Julian Weigl

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The problem with Ozil is he's a ghost in big games and doesn't have the workrate to cover the hole Pogba leaves, we need more of a creative #8 like Modric/Pjanic/Thiago than a luxury #10.
I’m not so sure I’d love to see Ozil in beside Pogba and Matic. Let them worry about us.

lex talionis

Being the season when Santa comes to town, I'd love to see Weigl and Ozil under the tree.

Carrick is done, or at least near done. Matic has a few seasons left in him but I'd like to dial down his workload. Fellaini has never cut it for me. I love Ander but he's not adapted well to squad man duty.

Despite our two misses with Dortmund players, I have no doubt at all that Weigl would be a fantastic short term partner with Matic and his long term successor. If there's any truth to the rumors, we have to jump on it.

Bring me Ozil too. We're missing a proven playmaker who's got the occasion goal in his boots. Of course that's padding an already strong squad but it's just not strong enough to cope with City, Real and Barcelona and those are the three clubs we need to measure ourselves against, not Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham. (Liverpool is no longer relevant to us.)

If we could somehow bring in Weigl and Ozil and if Lukaku can perform against top sides, we're in great shape in 18/19.

Reactions: Sultan

Lawman

Being the season when Santa comes to town, I'd love to see Weigl and Ozil under the tree.

Carrick is done, or at least near done. Matic has a few seasons left in him but I'd like to dial down his workload. Fellaini has never cut it for me. I love Ander but he's not adapted well to squad man duty.

Despite our two misses with Dortmund players, I have no doubt at all that Weigl would be a fantastic short term partner with Matic and his long term successor. If there's any truth to the rumors, we have to jump on it.

Bring me Ozil too. We're missing a proven playmaker who's got the occasion goal in his boots. Of course that's padding an already strong squad but it's just not strong enough to cope with City, Real and Barcelona and those are the three clubs we need to measure ourselves against, not Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham. (Liverpool is no longer relevant to us.)

If we could somehow bring in Weigl and Ozil and if Lukaku can perform against top sides, we're in great shape in 18/19.
A lot of sense in this post. I to would like Ozil and Weigl plus left back needs sorted and I’d sign an attacking player like Bale. We need someone who can go past opposition.

Devil may care

I’m not so sure I’d love to see Ozil in beside Pogba and Matic. Let them worry about us.
I just don't think Ozil fixes anything, he's not a big game player which is where we struggle, and he'd leave Matic with even more work to do, I think we need a #8 that can offer creativity but also positional sense to allow Pogba more freedom and help Matic out as too often he's overworked.

Lawman

I just don't think Ozil fixes anything, he's not a big game player which is where we struggle, and he'd leave Matic with even more work to do, I think we need a #8 that can offer creativity but also positional sense to allow Pogba more freedom and help Matic out as too often he's overworked.
I think Ozil would produce in the 3 plus he is very much a big game player imo.

lex talionis

A lot of sense in this post. I to would like Ozil and Weigl plus left back needs sorted and I’d sign an attacking player like Bale. We need someone who can go past opposition.
I still have hope for Shaw, however misplaced my hope may be. Let's see what Shaw can do in the second half of the season.

Bale would be fantastic, provided he can stay fit, but that would mean giving up on Martial and I'm not ready to do that. We talk a bit about the wide right attacker and it's definitely a hole, but if -- several "if's" coming up -- Lukaku can hit top form against big clubs and if we bring in Ozil and if we bring in Weigl and if the development of Rashford and Martial continues I'm not too worried about a new wide right attacker.

I have no numbers to back this up, but it seems to be the real problem right isn't chance creation, but chance conversion. We dropped points against Chelsea and City because we were woeful on goal, not because we were too defensive or that we didn't create decent chances. But we do need to create better chances and that's where Ozil, both a creator and scoring threat, comes in. And if Weigl can step in (no complaints with Matic, but we're running him into the ground), Pogba can step up and when Pogba is allowed to run the show we'll create great chances.

And if we bring back Pereira and Fosu-Mensah, oh my. These two are phenomenal young players who would give us the energy and passion that our critics are correct in pointing out. The real potential superstar between the two is Fosu-Mensah. If we can't squeeze in Pereira for whatever reason, it would be shame; but it would be a travesty if we waste Fosu-Mensah's immense talent.

Mcking

The problem with Weigl is, when the other team are dominating, he's kind of useless and gets lost. He's too skinny and his skillset hardly fit to the type of game we play.
A good player for a possession based team though.

