Jude Bellingham | Signed for Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

saik

How do you know what we have or haven't done behind the scenes? Because Real signed Bellingham does it mean that all the other top clubs are run like shit since they didn't sign Bellingham? Or anyone else so far for that matter.
I want United to be proactive like RM here have. And I haven't seen any concrete links mentioning that we are in talks to sign someone. We all saw how last summer went where we eventually ended up overpaying. If we already have our targets in mind, why not get started on them? What are we waiting for?

Edit : To clarify, I'm not asking for us to sign Bellingham here.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

I am also relieved with missing out on this. There’s been a trend of buyer’s remorse with buying Dortmund players over the years.

Us buying him would have been a return to the Solskjaer/Woodward days. We buy this obvious talent who ultimately underwhelms, whilst our rivals sign a lower profile similar player for a fraction of the money, who ends up being the much better player and we kick ourselves wondering why.

Abraxas

I want United to be proactive like RM here have. And I haven't seen any concrete links mentioning that we are in talks to sign someone. We all saw how last summer went where we eventually ended up overpaying. If we already have our targets in mind, why not get started on them? What are we waiting for?
Well, groundwork may be getting done on deals. How would we know?

But in terms of hard and fast negotiation, many clubs may not want to conclude deals over a key member of their squad during the season for obvious reasons. Dortmund have a particular ethos around sales and allowing players to move on, so they are probably able to manage the situation as the players already have expectations, but this may not be the case for our main targets. Bellingham was probably told he'll be off as early as last year.

I don't think this is unique to United. The vast majority of deals and movement happens during the window so I'm not sure why you are expecting something different to the general market conditions.

pascell

I am also relieved with missing out on this. There’s been a trend of buyer’s remorse with buying Dortmund players over the years.

Us buying him would have been a return to the Solskjaer/Woodward days. We buy this obvious talent who ultimately underwhelms, whilst our rivals sign a lower profile similar player for a fraction of the money, who ends up being the much better player and we kick ourselves wondering why.
Some hill to die on if he does well and progress at RM.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Edit : To clarify, I'm not asking for us to sign Bellingham here.
How early do you want our new signings to come in, realistically? How many clubs get any of their targets in consistently before June? Us changing managers every two years doesn't help with signing players early. Now that you mention it, overpaying is quite an effective way to get signings done early on. But that would also mean people going apeshit about the board and how they operate. How do you know we haven't already started?

ti vu

Strange strange move by RM. Tchouamani, Camavinga may not be creative enough, but Bellingham fall into the all rounder like Valverde than a maestro which heir to Modric and Kroos.

I know replacing Modric and Kroos is on the card, but CF is even more pressing issue. Perhaps we can help them swapping Martial and some cash for one of the Tchouamani, Camavinga, Valverde? Martial is talented enough. :smirk:

wangyu

The EPL can’t even attract the best English player since Rooney, the best league my arse…
On top of that Rapinha will likely return for a huge fee after failing at Barca. All are signs for me that LaLiga is simply better or at the very least more highly regarded by players.

top1whoisman

Scout
Strange strange move by RM. Tchouamani, Camavinga may not be creative enough, but Bellingham fall into the all rounder like Valverde than a maestro which heir to Modric and Kroos.

I know replacing Modric and Kroos is on the card, but CF is even more pressing issue. Perhaps we can help them swapping Martial and some cash for one of the Tchouamani, Camavinga, Valverde? Martial is talented enough. :smirk:
Maybe their new manager has said he wants to play like Liverpool, with a workhorse midfield?

saik

How early do you want our new signings to come in, realistically? How many clubs get any of their targets in consistently before June? Us changing managers every two years doesn't help with signing players early. Now that you mention it, overpaying is quite an effective way to get signings done early on. But that would also mean people going apeshit about the board and how they operate. How do you know we haven't already started?
June is not that far off. I know signings can take a lot of time and might differ from player to player but I would have hoped to see some concrete links(I refer to BBC) that we are atleast talking to some of our targets and I haven't seen any until now. It's not like majority of our signings are done discreetly without anyone knowing.

