Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

Revaulx

I'm not aware of Poch's every statement, so I can't say what did or didn't do to turn Spurs around, but since this is the Nagelsmann thread I think it's worth pointing out that he was talking about playing for the (league) title, even when he was coaching Hoffenheim - in a "we're going to try" rather than "we will win it", but still, it would have been easy to hide behind the lesser status of the respective clubs.
Which is of course bordering on delusional, but I think if you want to win big, setting ambitious goals and standards for yourself and your team is the first step - as long as you can sell it to your team and moderate it with the public.
Oh absolutely!

Those ambitious goals have to be at least tolerated by the higher-ups though. You can probably get away with it at Hoffenheim, but at a club with entitled supporters (yes even Spurs :D ) it might produce pressure to “back the manager” that the owners would rather be without.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Oh absolutely!

Those ambitious goals have to be at least tolerated by the higher-ups though. You can probably get away with it at Hoffenheim, but at a club with entitled supporters (yes even Spurs :D ) it might produce pressure to “back the manager” that the owners would rather be without.
A club without ambition to win is just a business and not worthy of having fans at all.

That little dig at Spurs aside I think you are right that this risk exists, bit I don't think that it should have a big effect.

Poch didn't value the smaller cups, as his team selection proved and that's a pretty simple decision to go full strength to win something. Instead he tried to win the CL and failed. So I'm not sure that lack of ambition was the problem, more a lack of focus on winning something at all instead of focus on just the big things.

However I don't see Nagelsmann being mich better in that regard. He also just has one league title with Bayern and that's it.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Where else does he realistically go from here though? His stock is still high, he had a good record but it seems he was sacked because he doesn’t really take his responsibilities as a top level coach seriously or in a manner thats expected of a top level coach.

If he takes a job at a smaller club than one of the big ones he’ll struggle to break back into that circle.
He is extremely young for a coach. Instead of going for another job like Bayern where they can use his inexperience to unfairly jettison him. Its wiser for him to pick up a club like Spurs. With the potential to be great with decent resources which he can mould into a truly great side then end up at a Real Madrid type job in a true position of strength. The biggest problem with elite jobs is failure or being fired there more than once will linger. He can't afford at his age to go to a Real Madrid and PSG and end up in his same current shoes

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
So are you certain that Poch told Levy he didn’t want any players brought in for two consecutive summers? And if Levy was unhappy with that, why didn’t he sack him there and then?
First. Yes. I'm very sure it was Pochetino's decision to not spend for that one summer. Furthermore, I don't get why you keep insisting his midfield wasn't invested in. Yet the summer of the season he got fired it was he who expensively brought in Nbombele and Lo Celso. Second. Levy DID eventually sack him precisely when he got unhappy with his performance levels. I don't understand why you imagine Levy unhappy before that point.

He was certainly highly rated prior to signing for Spurs. Do you think United should sign him when Maguire and/or Lindelöf leave this summer?
That's the equivàlent of asking whether Real Madrid should sign Van De beek from us this summer after how his far his stock has fallen.

Because those players work for Levy, not Poch or Jose or Conte.
That is not a valid excuse for them to mutiny.

I’m not convinced that Poch is particularly a “winner”, based on the fact that he’s, er, hardly won anything. But blaming him for the poor culture at Spurs seems ridiculous, especially given that the culture was rotten before he went there.
He was their longest serving recent manager. During his rebuild he did nothing to change that culture of lack of ambition. He so simply built a tram with hunger and didn't do ANYTHING with it and complacency and comfort reasserted itself. Its not ridiculous to pin their current travails on him. Its not like he went else where and instilled a winners culture there with better resources.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Bayern were in contention for all three tournaments and a week later from sacking Nagelsmann they're out of two of them :lol:

KeanoMagicHat

I think there’s a point where it’s too late to sack a coach and make a real difference that season. This was one of those times.

Irrational.

One of the daftest decisions I’ve seen made in football, just behind Harry Kane’s contract.

Nagelsmann can’t have done any worse.

I don't get it.

Average at Mainz.
Average at Dortmund.
Failed at PSG.
New manager bounce at Chelsea then failed.
Off to a terrible start at Bayern.

Why is he still talked about as one of the world's best coaches? Nagelsmann is much better.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
First. Yes. I'm very sure it was Pochetino's decision to not spend for that one summer. Furthermore, I don't get why you keep insisting his midfield wasn't invested in. Yet the summer of the season he got fired it was he who expensively brought in Nbombele and Lo Celso. Second. Levy DID eventually sack him precisely when he got unhappy with his performance levels. I don't understand why you imagine Levy unhappy before that point.

That's the equivàlent of asking whether Real Madrid should sign Van De beek from us this summer after how his far his stock has fallen.

That is not a valid excuse for them to mutiny.

He was their longest serving recent manager. During his rebuild he did nothing to change that culture of lack of ambition. He so simply built a tram with hunger and didn't do ANYTHING with it and complacency and comfort reasserted itself. Its not ridiculous to pin their current travails on him. Its not like he went else where and instilled a winners culture there with better resources.
Poch wanted specific players in that summer and refused to accept any players not on his wanted list. Levy then failed to deliver any of those players. Is that on Poch or Levy?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I think there’s a point where it’s too late to sack a coach and make a real difference that season. This was one of those times.
It was also (further) destabilizing in the crucial phase of the season. The timing of this sacking has been catastrophic and makes the club bosses look disoriented and clueless.
Losing our only forward also exposes the failed squad planning, that's the point neither Tuchel nor Nagelsmann could have solved.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't get it.