Mcking

You will hardly find that type of player.

Mcking

Our CM links have been Milinko-Savic, Goretzka and Kovacic, all a bit different so who knows.

Ozil would increase the Pogba conundrum IMO as Ozil is a luxury all of his own.

Pogba can play in the 2 and he will still be a good player as he's that talented, but I do think that forcing him into a more disciplined role will restrain him from being all he can be. He puts the work in even when in a 3 man midfield so we'd get that all round game from him that the likes of Ozil or pure #10's wont offer, he'd be that #8/#10 hybrid that Jose has said he likes, but the extra CM just covers the defensive hole aspect.

I'm not sure about an experienced CM option to be honest mate, I love Pjanic from Juve as an option but he'd be very hard to get, and Jorginho might be an option as he's got good experience in Serie A and the CL now..
Kovacic would be the perfect realistic hybrid. A very good dribbler and playmaker capable of playing deep and advanced. He tends to play through the left too and doesn't shy away from his defensive duties.

Mcking

Weigl experts, would this work?
Weigl-Matic
----Pogba----

We need a clean passer in midfield to complement Pogba.
Too defensive imo. Weigl hardly advance past the halfway line and Pogba - who is supposed to be the most advanced midfielder - loves dropping deep to get more view of the game and to find space. More often than not, we would have our midfield three all far from the final third. Would need one hell of a front three to make that work.

Devil may care

I think Ozil would produce in the 3 plus he is very much a big game player imo.
The evidence is to the contrary mate, Ozil is well known for disappearing in tough games and tonight was another example, he did score a good goal but for large patches he was non existent and so easily ran off the ball when pressed, plus with having him on Liverpool were able to just saunter through the middle of Arsenal and that was even with 2 full CM's, for us that would be magnified as we have Pogba who is often way up the pitch and out of position..

You will hardly find that type of player.
Not easy sure, but we shouldn't settle........and

Kovacic would be the perfect realistic hybrid. A very good dribbler and playmaker capable of playing deep and advanced. He tends to play through the left too and doesn't shy away from his defensive duties.
There ya go. :)

Lawman

I still have hope for Shaw, however misplaced my hope may be. Let's see what Shaw can do in the second half of the season.

Bale would be fantastic, provided he can stay fit, but that would mean giving up on Martial and I'm not ready to do that. We talk a bit about the wide right attacker and it's definitely a hole, but if -- several "if's" coming up -- Lukaku can hit top form against big clubs and if we bring in Ozil and if we bring in Weigl and if the development of Rashford and Martial continues I'm not too worried about a new wide right attacker.

I have no numbers to back this up, but it seems to be the real problem right isn't chance creation, but chance conversion. We dropped points against Chelsea and City because we were woeful on goal, not because we were too defensive or that we didn't create decent chances. But we do need to create better chances and that's where Ozil, both a creator and scoring threat, comes in. And if Weigl can step in (no complaints with Matic, but we're running him into the ground), Pogba can step up and when Pogba is allowed to run the show we'll create great chances.

And if we bring back Pereira and Fosu-Mensah, oh my. These two are phenomenal young players who would give us the energy and passion that our critics are correct in pointing out. The real potential superstar between the two is Fosu-Mensah. If we can't squeeze in Pereira for whatever reason, it would be shame; but it would be a travesty if we waste Fosu-Mensah's immense talent.
I’m all for Tunzabe I think he looks a great prospect. But would
The evidence is to the contrary mate, Ozil is well known for disappearing in tough games and tonight was another example, he did score a good goal but for large patches he was non existent and so easily ran off the ball when pressed, plus with having him on Liverpool were able to just saunter through the middle of Arsenal and that was even with 2 full CM's, for us that would be magnified as we have Pogba who is often way up the pitch and out of position..

Not easy sure, but we shouldn't settle........and

There ya go. :)
I only caught the last 30 minutes buddy tonight so can’t comment. But I’ve seen Ozil produce in the biggest games possible so not sure of your evidence otherwise.

Devil may care

I only caught the last 30 minutes buddy tonight so can’t comment. But I’ve seen Ozil produce in the biggest games possible so not sure of your evidence otherwise.
Well I'm not sure what those games were, I recall one good Classico performance in his time in Spain, other than that he's often a no show against big teams, especially in the PL, and in truth it's not just my opinion, it's the view of most pundits and a lot of Arsenal fans who watch him every week, great at flat track bullying but not in the tough fixtures.

