Jude Bellingham | Confirmed Borussia Dortmund player

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Considering we only spent £45m NET in the summer when taking into account who we sold.....I'd say that £30m could go towards a decent player for sure.

I have no issues signing players like this but not at the expense of neglecting the first team.
Who has actually said its at the expense of the first team?
How does that work exactly? Do we spend 30m tomorrow if this deal falls through? Or throw it all on Bruno and get it done?

Jezpeza

Why does the £30m have to buy you a player outright? Can't it be used towards a player? Jesus wept.....I bet you have Glazer and Woodward Pyjamas don't you?
but towards what player? Yeah if we add on a 100 million we can use it for sancho but i dont think he wants to come

mu4c_20le

Liverpool got Harvey Barnes for nothing didn't they?
Barnes is a winger for Leicester, you are probably thinking of Harvey Elliot, unless they signed him too. Elliott turned down a contract so he could move.

TrueRed79

:lol:

Not quite.
McT is not the second coming. I rate him but he is a limited player, i have seen him play in the flesh twice. He has room for improvement and will get better but long term will be a squad player IMO.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I really want us to sign him as I've seen our potential but if he is our only signing this window then I really do give up to be honest.

Lynty

Looks likely. Nobody turns down £30m for a 16 year old.

Think this will be it though for the window.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How is it?
A 16 year old who just started playing regularly in the championship is definitely not ready to come into a team like United and play for the first team. Let him develop for another year away from the pressure, he'll be 17/turning 18 when he joins us which is still so so young.

Lynty

Makes me wonder, if this goes through, is he the most expensive 16 year old player?
I'd say so.

I believe the current record for a 16 year old is Pietro Pellegri £18m to Monaco

DBT85

Maybe its been covered but how do you sign a player that can't sign a contract until he's 17? Like I get it, we sign young players at lower levels, but is ther anything to stop them (or him) getting to 17 and going "naa I'll sign pro elsewhere thanks"?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'd say so.

I believe the current record for a 16 year old is Pietro Pellegri £18m to Monaco
Didnt Madrid sign couple of Brazilians who were 16-17 for 30-40 million?

Jezpeza

Maybe its been covered but how do you sign a player that can't sign a contract until he's 17? Like I get it, we sign young players at lower levels, but is ther anything to stop them (or him) getting to 17 and going "naa I'll sign pro elsewhere thanks"?
born and bred bluenose, sos all his family and the club are in FFP difficulty so they wont just refuse a pro contract and leave for a tribunal fee. Hes not new - hes been on the radar of every top club since he was about 11, theyve all tried to bring him to their academies but he hasn't left because he loves the club and so do his parents and they were adamant hed never get the chance to play anywhere else. Its a fluke he did anyway - birmingham were short handed in the start of the summer so took a load of youth players on the pre season tour and it became quickly obvious he was ready to play first team football despite age (read this on a birminghammail post about him and those are basically their managers words). Phelan watched him in person as well apparantly

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm all for snapping up the best young players around but £30m for a 16year old championship player is madness. Not to mention we have Garner, Mejbri etc already at the club who both look quality midfielders in the making.

We don't have endless supplies of money contrary to what fans on here think. That £30m needs to be invested into first team squad right now. We have more talented youth players than I can remember for last 20 years. What we haven't got is many talented seniors.
Give it a rest, will ya?

We don't, we have more than most though. The youth development team have a separate budget to the first team. Adding an additional £30mil isn't going to make a whole lot difference anyway. The reason why we aren't signing the likes of Bruno isn't because we don't have the money, it's because we don't want to get fleeced every time we look to sign someone. Our expenditure over the last 5 years is second only to City, over the last 10 we are behind sugardaddy clubs City and PSG. A lot of that has been spent on big players that invariably failed at the club.

The scouts have highlighted him as someone we must bring in. It's not a coincidence that the likes of Dortmund and Bayern have been asking after him. There's rumour Liverpool, Barcelona and Arsenal are watching him too.

Considering we only spent £45m NET in the summer when taking into account who we sold.....I'd say that £30m could go towards a decent player for sure.
Eh? We spent between £75-80mil in the summer (dependant on sources), roughly the same as City.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Both 18 when they signed for Real according to Transfermarkt
They joined when they were 18 but they were signed when they were 16. They can't join before 18.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
McT is not the second coming. I rate him but he is a limited player, i have seen him play in the flesh twice. He has room for improvement and will get better but long term will be a squad player IMO.
That’s what I thought about Fletcher. Turned out to be a very important player for us

Lynty

They joined when they were 18 but they were signed when they were 16. They can't join before 18.
Perhaps.

