Jude Bellingham | Confirmed Borussia Dortmund player

Status
Not open for further replies.

klayton88

Oh stop being a rat lad
What's your problem? I'm simply stating the article 10 days ago said 12.5 and It's now being quoted at 30m. I'm sure it could be the media just making figures up, as they do, but I also wouldn't for a second doubt ED would offer 30m just because we can do things that other clubs can only dream about.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
£30m for a 16 year old is madness. Liverpool and Chelsea signed Mane & Kante for that.
The money in transfers is sickening, but Mane and Kante were both pre Neymar so their value a few seasons back is irrelevant, if youwanted their equivalent now you'd be looking at 60 - 70 million easily and given Kante came from Leicester you could add another 20 mill to that!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What's your problem? I'm simply stating the article 10 days ago said 12.5 and It's now being quoted at 30m. I'm sure it could be the media just making figures up, as they do, but I also wouldn't for a second doubt ED would offer 30m just because we can do things that other clubs can only dream about.
It is interesting how so many articles and journalists are believed and taken as gospel when it comes to negative news but disregarded as unreliable when it is something positive.

klayton88

It is interesting how so many articles and journalists are believed and taken as gospel when it comes to negative news but disregarded as unreliable when it is something positive.
Agreed. I don't believe the Mirror for a second because my dad buys the Mirror and isn't aware of reputable sources itks etc. So he is always telling me about player x we are in for and I'm like dad it's the Mirror.

AneRu

£30m for a 16 year old is madness. Liverpool and Chelsea signed Mane & Kante for that.
What would you pay for a 16 year old Roy Keane or Steven Gerard if you had seen enough evidence that they would grow to be that good? I know its always a risk with young lads and exposing them to large sums of money but this kid has shown promising signs at a young age.

I wouldn't pay a guaranteed £30m but I would negotiate a heavily incentivised deal. Maybe £20m upfront and a further £10m in add ins based on appearances.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It definitely is madness. But it depends on just how big a talent he is. If he turns out to be a top top player nobody will care about the fee. If he's mediocre/disappointing it becomes an issue.

Thiagoal

I’m not sure why people think it’s a good idea for a 16 year old to be playing regular football! History tells us that kids that break through so young have careers ravaged by injuries and/ or are burnt out by age 28!

I’d rather buy him and develop him slowly- managing his game time rather than sending him back to Birmingham and having a tough couple of years getting kicked about in the championship

Kostov

Kante had a release clause IIRC. Would have gone for double that amount otherwise, even in 2016
Why are we always late on this deal though? There is always some excuse by our PR team. I am sure there is some CAM out there with a release clause which other teams can sign when they need them, but when it comes to us, we have to go and pay 50m for Fred or 60m for Bruno.

Marcelinho87

I’m not sure why people think it’s a good idea for a 16 year old to be playing regular football! History tells us that kids that break through so young have careers ravaged by injuries and/ or are burnt out by age 28!

I’d rather buy him and develop him slowly- managing his game time rather than sending him back to Birmingham and having a tough couple of years getting kicked about in the championship
History tells us with which players? Owen and Rooney? Who else?

Champagne Football

30 million for a kid who has same level of talent as Jadon Sancho/Rashford is not a huge amount of cash. Joao Felix went for £113 million as a 19 year old.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He would be playing his age 16&17 seasons in the Championship with his hometown club where he's already settled in. He would be with United starting his age 18 season.

There has to be a level of concern on how you handle a 16-year old's development if he's not coming from a reputed academy or playing with highly technical and savvy players who can act as guiding lights.

If we are buying this lad, his development is then purely in our interest and responsibility, at which point you look at Birmingham and ask if they're good enough to take him on a progression that benefits us.

I do have concerns for these extremely young prodigies in that they get played too hard and too often and everything seems fine and dandy with them... until they hit 27ish or so and are already fading due to having played too many games in the adult world (Cesc, as a CM, is the prime example).

I don't have an answer as to how you develop them properly because, I guess, when you're ready, you're ready, but these are still formative years of development and I can't help but wonder where the best place is for someone like him to improve on a technical level.

He's playing in the Championship, so there's no question he can handle the physicality and whatnot, but that's not ultimately what matters for us as we can gladly spare a year or two to round out a better product and worry about the physical aspects further down the road.

It's an unenviable task to handle the growth of someone who is 'ready' now on some levels, but is only 16 years of age.
Quoting my other post as well as @Thiagoal 's because it's a serious bone of contention whether him staying in the Championship is the best way for him to develop, or even if Birmingham City have the means to best improve a prodigious youngster.

It's not often 16 year old central midfielders rock up to the men's game and take it by storm like this kid seems to be doing. In turn, handling their development is a great unknown because it happens so infrequently, there is no methodology in place as there is with prodigious attackers.

Playing a child in the man's game might look great now, but further down the line, it may be seen as detrimental to his career. The Championship is a notoriously physically hard and demanding league, again, the best way to develop a child? It will harden him, sure, but what else?

Smores

No way are we paying 30million for him. Gotta be paper nonsense.

Thiagoal

History tells us with which players? Owen and Rooney? Who else?
Oh there are literally hundreds of them... Fabregas, Joe Cole, Dyer, Wilshere, just off the top of my head!

If anyone seriously believes a 16/17 year olds body is ready for the demands of first team football they’re delusional imo- not mentally ready either!

BalanceUnAutreJoint

30 million for a kid who has same level of talent as Jadon Sancho/Rashford is not a huge amount of cash. Joao Felix went for £113 million as a 19 year old.
In 2017 people were saying Foden and CHO had the same "talent" as Jadon Sancho and I sure as hell am not seeing it 3 years later.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
In 2017 people were saying Foden and CHO had the same "talent" as Jadon Sancho and I sure as hell am not seeing it 3 years later.
Foden doesn’t get quite the same opportunity as you’d expect given their midfield strength but CHO hasn’t come on as I’d thought.

I think the Bayern move would have brought him on

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why does any team sign any player on loan?

This way they get to keep the player and get the transfer fee. How would it benefit them to not have the player instead of having the player?
We're not talking about any player though, we're talking about a 16 year old who I presume isn't first choice

Santos J

We're not talking about any player though, we're talking about a 16 year old who I presume isn't first choice
He's pretty much a regular, he's played the 2nd most minutes out of their midfielders this season.

ColvaleGoa

Woodward messing Birmingham around, just to keep the flak off him. Must be 5m upfront and 10m when he wins Balon d'Or and 15 when he wins Golden boot.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
No way are we paying 30million for him. Gotta be paper nonsense.
If we are, we better close the Bruno and Jude deal at the same time. Otherwise, it will mess with each other's final price and we will lose both the deals.

Santos J

Would be interesting to see how it's done if we sign him now, pretty sure we can't loan out players under the age of 18.

Bestofthebest

We would be better off buying the guy who discovered him than the player himself. We do not appear to have anyone to spot young talent.

Classical Mechanic

Could he come straight into our midfield like how Fabregas did for Arsenal? Is he that good?
I doubt it, he's still very raw. I don't think he has that intelligence in his all round game all the time yet. I think he's still growing into his adult body too and seems to lose balance a lot.

Champagne Football

Foden would walk into the Man Utd team and be the best player. It's mind-boggling that Pep is too pussy to play him. That's what happens when you have too many outstanding midfielders. It's like De Bruyne and Mo Salah under Jose, they'd have been kept dumped on the bench had Jose kept them, yet become superstars as soon as the get minutes elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.