Jude Bellingham | Confirmed Borussia Dortmund player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

Is he good enough to play in the starting XI FROM DAY ONE?

If the answer is “yes”, 30m is fine. If “no”, then we have more critical issues than buying talent for the future. We need players who improve our midfield here and now.

meamth

Continue buying for the first team? We spent £45m net last summer and didn't buy a midfielder or an attacker even though Ole said we would do to cover the outgoing players (Lukaku, Herrera). All we did was cover Sanchez with James.

If you think we're going to spend £30m on a player for two years from now and still have enough funds to invest for now, you're delusional. The owners have massively tightened the purse strings. That's the point i made. Where is the sign that we've got all this money to spend?
I always believed that Ole wanted to sign players, but he needed to get rid of the players first. Plus our wage structure was out of order and letting players leave first meant we're steadying the squad.

By the time we cleared out the squad, it's too late for the club to make the move to sign the right players. Hence our season is ruined, just like that.

The money is there, we're the only club functioning with our own money, our cash aren't limitless as City or Chelsea. We can't afford to rush things and sign players like we did before. So if this the new recruitment plans, let's stick with it.

But I don't believe it if we going to let him go back to Birmingham, this is for the first team. Ole is building a youthful team, so be it. This is the signing that fits the profile.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I always believed that Ole wanted to sign players, but he needed to get rid of the players first. Plus our wage structure was out of order and letting players leave first meant we're steadying the squad.

By the time we cleared out the squad, it's too late for the club to make the move to sign the right players. Hence our season is ruined, just like that.

The money is there, we're the only club functioning with our own money, our cash aren't limitless as City or Chelsea. We can't afford to rush things and sign players like we did before. So if this the new recruitment plans, let's stick with it.

But I don't believe it if we going to let him go back to Birmingham, this is for the first team. Ole is building a youthful team, so be it. This is the signing that fits the profile.
Like I said.....I'd sooner that £30m goes towards a Bruno Fernandes type player who is ready now and we invest time into Garner n Mejbri who are both terrific young players anyway. Our first team squad is light years behind. Our academy thankfully isn't.

He may well be a good prospect but there are gaping issues that need addressing first for me.

Smores

Strange that the people defending the club from claims of being cheap in the Bruno thread are suddenly defending the club from an apparent ridiculous fee in here :houllier:

Don't people get bored running from thread to thread defending the club at every turn.

Hughes35

Exactly the type of signing we should be making....... On top of some ready made players to improve the team.

Very happy that we finally seem to have long term planning with players like Maguire, AWB, Cannibal and James but we also need some immediate improvements in the first team.

I would be happy if this went through though.

LVGSdive

born and bred bluenose, sos all his family and the club are in FFP difficulty so they wont just refuse a pro contract and leave for a tribunal fee. Hes not new - hes been on the radar of every top club since he was about 11, theyve all tried to bring him to their academies but he hasn't left because he loves the club and so do his parents and they were adamant hed never get the chance to play anywhere else. Its a fluke he did anyway - birmingham were short handed in the start of the summer so took a load of youth players on the pre season tour and it became quickly obvious he was ready to play first team football despite age (read this on a birminghammail post about him and those are basically their managers words). Phelan watched him in person as well apparantly
Him and his parents were smart. Apart from the ego boost being at an academy of a 'top club', it's literally impossible to break into the first team. Much better off actually playing for a lesser club then working their way up than just being part of a stockpiled group.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Are they actually saying we're paying 30m upfront? Find that hard to believe.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
having him and Mejbri in the system would be absolutely brilliant.
yeah - they can develop together like gomez and chong then bugger off in a few seasons when they dont get games...
If we are in for him I at least hope we loan him back for a season or two as hes played 25 games in the championship this year - thise regular compatative games are probably going to aid his development than a nicer training ground and U18 or U23 fixtures

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Him and his parents were smart. Apart from the ego boost being at an academy of a 'top club', it's literally impossible to break into the first team. Much better off actually playing for a lesser club then working their way up than just being part of a stockpiled group.
You mean like Alexander-Arnold, Rice, Ramsdale, Rashford, McTominay and others are doing?

If you're good enough you'll get your chance rather sooner than later.

DanClancy

We have a annual EBIDTA of £150 million, and £250 million in the bank. MUFC is a VERY rich football club without relying on oilmoney.

The £30 million for a young starlet who is not ready to contribute today, is well within the operating budget of this football club.
United have £140m in cash in the last accounts that were released, it was over £300m just 3 months earlier. United had to pay everything upfront for Maguire which is unusual.

theklr

Are they actually saying we're paying 30m upfront? Find that hard to believe.
Dont think anyone is saying that?

I'm guessing there is a lot of add-ons included, if not it would be pretty mental.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This. I have no idea why top young players go to the bigger academies anymore.

The championship seems to be a great place for young 16-21 year olds to make a name for themselves, the premiership is just too tough and managers under too much pressure to bring kids through.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Foden would walk into the Man Utd team and be the best player. It's mind-boggling that Pep is too pussy to play him. That's what happens when you have too many outstanding midfielders. It's like De Bruyne and Mo Salah under Jose, they'd have been kept dumped on the bench had Jose kept them, yet become superstars as soon as the get minutes elsewhere
Yeah that's nonsense. He's good but he'll not anywhere near our best player. Ridiculous overrating.

