide gap
Is it accurate? It has Foden's salary as £15,000 a week, and Haaland's as £375,000. Also, it doesn't seem to have factored in the wage reduction our players took this season for not qualifying for the CL (assuming that actually happened).

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Is our wage bill astronomically higher than other big clubs? I'd be interested to know. I doubt it somehow.
These numbers are according to Martyn Ziegler, via Companies House, and they offer an insight into which clubs are overachieving and which are underachieving this season.

1. Manchester City - £355m
  2. Chelsea - £343m
  3. Manchester United - £323m
  4. Liverpool - £314m
  5. Arsenal - £244m
  6. Tottenham Hotspur - £205m
https://www.marca.com/en/football/premier-league/2022/03/06/622504ab22601d94458b458e.html

Of course that includes all staff. So our player wages are probably high as we have a reduced medical staff, no director of football, virtually no scouts, a very small number of youth coaches etc because of Glazer cut backs.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s a no from me. Would much rather Frenkie. The only way I’d want us to sign JB is if we sold Bruno. Then I’d want him as an additional midfielder to Frenkie if we could get a huge fee for Bruno. That said, I don’t see that happening, and I’d rather we take the rare chance to sign what could be one of the top controlling midfielders in the world for years. Box-to-box powerhouses aren’t as hard to find, particularly on these shores, which is nearly the only place that really values them. I don’t see too much between Bellingham and Jacob Ramsey for instance.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
These numbers are according to Martyn Ziegler, via Companies House, and they offer an insight into which clubs are overachieving and which are underachieving this season.

1. Manchester City - £355m
  2. Chelsea - £343m
  3. Manchester United - £323m
  4. Liverpool - £314m
  5. Arsenal - £244m
  6. Tottenham Hotspur - £205m
https://www.marca.com/en/football/premier-league/2022/03/06/622504ab22601d94458b458e.html

Of course that includes all staff. So our player wages are probably high as we have a reduced medical staff, no director of football, virtually no scouts, a very small number of youth coaches etc because of Glazer cut backs.
Those numbers are from last season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You think Sancho should play in the middle, instead of Bruno?
Right now, yes. The important thing for Sancho isn't where he plays, so much as how many teammates he has close by to combine with

Giggsy13

I agree but still stand by the fact that prices for these players are not worth it unless you are owned by oil prince sheiks...

A club like us which is already ridden in debt spending 140m euros on a player like Bellingham is disastrous should it happen. Not to mention the gross overvaluation.
I do think the club needs to spend the money more intelligently. Bellingham for £100 million blows our budget out of the water next summer when we need a GK and striker as well. I’m hoping Zidane Iqbal will develop into that role so a big fee isn’t needed. What we desperately need is a striker and the focus should be on Osimhen.

marc1_007

I really hope we do not sign Jude Bellingham, especially for the prices quoted. I am tired of signing the best talent in the Bundesliga and somehow they always flop with us.
Shinji Kagawa, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Jadon Sancho, all from Borussia Dortmund and every single one of them a failure at Utd. All these players were amazing and it was so exciting to sign them and I genuinely thought that they would take us to the next level but Alas, I was totally mistaken, now another supreme talent from Dortmund is being touted as a generational talent? I absolutely do not buy it and I will stay as far away as possible.
Real Madrid and Liverpool are welcome to him and I am pretty sure that if it came to a straight choice between Frenkie De Jong and Jude Bellingham, we know who Erik Ten Hag will choose, so I am very happy that he is the coach at this time and that should stop us from making this monumental mistake.

Member 101269

I'd sign JB if only to tighen the returns for the Glaziers on their nothing investment policy

BerryBerryShrew

I think EtH would rather sign FdJ than Bellingham and I can't see us having the funds to sign both.

I'd prefer FdJ too to be honest.

