Julen Lopetegui watch

midnightmare

There were rumors some days ago about him.
Apparently Madrid players in the national team recommended him to Florentino.
Good choice,I like him.I wonder who will be Spain next coach
Personally feel the only good thing about this is that the position right now is the ultimate poisoned chalice. Zizou is an impossible act to follow right now and whoever was appointed would’ve been fecked. Lopetegui wouldn’t be missed and a failure from him could be beneficial to the man who follows as long as he’s not inheriting a wrecked squad - something Flo has to avoid.

Am shocked to be honest because JL plays a different formation and has absolutely nothing but poor form at both previous clubs he’s managed. He’s backed Messi as the best and not Ronaldo, said stuff that’ll alienate Bale. Overall, not a good signing unless Flo wants to revolutionize the squad - which I feel is the wrong course of action for Real Madrid.

Madrid’s very own Moyes
Not that bad. Could easily become the next Benitez though. I don’t see this going well for Real Madrid or Lopetegui. Very disappointed.

Bole Top

christ, I can't believe I had to google him. I also had to use google to find out who manages Italy. can you imagine not knowing who are the managers of Madrid or Barcelona?

belanglos

Supports
Bayern München
He called Messi the best player of all time. Wonder what Ronaldo thinks about his new coach now?

the_irish123

Madrid seem to do better with Player’s coaches like Zizu and Ancelotti, who won’t be too perfectionists and military like. Since madrid have a lot of talent that works.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Personally feel the only good thing about this is that the position right now is the ultimate poisoned chalice. Zizou is an impossible act to follow right now and whoever was appointed would’ve been fecked. Lopetegui wouldn’t be missed and a failure from him could be beneficial to the man who follows as long as he’s not inheriting a wrecked squad - something Flo has to avoid.

Am shocked to be honest because JL plays a different formation and has absolutely nothing but poor form at both previous clubs he’s managed. He’s backed Messi as the best and not Ronaldo, said stuff that’ll alienate Bale. Overall, not a good signing unless Flo wants to revolutionize the squad - which I feel is the wrong course of action for Real Madrid.
To be honest after the third champions I'm too relaxed to be worried about his profile. After the record I'm ready for changes and take risks.
The club likes his character, is a person close to the players. Will work with what the club gives without protest and presumably will play attacking football, without being so anchored in 433.
This smells of a Madrid led by Asensio and Isco, with Vinicius, and young guys. I like it, because I'm Spanish and I want to see Isco, Asensio and hopefully Ceballos.
it is a risk to take the team now, but I prefer his profile to someone like Conte.
The only mistake was the moment, days before a game against Portugal.
A well-known ITK from Madrid wrote that it had been leaked and could not wait any longer

Last edited:

Bojan11

Didnt he coach RM's 'B team' at some point? RM have really shot themselves in the foot having fired so many managers others just dont want the job. Same as Chelsea really.
How?

It’s not really great following a guy who has won 3 European cups in a row. They’d definitely get a big name after this guy though.

tomaldinho1

Basically someone expendable for Perez as he hunts down Poch

Thinking about it, it's perfect timing for a sacrificial lamb - this year could see a huge overhaul. If they continue winning, Perez is happy, if they have a car crash year, Perez blames Lopetegui

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
My understanding is that Florentino asked the Spanish players at Madrid and they told him they were in love with Lopetegui, both in terms of man management and training methodologies.

EDIT: apparently all of Casemiro (was with him at Porto), Sergio Ramos, Nacho, Isco, Carvajal, Marco Asensio and Lucas were in favour of his appointment

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't like the signing, Porto supporters seem to hate the guy. He has done well with the NT so far but the WC will be his first serious test. I think he'll be gone before Christmas and Barça runs away with another easy league.

Cloud7

He’s never won anything. How dare Madrid. Those monsters.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Lopetegui :lol:

From being a meme in Portugal to managing Spain and Real Madrid in a couple of years... unbelievable

Meme or not meme he has at least a huge advantage over Benitez who wasn't liked by the players at all.

Fer

My only concern with Julen is that he will try to sign De Gea.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I think Perez hired him just so in a few months time he can take out all of his anger and embarrassment on him after Zidane ditched him, laying the smack down of all sackings on him.

Tiber

literally never heard of him.... can't be worse than lvg or moyes though, so shouldn't sneer

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He has to deal with aging stars and sky high egos. I suppose Ramos will back him in the dressing room.