Not sure why you think overpaying is an effective way to get signings done early on? Do you also think that Martinez and Antony would have costed us the same had we went in for them earlier in the summer?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
As an England fan I approve. I want more of our players to play abroad, so wasn't keen on him playing in the PL unless it was for us.

top1whoisman

Scout
June is not that far off.**** I know signings can take a lot of time and might differ from player to player but I would have hoped to see some concrete links(I refer to BBC) that we are atleast talking to some of our targets and I haven't seen any until now.** It's not like majority of our signings are done discreetly without anyone knowing.***

Not sure why you think overpaying is an effective way to get signings done early on?* Do you also think that Martinez and Antony would have costed us the same had we went in for them earlier in the summer?
* If we start to negotiate with a player in say April. And his club says the price is €75m. Pay that €75m and you've got yourself a player.

** Have you seen those concrete links for any of our rivals? If not, surely Real is more the anomaly than how most top clubs get their deals done, no?

*** There are those signings made too. Not majority definitely, but with some deals we get the first rumors five days before they are confirmed.

**** So would you say that getting a signing confirmed in June is early enough? Or do you think it's realistic to expect that the club get them through the door as early as May, when we're still playing in June?

Last edited:

Someone

Something
Smart of Real Madrid to get their business done early. Had the ownership issue been resolved earlier we might have been in with a shout.

ti vu

Maybe their new manager has said he wants to play like Liverpool, with a workhorse midfield?
Wonder who this new manager is because what you said implying he has special relationship wit F.Perez. Because at RM F.Perez has the biggest say. He gets advised by the director.

Even Zidane had to come at him at different angle with his demand, else F.Perez can shoot him down in conflict of interest events. Ancelotti had the squad assembled for him and there were things he didn't have a say: the sale Xabi Alonso, Casemiro. Mourinho stood out as F.Perez's special friend where he seems to have a bigger say in squad building.

So if F.Perez is listening to the manager idea for next season, it's quite difficult to figure who this guy at the moment. Pochettino was rumored to be popular with F.Perez, but it seems that he's going to Chelsea. Difficult to see Mourinho coming back, or Zidane third spell. If it's on the advisor at the club, it's quite strange direction.

top1whoisman

Scout
Wonder who this new manager is because what you said implying he has special relationship wit F.Perez. Because at RM F.Perez has the biggest say. He gets advised by the director.

Even Zidane had to come at him at different angle with his demand, else F.Perez can shoot him down in conflict of interest events. Ancelotti had the squad assembled for him and there were things he didn't have a say: the sale Xabi Alonso, Casemiro. Mourinho stood out as F.Perez's special friend where he seems to have a bigger say in squad building.

So if F.Perez is listening to the manager idea for next season, it's quite difficult to figure who this guy at the moment. Pochettino was rumored to be popular with F.Perez, but it seems that he's going to Chelsea. Difficult to see Mourinho coming back, or Zidane third spell.
No clue. But I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a contract agreed with a manager. But you're absolutely right about the power structure there.

saik

*If we start to negotiate with a player in say April. And his club says the price is €75m. Pay that €75m and you've got yourself a player.

**Have you seen those concrete links for any of our rivals? If not, surely Real is more the anomaly than how most top clubs get their deals done, no?

***There are those signings made too. Not majority definitely, but with some deals we get the first rumors five days before they are confirmed.

****So would you say that getting a signing confirmed in June is early enough? Or do you think it's realistic to expect that the club get them through the line as early as May, when we're still playing in June?
*If we have been negotiating enough to have unsettled the player who then pushes for the move, the selling club might think getting rid is better and asking price might come down. Not saying it happens all the time but it's certainly possible.

**Not just referring to this summer, but didn't Bayern confirm Gravenberch before the window even opened? There are certainly other clubs who do get signings done early.

***In recent times I only remember Malacia falling under this category.

****If we are signing a player from abroad, I would want that player signed as soon as possible, ideally before pre-season starts(this applies to players signed from the same country as well) and help them get settled in the country and at the club. My expectation is for us to atleast start negotiating. If we can already conclude our business in May, then that's wonderful.

