Julian Weigl

Yagami

Good post resistant
The same Merino who can't get a start for joint 17th place Newcastle at the minute?
Yes! He's been impressive everytime I've seen him unlike Weigl who I'm not saying is bad or anything; Merino's just impressed me more. He might not be playing much at the minute but there's plenty of factors to take into count.
Merino isn't a Dortmund midfielder, he joined Newcastle permanently several months ago (so can't be all that good).
I didn't know that! I don't agree with rating players based on their club - I rate them based on what I see from them.

arthurka

If Weigl is available we should go for it.. He is surely good enough to take a punt on..

Womp

idiot
Yes! He's been impressive everytime I've seen him unlike Weigl who I'm not saying is bad or anything; Merino's just impressed me more. He might not be playing much at the minute but there's plenty of factors to take into count.

I didn't know that! I don't agree with rating players based on their club - I rate them based on what I see from them.
If he isn't good enough for Newcastle, how is he good enough for us? Newcastle are fecking terrible

Yagami

Good post resistant
No the same player he rates but doesn’t know which club he plays for.

Awkward.
I knew he played for Newcastle but I thought he was only on loan. They've just activated a clause that allows them to buy him and Merino agreed a deal.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If he isn't good enough for Newcastle, how is he good enough for us? Newcastle are fecking terrible
I'm not saying he's good enough for us right now; just that, from I've seen, he's impressed me.

NoLogo

Really? I've never noticed it.

What's it stem from?
I don't really know tbh but I guess the fact that we bought two players from them that disappointment and the fact that apparently after the Mkhi deal we had some of our supporters and their supporters on here having a go at each other. And of course there are also a group of posters who still haven't forgiven the fact that so many of our fans were really into Dortmund when they were going strong under Klopp and now need to use any chance they get to talk shite about them.

OverratedOpinion

I don't really know tbh but I guess the fact that we bought two players from them that disappointment and the fact that apparently after the Mkhi deal we had some of our supporters and their supporters on here having a go at each other. And of course there are also a group of posters who still haven't forgiven the fact that so many of our fans were really into Dortmund when they were going strong under Klopp and now need to use any chance they get to talk shite about them.
Oh yeah the Klopp thing makes sense. I guess I am not in the first camp as I thought Kagawa was very good for us whenever he was given minutes.

NoLogo

TBF their concerns are warranted. He looks a great prospect and he'd be my ideal midfield signing, but our history with their players aren't too good.
No they aren't. It's a risk you take with any transfer from any club that a player might not turn out as good or fitting to your style of football as you think they are, might not be able to adept to the new country and so on but that's not specific something to Dortmund players.

If Mou thinks that Weigl is exactly the kind of player he wants/needs for his I would be inclined to trust him considering that so far the majority of his transfers seemed all spot on. That being said is there even some real interest from our side or just twitter/tabloid gossip?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I knew he played for Newcastle but I thought he was only on loan. They've just activated a clause that allows them to buy him and Merino agreed a deal.
To be fair, I’ve always thought there’s a player in Mikel Merino when I’ve seen him play for Newcastle.

L1nk

Tldr; Kagawa and Mkhi failed on equal parts due to us and them, mainly due to tactical differences between where they played and what we played, there is no Dortmund curse.

The issue here obviously stems from the fact we've bought 2 players from Dortmund now in Shinji Kagawa and Mkhitaryan and both have failed to live up to the promise they showed at Dortmund. But I don't believe it's as simple as it sounds, I would say they both failed for different reasons, but there is a correlation to a degree that they both failed here after coming from Dortmund, i'd like to explain why I think this is, coming from a tactical perspective.