A quick google search confirmed Bellingham would be the most expensive 16 year old at the price. So perhpas the technicalities of those brazilian transfers rule them out.

Dan600

what does 30m buy you now that gives us a senior player that improves the squad? Answers on a postage stamp.
Couldn't say for definite (Only follow the Prem currently), but I imagine there are some out there right now. In the past 3 seasons, the below have been signed elsewhere for sub £30M. Granted not many would improve us, but, it shows that there are players available for less. We always seem to go for the in demand players, and rarely get someone in before the world and his dog knows we are in for them.

Maddison £22.5M
Dendoncker £12.5M
Neves £16M
Moura £25M
Andre Gomes £22.5M
Delph £8.5M
Barkley £15M
Torreira £26M
Guendouzi £7M
Max Meyer Free
Kouyate £10M
Almiron £22M
Saint-Maximin £16M
Jack Cork £8M
Trossard £18M
Bissouma £15M
Propper £12M
Gross £3M
Alzate £100k
Fornals £25M
F Anderson £28M
Wilshere Free
Billing £15M
Lerma £25M
Brooks £10M
Sarr £27M
Deulofeu £12M
W Hughes £8M
Chalobah £6M

Just think, £53M for Fred, £40M for Matic, £95M for Pogba, £188M...

All that said, £30M on 16 year old Bellingham seems mental to me...

meamth

Couldn't say for definite (Only follow the Prem currently), but I imagine there are some out there right now. In the past 3 seasons, the below have been signed elsewhere for sub £30M. Granted not many would improve us, but, it shows that there are players available for less. We always seem to go for the in demand players, and rarely get someone in before the world and his dog knows we are in for them.

Maddison £22.5M
Dendoncker £12.5M
Neves £16M
Moura £25M
Andre Gomes £22.5M
Delph £8.5M
Barkley £15M
Torreira £26M
Guendouzi £7M
Max Meyer Free
Kouyate £10M
Almiron £22M
Saint-Maximin £16M
Jack Cork £8M
Trossard £18M
Bissouma £15M
Propper £12M
Gross £3M
Alzate £100k
Fornals £25M
F Anderson £28M
Wilshere Free
Billing £15M
Lerma £25M
Brooks £10M
Sarr £27M
Deulofeu £12M
W Hughes £8M
Chalobah £6M

Was that before or after Neymar.

You can't compare those transfers to the club size like United. It's not even comparable.

Being a big club we will always be charged premium.

EDIT:
..and most of the transfers listed is players rejected by their club, ie: Wilshere, Moura, Deulofeu, Delph..
Sure there will lalways be gems, but Jude is considered as a generational talent, so 30 million is logical.

Liverpool signed some cheap talents like Shaqiri, Andy Robertson, etc, but when they have to buy for quality, they have to spend like us did.

Jezpeza

Maddison £22.5M
Dendoncker £12.5M
Neves £16M
Moura £25M
Andre Gomes £22.5M
Delph £8.5M
Barkley £15M
Torreira £26M
Guendouzi £7M
Max Meyer Free
Kouyate £10M
Almiron £22M
Saint-Maximin £16M
Jack Cork £8M
Trossard £18M
Bissouma £15M
Propper £12M
Gross £3M
Alzate £100k
Fornals £25M
F Anderson £28M
Wilshere Free
Billing £15M
Lerma £25M
Brooks £10M
Sarr £27M
Deulofeu £12M
W Hughes £8M
Chalobah £6M

this is my point. Look at the maddison fee? It would be 80 now for us. We need to start cutting out the middle club.

its Not like we will win the title any time in the next two years anyway. We can afford to play developing players. Also, none of the rest would improve us bar neves, moura, sarr or maxim, in my opinion, so the price isnt really relevant? Whats the point of buying something cheap that you have no use for?

meamth

this is my point. Look at the maddison fee? It would be 80 now for us. We need to start cutting out the middle club.

its Not like we will win the title any time in the next two years anyway. We can afford to play developing players. Also, none of the rest would improve us bar neves, moura, sarr or maxim, in my opinion, so the price isnt really relevant? Whats the point of buying something cheap that you have no use for?
I think this is it, Jude might cost us 30 million for now but he will eventually be that 100 million player. (Considering he fulfilled his potential)

We are beginning to sign the gems, albeit only one for now with Dan James (For the first team). Maybe if we look closely the youth signings we made after Ole came in, it's something of a new transfer strategy. (Mejbri, Hoogewerf, etc.)

