Jude Bellingham | Real Madrid player

Gonçalo Motta

Messi could not train and be the same. He’s a born natural. His biggest turning point was the growth hormone which he needed medically.

Ronaldo would be a Europa player if he was not an obsessive beast of a trainer. Ronaldo is the role model to those who want to see the rewards of hard work.
That's so wrong that I wonder if people only started to watch football in the last couple of years. He was massively talented and was already considered one of the best young talents when he was 17-18.
No matter how much you train, you will never become that good if you don't have the talent to back it up. His training / winning obsession was what kept him playing consistently at his full potential but he already had the talent to be one of the best.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Do we still have any doubters?

Does anybody think the hundred million was overpriced?

Can I have a thumbs up for any United fans that would love this guy in their team right now?
thumbs down from me. no matter what he does, he’ll never escape the fact he played for birmingham. i disowned my own brother for accidentally getting tickets to an edgbaston test match.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That's so wrong that I wonder if people only started to watch football in the last couple of years. He was massively talented and was already considered one of the best young talents when he was 17-18.
No matter how much you train, you will never become that good if you don't have the talent to back it up. His training / winning obsession was what kept him playing consistently at his full potential but he already had the talent to be one of the best.
You do realize that "Europa League level" meansplaying for a PL top six Club? It's definitely nothing bad.

Gonçalo Motta

You do realize that "Europa League level" meansplaying for a PL top six Club? It's definitely nothing bad.
Never said it was bad, just saying that is wrong.
Telling people that if you train as much as Ronaldo, you can become as good as him is setting up people to fail because being as dedicated as he is, only allowed him to play at his full potential. If the talent isn't there, doesn't really matter how much you train because you are not ever going to reach that level.

You have a good share of highly dedicated professionals who train hard and are nowhere near the levels he reached.

Last edited:

Stadjer

Wasnt Quaresma seen as the better talent though? Do you think that Ronaldo with Quaresma or Hazard his mentalility would still have won (multiple) the Ballon d'or?

Gonçalo Motta

Wasnt Quaresma seen as the better talent though? Do you think that Ronaldo with Quaresma or Hazard his mentalility would still have won (multiple) the Ballon d'or?
Yeah, back then when they were really young if someone said to me that one of those 2 would become one of the best football players ever, I would have bet on Quaresma for sure. Mainly because there is a misconception that players with high levels of technique and dribbling = better talents.
Football talent is way more stuff than that but Quaresma with the mindset of Ronaldo would have been at the very least one of the best players of his generation.

cpresc

I was thinking of players like Juan Mata who were too slow and weak to be an elite player, Europa League player might be an exaggeration, but it was more just to point out that technical doesn't stand out without some physical attributes to go with it and that applies to Messi as well as the other players.
to be fair that’s a decent comparison. Mata with a great burst of acceleration would have been a great player

sherrinford

He’s the closest thing to Zidane I’ve seen since the great man retired in terms of a midfielder who is creative and just glides across the field.

Love Bellinghams style. A little bit of a throwback to the 90’s and early 00’s.

Zidane had better vision maybe but Jude seems more dynamic at times due to the game been more attacking now I think.

Both got into dangerous areas and can use physically in the box. It’s like you’ve got an extra centre forward.
I would much more readily group him with the more vertical, driving attacking midfielders I've seen - De Bruyne, Nedved, Gerrard, Yaya Toure, Ballack and Vidal primarily.

Bellingham does frequently display some nice, nimble footwork to evade defenders when attacking with the ball - which is at odds with his big, powerful frame - so I can see how that might be reminiscent of Zidane to a small extent.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's not 'bad', but Ronaldo was far more talented than 'just' Europa League level. The fact he was constantly compared to Messi (and nobody in history bar maybe Maradona comes out of that comparison well) seems to have led a huge amount of people to downplay the incredible amount of talent that he himself had. There was a reason he was being compared to the likes of Giggs and Best even before his mentality really went into overdrive, and it was his poor decision making rather than relative lack of talent that saw Rooney being higher rated in his first few years.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
I’m 41, so seen a lot more than most on here.