Now with Kagawa i thought he showed flashes of brilliance with us, it's unfortunate that i'd find he'd play pretty well and almost never got the opportunity to carry on a streak of games and get his performances up, although his injury early on didn't help with this regard, but our usage of him was completely incorrect from the get go. Now as we know at the time Dortmund were a fast paced, one touch attacking team with lightning transitions, Kagawa was virtually the #10 or support striker who was given a hell of a lot of freedom in a positional sense because of their pressing and counter attacks, there was a lot of off the ball movement and in a pivotal sense this was great for Kagawa because he could play through all of this. However, for us he was mainly used as a left winger in a system that never used inverted wingers, with mainly slow passing, we played absolutely nothing like Dortmund, instead it was mainly touch and get into the box for a cross, particularly under Moyes, we played completely against Kagawa's strengths, in actual fact i've no idea why we even bought him if the idea was to play him on the left wing, he was never a winger, not blessed with lightning pace or any attributes usually thought of in a United winger, I loved the little guy but the transfer really didn't make sense unless we were going to switch a formation that had high emphasis on a #10/CAM instead of the general 4-4-2. This coupled with a higher physicality meant that Kagawa didn't have much of I chance, i think.
I mean there's a video on YouTube with a rather... hyperbolic and stupid name admittedly, but it clearly shows how many times our players ignored a simple forward pass to Kagawa to keep everything going and moving forward only to opt for a safe sidewards or backwards pass instead, or a hopeful lob into the box.. Case of round hole, square peg. I personally think had Mourinho come in after Ferguson we'd of got a lot more out of Kagawa and he wouldn't of gone.

Mkhitaryan is maybe a simpler case, and failed for two reasons, mentally I believe he couldn't handle Mourinho's style of man management, and secondly he was also misused in a way similar to Kagawa, I remember reading a recent article about similarities between Bergkamp's time at Inter and Mkhitaryan's time with us, Bergkamp went from Ajax to Inter and was awful, even contemplating retirement before he went to Arsenal and flourished, because he was a player that had all his qualities negated by Inter's defensive style of play as opposed to Ajax and Arsenal's attacking one.
I mean we all say here that it looks like, upfront, we lack any real coaching and that Mourinho pretty much leaves our attackers to do what they want, individual brilliance, it's been commented that he's done this at previous clubs as well, which is why we often look lost or lack that final pass and such, and this is a huge part to why Mkhitaryan has failed as well, we only have to look at Mkhitaryan over the past few seasons to know this, under Klopp he did okay, nothing special, but under Tuchel is where he came alive, and the reason for that is because of how Tuchel sets his team out as a manager, his attacking coaching is almost second to none and he runs his teams through attacking scenarios, drills, you name it, he may be a little naive defensively but this is why Mkhitaryan flourished, it is because he and his team mates around him had perfectly executed attacking scenarios to play through, he is a collaborator, and we don't play this way, again, we play the opposite of this with seemingly no attacking coaching at all, or at least, very minimal. Flashes of brilliance again, yes, but nothing more.

Now of course people will say it's excuses or semantics, they should adapt and such, but these players only reached the level they did because of the system they were playing in, take them out of that system, don't play to their strengths, and it should be of no surprise they don't play to the best of their ability, again see Bergkamp at Inter, one of the best players in the world but at Inter he was awful and he explains why himself.

Now as for Weigl, well we can only speculate on if the same thing would happen again, but he's a very different player to both Kagawa and Mkhitaryan, we've ran with a system that can accommodate a Michael Carrick for years, and this is what he is, pretty much as close to Carrick as you can get... personally? I'd say it's worth the risk and i'd love to see him here, I don't believe in this Dortmund curse, you buy the players that fit your system, you shouldn't try to force players that aren't a great fit into your system and wonder why they don't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Jaybomb

Alright, I’m gonna say it.

I don’t think he’s a United type of player.

Infact, this stinks of an LVG-style “possession based” lightweight signing. Good enough for a German team or maybe even a team like Barcelona that don’t rely on physicality too much.... but United are better off with high energy aggressive hard men in the middle.

Vidal or Nainggolan is who we should be after. Not this guy.

Devil may care

Infact, this stinks of an LVG-style “possession based” lightweight signing. Good enough for a German team or maybe even a team like Barcelona that don’t rely on physicality too much.... but United are better off with high energy aggressive hard men in the middle.

