Jude Bellingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

I don't think we need Bellingham at all, he's a box to box that doesn't really excel at anything. I personally rate Mctominay higher as of now. That said he is young, so hopefully he improves, but he's nowhere near ready to play in our midfield currently.
He has good vision, and has good dribbling ability so I wouldn't say he doesn't excel at anything. I think that as he ages, more of that will show up in his game. Those are things he showed he excelled in at youth level.

Lee565

Would be my ideal choice to replace pogb if he leaves, if we could get Bellingham and either bissouma or rice in the same summer we would be set for the next 10 years in midfield which would be unreal considering how long now it has been that we have struggled to produce a consistently strong midfield in our first 11 over a decade now.

Spoony

The People's President
Sancho isn't about goals though. He can have great games without showing up on the scorer sheet. Here's one example against PSG:

I don't know much about Sancho but we've got loads of experts on here. So, is he better on the left?? People were also saying he needs space to run into but that appears to be untrue. He seems good in tight spaces.

The man needs a run of games to settle in.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We need a ball winning midfielder and a deep lying midfielder before we need another box to box type player.

No rush personally for him. Let him develop more in Dortmund plus we get to see if Sancho develops here too.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We need a ball winning midfielder and a deep lying midfielder before we need another box to box type player.

No rush personally for him. Let him develop more in Dortmund plus we get to see if Sancho develops here too.
Well, not really. It's either Pogba goes and we try to build on McFred, or we keep Pogba and we need a top DM who is decent on the ball to partner him. It all really depends on how he sees his future and how we see it too. Personally I'd like to keep him and sign Bissouma, but I think the difficulty of signing a suitable partner doesn't make it an obvious choice.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't know much about Sancho but we've got loads of experts on here. So, is he better on the left?? People were also saying he needs space to run into but that appears to be untrue. He seems good in tight spaces.

The man needs a run of games to settle in.
I'd say definitely better on the left. Lots of play making wingers begin their career on the side of their strong foot and change later on, Messi and Cristiano e. g., too.

Bondi77

I wonder if Hannibal was at Dortmund would he be playing in the first team now?
I really hope that Sancho can start to show the form he had at Dortmund at our club because if he doesn’t the Dortmund to Utd form guide is going to look pretty shite!

Bestietom

Mejbri can replace Pogba. What we need is a top holding playmaker who can protect the back four and dictate play from there also.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mejbri can replace Pogba. What we need is a top holding playmaker who can protect the back four and dictate play from there also.
I think what we need is a player who can protect the back two rather than a back four. The fullbacks need to be in line with the midfielders in the build up phase so they will have to get forward aswell as defend without the ball. But they (fullbacks) will be part time defenders in a front foot approach so signing a DM who is good on the ball is important. But he will also need to be mobile because there's a difference between defending a space in a structured setup where each defensive half space, aswell as wide space will be occupied by a midfield partner and the fullbacks. And defending in a front foot approach where there will be occasions in a game where the two CBs and DM will be exposed to opposition counters and the DM will have to cover large spaces which means he will have to cover ground quickly to thwart the likes of Adama Traore who will have space to run into in a 3v3 scenario.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
What we need is a top holding playmaker who can protect the back four and dictate play from there also.
The main priority of most young coaches seems to be «win the ball high up the pitch, right infront of the central defenders». It is quite effective, as you get to attack against a defence that is out of shape and not well-organized. To do that, you have to put pressure on the midfielder playing right infront of the central defenders.

I think that is why the task of the holding midfielder has changed. It is now more important that they do not lose the ball, than that they «playmake». Cause a playmaker usually needs time and space on the ball. And they dont get that anymore. That is part of the reason why Pogba is not that well suited as a CM.

The main task of a holding midfielder today is do not lose that fcuking ball. Look at Fabinho, Rodri, Jorginho, Casemiro, Busquets. Neither of them are playmakers. They play quick passes with lower risk. A CM that is a great passer today is great at releasing the ball quickly to someone who can be creative.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would be my ideal choice to replace pogb if he leaves, if we could get Bellingham and either bissouma or rice in the same summer we would be set for the next 10 years in midfield which would be unreal considering how long now it has been that we have struggled to produce a consistently strong midfield in our first 11 over a decade now.
If he's a Pogba replacment then he isn't really a proper central midfielder.