Average at Mainz.
Average at Dortmund.
Failed at PSG.

Why is he still talked about as one of the world's best coaches? Nagelsmann is much better.
Should have stopped at that.

KeanoMagicHat

I don't get it.

Average at Mainz.
Average at Dortmund.
Failed at PSG.

Got to the Champions League final which remains their best result
Failed at Chelsea? Won the Champions League!

Should have stopped at that.
Come back to me when hes won something worthwhile with a team he had at least a hand in creating.

Aside from the new manager bounce at Chelsea he's achieved very little to justify the reputation he has.

KeanoMagicHat

Di Matteo won one in the similar manner, would you say he is a successful manager?
Well Tuchel followed it up by finishing 3rd in the league the following season unlike Di Matteo, then got sacked like every Chelsea manager does. Doesn’t mean he was a failure, think most people would think overall he did a good job at Chelsea.

GuyfromAustria

Got to the Champions League final which remains their best result
Failed at Chelsea? Won the Champions League!
Dortmund:
Won the DFB Pokal in 2016/17 (+ runners up the year before)
Bundesliga 2015/16: Second highest point total in club history, which would have secured a league title in all but three of the previous 52 seasons.

roonster09

Scout
Come back to me when hes won something worthwhile with a team he had at least a hand in creating.

Aside from the new manager bounce at Chelsea he's achieved very little to justify the reputation he has.
And? So you have any other filter conditions like team should have minimum 3 black players, 2 players wearing rainbow laces, couple of racist cnuts and domestic abusers?

He has been a success in every single job he took.

romufc

Well Tuchel followed it up by finishing 3rd in the league the following season unlike Di Matteo, then got sacked like every Chelsea manager does. Doesn’t mean he was a failure, think most people would think overall he did a good job at Chelsea.
Oh right, we classing 3rd in the league as a success for a manager then?

And? So you have any other filter conditions like team should have minimum 3 black players, 2 players wearing rainbow laces, couple of racist cnuts and domestic abusers?

He has been a success in every single job he took.
Yet since he left Mainz he hasn't lasted more than a couple of years in any of them.

Other than a Champions League win with somebody else's team he hasn't got much on his CV considering the clubs he has managed.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I don't get it.

Average at Mainz.
Average at Dortmund.
Failed at PSG.

English media gassed him up "because we have the best league in the world and the best managers"

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It was also (further) destabilizing in the crucial phase of the season. The timing of this sacking has been catastrophic and makes the club bosses look disoriented and clueless.
Losing our only forward also exposes the failed squad planning, that's the point neither Tuchel nor Nagelsmann could have solved.
I was going to make a similar point in the matchday thread but then thought, wasn't it Nagelsmann who wanted Mane to play as striker? Or was it a board level decision to replace Lewandowski with Mane?

Regarding sacking Nagelsmann, they can try to make it out to be because the season was going over the rails but it was very clearly because Tuchel gave them an ultimatum that it's either now or never. The board have had a hard-on for Tuchel for a while now so they were willing to potentially waste this season in order to have him more long term.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It’s acceptable when they’re behind Liverpool and City getting 90+ points, a season after winning the Champions League. Not a failure.
If you’re looking at it on stats alone it was good but our performances were poor from January and we struggled to 3rd. Following season our pre season was abysmally planned, playing mostly players that aren’t even in the squad, the matches came too late and we started the season with fitness levels far below that other every other team. From that point on our results and performances began to align and we have continued to regress at an alarming pace.

Tichel was brilliant in the beginning and we were fantastic by every metric going. That’s what people choose to remember.

KeanoMagicHat

If you’re looking at it on stats alone it was good but our performances were poor from January and we struggled to 3rd. Following season our pre season was abysmally planned, playing mostly players that aren’t even in the squad, the matches came too late and we started the season with fitness levels far below that other every other team. From that point on our results and performances began to align and we have continued to regress at an alarming pace.

Tichel was brilliant in the beginning and we were fantastic by every metric going. That’s what people choose to remember.
Would you call him a failure though?

roonster09

Scout
Yet since he left Mainz he hasn't lasted more than a couple of years in any of them.

Other than a Champions League win with somebody else's team he hasn't got much on his CV considering the clubs he has managed.
Somebody else's team? Whose team was that?

And why do people obsess with "building a team"? Not every coach stays at club for years to do that, game has moved on from coach building the team long ago.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't get it.

Average at Mainz.
Average at Dortmund.
Failed at PSG.

Mainz played their two best ever Bundesliga seasons under Tuchel.
Dortmund arguably played their best ever league season under Tuchel.
He made the CL final with PSG, when they exited in the ro16 or QF before he took over.

If you apply the same amount of ignorance to Nagelsmann's career, surely he must look much worse?

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Nagelsmann is the only person coming out of this situation looking good to be honest.
I don't think so, but I guess it just depends on who you like. I don't rate Nagelsmann that high and therefore I think they sacked him too late.

Andre Kagawa

Does "nagel" have the same meaning in German as in Swedish - like a fingernail/toenail?

Kinda icky to be named Toenail man.

Castia

I don't think so, but I guess it just depends on who you like. I don't rate Nagelsmann that high and therefore I think they sacked him too late.
He lost 3 games all season with a 75% win rate the sacking was ridiculous. They‘ve lost 2 in a week since he left.

It was crazy when he got sacked but it’s looking more ridiculous by the game, they had a chance at a treble and will do well to win a league, Tuchel will struggle to lift the players after that shit.

Not a major surprise though is it when even Pep was questioned whilst there