The only disconnect here is you believe things are happening in the background without any of us knowing about it. I don't think that's the case as it's very hard for us to conduct business that way.

SER19

Not too upset about this. He looks great but so have other dortmund players and if he excels abroad then so be it

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I've never bought into the hype about him but I like seeing British players do well at the really big clubs outside the UK.

redNATION

Wasnt Reals president one of those complaining about big spending English clubs and being unable to compete? It’s fine when they’re doing it though, wonder if La Ligas chief will speak out

top1whoisman

Scout
*If we have been negotiating enough to have unsettled the player who then pushes for the move, the selling club might think getting rid is better and asking price might come down. Not saying it happens all the time but it's certainly possible.

**Not just referring to this summer, but didn't Bayern confirm Gravenberch before the window even opened? There are certainly other clubs who do get signings done early.

***In recent times I only remember Malacia falling under this category.

****If we are signing a player from abroad, I would want that player signed as soon as possible, ideally before pre-season starts(this applies to players signed from the same country as well) and help them get settled in the country and at the club. My expectation is for us to atleast start negotiating. If we can already conclude our business in May, then that's wonderful.

The only disconnect here is you believe things are happening in the background without any of us knowing about it. I don't think that's the case as it's very hard for us to conduct business that way.
* As you said there, negotiations take time.

** Sure some deals happen that way. Not super often. I was talking more about our domestic rivals though. Especially Arsenal, City & Chelsea have signed a lot of players days before the window shuts or at least after their preseason is done. Would you be envious of how well Bayern do their business if I told you they've signed a lot of players after their preseason has started too?

**** Would you still say that it "doesn't look like we will ever be proactive in the market." if I told you that we've signed nine players before the summer transfer window opens in the last ten years? That's 0.9 players per summer window signed weeks before our preseason starts.

I do agree with you that regarding this summer there is reason to be concerned because of the sale/takeover.

What I do not agree with is that we would be much worse and more late than our rivals. I know I feels like that and ideally we all want our signings in early but very few clubs do.

Dan_F

The EPL can’t even attract the best English player since Rooney, the best league my arse…
On top of that Rapinha will likely return for a huge fee after failing at Barca. All are signs for me that LaLiga is simply better or at the very least more highly regarded by players.
You mean Real and Barca are better regarded? Hardly a surprise given the two cities. There’s really no reason to choose Manchester/Liverpool apart from finances (unless you supported them). Even London, give me Barcelona as a place to live any day.

Anyway, BBC are reporting that Real have offered 66% of what Dortmund are asking, I’m really not sure why there’s a massive over reaction, these are very early negotiations. The chances of us signing a top striker and Bellingham in this financial state are impossible.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
I'm glad City are not signing him. Would have fit in like a glove in that midfield instead of Gundogan.

Rolaholic

Wasnt Reals president one of those complaining about big spending English clubs and being unable to compete? It’s fine when they’re doing it though, wonder if La Ligas chief will speak out
That's La Liga's chief clown officier Jacie Tebas, Florentino Perez never stoops to publicly bitching about other clubs/leagues. He has bigger fish to fry

saik

* As you said there, negotiations take time.

** Sure some deals happen that way. Not super often. I was talking more about our domestic rivals though. Especially Arsenal, City & Chelsea have signed a lot of players days before the window shuts or at least after their preseason is done. Would you be envious of how well Bayern do their business if I told you they've signed a lot of players after their preseason has started too?

**** Would you still say that it "doesn't look like we will ever be proactive in the market." if I told you that we've signed nine players before the summer transfer window opens in the last ten years? That's 0.9 players per summer window signed weeks before our preseason starts.

I do agree with you that regarding this summer there is reason to be concerned because of the sale/takeover.