Rolaholic

Ridiculous how Gavi won over rthese 2 but that Barca PR is undefeated

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I really hope we do not sign Jude Bellingham, especially for the prices quoted. I am tired of signing the best talent in the Bundesliga and somehow they always flop with us.
Shinji Kagawa, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Jadon Sancho, all from Borussia Dortmund and every single one of them a failure at Utd. All these players were amazing and it was so exciting to sign them and I genuinely thought that they would take us to the next level but Alas, I was totally mistaken, now another supreme talent from Dortmund is being touted as a generational talent? I absolutely do not buy it and I will stay as far away as possible.
Real Madrid and Liverpool are welcome to him and I am pretty sure that if it came to a straight choice between Frenkie De Jong and Jude Bellingham, we know who Erik Ten Hag will choose, so I am very happy that he is the coach at this time and that should stop us from making this monumental mistake.
Far too early to call Sancho a failure. He’s been a disappointment for the fee and expectations but he’s not been a failure. He’s a consistent performer in this ETH side, despite not hitting the heights expected of him. With that said, I agree with your general point. I don’t mind signing players from the BL, but would be very wary of doing so for a big fee. Sancho for example is a 50m player in todays market, not a 75m player. Bellingham at 50-60m would be a good signing but at the 100m+ quoted is outrageous and would likely never be worth even half that fee. Just like the 75m+ fee paid for Havertz.

But until PL clubs stop paying these ridiculous prices for players coming from a weaker league, the clubs will keep charging them. More money than sense in most of the PL. Liverpool paid 53m for Keita, who was at best a 30m player. A player performing at the same level in the PL and in the BL shouldn’t command the same price. It’s just a different level. And while the difference isn’t huge - I am not badmouthing the BL at all - it is enough to make a difference. One we have seen time and time again.

There will always be the Haalands and Lewandowskis of the world who are just world class regardless, but these players are the exceptions, not the rule.

Bellingham is a good player but he is never worth the fee being quoted. Better off looking for the next JB at this rate. Every year we get some young BL player hitting mental numbers, ranking amongst the most productive players for their age in all of Europe, only to move on and see their productivity drop by 50% or more. I’m not sure how many times clubs have to see this trend to realise that it’s a huge risk paying massive fees for these young BL talents.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Those watching Bellingham on a game-by-game basis: is it fair to say he’s getting better by the month?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Far too early to call Sancho a failure. He’s been a disappointment for the fee and expectations but he’s not been a failure. He’s a consistent performer in this ETH side, despite not hitting the heights expected of him. With that said, I agree with your general point. I don’t mind signing players from the BL, but would be very wary of doing so for a big fee. Sancho for example is a 50m player in todays market, not a 75m player. Bellingham at 50-60m would be a good signing but at the 100m+ quoted is outrageous and would likely never be worth even half that fee. Just like the 75m+ fee paid for Havertz.

But until PL clubs stop paying these ridiculous prices for players coming from a weaker league, the clubs will keep charging them. More money than sense in most of the PL. Liverpool paid 53m for Keita, who was at best a 30m player. A player performing at the same level in the PL and in the BL shouldn’t command the same price. It’s just a different level. And while the difference isn’t huge - I am not badmouthing the BL at all - it is enough to make a difference. One we have seen time and time again.

There will always be the Haalands and Lewandowskis of the world who are just world class regardless, but these players are the exceptions, not the rule.

Bellingham is a good player but he is never worth the fee being quoted. Better off looking for the next JB at this rate. Every year we get some young BL player hitting mental numbers, ranking amongst the most productive players for their age in all of Europe, only to move on and see their productivity drop by 50% or more. I’m not sure how many times clubs have to see this trend to realise that it’s a huge risk paying massive fees for these young BL talents.

I think this isn't true. Sancho absolutely was a 100m player. United is responsible that he isn't one now. If Haaland had joined you last season, you'd be talking similarly about him.

People simply underestimate the risk a transfer poses. There are no guarantees. Even Messi dropped a level or two when he joined PSG. Players need time to adapt and the fact that some hit the ground running isn't necessarily down to their quality but also down to how well the new club integrated them and whether they considered stuff like this when making their decision. Haaland would never have joined United for that reason alone.

I also think that some players have the characters that make them more likely to play great immediately. Haaland for example seems much more resilient than Sancho who comes across as a little sensible person. But that doesn't mean that he's generally better because what Sancho showed in the Bundesliga when he had confidence and everything worked out for him was every bit as good as what Haaland did for Dortmund, probably even better.

The world isn't just black and white.

Reactions: Fortitude

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think this isn't true. Sancho absolutely was a 100m player. United is responsible that he isn't one now. If Haaland had joined you last season, you'd be talking similarly about him.