Ronaldo could barely do an effective step over properly when he first landed in the U.K.. That was his natural ability. See how he worked on that with the end result you could barely see his legs move he was so fast. Ronaldo made himself elite. Messi was born elite. They are both equal in legacy for me.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
thumbs down from me. no matter what he does, he’ll never escape the fact he played for birmingham. i disowned my own brother for accidentally getting tickets to an edgbaston test match.
Tell your brother he got tickets for the wrong sport.

Jeffthered

Don't get the Zidane comparisons at all.
Neither do I. He plays nothing like Zinedine Zidane. Bellingham, is a superb talent, but his ability is applying that drive, the box-to-box type power he has. He is good on the ball, for sure, but I wouldn't say he is a 'baller' though. KDB is a baller. Modric, Kroos, a different type of baller... Maddison, not on their level, but he's a baller. Eriksen, Bruno would be our closest comparisons (and Casimero can also play, wonderful on the ball when he isn't having to run around trying to win the ball back on his own.... it frustrates me that ETH hasn't addressed this) These are essentially ball-players. That isn't Bellingham's role. He brings power, focus, and commits the opposition through his dominant runs from midfield. And he wants to score goals. This has become a rarity amongst midfielders in the last decade, that's why SMT looks such an asset when he gets forward and scores goals. So important. Bellingham will inspire midfielders to be more direct, all-action, and dominant. Halaand will do the same for centre-forwards, because he has a similar approach to the game as Bellingham.. dominant, single-minded..and he looks like he's playing a different game sometimes because of it. I love watching these players...

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Ronaldo could barely do an effective step over properly when he first landed in the U.K.. That was his natural ability. See how he worked on that with the end result you could barely see his legs move he was so fast. Ronaldo made himself elite. Messi was born elite. They are both equal in legacy for me.
Ronaldo could barely do an effective step over...?

Go to youtube and watch his debut please.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

:lol: Stahp! For your own good. I would suggest you watch Ronaldo in a Sporting shirt playing against us before he came to the UK. Ronaldo clearly had world class potential from the outset. All the attributes were there sans decision making and working within a team. Ronaldo also came to the country as traditional winger, not even wing-forward or any kind of serious goal contributor.

Gonçalo Motta

And I'm 35 and have seen Ronaldo since his debut on Sporting. Not sure what is the correlation between he overdoing stuff and talent.
His problem was never lack of talent, it was his need to be a show poney and ending up overdoing it all the time.

Must be fun to have selective memory I guess. Obviously, the training helped him to perfect every part of his game but what really helped him in that specific case was that he started to be more focused on being effective instead of being a show poney

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
You cannot play for Manchester United in their most dominant era at 19-20 and not be ridiculously talented. People often confuse being aesthetically pleasing on the ball = talent. So players like Dybala look more naturally talented to the eye than someone like Ronaldo, who looks more mechanical. So yes, Ronaldo's elite dedication to be the best is what made him become one of the greatests, but he always had the potential to be one. If you put a regular academy player and train him like Ronaldo without the talent, he won't get anywhere near.
For his whole career Ronaldo probably had few minor injuries and that is partly due to his lifestyle and dedication, but compare him to someone like Robben who also played at top level at 34/35 and the amount of injuries he had, and you know it's also genetics.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Cristiano finished third in the 2003 Golden Boy and second in the 2004 version both times directly behind Rooney. He was obviously one of the biggest talents in the world even with 17.

gajender

Cristiano finished third in the 2003 Golden Boy and second in the 2004 version both times directly behind Rooney. He was obviously one of the biggest talents in the world even with 17.
He absolutely was and some of the attempts to reduce him simply as product of hard work and determination are laughable to say the least .

