Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC89

One of the things that makes me nervous about Ten Hag is the possibility of him bringing loads of Eredivisie players who can't hack it in the Prem.

However I do like the look of Timber. It's almost impossible for him to be worse than our current options of at RB and CB
Yeah, I tend to agree. It's natural were going to be linked to a bunch of Ajax/Dutch players but we've had a couple recently who can't seem to cope with the Prem. I don't watch much football outside of United these days so I'm wondering if that's just our badluck of Eredivisie players generally struggle here.

Andy_Cole

Yeah, I tend to agree. It's natural were going to be linked to a bunch of Ajax/Dutch players but we've had a couple recently who can't seem to cope with the Prem. I don't watch much football outside of United these days so I'm wondering if that's just our badluck of Eredivisie players generally struggle here.
I think it’s just United. All players struggle here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He reiterated that he wants to stay at Ajax for atleast 1 more year because he can play CL. So i'm sure it's out of the question that he'll move here.
Hope ETH can convince him. Looks a smashing talent. He'd add a lot to our game

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’d rather we get DeLigt or Torres
Given the ares we need to strengthen, this would be a cheaper option which would allow more funds for RB/2 CMs/RW/CF. Obviously argument can be made to prioritize CB too

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Would definitely go for him. He can play CB and RB, so he covers 2 position we need.

We have so many position need to strengthen next season, so maybe its not idea to go for players who could play more than 1 position.

Timber - CB, RB
Nkunku - FW, LW, RW, AM

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Let's get a midfield capable of shielding the defence first and then see where we're at with the defence situation.

I accept their criticisms, but they have had zero help from the midfield for the last 2 years now and are due a shot with a midfield in front of them.

Jibbs

He is too young to be thrusted with such a huge role. He needs at least 2,3 years more to develop.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
One of the things that makes me nervous about Ten Hag is the possibility of him bringing loads of Eredivisie players who can't hack it in the Prem.

However I do like the look of Timber. It's almost impossible for him to be worse than our current options of at RB and CB
So far only Timber (who looks very promising) and Antony (who is a baller) have been linked really

r0663664

Worships Man City
Holland has cheap and under rated players. If ETH can bring 4-5 young players, I am all for it. English are over rated and cost double or triple of another European players. Just look at Lingard, Rashford, Maguire, Shaw and etc. They are well paid but so so talent wise.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Yeah Timber looks really good. I doubt he's going to be for sale, but would love him here.

Red_toad

Let's get a midfield capable of shielding the defence first and then see where we're at with the defence situation.

I accept their criticisms, but they have had zero help from the midfield for the last 2 years now and are due a shot with a midfield in front of them.
I'd say he could comfortably move into a holding role. If he comes to England I doubt it'll be to play as a centre half, as he's not great in the air and would end up getting targeted a lot.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How well do Timber and Antony link up? Does Timber overlap and provide his own attacking threats?

Jibbs

Based on what?
Based on past experiences with young players from smaller leagues. There are always exceptions but why we can not take risks now, we need proven players, no superstars, just the right players with enough experience to improve the team.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
How well do Timber and Antony link up? Does Timber overlap and provide his own attacking threats?
Timber plays CB most of the time so not many know how they link up. Crossing is not his asset at all, so when he plays RB, his role is probably more an inverted full back who can handle press resistance, can pass and drive the ball forward.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Timber plays CB most of the time so not many know how they link up. Crossing is not his asset at all, so when he plays RB, his role is probably more an inverted full back who can handle press resistance, can pass and drive the ball forward.
Ok, cheers. Couple of questions:

Do you think he would be converted to a full-time rb at United?

Does he have the smarts and technical acumen for midfield?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Based on past experiences with young players from smaller leagues. There are always exceptions but why we can not take risks now, we need proven players, no superstars, just the right players with enough experience to improve the team.
There are as many positive as negative examples. You just cant say it applies to everyone

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Looks a talent

Would be happy to see him arrive here but wouldn't necessarily expect much out of him for the first season or so ... Bonus if he hits the ground running but I'd expect a lot of "need to bulk up" and "got to adjust to the pace of the pl"

I think another season at Ajax might actually be best for his development but obviously moving is probably better for his bank balance

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Do coaches from all countries bring boatloads of countrymen with them everywhere, or is it mostly a Dutch disease?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ok, cheers. Couple of questions:

Do you think he would be converted to a full-time rb at United?

Does he have the smarts and technical acumen for midfield?
I don't watch him regularly so I can't fully answer that but I'm certain he won't be used as midfielder if ETH bought him. I'm pretty sure ETH never play him as midfielder. And nothing wrong to play a CB as RB at the start of their career since Ramos also played as right back in his early days and then became world class centre back. He could become the new Ramos. So may be he will play as RB if we sign him until Varane leaves or retires and probably move to CB role.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Seems weird, as Timber himself said that he wanted to stay another year.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He'd be an awesome signing honestly. He's a bit small, but I think he will be better than De Ligt. Brilliant on the ball, very quick and smart positionally to make up for his lack in size.

Yagami

Good post resistant

If Erik ten Hag manages to convince De Jong and Timber to join, our possession game, build up play and general press resistance will all go up several levels. He's a must for me.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Do coaches from all countries bring boatloads of countrymen with them everywhere, or is it mostly a Dutch disease?
Its not that they bring their countrymen but the league they last managed at. Jose brought a few Portuguese players with him when he came over to Chelsea but since then, bought a lot of players from within the PL. Conte bought players from Serie A when he came to Chelsea and then bought premier league players for Inter Milan.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

I wouldn't worry about that. We/ETH won't raid Ajax out of respect and to maintain our good relationship. We will sign one player max from them, I don't see him signing anyone from other Dutch clubs. It will be Timber or Antony or no one.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Erik ten Hag uses the wingers (wide forwards) to stretch play and hence their starting position is to stay wide. That then opens up space in the half spaces where the fullbacks tuck in and provide the half-back option (some call it the inverted fullback option), where they come into midfield to provide even more control and balance which allows the team to commit even more players in attack. So in essence that creates the potential to overload the half spaces, which in turn means the wingers staying wide also have the extra pass option to link up with team mates, as well being a potential option themselves as the free man due to the space that has been created by overloading the half spaces/centre space.

So as you can imagine the fullbacks have to be very good on the ball, as well as providing a intensity throughout the game.

Luis Enrique for Spain adopts a similar approach, with the difference being that he uses the fullbacks to stretch the pitch in the wide spaces, and the wide forwards to tuck into the half spaces as inverted wingers.

Reactions: Fortitude

davidmichael

If we managed to actually pull off Timber, De Jong and Antony I may actually stay unzipped for the whole of next season.

L1nk

Seems weird, as Timber himself said that he wanted to stay another year.
Not that i'm saying he won't stay but how many players have said they are staying at a club only for them to sign somewhere else that summer, feels like empty words most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.