Julian Weigl

NYAS

Weigl is probably a future Bayern player (not just because of the whole BVB-Bayern thing, but also because he’s a Munich boy and Bayern need a passing holder soon).

Nick7

As far as I'm concerned, the only player that left them and went on to succeed was Lewandowski. It's not a just a single case of failure now.
So we should just completely avoid them? Again it's shitty logic.

Champagne Football

Delaney says Seri is our main target in his piece from today...
Oh right. I didn't read the independent one but read another website that quotes the bit where Delaney says 'Utd are confident of wrapping up the deals for Soler and Weigl'. So he's basically saying in the same article that we are signing Soler, Weigl and Seri. Hmmmmmm. Sounds fishy

el3mel

So we should just completely avoid them? Again it's shitty logic.
It's not a single case of failure for their departing players to point out it has been just our terrible luck that we got flops from them. Yes I will prefer to look elsewhere.

L1nk

Regardless of whether he fits in with Mourinho's style or not, he's about a like for like replacement for Carrick as you can get, whether somebody of a similar mould is needed to replace Carrick is another matter, however, on the whole I would absolutely love to see him here.

LuessiT

Weigl is probably a future Bayern player (not just because of the whole BVB-Bayern thing, but also because he’s a Munich boy and Bayern need a passing holder soon).
You don't go from 1860 to Bayern (excluding youth). The last noteable player that did that was Jens Jeremies in 1998. Times have changed and it's definately not impossible, but I doubt it very much if he has other options.

Infra-red

Oh right. I didn't read the independent one but read another website that quotes the bit where Delaney says 'Utd are confident of wrapping up the deals for Soler and Weigl'. So he's basically saying in the same article that we are signing Soler, Weigl and Seri. Hmmmmmm. Sounds fishy
He's previously floated the idea that we're targeting a right winger, #8 and #6 (I assume Soler and Weigl are the right-sided midfielder & #6, while Seri is our main target for the #8). Seems far-fetched I agree - that's a lot of players to bring into the midfield.

Nick.

People are saying Weigl wouldn't suit Mourinho but have never explained why from what I've read. He's basically a young Carrick. I seem to recall going on a nice winning run with Pogba - Carrick - Herrera last season.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
People are saying Weigl wouldn't suit Mourinho but have never explained why from what I've read. He's basically a young Carrick. I seem to recall going on a nice winning run with Pogba - Carrick - Herrera last season.
People like to talk a lot of shite.

Devil may care

The thing with the whole "Wouldn't suit Mourinho" stuff is that I don't know how people figure this out, we all make jokes about his obsession with big players, but in truth he hasn't got a defined style like Guardiola or Klopp where you know only certain types of players will suit their football, Jose has used guys like Alonso, Modric and Fabregas in his midfields, he clearly appreciates quality technical CM's with great passing range as well as more robust physical players like Essien and Cambiasso.

Womp

idiot
Why would he not suit Mourinho? He's a calm, great passer of the ball. He's hardly the sort of player who bombs forward at every occasion.

Cliche Guevara

I don’t know, myself, but perhaps in your example people would say Matic has replaced Carrick and we’d have to have someone play the Herrera role in order to accommodate Weigl.

Womp

idiot
Don't know anything about him. Is he more Modric than Kroos?
More Kroos than Modric. He's a DLP in every sense of the word. Composed on the ball, greater passer into the channels, adds a bit of stability to the defence, dictates the game from deep. He's the sort of player we're missing in midfield imo, someone who can play that DLP role to compliment the anchor that is Matic and the playmaker that is Pogba

EyeInTheSky

More Kroos than Modric. He's a DLP in every sense of the word. Composed on the ball, greater passer into the channels, adds a bit of stability to the defence, dictates the game from deep. He's the sort of player we're missing in midfield imo, someone who can play that DLP role to compliment the anchor that is Matic and the playmaker that is Pogba
I agree we have been missing that as it controls the tempo which is a catalyst for top-level forwards for their movement as they occupy the oppo defence and allow more space for us in Midfield.

Devil may care

I don’t know, myself, but perhaps in your example people would say Matic has replaced Carrick and we’d have to have someone play the Herrera role in order to accommodate Weigl.
Pogba thrived at Juve with Pirlo and Vidal, a DLP and a box to box, Matic isn't really a DLP, he's solid on the ball but more of a DM, so that means you want the #8 to be a bit of a playmaker, someone in a Modric mold ideally, whether Weigl can do that role I don't know, he's usually been at his best in the holding role.