Yeah, like those rock hard monsters Carrick and Scholes, right couple of athletic beasts we had there when we won 3 leagues on the bounce and a CL. We aren't Stoke.West Brom/West Ham, we are a footballing side that has aspirations of winning the CL, you need the best technical midfielders for that.

prath92

I would rather not buy anyone from Dortmund after the last 2 purchases.

stepic

Was Carrick a united type of player?

prath92

Wouldn't it be better to evaluate the specific player and his attributes rather than generalize about his club ?
True but most players from Dortmund haven’t been able to replicate their form elsewhere. Other than lewandowski and maybe dembele.

Kostov

Can we please stop this ''no more Dortmund players'' bullshit? There is no general problem with Dortmund players, we just signed the wrong ones.

If we got Lewandovski or Hummels, there wouldn't have been any issues.

Last edited:

Velvet Revolver

The issue here obviously stems from the fact we've bought 2 players from Dortmund now in Shinji Kagawa and Mkhitaryan and both have failed to live up to the promise they showed at Dortmund. But I don't believe it's as simple as it sounds, I would say they both failed for different reasons, but there is a correlation to a degree that they both failed here after coming from Dortmund, i'd like to explain why I think this is, coming from a tactical perspective.

Now with Kagawa i thought he showed flashes of brilliance with us, it's unfortunate that i'd find he'd play pretty well and almost never got the opportunity to carry on a streak of games and get his performances up, although his injury early on didn't help with this regard, but our usage of him was completely incorrect from the get go. Now as we know at the time Dortmund were a fast paced, one touch attacking team with lightning transitions, Kagawa was virtually the #10 or support striker who was given a hell of a lot of freedom in a positional sense because of their pressing and counter attacks, there was a lot of off the ball movement and in a pivotal sense this was great for Kagawa because he could play through all of this. However, for us he was mainly used as a left winger in a system that never used inverted wingers, with mainly slow passing, we played absolutely nothing like Dortmund, instead it was mainly touch and get into the box for a cross, particularly under Moyes, we played completely against Kagawa's strengths, in actual fact i've no idea why we even bought him if the idea was to play him on the left wing, he was never a winger, not blessed with lightning pace or any attributes usually thought of in a United winger, I loved the little guy but the transfer really didn't make sense unless we were going to switch a formation that had high emphasis on a #10/CAM instead of the general 4-4-2. This coupled with a higher physicality meant that Kagawa didn't have much of I chance, i think.
I mean there's a video on YouTube with a rather... hyperbolic and stupid name admittedly, but it clearly shows how many times our players ignored a simple forward pass to Kagawa to keep everything going and moving forward only to opt for a safe sidewards or backwards pass instead, or a hopeful lob into the box.. Case of round hole, square peg. I personally think had Mourinho come in after Ferguson we'd of got a lot more out of Kagawa and he wouldn't of gone.

Mkhitaryan is maybe a simpler case, and failed for two reasons, mentally I believe he couldn't handle Mourinho's style of man management, and secondly he was also misused in a way similar to Kagawa, I remember reading a recent article about similarities between Bergkamp's time at Inter and Mkhitaryan's time with us, Bergkamp went from Ajax to Inter and was awful, even contemplating retirement before he went to Arsenal and flourished, because he was a player that had all his qualities negated by Inter's defensive style of play as opposed to Ajax and Arsenal's attacking one.
I mean we all say here that it looks like, upfront, we lack any real coaching and that Mourinho pretty much leaves our attackers to do what they want, individual brilliance, it's been commented that he's done this at previous clubs as well, which is why we often look lost or lack that final pass and such, and this is a huge part to why Mkhitaryan has failed as well, we only have to look at Mkhitaryan over the past few seasons to know this, under Klopp he did okay, nothing special, but under Tuchel is where he came alive, and the reason for that is because of how Tuchel sets his team out as a manager, his attacking coaching is almost second to none and he runs his teams through attacking scenarios, drills, you name it, he may be a little naive defensively but this is why Mkhitaryan flourished, it is because he and his team mates around him had perfectly executed attacking scenarios to play through, he is a collaborator, and we don't play this way, again, we play the opposite of this with seemingly no attacking coaching at all, or at least, very minimal. Flashes of brilliance again, yes, but nothing more.