What I do not agree with is that we would be much worse and more late than our rivals. I know I feels like that and ideally we all want our signings in early but very few clubs do.
0.9 players per summer out of how many? I sure feel we could do more in this regard. All I want is for us to get our signings done early, unlike last summer where we kept chasing FDJ for the whole window and ended up buying Casemiro after the season had started because we got thumped 4-0 by Brentford. I would imagine those first two results would not have happened had we got in Martinez, Casemiro and Antony early with a full pre-season behind them.

top1whoisman

Scout
0.9 players per summer out of how many? I sure feel we could do more in this regard. All I want is for us to get our signings done early, unlike last summer where we kept chasing FDJ for the whole window and ended up buying Casemiro after the season had started because we got thumped 4-0 by Brentford. I would imagine those first two results would not have happened had we got in Martinez, Casemiro and Antony early with a full pre-season behind them.
Haven't counted the total. Just wondering if getting one player in June every summer would mean that we actually are ever proactive in the market.

saik

Haven't counted the total. Just wondering if getting one player in June every summer would mean that we actually are ever proactive in the market.
Well if it's a big money and top priority signing, even 1 signing would show us we are trying to be proactive.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
My thoughts as well. It’s a very up and down the pitch midfield. I wouldn’t be surprised if they ripped it up in a few years
Well that shouldn't be too difficult for Madrid because well they're Madrid after all but yeah the lack of technical quality is a bit glaring as far as Madrid midfields go, the only one id say is capable of playing in a very technical side is camavinga and they're trying to convert him into a winger for whatever reason.

top1whoisman

Scout
Well if it's a big money and top priority signing, even 1 signing would show us we are trying to be proactive.
Why does it make it better if it's a big money signing? The signings of Shaw, Dalot, AWB, Lindelöf, Fred, Herrera, James, Bailly & Memphis show that we've been proactive in the last decade.

Bondi77

I hope he excels at Magreed and Dortmund rinse them for 150mil.
More chance of him being fit for England by playing in a not so competitive league in Spain.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t really get why, not impressed with what I’ve seen of him and we have much more urgent positions to strengthen. Replacing Kroos, Case and Modric was always going to be a challenge and a step (or a couple steps) down. No way would we be lucky enough to replace them 1:1.

I would’ve been content with Valverde, Tchou and Cama as a midfield, don’t know why we need Bellingham who I’d consider a lesser player than all of the others.

RB, RW and striker should be our primary targets. Unless the club sees that Endrick kid as Benzema’s replacement in a year or two but that is a huge gamble.

saik

Why does it make it better if it's a big money signing? The signings of Shaw, Dalot, AWB, Lindelöf, Fred, Herrera, James, Bailly & Memphis show that we've been proactive in the last decade.
I dont know. I think I'm just scarred by the FDJ saga last summer and just don't want a repeat of that again.

top1whoisman

Scout
I dont know. I think I'm just scarred by the FDJ saga last summer and just don't want a repeat of that again.
Fair enough. It's tough when you get invested in a saga, takes its toll if it doesn't work out the way you wanted. That's why I've stayed away from those the past few years.

davidmichael

Is Modric out of contract in the summer ? If we were to bring Caicedo in then Modric on a free for a year as well would be a great shout.

top1whoisman

Scout
Is Modric out of contract in the summer ? If we were to bring Caicedo in then Modric on a free for a year as well would be a great shout.
Yes, I'd love to see the Casemiro-Eriksen-Modrić midfield. 140 years of experience right there.

Jericholyte2

Well, at least we won’t have to be subject of a multi-month mess of a transfer chase.

Get in Lavia, Caicedo (maybe Maddison if Leicester go down?) a world class striker and hit Kim Min-Jae’s release clause in July and that’s a great window for the squad.

Chairman Woodie

That's why I wasn't keen on United signing Bellingham.

I wish him all the best at Real Madrid, if the move goes through.

Loon

:lol:
The point I was making that this was horsesh1t

If he goes to Real it's for financial and/or footballing reasons. He was happy to come to City if the £££ was agreed with BVB but Real have rejoined the race and it looks like he's keen on them. Nothing about him getting on a moralistic high horse about "oil money"
Good luck to him.
Well, Sky had reported something to that effect. So it’s Sky and some City fan on a United forum on the internet in disagreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.