An overhaul is required and he won't even be able to focus until the world cup is over. Very much feels like he is just being brought in to keep the seat warm for the next guy.
Why always repeating the same mantra? What aging stars? Ronaldo, Ramos, Modric, whatelse?

Don't get me wrong but in this forum there is a lot of whisfull thinking regarding Real Madrid, not to mention sometimes the people who write this (not saying you), always forget the second options Real has like Asensio, Vazques, Hernandez, Ceballos, Vallejo, not to mention other players from their B team or Vinicius from Brazil.

Real Madrid had 6 players on the top 30 for Ballon D'or in 2017, United only had De Gea in 20th place, and look how much money United spent compared with Real Madrid on the last 5 seasons.

Not to mention their number of European trophies on the last 5 seasons is more than possibly the entire Premier League on the last 20.

Like it or not in this forum, Real Madrid and Barcelona are the ultimate dream destination for top level footballers, no matter how much money the Premier League clubs have to spend.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Didnt he coach RM's 'B team' at some point? RM have really shot themselves in the foot having fired so many managers others just dont want the job. Same as Chelsea really.
Yes they shoot themselves so many times on the foot, only thing dismisses the Twilight Zone in this forum regarding Real Madrid is the very small detail they only won 4 out of the 5 last Champions League trophies.

Seriously, I think there is a lot of people here who simply don't know much about Real Madrid and think they are talking about Spurs or Arsenal.

Last edited:

Canagel

The Spanish Contingent will be happy no doubt but what he will do with Bale, Ronaldo?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yes, he's been a real failure as president with their 4 Champions League titles in the past 5 years. :houllier:
Don't push numbers for them, the narrative here is they are a joke, a massive failure, the squad is aging, and they need more than 10 players to rebuild. :lol:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Walked past him once on the beachside at night. He was wearing a blue denim jacket. Saw me and we exchanged thumbs up.

Thought he was a good manager with an eye for youth prospects. He launched Neves when he was like 17. Sadly the Lisbon's media was too fierce for him to handle but he was always alone fighting them while our President was nowhere to be seen. He'd easily have won us the league if it wasn't for blatant corrupt refereeing. Tough job though in Madrid though.
Think the same as you, and don't agree at all with @Peyroteo that his job at Porto was awfull, particularly on his first season, my only question with him is that sometimes he looked to much possesion dogmatic for me, anyway in Spanish football with the level of players Madrid has and can sign it won't be the main problem.

Now I don't know if he is the best person to get the respect from all his players, mainly the foreigners, but I don't see him as a joke and he wasn't a fraud for me, you can win in Portugal being like Rui Vitória. :lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Imagine that now we are a big disappointment in the world Cup,with press and fans against him,to start training Madrid some weeks later

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
My understanding is that Florentino asked the Spanish players at Madrid and they told him they were in love with Lopetegui, both in terms of man management and training methodologies.

EDIT: apparently all of Casemiro (was with him at Porto), Sergio Ramos, Nacho, Isco, Carvajal, Marco Asensio and Lucas were in favour of his appointment
He did a great job with Casimiro in his first season with Porto.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Think the same as you, and don't agree at all with @Peyroteo that his job at Porto was awfull, particularly on his first season, my only question with him is that sometimes he looked to much possesion dogmatic for me, anyway in Spanish football with the level of players Madrid has and can sign it won't be the main problem.

Now I don't know if he is the best person to get the respect from all his players, mainly the foreigners, but I don't see him as a joke and he wasn't a fraud for me, you can win in Portugal being like Rui Vitória. :lol:
Ye he was too naive for Portuguese football and too adamant on his style of play. In Spain, however, might be easier to implement and it seems he has the Spanish armada already on his side.

vangagal

Some of you really an embarassment by calling him David Moyes. I watch him since his Spain u21, it was a good team. Always though he is a good coach, his Porto days was sort of mixed bag, but Spain has a game paln that suit talent pool they have bar strikers because no ones stand out.

You lot are calling Spain fav in this WC but dont know who their coach is and when RM made hum their next coach he is a David Moyes and will be sacked at December? :houllier::lol:

C'est Moi Cantona

Imagine that now we are a big disappointment in the world Cup,with press and fans against him,to start training Madrid some weeks later
Might as well sack him before he starts if that happens, would be such a Real Madrid thing to do.

He's clearly filling the gap until you get who you really want next summer, just hope for a bit of Madrid madness in between..

MarchingOn

Ronnie's coming home

He's coming home, he's coming ;)

Kidding. It'll be odd seeing him in a PSG strip though