Holocene

A 41 year old Birmingham fan joining a United forum to incessantly talk about Bellingham is so fecking weird. Just... why?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I can’t watch him without having this weird regret that we didn’t have our shit together. We miss out on two players in Haaland and Bellingham, and they just happen to be the best players in the world within two years.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
And I'm 35 and have seen Ronaldo since his debut on Sporting. Not sure what is the correlation between he overdoing stuff and talent.
His problem was never lack of talent, it was his need to be a show poney and ending up overdoing it all the time.

Must be fun to have selective memory I guess. Obviously, the training helped him to perfect every part of his game but what really helped him in that specific case was that he started to be more focused on being effective instead of being a show poney
Yes, you are correct. I worded it totally wrong in a rush. The outcomes got better. My meaning of it not being effective at the start is as you described more eloquently.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
A 41 year old Birmingham fan joining a United forum to incessantly talk about Bellingham is so fecking weird. Just... why?
Isn't there more than one? We do occasionally just get the odd bout of random fans, I remember when Leicester started getting billy big bollocks we had a few of them here, seem to have vanished.

Trequarista10

No.

flameinthesun

The Ronaldo that was doing stepovers and tricks vs United in the pre-season before he signed? Who in his debut used step overs to dribble past a bunch of players? What Ronaldo didn't have was great end product and a great pass when he joined but effective step overs and tricks he had from his sporting days. If anything as he got older they became less and less effective as he became more efficient.

MrEleson

Talking out of your arse here.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Redcafe is a broad site at this point. The General Football and Transfer forums have as many posts as the United forums. It has very good discussion and is one of the better football forums out there.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

:lol:

As a teenager Ronaldo’s game was immature and unrefined in a way that that of the players like Rooney and Fabregas was not. But there’s no denying that was he was absurdly talented. His debut was one of the most exciting ones I’ve seen at this club.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
Why not? I was here years ago as it happens. United is a global club and this forum is one of the better, if not the best fan forum around. All the traction online contributes to keeping United relevant. If you would prefer us other fans to post elsewhere then campaign for it and get us removed

For the record, growing up, all you could watch was United, and being a goalkeeper, Schmichael was my hero, along with Cantona. And then Brucie came to us, firstly, as a player, and then as a manager, who gave us some great times.

So when it was clear we had a generational talent, and he was to be sold, my preference was United personally, so I came on here to try to get you guy on board. But many said he wasn’t good enough, wasn’t worth the money, wasn’t what you needed.

I’m sure most Manchester based Manchester United fans prefer Birmingham City over Aston Villa any day, Aston Villa absolutely hate Manchester United. And we’re not too fond of City.

anyway, we produce a generational talent every 40 years, Trevor Francis, and now Jude Bellingham. So I’ll be back in the 60s

TheReligion

Abusive
Why not? I was here years ago as it happens. United is a global club and this forum is one of the better, if not the best fan forum around. All the traction online contributes to keeping United relevant. If you would prefer us other fans to post elsewhere then campaign for it and get us removed
Perhaps I’m a bit tetchy and should give you the benefit of the doubt but to make a statement like this the day after Sir Bobby has passed..

Astonishing really.

Pickle85

Perhaps I’m a bit tetchy and should give you the benefit of the doubt but to make a statement like this the day after Sir Bobby has passed..

Astonishing really.
The level of Bellingham fanboyery here is only second to Amadeus and Poch. And that's only because that genuinely may be a love story for the ages.

Righteous Steps

Ronaldo could barely do an effective step over when he came to England? :lol:

You can not be serious with that post, Ronaldo used to spam stepovers tricks and flicks, watch his performance against Millwall in the Fa Cup Final, that’s a ridiculous take.

phenry

Ronaldo could barely do an effective step over when he came to England? :lol:

You can not be serious with that post, Ronaldo used to spam stepovers tricks and flicks, watch his performance against Millwall in the Fa Cup Final, that’s a ridiculous take.
Am I wrong that the stepover was his signature trick when he came here? I know time blurs the memory but stepovers and explosive pace is all I can remember of early Ronaldo

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

Just keep quiet. While ofcourse Cristiano isn't anywhere talented as Messi, he is still much more talented then everyone else during this era.