Are you guys expecting Bruno to suddenly drop deep into a 3? Why?!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Personally I don’t think Ole believes in pure defensive players, it’s why I don’t think we would ever pursue a player like Ndidi. I think Ole wants them to be able to go both ways and work in tandem as two number 8s. In that role I think someone like Bellingham could be absolutely perfect. Rice too is better than people give him credit for in transition. Bellingham and Rice has the makings of an elite midfield pair.

Bestietom

The main priority of most young coaches seems to be «win the ball high up the pitch, right infront of the central defenders». It is quite effective, as you get to attack against a defence that is out of shape and not well-organized. To do that, you have to put pressure on the midfielder playing right infront of the central defenders.

I think that is why the task of the holding midfielder has changed. It is now more important that they do not lose the ball, than that they «playmake». Cause a playmaker usually needs time and space on the ball. And they dont get that anymore. That is part of the reason why Pogba is not that well suited as a CM.

The main task of a holding midfielder today is do not lose that fcuking ball. Look at Fabinho, Rodri, Jorginho, Casemiro, Busquets. Neither of them are playmakers. They play quick passes with lower risk. A CM that is a great passer today is great at releasing the ball quickly to someone who can be creative.
I played and coached the game myself mate. I know what to expect from all midfielders no matter their position.
You try not to lose the ball, but if you do you make sure you win it back quickly.
The holding midfielder should be able to tackle and win the ball, Protect the back four, find space to receive the ball, then release it quickly and accurately.

Last edited:

davidmichael

Personally I don’t think Ole believes in pure defensive players, it’s why I don’t think we would ever pursue a player like Ndidi. I think Ole wants them to be able to go both ways and work in tandem as two number 8s. In that role I think someone like Bellingham could be absolutely perfect. Rice too is better than people give him credit for in transition. Bellingham and Rice has the makings of an elite midfield pair.
This is exactly the pairing that I’ve said for a while would be perfect as Rice has the positional sense and defensive mindset whilst Bellingham is proper box to box, McTominay and Fred or Garner as back up would give lots of variation.

Demaw

I really hope that Sancho can start to show the form he had at Dortmund at our club because if he doesn’t the Dortmund to Utd form guide is going to look pretty shite!
So true, I always think of Hannibal at Dortmund and he would probably be starting. I reckon Jude's family are very sure they made the right decision. I just wish we had signed him as he is so talented. Sadly, and this might be stretching it, would Jude be in our 23's at present? I'm really hoping Ole incorporates Hannibal into the playing roster. He has everything we want and he needs some exposure to the PL games. Elanga is another one who needs more than a tiny Carabao Cup game etc. Shoretire is still to young but has amazing technique.

Bondi77

This is exactly the pairing that I’ve said for a while would be perfect as Rice has the positional sense and defensive mindset whilst Bellingham is proper box to box, McTominay and Fred or Garner as back up would give lots of variation.
Bodes well for England then.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I think Bellingham will stay at Dortmund next summer, they are going to lose Haaland I can't see them selling Bellingham too when he has such a long contract.

Highfather_24

And would cost a combined 200M.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
That's the reason why players go to doutmund as they actually give them game time. By all accounts, we were in for Bellingham when he went there, same with Haaland. But they choose Dortmund as they knew they would actually get game time and develop.

LuckyScout78

Definitely one to keep close eyes on. Right now. I rate and categorize him as a box to box cm player in the direction more of a nr.8.
The boy is at the age of 18. Full og energy and drive. Like C.Ronaldo at that age. So it naturally hard for him to playing deep and dictate like the veteran cm player in Axel Witsel. Who sit back more in his younger days too.

So at the age of 18. With his speed and energy. He easily pass players from cm. But growing up as a football player. He might want to control the ball and matches more. Other than full speed from box to box. But as a complete offensive and creative. Playing for one of the best teams in the world. You shall have ability to beat and pass players with the ball from cm, beside being a really good passer. Because, when you win the ball. Naturally you will know and decide. When to make run with the ball forward or pass the ball quick to the attacking players upfront. Decision making. When the time is right. A complete nr.8 shall do that.

Make run with the ball when you can. And pass the ball when you have too. Right decision makings. Simple thing to remember on the pitch.

Right now. I think and like the way he is playing as a offensive and creative box to box nr.8.