Lawman

Well I'm not sure what those games were, I recall one good Classico performance in his time in Spain, other than that he's often a no show against big teams, especially in the PL, and in truth it's not just my opinion, it's the view of most pundits and a lot of Arsenal fans who watch him every week, great at flat track bullying but not in the tough fixtures.
Maybe you should have a peak at his trophy cabinet. The guy oozes pure class he would instantly improve us.

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
Do you people really think there is a realistic chance to get Weigl? In January?

Deluded.

Devil may care

Really? Not sure about that either! Let’s agree to disagree on Ozil and big games.
I am fine with that mate but surely you don't think every player with a good trophy haul was also a good big game player, it takes a 22 man squad to get it done, your flat track bullies and your big game winners.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
So you make a thread about a player. The thread title consists of the first and last name of the player. How difficult can it be to get this right?

Lawman

I am fine with that mate but surely you don't think every player with a good trophy haul was also a good big game player, it takes a 22 man squad to get it done, your flat track bullies and your big game winners.
Think Ozil has been brilliant in the biggest tournaments and especially the latter stages.

Chiken138

Supports
FC Bayern München
I'm so sure he will join Manchester City, he is a 100% Pep and Barcelona player.

I don't think Mourinho wants him with his defensive tactics

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I'm so sure he will join Manchester City, he is a 100% Pep and Barcelona player.

I don't think Mourinho wants him with his defensive tactics
Yep but I don't think even if Jose wanted him that the player would aspire to play his brand of football which echoes your other point. I'd like it if Barcelona were in for him but he's looked nailed on for City since Pep was announced as their coach

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yep but I don't think even if Jose wanted him that the player would aspire to play his brand of football which echoes your other point. I'd like it if Barcelona were in for him but he's looked nailed on for City since Pep was announced as their coach
:lol:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Hadn't seen anything on that but it makes no sense in his current set-up as he's not lacking another ball playing CM. If City get Weigl, PSG get Milinković-Savić and Bayern get Goretzka I wonder where we'll look for the scraps!
We'll be looking for players who represent good value.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Miguel Delaney who isn't a Caf favourite, but once was deemed credible on here has consistently said we're in for Weigl. In his latest piece he writes that United are confident of doing a deal for Weigl and Soler.

Would the addition of Soler and Weigl give us the balance in midfield to free up Pogba? Weigl would be a regular but if needed Soler could give us something extra in a attacking sense, especially against the lesser teams..

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Miguel Delaney who isn't a Caf favourite, but once was deemed credible on here has consistently said we're in for Weigl. In his latest piece he writes that United are confident of doing a deal for Weigl and Soler.

Would the addition of Soler and Weigl give us the balance in midfield to free up Pogba? Weigl would be a regular but if needed Soler could give us something extra in a attacking sense, especially against the lesser teams..
Isnt Soler as AM/RW? How will signing him free up Pogba?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Weigl would be a terrible fit for a Mourinho team. He also has a long term contract and though you never really know until push comes to shove he doesn't give me impression that he is someone who would pull a Dembele at all.

Infra-red

I don't think Soler is good enough and Weigl arguably doesn't suit Mourinho's system. I'm not sure either player will be targets now/in the summer.

el3mel

Another BVB player ?

Champagne Football

The Sun saying today that Jean Michael Seri is our No.1 target for midfield. I'd believe them any day over Delaney even though they can be well dodgy. Delaney is very good at making out he is in the know by adding in inverted commas in his pieces such as 'A club insider' has revealed or 'a source close to the player' has revealed but in truth he's just reading the caf and seeing who everyone is discussing in the transfer forum before making something up.

el3mel

Why not? Just because they come from a club doesn't mean they'll be the same as others. Weird superstitious logic that's thrown around on here.
As far as I'm concerned, the only player that left them and went on to succeed was Lewandowski. It's not a just a single case of failure now.

RedNed77

The Sun saying today that Jean Michael Seri is our No.1 target for midfield. I'd believe them any day over Delaney even though they can be well dodgy. Delaney is very good at making out he is in the know by adding in inverted commas in his pieces such as 'A club insider' has revealed or 'a source close to the player' has revealed but in truth he's just reading the caf and seeing who everyone is discussing in the transfer forum before making something up.
I wonder if he read that and died a little inside?

Infra-red

Delaney says Seri is our main target in his piece from today...