Womp

idiot
Pogba thrived at Juve with a Pirlo and Vidal, a DLP and a box to box, Matic isn't really a DLP, he's solid on the ball but more of a DM, so that means you want the #8 to be a bit of a playmaker, someone in a Modric mold ideally, whether Weigl can do that role I don't know, he usually been at his best in the holding role.
Pogba is our Modric tbf. If we go off Madrid's midfield of late, Matic is our Casemiro, Pogba our Modric and Weigl or another DLP as our Kroos.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Can we at least spell the poor guy’s name correctly in the title?! :lol:

Cliche Guevara

Pogba thrived at Juve with Pirlo and Vidal, a DLP and a box to box, Matic isn't really a DLP, he's solid on the ball but more of a DM, so that means you want the #8 to be a bit of a playmaker, someone in a Modric mold ideally, whether Weigl can do that role I don't know, he's usually been at his best in the holding role.
I don’t think Matic replaces Herrera in the previous example, however.

pascell

He's previously floated the idea that we're targeting a right winger, #8 and #6 (I assume Soler and Weigl are the right-sided midfielder & #6, while Seri is our main target for the #8). Seems far-fetched I agree - that's a lot of players to bring into the midfield.
Given we'll likely lose Fellaini and Carrick in the summer, we'll replace their spots in the squad. Makes in more stranger than we have Andreas Pereira that can play in that position and can fill in on the wing if needed.

Blackwidow

Is it not Weigl?
Yes - but not Julien but Julian...

That is why we have to get Weigl? Why should you get Weigl if you have Kimmich - and Martinez is back in midfield again.

Devil may care

Pogba is our Modric tbf. If we go off Madrid's midfield of late, Matic is our Casemiro, Pogba our Modric and Weigl or another DLP as our Kroos.
Interesting comparison, I just don't know as Weigl has came to prominence playing like Busquets, the single pivot, rather than that bit furether up like Kroos does.

I don’t think Matic replaces Herrera in the previous example, however.
He doesn't but with a DM we are more like Real or City in that our holder is the streel rather than the playmaker, which requires a different kind of #8 to a Vidal or Herrera.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Still don't rate him. Well, rate him highly enough to think he'd be a good signing to get where we want to be. He's alright.

Merino is the Dortmund midfielder I do like.

Last edited:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Sounds very similar to another one of those Redcafe fairytales about overrated German midfielders where most of the news comes from wishful thinking.

First, there was the Bender train, the Marin, the Draxler, etc.

TehRed

Weigl is, as many have said already, basically a young Carrick. He's a great passer, and will sit deeper and try to cut out passes to opposition players and mark their attackers during transitions. The question is, does Jose want that kind of player in his team?

perspective

Supports
Bayern München
He should find his old form again in the Bundesliga before he takes the next step. He has been a shadow of his pre-injury self.

Fraud

Weigl is, as many have said already, basically a young Carrick. He's a great passer, and will sit deeper and try to cut out passes to opposition players and mark their attackers during transitions. The question is, does Jose want that kind of player in his team?
He always had one of those in his team, am I right? Cambiasso, Alonso, Fabregas, Carrick..

A number 4. Like Guardiola.

Brightonian

I'm so starved another midfield player, I'm sure a sack of balls would excite me.
Yes, we're so hard up at the moment. Only Pogba, Matic, Herrera...

You'd never know we'd resorted not so very long ago to a midfield of Park and Rafael.

kr0nix

If we are going to sign another player from Dortmund following recent failures I would prefer it to be Pulisic.
Weigl seems to be one of those players that needs a specific system to get the best out of him which would make him another Sahin, Kagawa or Mkhi in the making

Scholsey2004

Whenever I see weigl I always think 'schneiderlin'. Looks good where he is but so many Dortmund players flatter to deceive it puts me off.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Still don't rate him. Well, rate him highly enough to think he'd be a good signing to get where we want to be. He's alright.

The same Merino who can't get a start for joint 17th place Newcastle at the minute?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Merino isn't a Dortmund midfielder, he joined Newcastle permanently several months ago (so can't be all that good).

Womp

idiot
The butt hurt on here when it comes to Dortmund is fecking amazing.
TBF their concerns are warranted. He looks a great prospect and he'd be my ideal midfield signing, but our history with their players aren't too good.