So if Pobga is leaving. Bellingham can be a option and solution. Beside another good nr.8 in Tielemans. I think and looks like Bellingham is a more dominate player than Tielemans. But right now. Overall basic ball skills. Tielemans is better. But Bellingham is a lot younger and has the age on this side.

Right now. Those 2 nr.8 i am consider to strenght United nr.8. If Pobga is not playing as nr.8. Then United definitely need nr.8. Because without a offensive creative and complete nr.8. Then you clearly set up with two more defensive cm player to play counter attack. Not controlling the game. But against outside top 5 and Southampton. United shall aim to dominate and control the ball and matches. Then you need cm players like this. A creative, offensive and complete nr.8. To help the atacking 4 to open up tight defend and parking bus. Because most of the time two more defensive cm players are not good enough to open up tight and solid defend. Mostly of the time not.

TwoSheds

I read that in Van Gaal's voice.

Craig Ward

Well, not really. It's either Pogba goes and we try to build on McFred, or we keep Pogba and we need a top DM who is decent on the ball to partner him. It all really depends on how he sees his future and how we see it too. Personally I'd like to keep him and sign Bissouma, but I think the difficulty of signing a suitable partner doesn't make it an obvious choice.
2 grim options in reality.

McFred will always give us a headache as they are so similar in ability. It's like playing 2 players to get 1 good DM really. Not the worst pairing in the world, but never good enough for a club like us.

The Pogba "needs a decent DM" to partner him bile has got to stop. We signed Matic for this reason. It didnt work, Pogba just isn;t a good defensive midfield player. it literally does not matter who we play deep alongside him - we could sign anyone in the world and Pogba would still make mistakes there. Pogba's best form and traits come from him in an attacking position. You cannot rotate between being a creative wide left forward to a deep midfielder. Your one or the other and we've tried Pogba for seasons deep and despite some of his good long range passing - the fact the game drifts past him often costs us. So in short - finding a partner to Pogba for the purpose of us playing pogba deep is impossible - it'll never work.

Our two DM spots really need some work. We currently have 5 players we use there and I'm yet to be sold on a combination long term.

Pogba and anyone - the cons of being on the backfoot as pogba cant defend outweighs the pro's for me
Matic - pretty much a passenger this season
McTom - Does a decent job but isn't the best
Fred - See McTom
Donny - Cant get a run of games. Decent player, needs a run or we need to sell him. Starting to look like a pointless signing unless we actually play him.

I'd keep Pogba up LW where he doesnt have to defend personally.

I'd limit Matic unless we absolutely have no other options (rather see youth get game time)

McTom and Fred should rotate and i'd give Donny a run. Donny and Fred could be a good option. It certainly wouldnt be worse than McFred so it's worth a go.

Getting to the point of the thread - Bellingham. Already looks a good player. Probably more attacking minded than we need right now but we were in for him when he chose Dortmund. He's so good this young and will only get better. One to keep an eye on but wouldn't really fit in with us right now as our area of focus has to be a DM. We need to look long and hard and invest in a Phillip or a Barella. I put a shout out for Phillips a couple of years back, now Leeds are in the prem and he's an England regular it would be silly money.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

McFred will always give us a headache as they are so similar in ability. It's like playing 2 players to get 1 good DM really. Not the worst pairing in the world, but never good enough for a club like us.

The Pogba "needs a decent DM" to partner him bile has got to stop. We signed Matic for this reason. It didnt work, Pogba just isn;t a good defensive midfield player. it literally does not matter who we play deep alongside him - we could sign anyone in the world and Pogba would still make mistakes there. Pogba's best form and traits come from him in an attacking position. You cannot rotate between being a creative wide left forward to a deep midfielder. Your one or the other and we've tried Pogba for seasons deep and despite some of his good long range passing - the fact the game drifts past him often costs us. So in short - finding a partner to Pogba for the purpose of us playing pogba deep is impossible - it'll never work.

Our two DM spots really need some work. We currently have 5 players we use there and I'm yet to be sold on a combination long term.

Pogba and anyone - the cons of being on the backfoot as pogba cant defend outweighs the pro's for me
Fred - See McTom
Donny - Cant get a run of games. Decent player, needs a run or we need to sell him. Starting to look like a pointless signing unless we actually play him.

I'd limit Matic unless we absolutely have no other options (rather see youth get game time)

McTom and Fred should rotate and i'd give Donny a run. Donny and Fred could be a good option. It certainly wouldnt be worse than McFred so it's worth a go.