Now of course people will say it's excuses or semantics, they should adapt and such, but these players only reached the level they did because of the system they were playing in, take them out of that system, don't play to their strengths, and it should be of no surprise they don't play to the best of their ability, again see Bergkamp at Inter, one of the best players in the world but at Inter he was awful and he explains why himself.

Now as for Weigl, well we can only speculate on if the same thing would happen again, but he's a very different player to both Kagawa and Mkhitaryan, we've ran with a system that can accommodate a Michael Carrick for years, and this is what he is, pretty much as close to Carrick as you can get... personally? I'd say it's worth the risk and i'd love to see him here, I don't believe in this Dortmund curse, you buy the players that fit your system, you shouldn't try to force players that aren't a great fit into your system and wonder why they don't work.
Good post. I was ecstatic when Kagawa joined us. You could sense that SAF wanted to adapt to a new way of football with a proper #10 who is fluid. but yeah injury SAF retiring and more importantly Moyes kinda messed him up!. I still remember Moyes' quote 'People say Kagawa is good'... Touche

Also, Kagawa and Mikhi are kind of players who excel in a team which is built around them. Unfortunately for both of them it was the other way around at united!

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Wow.
You need a TLDR

Anyway just because Shinji and Mkhi didnt work out that's means we shouldn't buy another BvB player? What sort of schoolboy logic is that?

L1nk

Wow.
You need a TLDR

Anyway just because Shinji and Mkhi didnt work out that's means we shouldn't buy another BvB player? What sort of schoolboy logic is that?
Yeah sorry about that I got a bit carried away haha. I agree though, its silly to say we shouldn't buy another Dortmund player because of past experience.

mav_9me

Yeah sorry about that I got a bit carried away haha. I agree though, its silly to say we shouldn't buy another Dortmund player because of past experience.
While I agree in general that it's silly to say we shouldn't buy a Dortmund player, at the same time there is a point in there that you have to evaluate the players true ability Vs inflated performances due to the system of play. This of course doesn't only apply to Dortmund but is a general point. I'm reminded of the no of arsenal players who are bought by Barcelona etc only to fail.

Jaybomb

Yeah, like those rock hard monsters Carrick and Scholes, right couple of athletic beasts we had there when we won 3 leagues on the bounce and a CL. We aren't Stoke.West Brom/West Ham, we are a footballing side that has aspirations of winning the CL, you need the best technical midfielders for that.
Carrick and Scholes weren’t physical? Scholes had some shocking tackles in him.

Weak, “technical” players don’t work out at United. We’re not Barcelona and we never will be. Instead of looking for players like Busquets and Iniesta, we should be looking for the style of players that we KNOW succeeded at United. Robson and Keane type players. Vidal and Nainggolan would suit this criteria.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: Well said.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Weak, “technical” players don’t work out at United. We’re not Barcelona and we never will be. Instead of looking for players like Busquets and Iniesta, we should be looking for the style of players that we KNOW succeeded at United. Robson and Keane type players. Vidal and Nainggolan would suit this criteria.
Iniesta was weak?

Shocking tackles doesn't make a player strong. And we don't KNOW whether any player will be successful.

Devil may care

No, they weren't physical players, Scholes being a dirty tackler at times didn't make him physical.

Yes, technical players do work at United, I just proved it, we won 3 PL's back to back with not just one but two technical CM's, the game has changed, Fergie saw it when he bought Carrick, Barcelona aren't the only team with technical CM's either, when Jose was at Real he bought Modric, at Chelsea he bought Fabregas, he gets the need for proper playmakers.

RooneyLegend

Should hang around at Dortmund until Barca need a Busquets replacement. Not many sides can accommodate a player like him.