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Barnes is a winger for Leicester, you are probably thinking of Harvey Elliot, unless they signed him too. Elliott turned down a contract so he could move.
Sorry yes Elliot. That's who I meant.

I think £30m on a player for the future is fantastic if you have your house in order. We don't though. We need a couple of midfielders who are ready now, another forward, another winger perhaps and maybe even yet another defender given how we still can't defend.

And the biggest issue I have with it is we actually have two outstanding midfield prospects already at the club in Garner and Mejbri. Makes no sense to me.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

I'd say so.

He and Willem Geubbels were both bought for a similar fee IIRC
Didn't really turn out so well, they've both been injured non-stop since then.

TrueRed79

That’s what I thought about Fletcher. Turned out to be a very important player for us
But i never said McT is a bad player or that he wouldn't be of value or not important for us. You need his type of player in the squad, absolutely 100%.

meamth

Sorry yes Elliot. That's who I meant.

I think £30m on a player for the future is fantastic if you have your house in order. We don't though. We need a couple of midfielders who are ready now, another forward, another winger perhaps and maybe even yet another defender given how we still can't defend.

And the biggest issue I have with it is we actually have two outstanding midfield prospects already at the club in Garner and Mejbri. Makes no sense to me.
What if he is a special talent and peaked early at 17-19?

If we missed that, this place will be showered with criticism.

This is good man, for many many years we've been signing players in the 20's. This is reminiscent of us signing the Anderson's, Nani's, Ronaldo's, Rooney...

Jezpeza

I think this is it, Jude might cost us 30 million for now but he will eventually be that 100 million player. (Considering he fulfilled his potential)

We are beginning to sign the gems, albeit only one for now with Dan James (For the first team). Maybe if we look closely the youth signings we made after Ole came in, it's something of a new transfer strategy. (Mejbri, Hoogewerf, etc.)
yeah. James, greenwood, perhaps bellingham, williams, axel. We have some pretty hot youth players and they will only get better.

im not convinced by the ability of gones and chong or if they are staying.

Theres also rashford and martial who are young still. I think people think that players have to be a certain age to be ‘good enough’ or ‘1st team’ or senior. I disagree. If they get enough games they can be senior by 20.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What if he is a special talent and peaked early at 17-19?

If we missed that, this place will be showered with criticism.

This is good man, for many many years we've been signing players in the 20's. This is reminiscent of us signing the Anderson's, Nani's, Ronaldo's, Rooney...
Maybe. However I'm not convinced. Birmingham are apparently wanting him to stay for at least 18 months too if you believe the press. One article even stated kept on loan until May 2022 which seems bonkers to me. Why would you spend that kind of money for a player to stay where he is for 2.5 years? That's got to be BS that one.

Anyway.....like I said previously, we've got some outstanding prospects already here. More than we've had at any one time since class of 92 most probably. We're light years away from Liverpool and City in the first team not the academy. Our young teams usually beat them or run them close. I go to watch quite a few of them as I live near Leigh Sports Village.

meamth

Maybe. However I'm not convinced. Birmingham are apparently wanting him to stay for at least 18 months too if you believe the press. One article even stated kept on loan until May 2022 which seems bonkers to me. Why would you spend that kind of money for a player to stay where he is for 2.5 years? That's got to be BS that one.

Anyway.....like I said previously, we've got some outstanding prospects already here. More than we've had at any one time since class of 92 most probably. We're light years away from Liverpool and City in the first team not the academy. Our young teams usually beat them or run them close. I go to watch quite a few of them as I live near Leigh Sports Village.
If he is available now, and the price is on that level, why not? If that's the deal, then fine, develop him for us for 2 years.
We can continue buying for the first team, 30 million is peanuts nowadays.

If we wait, and he developed so well, caught so many attention, 30 million won't get you Jude Bellingham at 18 years old.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If he is available now, and the price is on that level, why not? If that's the deal, then fine, develop him for us for 2 years.
We can continue buying for the first team, 30 million is peanuts nowadays.

If we wait, and he developed so well, caught so many attention, 30 million won't get you Jude Bellingham at 18 years old.
Continue buying for the first team? We spent £45m net last summer and didn't buy a midfielder or an attacker even though Ole said we would do to cover the outgoing players (Lukaku, Herrera). All we did was cover Sanchez with James.

If you think we're going to spend £30m on a player for two years from now and still have enough funds to invest for now, you're delusional. The owners have massively tightened the purse strings. That's the point i made. Where is the sign that we've got all this money to spend?

SteveW

He looks great. We will probably be delirious in a couple of years when he's world class. But I'm sure everyone is giving out as always

Status
Not open for further replies.