Getting to the point of the thread - Bellingham. Already looks a good player. Probably more attacking minded than we need right now but we were in for him when he chose Dortmund. He's so good this young and will only get better. One to keep an eye on but wouldn't really fit in with us right now as our area of focus has to be a DM. We need to look long and hard and invest in a Phillip or a Barella. I put a shout out for Phillips a couple of years back, now Leeds are in the prem and he's an England regular it would be silly money.
Pray for Leeds to get relegated

TwoSheds

Fred - See McTom

Pogba does ok next to Kanté. You just need a fecking awesome DM to partner him, which is hard to find. Like I say, I'd go with Bissouma because I think he has the potential to be a top DM but is also a really good footballer and would make a good partner for Fred or McTominay as well where you'd give him more licence to go forward. I think it's a relatively low risk signing with a potentially massive payoff.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Pogba does ok next to Kanté. You just need a fecking awesome DM to partner him, which is hard to find. Like I say, I'd go with Bissouma because I think he has the potential to be a top DM but is also a really good footballer and would make a good partner for Fred or McTominay as well where you'd give him more licence to go forward. I think it's a relatively low risk signing with a potentially massive payoff.
Pogba doesn't only play next to Kante. France almost always use a third midfielder as well. I recently went through all France's matches over the last few years and Pogba only played in a two man midfield four times, and the opposition was never in the top 50 ranked countries (two of them were outside the top 100).

It's noticeable that France are much more likely to use only two midfielders when Pogba doesn't play. When he's in the team they drop one of their wingers so they can play the extra hard-working midfielder. And that's next to Kante himself, against weaker opposition than what we normally face in the league and playing at a slower tempo. If France see they can't expect him to do it despite all that then why do we keep hoping he can do it for us?

Spoony

The People's President
Pogba doesn't only play next to Kante. France almost always use a third midfielder as well. I recently went through all France's matches over the last few years and Pogba only played in a two man midfield four times, and the opposition was never in the top 50 ranked countries (two of them were outside the top 100).

It's noticeable that France are much more likely to use only two midfielders when Pogba doesn't play. When he's in the team they drop one of their wingers so they can play the extra hard-working midfielder. And that's next to Kante himself, against weaker opposition than what we normally face in the league and playing at a slower tempo. If France see they can't expect him to do it despite all that then why do we keep hoping he can do it for us?

Who's their third midfielder?

flappyjay

Basically we'd need two more midfielders to match France's tactics. How much is that down to Deschamps being a defensive coach though?
It's the only way to play Pogba in midfield without exposing the team defensively.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Basically we'd need two more midfielders to match France's tactics. How much is that down to Deschamps being a defensive coach though?
I personally don't think we need two midfielders doing anything with Pogba.

I'm a big fan of Rice.

We get counterattacked like we are a championship team.

Rice sitting in front of Varane and Maguire is a 3 man wall with Rice shielding the back 2 defenders. Rice doesn't tend to move around anywhere unless there is a clear attack so he gives us a shape.

Pogba then should have a freedom to be our deeper creative player that can get forward.

Kante for France is running around everywhere probably- Rice is sitting and protecting.

Rice protects Varane and Maguire and gives freedom to Pogba and Bruno.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Who's their third midfielder?
They've used a few different players in that role. Mostly Rabiot lately (Euros) and Matuidi a couple of years ago (World Cup). But the likes of Tolisso and Sissoko also got a fair few appearances. All of them sometimes get named in central midfield, sometimes they are supposedly on the wing but obviously doing a lot of work to help the midfield out.

TwoSheds

Yeah but so do we. Bruno has a free role but he does help out.

Craig Ward

You miss the point.

Pogba is incapable of playing deep midfield in this league. End of discussion.

Pogba and "ANYONE" would not work.

Bissouma is a cracking player, but he he'd get shafted by pogba's flaws the same as everyone else does. Everyone piles blame on Fred or McTom or Matic when we are crap defensively but the reality is the issue is Pogba. Great player, talented etc but cannot play deep. Liability

France always play with a 3rd midfielder to counter this as well. In fairness to France, they do seem to get better displays out of Pogba. You cant really compare France and us, the premier league is relentless with pressing teams in comparison to internationals.

Status
Not open for further replies.