Arka_BleedingRed

Tldr; Kagawa and Mkhi failed on equal parts due to us and them, mainly due to tactical differences between where they played and what we played, there is no Dortmund curse.

Long post, but you have perfectly summed up the so called Dortmund curse. So many people fail to realise that different players thrive in different systems. Take them out of that system, and they would look a shadow of their former selves, especially from a fast, one touch passing system with a lot of movements like BVB and put them into a slow passing,more reliant on crossing system with much less movement and more poisitioning rigidity like ours and the difference will be so much more pronounced. That's why I was surprised that we bought Mkhi, and he failed here.

But, this is the very reason I want us to have a director of football; to have a specific way of playing, so that it is easier for us to identify players that will suit our system. Instead of going around buying players like Mkhi, Kagawa, Mata, Darmian who all could be very effective when played in the right system.

Jaybomb

No, they weren't physical players, Scholes being a dirty tackler at times didn't make him physical.

Yes, technical players do work at United, I just proved it, we won 3 PL's back to back with not just one but two technical CM's, the game has changed, Fergie saw it when he bought Carrick, Barcelona aren't the only team with technical CM's either, when Jose was at Real he bought Modric, at Chelsea he bought Fabregas, he gets the need for proper playmakers.
Weigl is nothing like Modric or Fabregas.

RooneyLegend

In fairness, Sir Alex always brought in the 'legs' when he felt we couldn't dominate a game technically. The likes of Park and Fletcher regularly featured in such matches.

Devil may care

Weigl is nothing like Modric or Fabregas.
No, he's bigger and phsyically stronger than both of them.

In fairness, Sir Alex always brought in the 'legs' when he felt we couldn't dominate a game technically. The likes of Park and Fletcher regularly featured in such matches.
Park played off the wing though and we have a player in Herrera that can add legs if required.

Varun

Staff
He seems to excel in a very specific deep midfield role. That said, mourinho has excellent ability when it comes to transfers so I'd be totally up for it. Superb talent.

InfiniteBoredom

So we should sell Pogba then? He's certainly no 'aggressive hard man'.

Varun

Staff
Yeah, avoid the Iniestas and Busquets of this world and sign the Vidals and fecking Niangollans sounds like a great plan.

Next up, avoid the Dani Alves's and sign the Valencias. Avoid the Robbens and sign the Willians.

InfiniteBoredom

Pogba is not aggressive or physical? :lol:
Being able to compete physically is far from being a 'hard aggressive man'.

If you watch Pogba play and think that he fits that description then I don't know what to say. No wonder you also think Martial has been on a slump for 2 years.

Sanche7

Mourinho is looking for two midfielders and it looks like one will be a box to box creative #8 and a DM or DPL
For the #8 we have been linked mostly with SMS and Seri, I do feel SMS is our first choice as there were reports that Mourinho had scouted him
For DM/DLP we seem to be looking at Weigl and Jorginho and if I'm not wrong we have been linked with Weigl for quite some time
If we manage to get Weigl and SMS our midfield would look pretty formidable and the oldest would be Pogba who is 24!

Pogba SMS
Weigl

That midfield has everything IMHO and is very close to Pogba - Vidal - Pirlo of Juventus
We will have Herrera and Matic as back ups but guess that will be the end of Andreas Pereira

Red_toad

Mourinho is looking for two midfielders and it looks like one will be a box to box creative #8 and a DM or DPL
For the #8 we have been linked mostly with SMS and Seri, I do feel SMS is our first choice as there were reports that Mourinho had scouted him
For DM/DLP we seem to be looking at Weigl and Jorginho and if I'm not wrong we have been linked with Weigl for quite some time
If we manage to get Weigl and SMS our midfield would look pretty formidable and the oldest would be Pogba who is 24!

Pogba SMS
Weigl

That midfield has everything IMHO and is very close to Pogba - Vidal - Pirlo of Juventus
We will have Herrera and Matic as back ups but guess that will be the end of Andreas Pereira
So spend 50 million on a player, who performs exceptionally for a season, then replace him? How much money do you think the club has.....