People simply underestimate the risk a transfer poses. There are no guarantees. Even Messi dropped a level or two when he joined PSG. Players need time to adapt and the fact that some hit the ground running isn't necessarily down to their quality but also down to how well the new club integrated them and whether they considered stuff like this when making their decision. Haaland would never have joined United for that reason alone.

I also think that some players have the characters that make them more likely to play great immediately. Haaland for example seems much more resilient than Sancho who comes across as a little sensible person. But that doesn't mean that he's generally better because what Sancho showed in the Bundesliga when he had confidence and everything worked out for him was every bit as good as what Haaland did for Dortmund, probably even better.

The world isn't just black and white.
Those are nice words but they're just words. Do you mind to take Sancho back, then? Never mind 100m, but at 60m (at 40% discount price you think he's worth)?.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Why does everything always have to be about the league? Football isn't played 1 vs 1, every performance is given in the context of an 11 vs 11 game. 10 team mates and a coach, who can elevate you or drag you down. It's so monumentally stupid to think that when a player switches club the deciding factor is not the player's mindset, the tactical context, the team mates, the clubs, the coach, the pressure... no! It's the league!

United has been a mess, no overarching philosophy, seemingly no coherent transfer strategy, one subpar coach after another.. and people are wondering why, when the club buys a player, who got utilized to his fullest at his previous club, doesn't perform as expected, when he's given a HUGE contract and thrown into that shit show. Really?

Case in point Sancho.. a player, who at Dortmund first excelled when paired with Hakimi, who covered the entire flank all game long, so Sancho could move into the half space and act closer to a no 10 than a traditional winger. Then remember when everyone was making fun of Dortmund, because Sancho was having a terrible couple of months after the transfer didn't materialize in 2020? That was actually, because Hakimi was replaced with Meunier and Sancho had to take on more winger duties himself. His form only improved (and drastically so) after he was moved to the left and had FB with top tier attacking qualities (Guerreiro) behind him. So what do United fans say, after they signed Sancho, even though he basically wants to occupy the same space as Bruno? "Sancho will fix our right wing .. let's stick him with a FB that's even worse than Meunier going forward". And then surprise surprise ... you give him a huge contract, you put him into a context, where he's been proven to be ineffective at his previous club and then everyone is soooo surprised that he's not in good shape and keeps losing motivation and/or confidence.

Kagawa: let's sign a no 10 and force him on the wing, playing Moyesball.

Mkhitaryan: let's sign this super sensitive confidence player based on one good season in a dominant team ... a perfect match for Mourinho!

But it must be because of the league... because apparently tactics and psychology don't exist.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Those are nice words but they're just words. Do you mind to take Sancho back, then? Never mind 100m, but at 60m (at 40% discount price you think he's worth)?.
I'm not a BVB fan but I'd take Sancho for 60m at my club in a heartbeat, yeah. And I wouldn't think twice if I were Dortmund either.

Edit: Since we're in the Bellingham thread: If you'd let menchoose between Sancho and him, I'd still pick Sancho.

Last edited:

Chief123

I take any stats from the Bundesliga with a pinch of salt nowadays. Elanga would rip up that league.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
I take any stats from the Bundesliga with a pinch of salt nowadays. Elanga would rip up that league.
Another one of those lazy, uninformed comments.

did you watch Bellingham in champions league Have you seen Lewandowski or Haaland’s stats in their new leagues?

Bellingham is almost top scorer in Champions League. Haaland is scoring at a higher rate in PL than in Bundesliga. Plenty of players have effortlessly made the switch from BL to PL. some players have struggled, as happens all the time. Hazard and Sane struggled after their moves away from PL. it happens.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Why does everything always have to be about the league? Football isn't played 1 vs 1, every performance is given in the context of an 11 vs 11 game. 10 team mates and a coach, who can elevate you or drag you down. It's so monumentally stupid to think that when a player switches club the deciding factor is not the player's mindset, the tactical context, the team mates, the clubs, the coach, the pressure... no! It's the league!

United has been a mess, no overarching philosophy, seemingly no coherent transfer strategy, one subpar coach after another.. and people are wondering why, when the club buys a player, who got utilized to his fullest at his previous club, doesn't perform as expected, when he's given a HUGE contract and thrown into that shit show. Really?