Jezpeza

So what is everyone moaning about then?!
I think the gist is everyone moaning wants us to use the money plus another hundred million to bid for mbappe or sancho or someone else who wont want to join us. Theres also seems to be a second group who want a ‘first team player’ who dont seem to realise that you can be in a first team squad before the age of 24

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think the gist is everyone moaning wants us to use the money plus another hundred million to bid for mbappe or sancho or someone else who wont want to join us. Theres also seems to be a second group who want a ‘first team player’ who dont seem to realise that you can be in a first team squad before the age of 24
It's all kind of irrelevant, as if people are circling him now, we have to move now. People moan all the bloody time about how we don't snap up talents before they go to Dortmund, or Leicester and have to pay through the nose to get them - but as soon as we do that, all of a sudden we're all bothered about the budget.

lysglimt

Scout
Strange that the people defending the club from claims of being cheap in the Bruno thread are suddenly defending the club from an apparent ridiculous fee in here :houllier:

Don't people get bored running from thread to thread defending the club at every turn.
And since we have no clue about the price - it's a rather silly discussion to be having. If the fee was £30 mill up front - that is one thing, but if the fee is £10 mill up front and £20 m based on clauses - now suddenly it wouldn't be so bad

Also have to add - we apparently paid £9 mill for Mejbri if rumours are to believed - doubt many will complain about that price in 2-3 years if he continues to progress from what he is today

Jezpeza

It's all kind of irrelevant, as if people are circling him now, we have to move now. People moan all the bloody time about how we don't snap up talents before they go to Dortmund, or Leicester and have to pay through the nose to get them - but as soon as we do that, all of a sudden we're all bothered about the budget.
yeah but if we sign him now i dont get the chance to come on caf and moan in two years time that we didn't sign him and now have to overpay and call woodward and the glazers a few names

cyberman

If the answer is “yes”, 30m is fine. If “no”, then we have more critical issues than buying talent for the future. We need players who improve our midfield here and now.
This is really short sighted.

Jezpeza

This is really short sighted.
yeah. Beside, We have loads of pacey, attacking midfield players who score and create chances and can dribble and mainly play the ball forward. Loads of them.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
yeah. Beside, We have loads of pacey, attacking midfield players who score and create chances and can dribble and mainly play the ball forward. Loads of them.
Whats that got to do with securing a future top class talent

Stadjer

Haha exactly.. if we fused together the best parts of Mata, Lingard and Pereira together we might have something that closely resembles that pacey, attacking midfielder who scores, creates, dribbles and plays the ball forward.

Jezpeza

Whats that got to do with securing a future top class talent
i was being sarcastic. I dont see him as future, I think he could go straight into the first team squad. We dont have a player that does what he does. (Well, not one that wants to play for us anymore).

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Haha exactly.. if we fused together the best parts of Mata, Lingard and Pereira together we might have something that closely resembles that pacey, attacking midfielder who scores, creates, dribbles and plays the ball forward.
I don't think Lingard has any 'best part'. His movement is overrated and he offers nothing else. At least Pereira offers work rate. This fusion will be mainly 90% Mata and 10% Pereira.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

You will probably be banging on about ‘poor planning’ or the typical buzzwords in some other thread.

Any decent club thinks beyond the next 10 games when buying assets.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Thats pretty much what an 18 year old Wayne Rooney cost us in 2004.

But it was 100% guaranteed that Rooney would be a sensational talent when we signed him.

Is there the same certainty around this kid?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Heaven’s sake.

Lynty

But it was 100% guaranteed that Rooney would be a sensational talent when we signed him.

He's better than Pogba was at 16. But nothing is certain

enwhykiid

And since we have no clue about the price - it's a rather silly discussion to be having. If the fee was £30 mill up front - that is one thing, but if the fee is £10 mill up front and £20 m based on clauses - now suddenly it wouldn't be so bad

Also have to add - we apparently paid £9 mill for Mejbri if rumours are to believed - doubt many will complain about that price in 2-3 years if he continues to progress from what he is today
That's exactly what we did with Mejbri. We didn't give them the whole fee up front, it's all tied to incentives which I'm sure the £30m for Jude includes a lot of as well.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Incredible amount of money for a 16 year old if it’s true.
If we get him I hope we actually plan to use him rather than stick him on the bench or in the reserves.
That being said, if he’s as good as he’s made out to be he’ll have no problems getting in our side.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Which would put Rooney at around £100m in today's market. Not really comparable.

Dan600

He's 16 and playing regularly in the Championship, as opposed to Rooney way back when at Everton in the PL at 18, when we paid £33M, how does it compare? Inflation and all etc. There was a table back in 2017 adjusting fees for inflation, estimated Rooney's fee at £130 something million in todays money, about 4 times the fee. Di Maria in 2014/15 was £67.5M, in 2017 was estimated at £102.7M adjusted for inflation, so about 1.52 times the fee.

Putting context, actually makes the fee seem more plausible, depending on just how good he is... £30M today in 2019 is presumably further inflated. I can imagine £30M is roughly like a £10-15M fee back before 2017. Would that have been reasonable back then?

https://i.redd.it/w4wx1ne0frbz.jpg

enwhykiid

He's 16 and playing regularly in the Championship, as opposed to Rooney way back when at Everton in the PL at 18, when we paid £33M, how does it compare? Inflation and all etc. There was a table back in 2017 adjusting fees for inflation, estimated Rooney's fee at £130 something million in todays money, about 4 times the fee. Di Maria in 2014/15 was £67.5M, in 2017 was estimated at £102.7M adjusted for inflation, so about 1.52 times the fee.

Putting context, actually makes the fee seem more plausible, depending on just how good he is... £30M today in 2019 is presumably further inflated. I can imagine £30M is roughly like a £10-15M fee back before 2017. Would that have been reasonable back then?

https://i.redd.it/w4wx1ne0frbz.jpg
inflation doesn't increase by 1.5x in 3y that's not accurate at all.

A better metric is fee compared to earnings for the team

Status
Not open for further replies.