Case in point Sancho.. a player, who at Dortmund first excelled when paired with Hakimi, who covered the entire flank all game long, so Sancho could move into the half space and act closer to a no 10 than a traditional winger. Then remember when everyone was making fun of Dortmund, because Sancho was having a terrible couple of months after the transfer didn't materialize in 2020? That was actually, because Hakimi was replaced with Meunier and Sancho had to take on more winger duties himself. His form only improved (and drastically so) after he was moved to the left and had FB with top tier attacking qualities (Guerreiro) behind him. So what do United fans say, after they signed Sancho, even though he basically wants to occupy the same space as Bruno? "Sancho will fix our right wing .. let's stick him with a FB that's even worse than Meunier going forward". And then surprise surprise ... you give him a huge contract, you put him into a context, where he's been proven to be ineffective at his previous club and then everyone is soooo surprised that he's not in good shape and keeps losing motivation and/or confidence.

Kagawa: let's sign a no 10 and force him on the wing, playing Moyesball.

Mkhitaryan: let's sign this super sensitive confidence player based on one good season in a dominant team ... a perfect match for Mourinho!

But it must be because of the league... because apparently tactics and psychology don't exist.
Spot on! Mané is actually another proof of your point. He was perfectly integrated in this Liverpool team. He got the right partners and position. Deservedly became runner up in this year's Balloon d'Or election.

However, he struggles tremendously at Bayern and is the disappointment of the season so far.
And Bayern is much better shape and position than United in 2021 when Sancho joint them.

As you stated there can be many reasons why a player doesn't perform at his new club, the league he is coming from is only a very minor.

Son

Sancho was incredible at times for Dortmund. He was in the top 10 most exciting players on the planet easily a couple of years ago so let’s not change history.

He’s a top player but it’s just a shame he’s not really fitted in at United. The Premier League style seems to award physicality which Sancho doesn’t have.

Adama Traoré is an awesome example flipped the other way. Great in the Premier League using his power but in La Liga he seemed to be found out. Couldn’t score in 20+ games even playing for Barcelona.

Does it make him a poor player? No. He just isn’t suited to that role. Sancho would tear it up in La Liga I assume like he did in Germany.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’m personally okay for us to never buy a Dortmund player again.

Chief123

Have you seen Mané and Hudson Odoi play this season? :)
Yes. I’ve also seen Sancho play who you claimed to be faster than Mane and Salah and most other wingers in the world. But let’s not go there again.

Varun

Staff
Sancho was incredible at times for Dortmund. He was in the top 10 most exciting players on the planet easily a couple of years ago so let’s not change history.

He’s a top player but it’s just a shame he’s not really fitted in at United. The Premier League style seems to award physicality which Sancho doesn’t have.

Adama Traoré is an awesome example flipped the other way. Great in the Premier League using his power but in La Liga he seemed to be found out. Couldn’t score in 20+ games even playing for Barcelona.

Does it make him a poor player? No. He just isn’t suited to that role. Sancho would tear it up in La Liga I assume like he did in Germany.
Adama has been wank in the PL too. Only one's benefitting from his stint are the oil manufacturers in the area.

SinNombre

did you watch Bellingham in champions league Have you seen Lewandowski or Haaland’s stats in their new leagues?

Bellingham is almost top scorer in Champions League. Haaland is scoring at a higher rate in PL than in Bundesliga. Plenty of players have effortlessly made the switch from BL to PL. some players have struggled, as happens all the time. Hazard and Sane struggled after their moves away from PL. it happens.
Haaland is a pretty lazy example - he has great stats every place he has been in including Norway, Salzburg and the Norwegian NT and there is a reason why United tried to sign him on every one of those moves.

He is not an example of a player who has only had success in the BuLi.

There aren’t many examples of players who have only had success in Germany and even more so at Dortmund who have done well elsewhere.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yes. I’ve also seen Sancho play who you claimed to be faster than Mane and Salah and most other wingers in the world. But let’s not go there again.
No, not most other wingers in the world, but faster than Salah and Mané in the UCL last season. Which is a fact, not an opinion, like it or not :)

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The Bundesliga brigade has more zeal for their league than balkans have for their country, so bizzare.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

How is it Lazy?

Sancho, Werner and Havertz looked world class in that league. In the PL they don't look up to it.

The Bundesliga is a really poor league. Doesn't help having a champion 10 years on the trot does it? Even City haven't managed that and they have a Sheikh and Pep.